Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
it's got nothing on the singleplayer but sometimes you just want to relax and shoot some deer so you can save up money for a new tent or horse or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

hakimashou posted:

I was doing it today and it was working fine

Cool, maybe it was just a one-off DC as I've had that before.

Trying it again and fingers crossed because the best times I've had in the online game are without random players. They were with my friends but after that no pubbies was best.

EDIT: Holy gently caress it works!

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Booted up RDO for the first time in a month. Animals spawned. Neat. Camp was nowhere to be found, typical.

I go to sell my pelts and not a single butcher was present on the entire map. Alright, gets that's enough RDO for me.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

skooma512 posted:

This is one of the few games I've ever played that seems like it hates the player's loving guts. Like it's just waiting to kick over your sandcastle.

Yes I get this feeling a lot as well.

People were talking about the hunting wagon and it reminded me of when I called it recently and...

Just a flat out "gently caress you" from the game. I was about where the crosshairs are when I called it but apparently the road next to me was just a little too convenient for the games liking.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

fennesz posted:

Booted up RDO for the first time in a month. Animals spawned. Neat. Camp was nowhere to be found, typical.

I go to sell my pelts and not a single butcher was present on the entire map. Alright, gets that's enough RDO for me.

:laugh:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Arthur is a charming motherfucker and I adore him.

https://i.imgur.com/PvDoxIF.mp4

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Morter posted:

Arthur is a charming motherfucker and I adore him.

https://i.imgur.com/PvDoxIF.mp4

The bathing scenes were he tries to make small talk is so awkward.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Alhazred posted:

The bathing scenes were he tries to make small talk is so awkward.

:biglips: Let me know if I can give you an extra scrub any where ;)

ARTHUR: Yeeahh I don't get to bathe very often so this is nice.

:biglips: ...

:biglips: Really?

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

:biglips: Let me know if I can give you an extra scrub any where ;)

ARTHUR: Yeeahh I don't get to bathe very often so this is nice.

:biglips: ...

:biglips: Really?

ARTHUR: You know, I used to take baths with my dog.

:biglips: *already leaving the room*

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
he was a good boah

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I love my filthy volcel cowboy son

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Anyone got any tricks for when the game won’t launch? It makes my computer absolutely chug for a few minutes then says it exited unexpectedly. Tried all the usual stuff of updating windows, cleaning and updating drivers, running as admin, verifying game files. Every time I take a break from this game it flat out stops working and takes days to get running again.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Dragonstoned posted:

Yes I get this feeling a lot as well.

People were talking about the hunting wagon and it reminded me of when I called it recently and...

Just a flat out "gently caress you" from the game. I was about where the crosshairs are when I called it but apparently the road next to me was just a little too convenient for the games liking.

The Wagon is weird. For anyone who doesn't know, the wagon has certain spawn rules. The way I usually get the wagon to spawn where I need it is to look in the opposite direction of where I want it to spawn. It always spawns out of sight and typically behind you, even if that means spawning across a river or a ravine. The wagon will also not cross bridges, river paths, or train tracks on it's own when called (with rare exceptions), and refuses to spawn on particular roads for no reason. There are roads that the wagon just flat out can't be called on. It also occasionally has issues if spawned somewhere where there is a strong hairpin turn it will have to make, or a sharp 90 degree turn. Sometimes if it spawns far away from you, you can just go back to the menu and call it again and it may try to follow the road as far to you as it can. For the most part you can control exactly where it will spawn in to meet you, but there are times where it just says "lol gently caress you" and spawns as far away as possible, like in that picture.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It appears to be the same logic that governs the Mechanic spawns in GTA V

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I've never had a console. About two years ago I got on a western (movie) kick and got real upset that I couldn't play this game on my PC, and downloaded GUN (~2003 game that I had played years before) and several Call of Juarez games and was extremely disappointed. Although GUN was very cool in its day.

This game, at least the single-player aspect of it, is everything I have ever wanted in a western game. I've stopped the game so many times to use photo mode, I've stopped so many times to get off my horse to look at an amazing vista. I've shot someone and paused so many times to get a good shootout-gore screenshot.

