Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

anti-depression meds are barely better than placebo in studies, and ssris in particular have a whole laundry list of side effects. i know some people swear by them, but i wouldn't touch them personally. weed is a pretty good anti depressant though imo

their effect on the scores of a few particular multiple choice tests given to people willing to enroll in a paid study are barely above placebo

their affect on your brain is huge and un-subtle but whether that will help your anxiety or depression or whatever is hard to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

shame on you for the attachment
i love tater tho

he's just a regular dog at this point :shrug:

middle-aged, bark that's louder than bombs, bad skin allergies

but yeah he still runs my universe

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

a cuddly despot

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Tayter Swift posted:

nargle is 13 now (14 on the 3rd of July) and has a weird bump on her neck but the vet said its benign and they'd need to anesthetize to get rid of it which is sketchy with older pets, and as long as it doesn't get bigger it's just an Old Cat thing and she can still run around like crazy and claw my hand up when i go for the Belly and she still chases her catnip toys and trills at birds when she's on the porch. i feel it. she is the reason i wake up every morning and the reason i go to bed every night

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

remember all psych med research is based on people undergoing regular therapy, just giving them meds and not having them in regular counseling is a dice roll, like that antidepressant side effect where people finally get enough motivation to attempt suicide

this is a good point, and in fact it is entirely believable that medication that just noticeably changes your state of mind (even if it isn't in itself an improvement) would help combined therapy. just to help break bad cycles and behaviors by forcing you into a new starting point.

but tbqh everyone should be a bit careful being down on meds if they're not a doctor/expert. data may be poor, but i am pretty sure the average yospos opinion is based on worse information and knowledge still.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is a good point, and in fact it is entirely believable that medication that just noticeably changes your state of mind (even if it isn't in itself an improvement) would help combined therapy. just to help break bad cycles and behaviors by forcing you into a new starting point.

but tbqh everyone should be a bit careful being down on meds if they're not a doctor/expert. data may be poor, but i am pretty sure the average yospos opinion is based on worse information and knowledge still.

psych meds definitely help people, but there's something wrong with us culture when we take meds at twice the rate of other countries. rather than just relying on pills, imo people should also focus on whatever underlying issues they have in their life that are making them miserable. the side effects are often significant, and shouldn't just be accepted out of hand. there are a lot of other treatment options to treat depression than ssris, such as therapy, exercise and so on. too often people just take a pill to paper over things, which may be the american way but it's not exactly best practice

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

psych meds definitely help people, but there's something wrong with us culture when we take meds at twice the rate of other countries. rather than just relying on pills, imo people should also focus on whatever underlying issues they have in their life that are making them miserable. the side effects are often significant, and shouldn't just be accepted out of hand. there are a lot of other treatment options to treat depression than ssris, such as therapy, exercise and so on. too often people just take a pill to paper over things, which may be the american way but it's not exactly best practice

depression and anxiety are natural when your situation is bad and you don't believe that you have any power to change it. a lot of people actually are powerless to change their bad situation in this society, and us culture reinforces the idea that that's an individual problem, not something to be addressed systemically.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Tayter Swift posted:

tater is not making the photo thing easy rn so heres a really lovely phone pic from last week

hell yeah tater :3:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SamDabbers posted:

depression and anxiety are natural when your situation is bad and you don't believe that you have any power to change it. a lot of people actually are powerless to change their bad situation in this society, and us culture reinforces the idea that that's an individual problem, not something to be addressed systemically.

it's a fuckin dice roll down there in freedomland when it comes to getting sadbrains sorted out. a friend of mine in virginia finally got some help (combination of therapy and lexapro) after 30 years of depression and anxiety. it's only been a week and he's feeling infinitely better :unsmith:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

it's a fuckin dice roll down there in freedomland when it comes to getting sadbrains sorted out. a friend of mine in virginia finally got some help (combination of therapy and lexapro) after 30 years of depression and anxiety. it's only been a week and he's feeling infinitely better :unsmith:

i'm glad for your friend, and wish him well on his journey :unsmith:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Tayter Swift posted:

tater is not making the photo thing easy rn so heres a really lovely phone pic from last week

that's good enough! wanna scritch them ears

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

SamDabbers posted:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
“gently caress you got mine”, says ghoul who hosed you and got theirs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Yeah I wasn't trying to tell people to not take psych meds, just to try to have ongoing counseling if you can. most people I know who have been on them a long time have switched meds or dosing at least once and your gp absolutely does not know how to do that properly

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The worst thing about psych meds are sanctimonious assholes treating mental illness like it's a challenge to be overcome rather than your own brain trying to loving kill you.

