Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

oh yeah, there was a warg there. I guess that's the cause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah, your colonists will be fine, they'll eat normally.

The warg will go run off and murder something the moment you get to a new map. If it's home, they may even head straight for the corpse freezer.

I've used wargs for short distance raids as mounts in Giddy-Up!, figuring that they can join the colonists in the base clearing and then have a snack while the colonists are looting the base. If it's a longer trek back, sometimes I'll pick up a corpse for the way back so they can snack on the go with the burdened pack animals, which they'll clear the corpse out (and the high weight) decently quickly in compared to the length of the trip.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Vengarr posted:

Lavish meal restriction is the default, it lets them eat anything.

I think the problem is that colonists don’t eat food stored on a pack animal by default. You need a mod iirc.

My bad, I guess I was still too tired to think of that.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
I gave my dude with quick sleeper a bionic heart and stomach and he sleeps for like two hours a night! So I've got him cranking out lovely small artworks constantly for cash.

Is the royalty dlc worth it for the price, and will it fuckup any ongoing saves?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Dilettante. posted:

Is the royalty dlc worth it for the price, and will it fuckup any ongoing saves?
Royalty is very nice, but I don't think you get much benefit adding it to an ongoing game (there will be no Royals faction to offer you the new quests, for instance)

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I added Royalty to a save and got offered a lot of empire quests and such. Almost have the max title in that save

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Is there a mod that encourages Randy to hand out more Royalty quests? My last game went years and the highest noble I got was a knight. I also would like some more frequent options to obtain the thing that hides psychic powers than just that one quest.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Had a 15 man raid try to pass through the mouth of Snake's Head, 9 casualties, 4 prisoners and 2 fleeing. I added a few extra dividing lines between the top and bottom of the jaw and a line + door to the embrasures and all the temperature holding issues are resolved. Need to move living quarters to the head itself so I can think about what to do with the south, work on the body of the serpent. This was also my chance to learn more complicated mod systems so I guess I need to crack open RimAtomics soon now that I understand Bad Hygiene.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Is there a mod that encourages Randy to hand out more Royalty quests? My last game went years and the highest noble I got was a knight. I also would like some more frequent options to obtain the thing that hides psychic powers than just that one quest.

You can give gold/captives to royal tribute collectors for royal favor as well. Otherwise, I think all you can do is make sure that the royal favor quest reward is toggled on, and I would imagine that toggling off the Royal faction ability to reward you with reputation would help, but I have no hard data on that.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i've succumbed to madness and am now working on modding rimworld

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I'm not sure if this is working as intended or is a bug, but should the shelling from a siege continue, and dramatically ramp up after you have killed the attackers and they have fled?

There is no artillery left on the map, yet the shelling has continued and destroyed half my base.

Either way its game over. My entire base is on fire. Lesson learned, never let a siege set up or you get unstoppable firestorms from never ending shelling. Guess I can't save scum and reload since I have no auto saves from before this siege arrive. Any tips for taking out a siege that has 3x as many people as your base? I don't have sniper rifles yet.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 15, 2020

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

wait what

where are the shells coming from

are you sure you don't have another event going on?

There's a space battle event in vanilla events expanded that can mimic a siege with explosions but is distinctly different.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

HelloSailorSign posted:

wait what

where are the shells coming from

are you sure you don't have another event going on?

There's a space battle event in vanilla events expanded that can mimic a siege with explosions but is distinctly different.

Nothing in the log. Just a siege message and unending shelling.

