Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

ZombyDog posted:

Crossposting from the Star Citizen thread, but I like the looks of this, and I'm really interested in trying out those flight controls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBEuR1Za0y4

More details here.

lmao

e: nvm... thought this was something else.. looks like it might be neat

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I take back everything mean I said about virtual desktop

I had the wired connection through a different wired network from my oculus wifi (powerline connector shenanigans), and when I put them both on the powerline connector it runs alright despite a 2.4 connection, just the occasional half second of lag. It's not responsive enough for Beatsaber but everything else is alright.

Moving the whole computer downstairs and putting it on the main internet though, jesus christ, its butter smooth. No hiccups, no cables, it's like goddamn magic and 20 pound is absolutely worth it. Only problem now is I spent about 30 on high bandwidth cables and now I have 5 metres of cable which I have no real purpose.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Newest update to Quest/oculus software seems to make it just fine to use USB 2.0 cables and ports:

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-link-usb-2-0-tether-quest-charging-cable/

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

The Tetris Effect so far is really, really cool after playing just one level, the music is great, the visuals are fantastic..but I still can't shake the feeling that I paid 30 euros for a Tetris game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Merijn posted:

The Tetris Effect so far is really, really cool after playing just one level, the music is great, the visuals are fantastic..but I still can't shake the feeling that I paid 30 euros for a Tetris game.

Sounds like a steal at that price.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Merijn posted:

I have spent upwards of £150 on Tetris games over the years (I bought Tetris Worlds for gently caress sake), I know there's a thought that "It's only Tetris" but also Tetris is still an extremely good game.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
It's weird to say, but I have found it to be a very therapeutic escape in these times. I get so immersed and love the connection with the sounds/music. As you rotate blocks the music will sing, or play a beat, or whatever. Just a real pleasure to play.

Easy $30.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ZombyDog posted:

Crossposting from the Star Citizen thread, but I like the looks of this, and I'm really interested in trying out those flight controls.

More details here.

I like it! Ultrawings has shown that the virtual stick can not only be done right, it can be done well, so I think it can be done well here too

No mans sky has shown that the virtual stick can also be done........not great, but hopefully the dev knows the difference. The NMS stick isn’t terrible, but after Ultrawings it’s lacking.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah considering the high price of VR games that so often underwhelm, $30 for Tetris of all games seems okay to me. At worst it's still one of the greatest games ever.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I like it! Ultrawings has shown that the virtual stick can not only be done right, it can be done well, so I think it can be done well here too

No mans sky has shown that the virtual stick can also be done........not great, but hopefully the dev knows the difference. The NMS stick isn’t terrible, but after Ultrawings it’s lacking.

I like the virtual stick in Ultrawings alright, but I really wish every cockpit game would have the option to use physical controllers. I splashed out for a nice HOTAS setup, find it much more immersive, and I want to use it dammit.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

ZombyDog posted:

More details here.

Certainly looks cool, but it's also being developed by 1 person over the course of 7 years, who is also pursuing their thesis and has a job. This game ain't ever coming out, just like Star Citizen :lmao:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Another arcade racing game, this one seems focused on offering both overview, third person and first person views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLa6VlOBOgQ

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

NVIDIA Launches CloudXR 1.0 SDK to Enable AR/VR Streaming Services in the Cloud

It's kinda like Stadia but for VR/AR, I guess.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's really laying the groundwork more likely for them to offer VR stuff as part of GeForce Now, which started real strong but started to crumble as more and more companies stopped their games working on it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ah yes, VR; the medium where even the slightest latency can cause motion sickness. It's perfect for a streaming service! :pseudo:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I know EGS but if you "buy" the free game (GTA 5) you get the $10 off $15 coupon which is good for Tetris Effect, which is ALSO on sale for $28. So $18.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Cool, I’m glad VR streaming tech is getting some more attention. Using Shadow to stream PCVR wirelessly (Mac owners lol) has been fantastic but I’m fortunate to have very low latency to the CA data center along with a good router and fiber internet.

I could see Facebook taking a stab at this with a Quest successor down the line; they certainly have enough data centers around the world to optimize latency and the local WiFi network bottleneck could be solved by selling an optional dongle or whatever.

