Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

slidebite posted:

Clove cigarettes are just as bad for you as normal tobacco smokes, and actually worse for you than many traditional lights.

Honest question: What's the appeal to them over regular rockets? The smell?

they taste really good and have less filler in them than things like cowboy killers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slidebite posted:

On the covid front: Incoming press release Monday - scuttlebutt is it is going to be very promising news on an antibody treatment for Covid

https://twitter.com/CurlyJungleJake/status/1261338915899760641

Background: This is the guy from the Netflix Pandemic show that created the single dose universal flu vaccine. When Covid hit they worked like dogs and came up with candidate antibody treatments that should not only be highly effective against COVID, but also SARS and MERS.

For those that don't know, antibody treat compared to a vaccine - you use the antibody to treat people who are infected, very good tool to have before the vaccine is rolled out. Think of how rabies is treated if you get infected.

Wow that's great news

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So Geico had announced a "15% giveback" on policy renewals.

I just got my renewal, and at the top it says the 15% giveback has already been applied. So why the gently caress did my policy go up by $140 a year? :fuckoff: Credit score has gone up by 70 points, and I haven't told them about the move yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

On the covid front: Incoming press release Monday - scuttlebutt is it is going to be very promising news on an antibody treatment for Covid

https://twitter.com/CurlyJungleJake/status/1261338915899760641

Background: This is the guy from the Netflix Pandemic show that created the single dose universal flu vaccine. When Covid hit they worked like dogs and came up with candidate antibody treatments that should not only be highly effective against COVID, but also SARS and MERS.

For those that don't know, antibody treat compared to a vaccine - you use the antibody to treat people who are infected, very good tool to have before the vaccine is rolled out. Think of how rabies is treated if you get infected.

Don't they stick like 37 huge needles in your stomach if you get rabies?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yes, but the alternative is worse (I don't think its 37)

I took part of a web presentation from this guy 2 weeks ago and he is smart as gently caress. IIRC, it's anticipated it would be a simple 1-2 dosage thing. If all goes according to plan. I'll see if I can find his presentation and I'll link it here. It's worth a sit through.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's awesome. The fewer needles in my stomach the better.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I am pretty sure they've got the rabies vaccine down to 0 needles in the stomach.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elviscat posted:

I am pretty sure they've got the rabies vaccine down to 0 needles in the stomach.

So where do they stick all those needles?

oh

oh poo poo.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

You'll never guess!

4 shots in the deltoidhole

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Christ I hate it when someone selling a car I want on CL has contact by email only, pretty sure 75% of the time it goes right into spam and they never see it, is there anyway around that? Is it because of my lovely Yahoo account?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I just saw someone gently caress up mask wearing in nearly every way. Someone driving with a surgical mask only over their mouth and they grabbed the outside of the mask to adjust it and then immediately rubbed their eye with the finger tips that just touched the outside of the mask.
I hope that was a fresh mask.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Christ I hate it when someone selling a car I want on CL has contact by email only, pretty sure 75% of the time it goes right into spam and they never see it, is there anyway around that? Is it because of my lovely Yahoo account?

Yes. Same with Hotmail or AOL domains.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

Yes. Same with Hotmail or AOL domains.

I just sent another email through my wife's gmail account hopefully that will work.

gently caress this is a great deal too, probably gonna lose out to a drat Jeep flipper

[e] It sold already gently caress! The add was up for 2 hours when I emailed him!

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 15, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Guys, I touched the poop. I am in argument on Reddit with a bunch of mongoloids who think they can out-brake ABS.

I can't stop, send help.

Edit: my ABS must be broken :haw:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Beach Bum posted:

Guys, I touched the poop. I am in argument on Reddit with a bunch of mongoloids who think they can out-brake ABS.

I can't stop, send help.

Edit: my ABS must be broken :haw:

Depends a LOT on the ABS. 90’s GM ABS is dangerous garbage, modern well-tuned ABS is incredible. Modern badly-tuned ABS, hmm, maybe an argument to be made. Also, changing tires from factory can make a big difference in ABS performance in my experience.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Depends a LOT on the ABS. 90’s GM ABS is dangerous garbage, modern well-tuned ABS is incredible. Modern badly-tuned ABS, hmm, maybe an argument to be made. Also, changing tires from factory can make a big difference in ABS performance in my experience.

Oh yeah there's absolutely lovely ABS out there but anything made in the last twenty years is at least as good as average driver on their best day.

Hear you on the tires bit as well, swapping to sticky stuff on the Honda Fit combined with Wilwoods up front gave the system fits (HA!) so I pull the fuse at the track. However it goes right back in after I swap back to the Continentals.