I grew up watching Leone films and Gunsmoke and the Rifleman, and I must have seen the Outlaw Josie Wales twenty or thirty times as a kid in the 70s and early 80s. I have never played a game that scratched a particular itch as well as this one does, and I am only up to the first homestead robbery, story-wise.

Not that playing through the story is a priority for me. I have avoided all spoilers, I have no idea what is going to happen to me, and I spend 90% of my time wandering around and exploring, hunting, playing poker, and robbing. And doing the occasional good deed.

At some point, when I was a kid, Hollywood completely went away from the Western genre, but this lets me relive those memories. I play games to be the star of my own movie, and Rockstar absolutely delivered with this one. Just a brilliant game. I am totally in awe.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The western genre is closer to the western time period than it is to today.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Bayou is an...interesting place to spend the night in.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Do bolas replace the lasso and reinforced lasso in the weapon wheel when you get off your horse? I have 3 bolas in my inventory and now any time I get off my horse I don't have the lasso available.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Hexenritter posted:

Do bolas replace the lasso and reinforced lasso in the weapon wheel when you get off your horse? I have 3 bolas in my inventory and now any time I get off my horse I don't have the lasso available.

Bolas are just for immobilizing your target so you can catch up to them and tie them up with a lasso, ideally a reinforced one. Your lasso should be selectable in the same slot as other throwables like the fire bottle, dynamite, throwing knife, etc. As far as I know you always have both lassos on your person even though a bazillion players have requested the option to stow the regular lasso in a weapon locker.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dick Jones posted:

Bolas are just for immobilizing your target so you can catch up to them and tie them up with a lasso, ideally a reinforced one. Your lasso should be selectable in the same slot as other throwables like the fire bottle, dynamite, throwing knife, etc. As far as I know you always have both lassos on your person even though a bazillion players have requested the option to stow the regular lasso in a weapon locker.

Yeah, I'm aware the lasso is meant to be part of your permanent kit and goes in the lower left radial segment with molotovs, throwing knives, etc, but earlier when I was playing I noticed the lasso and reinforced lasso were only showing up when I was on my horse. When I dismounted they disappeared, leaving me with everything but the two lassos. I even tried dismounting with the reinforced lasso selected and drawn. I'll fire it up again now to see if it's still doing it.

Having the standard lasso remain in your radial menu when you've bought the reinforced one is a bit silly. It's a flat upgrade and should replace the stock one because you're never going to use the stock one again once you get the reinforced one.

edit: Weird, it's working now. Must've been a glitch.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 17, 2020

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sometimes the standard lasso disappears from my wheel and sometimes it comes back. Sometimes the game decides it wants me to use that instead of the reinforced one. I blame rockstar

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I've reached point of the tuberculosis deer:ohdear:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cardiovorax posted:

I have accidentally closed the game three times now because it appears to treat the B button as confirmation instead of cancelling when you accidentally select the Quit option instead of the Map option in the main menu. Is there any way at all to avoid that? Because it kind of sucks.
Just to get back to this: it's not a perfect solution, but I've found that holding start goes straight to the map and leaving it from there goes straight back to the game. Should cut down on accidental game quits.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I like how legitimate advice to level up Trader at first is to literally drive the wagon off a cliff so you can use the horse instead.

And you can initiate deliveries worth 2 bucks, so you'll lose out on barely any money, the XP reward is the same.

Surprisingly R* hasn't patched it. It's probably a high priority ticket due to lost revenue, and not all the UI glitches.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The best way to level trader is to make sure you're doing resupply missions instead of paying for supplies. They're worth a fuckton of XP.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I love my filthy volcel cowboy son

Arthur’s sexuality is one of the most interesting parts of his character, even Niko was just assumed to be a studmuffin but Arthur seems to be “saving himself” for Mary Linton and is utterly immature about it all. I guess spending your whole life on the run does that to you.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Arthur’s sexuality is one of the most interesting parts of his character, even Niko was just assumed to be a studmuffin but Arthur seems to be “saving himself” for Mary Linton and is utterly immature about it all. I guess spending your whole life on the run does that to you.