Doubt it’ll be possible to stream stuff like BeatSaber E+ maps, but I’ve been very happy with less twitchy games.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hmm I haven’t had a great experience with ultra wings’ virtual stick with my Valve Index. For some reason after like 20 seconds of my hand not moving very much (like when holding the stick in UW), the controller will start vibrating violently likes it’s losing tracking. I have to start waving my hand around to make it go away, and sometimes it just doesn’t. This hasn’t happened in any other game, and I’ve tried moving to different spots in my space to make sure there’s zero occlusion between myself and the lighthouses. It’s very strange and basically makes UW unplayable.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Brownie posted:

Hmm I haven’t had a great experience with ultra wings’ virtual stick with my Valve Index. For some reason after like 20 seconds of my hand not moving very much (like when holding the stick in UW), the controller will start vibrating violently likes it’s losing tracking. I have to start waving my hand around to make it go away, and sometimes it just doesn’t. This hasn’t happened in any other game, and I’ve tried moving to different spots in my space to make sure there’s zero occlusion between myself and the lighthouses. It’s very strange and basically makes UW unplayable.

Heck of a job, Brownie

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

charity rereg posted:

I know EGS but if you "buy" the free game (GTA 5) you get the $10 off $15 coupon which is good for Tetris Effect, which is ALSO on sale for $28. So $18.

You get one of those coupons just for logging in, then another whenever you spend $15/£15. Still a solid deal since I'd assume TE is one of those games you don't actually need the Epic Launcher open to start since it runs off SteamVR.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ah yes, VR; the medium where even the slightest latency can cause motion sickness. It's perfect for a streaming service! :pseudo:

Realistically I can see a few possible ways that some kind of partial cloud processing could work for VR and/or AR.

The most obvious uses are in AR, where the cloud service could be processing and classifying the world, then delivering that data to the client to render an overlay.

I could also see more limited use cases in both VR and AR for rendering detailed distant objects that then just get delivered to the client as a 360 sphere, then the local renderer handles anything close enough to interact with or experience a significant shift in view of when moving around.

edit: removed extra word

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 15, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

wolrah posted:

Realistically I can see a few possible ways that some kind of partial cloud processing could realistically work for VR and/or AR.

Nvidia's R&D people have floated the idea of offloading dynamic global illumination to the cloud, since a bit of latency in indirect lighting isn't especially noticeable. Primary visibility and direct lighting would still be done locally.

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1026182 @ 49:30

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Brownie posted:

Does the game by any chance apply haptic feedback when it's happening? I've found that strong, longer lasting vibrations can gently caress with the Index controllers' IMUs, causing them to report garbage acceleration values that you then see as your virtual controllers floating/jittering away. I had the same thing happen in Boneworks when full auto firing some of the guns until I turned down the haptic feedback strength in the game options. Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to adjust this globally from within SteamVR, so if the game doesn't offer that option, you're kinda SOL.

I think this problem is a design and/or manufacturing defect that affects a good amount of Index controllers - at least all three controllers I had so far exhibit the same symptoms to some extent. Though maybe I'm just unlucky, as some people report them being rock solid. Some of that may also just depend on the type of game people are playing. In any game with lots of controller movement (e.g. Beat Saber) you probably won't notice any jittering or it doesn't even happen due to the IMUs receiving actual acceleration input that overrules the vibration forces. Games where you keep your controller very still, like in your case for holding the flight stick, or when aiming down a rifle, will probably highlight this issue much more.

If you search Google for something like "index controller tracking loss haptic feedback" you'll find quite a few results describing exactly that behavior, but there isn't really a resolution. You can try the RMA roulette, but I'm not sure it's gonna help. I believe Valve could fix this problem to some extent via software by better filtering out/ignoring IMU values while haptic feedback is being applied. Maybe some day...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah Ultrawings uses all different types and strength of haptics to tell you where the stick is

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://steamcommunity.com/games/546560/announcements/detail/3758762298552654078

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That is awesome!!

Also, this fix

quote:

Fixed some occurrences of the player's in-game hands shaken

Annoyed the hell out of me and I’m glad it’s fixed

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Tetris VR Effect update: I played some more levels and my only complaint so far is really, really intense controller vibration. When one of the levels ended, it was literally 10 straight seconds of buzzing bees in my hands. It's really taking me out of immersion, so I turned it off. Which is a shame, because the vibration works great in Beat Saber.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Merijn posted:

Tetris VR Effect update: I played some more levels and my only complaint so far is really, really intense controller vibration. When one of the levels ended, it was literally 10 straight seconds of buzzing bees in my hands. It's really taking me out of immersion, so I turned it off. Which is a shame, because the vibration works great in Beat Saber.

Strange I didn't have that experience at all. My only complaint is my skills at Tetris.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

repiv posted:

Nvidia's R&D people have floated the idea of offloading dynamic global illumination to the cloud, since a bit of latency in indirect lighting isn't especially noticeable. Primary visibility and direct lighting would still be done locally.