Alright I'm done some guy called me a dick after I threw an NHSTA study at him. Back to just reading. I was tempted by a mechanic advice sub where poor innocent newbies ask adorable :shobon: questions.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 15, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Late 90s and early 00s Subaru ABS will slide your rear end into an intersection even with brand new studded snow tires at under 5mph if you're creeping down a hill. I ended up giving up on it and just pull the fuse every fall and put it back in every spring. If I'm in full control of the brakes on the same hill I can stop in half the distance or less every time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The UK government: "Everyone should avoid public transport as much as possible, especially in London."

Also the UK government: "Transport For London are losing shitloads of money, so to fund propping them up, we're not only reinstating the congestion charge, it's going up 30%."

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

InitialDave posted:

The UK government: "Everyone should avoid public transport as much as possible, especially in London."

Also the UK government: "Transport For London are losing shitloads of money, so to fund propping them up, we're not only reinstating the congestion charge, it's going up 30%."
I mean, making it less desirable to go out doesn't seem like it's clearly terrible, except that it's almost definitely very regressive. Though I'm not sure how the whole "London" thing modifies that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
congestion charge probably isn't super regressive in London

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's not that most of the people going into London would drive in rather than use public transport, it's more the ridiculousness of the sequence of government statements being "yes, people should be going to work if they are able to, but they shouldn't use public transport to do so, and at the exact same time as telling them this, we're also going to reinstate a £15 daily charge on private vehicles".

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

South Australia officially has zero active Covid cases!

I need to take a holiday... I've worked every single weekday of this poo poo so far and its been exhausting. But I'll have to give it a few weeks to let the hordes of people who feel like they've been cooped up get it out of their system so theres actually somewhere to go thats not as crowded as the city now they're starting to lift restrictions.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

congestion charge probably isn't super regressive in London
That was very much my thought, but I didn't want to assume too much.

InitialDave posted:

It's not that most of the people going into London would drive in rather than use public transport, it's more the ridiculousness of the sequence of government statements being "yes, people should be going to work if they are able to, but they shouldn't use public transport to do so, and at the exact same time as telling them this, we're also going to reinstate a £15 daily charge on private vehicles".
In any other time, I'd agree. The thing is: COVID is ridiculous. They're responding to something ridiculous in what I would say is an appropriate way: You shouldn't use public transport, because it's an additional vector to spread the disease. We should, simultaneously, keep those public transport systems from collapsing, because one would hope we're going to come out the other side of this and still need them.

Maybe they should tax something else, but I know sometimes it's easier (legislatively) to adjust a fee than it is to levy a tax. (No idea if this is actually true in London/the UK, but it's often the reason things are done that way.)

Ferremit posted:

South Australia officially has zero active Covid cases!

I need to take a holiday... I've worked every single weekday of this poo poo so far and its been exhausting. But I'll have to give it a few weeks to let the hordes of people who feel like they've been cooped up get it out of their system so theres actually somewhere to go thats not as crowded as the city now they're starting to lift restrictions.
How's testing in SA? I'm hoping it's "we've tested (at least almost) everybody and there's no active COVID cases", not "nah, mate, we're good, go on".

Either way, it's still better than where the US is. Congrats, both on the progress through this and on living in a country that isn't completely batshit insane. Meanwhile, here ... https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...f6e5_story.html

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Also people overestimate the amount of people in London that own a car. Public transport is just that good in the city so an awful lot of them genuinely have no need for a car for their day to day.

So when the government limits the amount of people able to use public transport, even if not everyone is working, it causes issues. Add to that it's advised to use masks and there isn't a supply of them, the infection rate last week went up and a whole bunch of stupid fuckers have been rolling round in public like poo poo's fine...

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

slidebite posted:

Clove cigarettes are just as bad for you as normal tobacco smokes, and actually worse for you than many traditional lights.

Honest question: What's the appeal to them over regular rockets? The smell?

I was goth and the smell blended perfectly with the Nag Champa they burned in club hell

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Welp two cylinders have compression but the next one..... oh god lord the fearsome amount of blowby it is generating.

I think it has literally broken a piston at the first attempt to start.

Owner got some decision making to do. He knew this motor was going to be a chance of failure but he wanted to try first to save money but well...... it's dead Jim, thisiece of ally needs a bare block pulldown.

Have I said how much I hate EZ30's and the curse I seem to have with them?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

On the other hand it's 100% understandable. I managed to (even after double checking) miss a 0 at the end of my price on the car I was selling and my lord was I spammed to death. People used the reg number to find my name and began calling my wife since my number (thankfully) isn't listed online. They absolutely terrorized us until I managed to update the listing, which took about 30 minutes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Guys my wife found whole chickens.

and I made cheesy potatoes.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Krakkles posted:

How's testing in SA? I'm hoping it's "we've tested (at least almost) everybody and there's no active COVID cases", not "nah, mate, we're good, go on".