Go gently caress yourself.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
JUST GO FOR WALK
   /
  /
:byodood:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
WHAT'S THAT, YOU DON'T HAVE MONEY OR TIME FOR THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS AND HUNDREDS OF HOURS OF THERAPY?

WELP,

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's apparently extremely ableist to tell someone they should be monitored by an expert when taking potentially fatal medication that was only shown effective under the exact conditions of said monitoring

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

qirex posted:

it's apparently extremely ableist to tell someone they should be monitored by an expert when taking potentially fatal medication that was only shown effective under the exact conditions of said monitoring

i don't think that. i'm just shitposting.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

about 1 in 4 women in their 40s and 50s are on antidepressants in the us. that seems probably excessive to me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Broken Machine posted:

about 1 in 4 women in their 40s and 50s are on antidepressants in the us. that seems probably excessive to me

thats when western culture throws women in the garbage though? (unless they're rich, in which case they become _classy_ and _timeless_ and _martha stewart_)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Hail Xenu you bitches, he gonna crash into a volcano with your souls onboard an MD-80 or some poo poo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

prior to the existence of antidepressants and anxiolytics, everyone was just drunk all time.

people don't really default to happy and the capitalist hell world doesn't help at all. it's a constant battle to stay positive. welcome to life.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

prior to the existence of antidepressants and anxiolytics, everyone was just drunk all time.

people don't really default to happy and the capitalist hell world doesn't help at all. it's a constant battle to stay positive. welcome to life.

what i'm getting at is what this psych doc talks about in this article. huffpo but whatever

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Paneer Tikka Masala: surprisingly p.deece.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

Paneer Tikka Masala: surprisingly p.deece.

did you make it yourself?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qirex posted:

did you make it yourself?

Had to peel back the plastic foil and everything!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

:crossarms:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Film?

:shrug:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I bought a tandoori chicken spice mix from an indian store but I couldn't get the chicken right, probably something to do with the fact that my oven does not reach 1200 degrees

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

I bought a tandoori chicken spice mix from an indian store but I couldn't get the chicken right, probably something to do with the fact that my oven does not reach 1200 degrees

i roasted a chicken at 425 last night and the fat smoked a little and fuzzywife was like, "the kitchen is burning!" and lit some candles to cover the awesome scent of roast chicken wafting about lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Broken Machine posted:

women be doctor shopping

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I have a microwave at work and it's faster than toaster-ovening Trader Joes like at home?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
well, yes

nobody buys a toaster oven because they're faster than a microwave

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
With a microwave I actually have to stop and stir after two minutes though, unlike with a toaster oven?

"Swings and round-abouts" (as the kids say these days).

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Schadenboner posted:

(as the kids say these days)

STOOOOP

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Schadenboner posted:

With a microwave I actually have to stop and stir after two minutes though, unlike with a toaster oven?

"Swings and round-abouts" (as the kids say these days).

you either need to talk to more kids to better familiarize yourself with their spidery thieves cant, or pull back entirely, because kids these days absolutely do not say that

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

Hail Xenu you bitches, he gonna crash into a volcano with your souls onboard an MD-80 or some poo poo.

We have been informed that it was actually a DC-8, not an MD-80.

In these times of uncertainty Schadenposting S.C. strives for the very highest-quality in shitposting and we regret the error.

We're all in this together!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

We have been informed that it was actually a DC-8, not an MD-80.

In these times of uncertainty Schadenposting S.C. strives for the very highest-quality in shitposting and we regret the error.

We're all in this together!

Dianeetics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

qirex posted:

You need some kind of grill rack OP. If you line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a grill rack over it, you have all you need to make tandoori whatever.