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1026182 @ 49:30

Neat! I guess basically anything that would commonly be prebaked in to a world but that a developer wants to make mildly dynamic in a way not directly attached to player actions could be implemented like this. If a few seconds one way or another doesn't matter, then it's certainly a way to cheat a better looking game out of lower end hardware.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leathal posted:

Cool, I’m glad VR streaming tech is getting some more attention. Using Shadow to stream PCVR wirelessly (Mac owners lol) has been fantastic but I’m fortunate to have very low latency to the CA data center along with a good router and fiber internet.

I could see Facebook taking a stab at this with a Quest successor down the line; they certainly have enough data centers around the world to optimize latency and the local WiFi network bottleneck could be solved by selling an optional dongle or whatever.

Doubt it’ll be possible to stream stuff like BeatSaber E+ maps, but I’ve been very happy with less twitchy games.

Lol, no. Streamed gaming NOW slams into a bandwidth bottleneck even in places with fibre networks, and for VR you gotta double that to render for both eyes. It's not a fixable problem either, because the companies trying to make streamed gaming A Thing aren't the ones who own the infrastructure between you and their datacenters.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lol, no. Streamed gaming NOW slams into a bandwidth bottleneck even in places with fibre networks, and for VR you gotta double that to render for both eyes. It's not a fixable problem either, because the companies trying to make streamed gaming A Thing aren't the ones who own the infrastructure between you and their datacenters.

Good Stadia will be bringing the VR future into our homes soon enough, surely. :downs:

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Mean, Tetris Effect is awesome. I'm glad I somehow managed to avoid watching any videos of it over the last couple of years it's been available on other platforms, because it really was a cool discovery trip losing myself in a lounge chair late at night with decent headphones thumping away.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I spent over an hour trying to rearrange my room to optimize space for VR and turned out my computer desk was just slightly too big for everything to work out properly :shepface:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any kind of sideload I can install on my Quest to let it share the media library via Twitter posts rather than my Facebook wall?

I know, locked ecosystem, I’m shocked.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Martytoof posted:

Is there any kind of sideload I can install on my Quest to let it share the media library via Twitter posts rather than my Facebook wall?

I'm surprised there isn't some sort of native Facebook / Messenger integration into the Quest. As someone who's family and friends all use Messenger it'd be kind of neat to have a virtual wall pop up with notifications and the ability to reply.

Though I get that would be absolutely something a very vocal minority would absolutely despise, so maybe not.

There was a fun feature in the original rift on release where you could video call someone on messenger and you'd be a avatar in 3D space, with some drawing tools and props to muck about with. It was a fun novelty apart from the fact I never video called anyone - though now there's covid it'd be fun to revisit.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Now you bring it up I'm honestly surprised no-one's come up with just a Twitter posting app through Sidequest. It's an Android OS so shouldn't be that hard.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Isometric Bacon posted:

Mean, Tetris Effect is awesome. I'm glad I somehow managed to avoid watching any videos of it over the last couple of years it's been available on other platforms, because it really was a cool discovery trip losing myself in a lounge chair late at night with decent headphones thumping away.

Same! I went into the game completely blank, except for a trailer I saw something like 4 years ago. And it certainly helps that the very first level is most certainly the coolest!

My kids are enjoying it as well, when I cast to the TV. They're too young to put on the VR headset themselves, but this helps.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Quick question for you guys: I installed the kiwi cable system for my Vive a while back and it seems pretty cool so far. However it makes storing the HMD a bit awkward, do you guys think it would be OK to use one of the included hooks (of which I have more than I needed) to hang the vive from the ceiling as well?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

SEKCobra posted:

Quick question for you guys: I installed the kiwi cable system for my Vive a while back and it seems pretty cool so far. However it makes storing the HMD a bit awkward, do you guys think it would be OK to use one of the included hooks (of which I have more than I needed) to hang the vive from the ceiling as well?

I had a homebrew version of this system (ceiling hooks and badge reels) for my rift / rift S and I never had a problem hanging my HMD from it. Now I’m using an odyssey plus and the back is way too large to fit in one of the hooks so I have to disconnect the whole thing from the badge reels and just set the HMD on my desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

GutBomb posted:

I had a homebrew version of this system (ceiling hooks and badge reels) for my rift / rift S and I never had a problem hanging my HMD from it. Now I’m using an odyssey plus and the back is way too large to fit in one of the hooks so I have to disconnect the whole thing from the badge reels and just set the HMD on my desk.

Some guy on the internet uses this as a solution for your problem it seems:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...f1091ba3ea10608