For the early game, should I just beeline straight for assault and sniper rifles and not build anything nice in my base? I always get overwhelmed by huge raids when I still just have pistols.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Where are the shells themselves coming from? The sieges deploy actual mortars that shoot them. They shouldn't just be flying from off map or something

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Flick on dev mode and remove the fog of war, are there any big unrevealed areas? They shouldnt be able to drop pods into unrevealed areas but it's the only thing I can think of :psyduck:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Strong guns are big wealth so they're a really good first project, since if you have to have something worth raiding it should be the firepower that defends you. A few nice things can be critical to mood management so maximize their impact while minimizing your base wealth by having a community rec/dining room. Trading for good weapons works too, although there's a chance you get a raid prompt before a trade prompt with your tradeable wealth sitting around.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

When you say huge early raids, what difficulty are you on? There's other wealth minimizing tricks like revealing an ore vein but not mining it until you need it, same for trees. It can feel like leaving money to rot but tainted clothing is a pain so I let most raider bodies rot with their clothes on, and that reduces my wealth footprint early on.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Wilekat posted:

Where are the shells themselves coming from? The sieges deploy actual mortars that shoot them. They shouldn't just be flying from off map or something

Re-loaded that save and there was a second siege from the same faction. I saw the second message, but it came as soon as the attack started, so I thought it was just letting me know their attack was starting.

So still turbo hosed as I'm now up against 5x the amount of colonists I have, let alone the amount that are competent with weapons. Which is why I was wondering how I can avoid getting slammed with such overwhelming numbers every. loving. game.

Last game I got a mechanoid raid with 2x the amount of colonists I had. Having my one sniper try to plink at them ended ... poorly.

Doomykins posted:

When you say huge early raids, what difficulty are you on? There's other wealth minimizing tricks like revealing an ore vein but not mining it until you need it, same for trees. It can feel like leaving money to rot but tainted clothing is a pain so I let most raider bodies rot with their clothes on, and that reduces my wealth footprint early on.

I'm playing on Randy rough, this is spring of the second year and I got two 10+ man sieges hitting me.

I guess I shouldn't be making masterwork furniture for bedrooms and just deal with poo poo morale?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Play on an easier mode and just crank it up later you have a good defensive line

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Randy rough, is well, rough. It's supposed to be. If you want a more peaceful game just turn it down a notch, rough is supposed to be for if you want to optimise the game for combat. It think it can be fun but you need to be considering everything you do and how to balance the wealth gain of doing it against the need for greater defences to protect it. So certainly no masterwork beds until you have got very solid defences set up.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Does the difficulty level affect the amount of negative events that happen, or does it just affect the strength of raids?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

You shouldn't need masterwork optimized bedrooms for early morale thanks to low expectations, there's a lot more low wealth ways to keep pawns happy. Sow some flower lines by high traffic areas, have a dedicated cleaner, keep stuff on shelves or out of sight, serve fine meals(wealth you remove as you use!), have some rec options, make sure things are well lit when you have an electricity source, make cheap dressers and end tables to pair with beds, furniture made of wood to start. Darkness is a -5 mood vs a $10 2-5 steel light, having a jaw dropping super luxurious rec/dining/break room is like +2 per over a great one. Adopt a few cheap dogs($140 per when selling) who'll pass out daily nuzzles. Masterwork beds will be like $1000 a pop. Get fancy when your defenses are reliable.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Went to a pristine ruins today where the bedrooms were all 7x7 with single beds made out of plasteel and I was like what the HELL are these

I also built myself an SRTS Canary, while it has limited passenger space and it's slow as poo poo, it's great to launch a ratkin in a pod over to a ruin, then set the Canary to land nearby to load all the stuff into :v: it's also great that the 3 passenger limit counts heads, not weight, so my giant T5 android that weighs like 500 kilos can fit his fat rear end aboard without issue

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

Does the difficulty level affect the amount of negative events that happen, or does it just affect the strength of raids?

Cassandra and Phoebe follow a 2 bad (or is it 3?), 1 good pattern, Randy just does everything at random. So no difficulty does not effect the prevalence of events, only their strength.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Rough and above to me, as a mediocre player, means you’ve got to know how to abuse the AI and understand how to abuse game mechanics to win. Two sieges at once sounds rough, especially if you didn’t catch the 2nd one before they started firing.