He has/had a son whose mentioned in exactly one missable conversation so he is not a virgin. Its just the first woman he loved was murdered while he was away and the second one wants nothing to do with him.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
He has a throw away line with Jack implying other failed romances.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

He has/had a son whose mentioned in exactly one missable conversation so he is not a virgin. Its just the first woman he loved was murdered while he was away and the second one wants nothing to do with him.
I assumed Mary was his first love and his baby mama was more of a fling where he did as much of the right thing as possible. I remember him speaking of her fondly, but not really loving her.

I'm also happy they cut the secondary romance, whatever it was. Sadie and Arthur being best buds feels right. But more than that, the fact that most of the ladies in the gang are essentially being trafficked would make Arthur hooking up with any of them weird. In Red Dead 1, Dutch says that everyone banged Abigail, and the gang is pretty incestuous. John flirts with one of the girls at one point and it's implied that Dutch banged Grimshaw when she was younger. Abigail is the only member of the gang that Arthur apparently hooked up with, but even then I think he muses that he would have married her if she hadn't gone with John.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

. In Red Dead 1, Dutch says that everyone banged Abigail, and the gang is pretty incestuous. John flirts with one of the girls at one point and it's implied that Dutch banged Grimshaw when she was younger.

Its not implied. Its explicitly stated that Grimshaw used to be in Molly's position when she was younger and prettier but by the time Dutch tossed her aside for the younger Annabelle and then Molly she had drank the kool-aid so deep that she was still convinced he was basically the American messiah and continued with the gang. Like she has one of the most hosed-up backstories if you hang out around her at camp.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Its not implied. Its explicitly stated that Grimshaw used to be in Molly's position when she was younger and prettier but by the time Dutch tossed her aside for the younger Annabelle and then Molly she had drank the kool-aid so deep that she was still convinced he was basically the American messiah and continued with the gang. Like she has one of the most hosed-up backstories if you hang out around her at camp.

I hate how no-one seems to so much as blink when she finally buys it.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Well the game does have a "hot coffee" thing going on...Arthur just drinks that coffee down immediately after pouring it from the pot! Ha ha ha ha...

...ahem. Well I'll leave ya to it :clint:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I tuned out of the internet for like a week while binging on this after it came to Game Pass. It took a couple of days for the game to fully click with me and I'm still not finished with the story (I'm in Epilogue part 1). Most of that time I've spent just wandering around the map, studying animals and finding secrets. This game is absolutely filled with cool things to discover.

What does annoy me is how the challenges are not retroactive and fast travel getting limited when you have a bounty in a particular state (you can still use the trains but destinations are fewer) and I have to ride out of city limits to set up camp, which gets annoying in Saint Denis specifically - and my horse has to be within range too? Also, when I buy a train ticket I can't just enjoy the ride or choose to stand up from my seat mid-ride - wasn't that a thing in the first game?

Also: No stats screen? That's a weird oversight considering how the game otherwise tracks so much unimportant stuff in the compendium.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
My first foray online, i get my first horse and am then told to kill a wolf which I do, but then it also tells me to get a kill from someone else.
Not sure if a person or NPC.
But I just kept getting one shot like 5 times.
And my screen kept getting messages like this.

So I quit and went back to single player and come across some guy who needs help getting to a doctor.
Right in front of the docs office i get cut off and me, him and the horse go down.
He's now dead and i'm somehow wanted for murder.
Not the dick who cut us off.

GJ game.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
OgNar - those "box" messages are almost certainly hackers in the admin channel, running a non-Western character set. I've been seeing them a lot lately, probably just the usual lovely stuff you get on voice chat (if you have that turned on). (I should turn on voice chat, just to see what's currently popular.)

So, I went ahead and did the firewall fuckery to get a solo lobby, because I was tired of Cripps absconding with the camp, or just making it invisible, or the moonshine shack not functioning, et cetera.