Either way, it's still better than where the US is. Congrats, both on the progress through this and on living in a country that isn't completely batshit insane. Meanwhile, here ... https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...f6e5_story.html

We're sitting on 3.2% of the population tested, which is sadly significantly higher than most of the rest of the world. We've got no active cases, but that doesnt mean its gone, just that noone is actively sick with it. So we're still on restrictions about social distancing and travel and going to the pub...

Its still better than most of the rest of the country and waaaaay better than the US is doing

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ferremit posted:

We're sitting on 3.2% of the population tested, which is sadly significantly higher than most of the rest of the world. We've got no active cases, but that doesnt mean its gone, just that noone is actively sick with it. So we're still on restrictions about social distancing and travel and going to the pub...

Its still better than most of the rest of the country and waaaaay better than the US is doing
The US has 3.3% tested and it is a clusterfuck, so I hope your number is a typo?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ferremit posted:

It's not like the rest of the country is exactly bad either. Genuinely up there with Sth Korea for the best outcome. 98 dead is remarkable given what this thing is doing elsewhere

quote:

The US has 3.3% tested and it is a clusterfuck, so I hope your number is a typo?

SA / Australia has tested considerably more than 3%.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You guys play with RC cars right? Both the cheap ones my kids got a year or two ago have crapped out. They're both single chip/board 2.4ghz, a rock crawler and a fast little buggy, I'd like to get them decent ones but the budget is low. Any recommendations? I'm in the UK.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

You guys play with RC cars right? Both the cheap ones my kids got a year or two ago have crapped out. They're both single chip/board 2.4ghz, a rock crawler and a fast little buggy, I'd like to get them decent ones but the budget is low. Any recommendations? I'm in the UK.

Traxxas is the best in terms of affordability and not crap, see if you can find a used one or just go new if you can afford it.

I have the rustler and my son has the stampede they both work great and are a lot of fun.

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Scal...ps%2C237&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Stam...ps%2C235&sr=8-3

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

cakesmith handyman posted:

We have a whole thread here in AI all about RC cars, and I happen to work in that industry!

The Traxxas brand previously mentioned are very popular for newcomers. They are good designs, excellent performers and plenty of parts availability. They are a little more expensive than other options.

New brands that are taking a decent chunk out of the traxxas market share are ARRMA (a UK based brand!) and ECX. Not sure if the ECX line is available in the EU but I imagine it is. Of those two the ARRMA would be preferred.

I also love the Axial products. Crawlers might not seem like the right step but a crawler is literally for everyone. I’ve posted plenty in the RC thread, you can check my post history there.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I don’t know if y’all are as old as me but I found the 9.6v Turbo Bandit! (Actual name) red Nissan hardbody rc truck I had as maybe a 12 year old. Like everything I had as a kid (or ever) it’s in perfect shape but I didn’t find the og batteries. Is this something I could get going again? I have no interest in buying something new or expensive (meaning a new nice rc car for the kids) but I’d gladly buy new batteries for this or upgrade it

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Depends on budget, really. I posted before that I got my Godson a Midnight Pumpkin, and it turns out that when Covid hit, his dad bought himself a Lunch Box to go with it.

And I just ordered myself an SW-01 Lunch Box Mini.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

everdave posted:

I don’t know if y’all are as old as me but I found the 9.6v Turbo Bandit! (Actual name) red Nissan hardbody rc truck I had as maybe a 12 year old. Like everything I had as a kid (or ever) it’s in perfect shape but I didn’t find the og batteries. Is this something I could get going again? I have no interest in buying something new or expensive (meaning a new nice rc car for the kids) but I’d gladly buy new batteries for this or upgrade it
The Tyco one? I think they're just a pack of 8 1.2v Ni-Cad cells, so yeah, you should be able to sort out a new one.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

InitialDave posted:

The Tyco one? I think they're just a pack of 8 1.2v Ni-Cad cells, so yeah, you should be able to sort out a new one.

Yes! Will look into it and bring it home when me and the kids can visit my
Mom again

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

everdave posted:

I had that truck but it was black. That was one of my favorite things from childhood, I still look at them on eBay sometimes. I brought that truck with me everywhere for years and learned how to fix stuff on it.

You should be able to make or buy a nimh 9.6v battery for it. I think it was AA size cells that the battery pack was made of and you can get nimh versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Guys my wife found whole chickens.

and I made cheesy potatoes.

What's the cheesy potato recipe??