Otherwise, as far as furniture goes I don’t go above good until I’ve got a solid defensive force, unless I get a creative boost to make an excellent or masterwork poker table or something that’ll benefit everyone (dining and rec room bonus).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

Difficulty impacts almost everything. It's complicated, but in particular the size of "major" events (raids, mechanoid attacks, infestations, manhunter packs, and the like) are determined by difficulty, your total wealth, your number of pawns, and how recently other major events have occurred. If you switch to Cassandra Classic you'll typically get a more consistent span of time between such events as well. Difficulty also impacts things like crop yield, baseline mood, and disease frequency, but those are less noticeable.

Randy Rough or higher will require you to be ready to respond to multiple major events simultaneously, particularly if you don't immediately clear them out as they pop up.

I play on Randy Savage and lose colonies very regularly.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 15, 2020

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
man. I had a new game started on cassandra savage w/ tribal start. After a while not having any raids or anything, and never getting any new animals I realized that my map was hosed/bugged. There wasn't a 'space' that the game could spawn stuff.

it wouldn't even spawn a psychic ship or bugs. i got like a year and a half in before i really figured it out.

oh well.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Tabletops posted:

man. I had a new game started on cassandra savage w/ tribal start. After a while not having any raids or anything, and never getting any new animals I realized that my map was hosed/bugged. There wasn't a 'space' that the game could spawn stuff.

it wouldn't even spawn a psychic ship or bugs. i got like a year and a half in before i really figured it out.

oh well.

Try caravaning to another map hex?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Guest quarters and prison is next. Almost everything from my original small town base has been deconstructed. Steel and blocks are always tight but this region was pretty big + lots of mountains when I started so not to the point of mining bases in other hexes yet.

Wait. Did you hear that? That.. honking. Oh no. OH NO!

Thank God I set up a few extra chokes since I haven't completely sealed off yet. Was 32 hell-birds total.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Save our Ship 2 is in beta for ship-to-ship combat. Torpedos, lasers, shields, breach pods full of boarding marines.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Holy loving poo poo

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

what the fuuuuuck that looks awesome

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
RimWorld + FTL? Sign me the gently caress up.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

bird food bathtub posted:

RimWorld + FTL? Sign me the gently caress up.

Now if only we can add in Galaxy Trucker somehow...

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

good news for pawnmorpher fans, a couple of developments coming down the pipeline. there's an upcoming vanilla expanded insectoids mod that includes a bunch of extensive genetics poo poo that will tie in to pawnmorpher-style insect people, AND i'm currently working with someone on an alpha animals pawnmorpher submod.

there are like 70+ animals in alpha animals so not all of them will make it in to the first version, so i wanted to ask if you guys had any particular favourite alpha animals you'd want to turn a colonist into.

done already are:

aerofleet
animus vox
aves (various)
fission mouse
helixien
nightling
ripper hound
slurrypede
swarmling

actively in progress are:

ocular jelly
groundrunner
decay drake
raptor shrimp
razorjack

i don't know what animals in alpha animals are community faves though so it is hard to pick out which to prioritise that aren't my personal faves

here are some previews of morphs i've made:

if some poo poo looks blurry or lovely its because i assembled these by hand using the different body parts and the parts i drew, some of which were different sized images. in-game they will look a lot better. a couple have greyscale skin tones because in-game those areas will be tinted by the game, i manually coloured the slug and the swarmling in photoshop to get an idea of how the finished thing will look.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Leal posted:

Holy loving poo poo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bloody hellfire that's absolutely nuts.

It is genuinely insane how much poo poo you can do to rimworld with mods.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Soon, Rimworld will be the only video game anyone wants or needs.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

juggalo baby coffin posted:

there are like 70+ animals in alpha animals so not all of them will make it in to the first version, so i wanted to ask if you guys had any particular favourite alpha animals you'd want to turn a colonist into.

Need feralisks/junglelisks so that colonies living in Feralisk Infested Jungle can feel at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Gallatross