Made the firewall rule - check
Loaded the game - check
Entered Appearance Change mode - check
Turned on Yeehaw Rule - check
Got less than five minutes play done because of unrelated nausea - CheUURRRP

OK, last night I tried again. Yeehaw Mode Activated, run around some murdering animals and hey ending up with a camp way the gently caress up Ambarino way can leave you with the high ground when revenooers or a hideout spawn. :unsmigghh:

But wait! I'm not actually solo? (Cue hacker dropping a tornado on me) But, between ground travel back and forth, and fast-travelling, Cripps never hosed off with my camp. Multiple moonshine shack trips, all fast-travel? Worked fine. Multiple shine runs? gently caress revenooers, but no problems. Multiple trader runs, but local and distant? Multiple resupply runs? Moving camp to Hennigan's Stead?

EVERYTHING JUST WORKED. (Well, except a stranger mission to rescue someone - Pimp Daddy in St Denis sent me to the railyard, murdered all the assholes but couldn't interact with the rescuee, other than shoving her along the ground by walking/running into her.)

Hell, I got multiple free-roam missions done for that McFarlane woman and different posties, only person I couldn't work for was Shaky - and the game announced that he didn't have a job for me, not just left him staring at me like a dumbass.

And other than the one hacker, didn't have any interactions with the other players or camps - they were just there.

Either the non-solo session broke whatever hosed-up mess RDO is running, or I was hallucinating like a motherfucker. Because I somehow don't think Rockstar got their poo poo together just that once....

TONIGHT WE RIDE! :clint:

(Oh, and a week or so back, I managed to get a mission off the Boy outside of Valentine. Go murder another player, sure, why not. Full-throttle horsemurder straight thataway to find 'em.

Just to see them outright disappear, WTF?

A few minutes later I dug up something, and got that ping - YOU ARE NOW LEVEL 203.

Hell-riding level 200+ lunatic coming for me, yeah, disconnecting might be a good idea. :black101:)

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 19, 2020

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

OgNar posted:

My first foray online, i get my first horse and am then told to kill a wolf which I do, but then it also tells me to get a kill from someone else.
Not sure if a person or NPC.
But I just kept getting one shot like 5 times.
And my screen kept getting messages like this.

So I quit and went back to single player and come across some guy who needs help getting to a doctor.
Right in front of the docs office i get cut off and me, him and the horse go down.
He's now dead and i'm somehow wanted for murder.
Not the dick who cut us off.

GJ game.

its worth it to spend 5 minutes setting up a rule in windows firewall to let you play in solo online sessions, if nothing else just to keep away from players from the world's largest racist ethno-state and avoid getting randomly exploded or having those spam messages pop up constantly.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

Well the game does have a "hot coffee" thing going on...Arthur just drinks that coffee down immediately after pouring it from the pot! Ha ha ha ha...

...ahem. Well I'll leave ya to it :clint:

"...OK Arthur."

This game, someone mentioned earlier that it is basically RDR2 online is like someone has crafted the most immaculate sandcastle on the beach with incredible detail and unbelievably fun poo poo to do.

But then comes over and kicks the sand castle over and gives you the double deuce randomly.

I've put like 80 hours into online now and that is the most perfect description possible.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

One request. Bring the gun spinning tricks from multiplayer into single player.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Anyone got any tricks for when the game won’t launch?

In case anyone else has this problem, turns out the latest patch requires some people to disable integrated graphics in the bios. Bizarre.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Welp, Rockstar is apparently keeping up on the dead gay forums... that, or their monitoring software note people actually having *fun* in RDO. Solo session(s) last night resulted in CTDs after only a few minutes, or in specific locations. (Entering the cabin at Manzanita Post, for example. Repeatable, whether fast travel or hardway.)

Random stranger missions still popping, though. NE of Armadillo, found a crying woman near a big rock pillar, who tried to rob me and got herself and bunch of Del Lobos killed. Turned away to leave, and didn't get 50 yards before a traveller defense started right behind me. And the only reason I was there? Rescued a stranger in the sinkhole/canyons just west of MacFarlane.

So of course after all that, had to return through those canyons because of where my camp was...

...and found moonshiners had set up while I was out. :V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Since so many of the game’s big bugs are tied to server population, is there some reason they can’t just reduce the maximum number of people allowed in a lobby so that it never gets high enough to cause problems? It seems like lowering the population demonstrably works so you have to assume they’ve considered this solution but haven’t executed it for reasons