Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, star anise is probably a bit too long. The floating platform transportation pad areas weren't necessary.

What level is high enough to beat the black rabite? I've got my team around 77 on medium, with my two strongest characters (Kevin and Riesz) equipped with their class 4 weapons.
I beat the Black Rabite at 60 in class 3 with D/L Kevin, L/L Charlotte and D/D Riesz.

Black Rabite also scales to your level so you can't quite outlevel it.

Edit: It did take me two tries though with the first using most of my cups before an unlucky MEGATON BELLYFLOP hit all of my characters at once :shobon:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Taear posted:

Feels like they wasted their time since it looks and feels identical.

They also wasted their time because the SoM remake is a bad game.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
It really is a huge disappointment, because there's so much potential in the weapon/spell system to make it modern and fun.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I will defend the SoM remake and say that it’s much more fun to play than the original because it’s way less janky. Hit boxes make sense, you can set a couple of shortcuts for spells, the graphics are nice. But it’s essentially the same game. The voice acting is cute and the extra inn scenes add some depth to the characters which is nice. There’s also a lot more world-building. But yeah they didn’t do nearly enough to update it, Trials of Mana is a huge upgrade.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
The only down side I see in the trials remake versus the original is the lack of multiplayer, and while multiplayer SNES Trials is fun I cannot say I miss it immensely.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
For as annoying as her voice and written dialogue is, Charlotte definitely makes up for it with that giant rear end grin she gets.

It's great at the end of her Dark 4 CS.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Art dump of designs and concept art by Yoshiro Ambe. God this game is georgeous.

KARL! (I never noticed that little detail)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone said that Shade is goatse yet? Cause Shade is definitely goatse

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Without quality armorrr it won't matter how good nyarrrr weapons are

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

lezard_valeth posted:

Art dump of designs and concept art by Yoshiro Ambe. God this game is georgeous.

KARL! (I never noticed that little detail)

No Angela art?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Huh. After finding my way through the Jungle of Visions maze randomly I looked up how to do it and I did exactly that on a whim.
"Gotta pick some direction... I'll just keep following the rabites."

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

Huh. After finding my way through the Jungle of Visions maze randomly I looked up how to do it and I did exactly that on a whim.

That's what I figure the rabite statue at the entrance meant.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

IMJack posted:

That's what I figure the rabite statue at the entrance meant.

In hindsight yeah, but I sure didn't pick up on that at the time.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

I double checked his Twitter and didn't find anything. There's even some NPC designs. Maybe he didn't design her?

Bruceski posted:

At the beginning of that section there's a rabite statue serving as a hint to be on the lookout for rabites

e: beat to it

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Kevin's resting bitch face in nearly all art is the best cause he's actually the sweetest boi

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

timp posted:

Has anyone said that Shade is goatse yet? Cause Shade is definitely goatse

No ring, no goatse.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

lezard_valeth posted:

It's really a fantastic remake and artistically is just gorgeous. Very much a colorful storybook. Which is odd since the original had, uh, a lot less color. A lot of ... gold/brown. Like the colors seemed less vibrant?

Anyways I'd be happy having only ever experienced Trials of Mana, since SD3 was a bit of a mess (and I didn't even finish it!). I mean, the shield bug or whatever? What?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

It's a billion times better than the original and there's no reason AT ALL to get the original now. And I say that as someone who loved Secret of Mana and SK3.

Hey I noticed you've been referencing "SK3". You're talking about Seiken Densetsu 3, right? AKA the 1996 Trials of Mana? I've never seen anybody abbreviate it like that

sigher posted:

No ring, no goatse.

gently caress you're right :negative:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Alright I found a slightly annoying glitch that gives me another reason not to want Riesz in my party.

At least with Hawkeye, but I suspect it can happen to other characters that are move spammy like Angela. If you are holding R and spamming his moves, if Riesz decides to use a summon, the move menu gets canceled and you get "stuck" for a bit. It's not long but it can screw you up when you are trying to time a dodge for an attack.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

timp posted:

Hey I noticed you've been referencing "SK3". You're talking about Seiken Densetsu 3, right? AKA the 1996 Trials of Mana? I've never seen anybody abbreviate it like that

Yea, I've seen a few people do it and spelling it correctly is really hard.
I know usually SK3 means Suikoden 3 for most people but it still works because of context.

Bruceski posted:

Yea the statue got me to do that too. It's weird, I have really strong memories of some parts of the game from when I played SK3 but absolutely nothing at all for other bits. I remember the last boss of Kevin's story but I don't remember the jungle at all for example.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I spent a solid 50 hours playing this game and have all the achievements and I must say this is the first time in a long time that I bought a video game and felt completely happy with my purchase. I’d recommend it to everyone: children, adults, non-gamer types. It’s a children’s storybook that is straight up fun, charming, gorgeous and not too demanding on the player but is open to power gaming.

If this and FF7R is what SE does for remakes/remasters from now on they’re gonna make so much loving money. Secret of Mana in this engine would be fantastic. poo poo, a Final Fantasy game in this engine would be fantastic.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

jokes posted:

If this and FF7R is what SE does for remakes/remasters from now on they’re gonna make so much loving money. Secret of Mana in this engine would be fantastic. poo poo, a Final Fantasy game in this engine would be fantastic.

The only downside I can see to making secret of mana in this engine is that you couldn't do local co-op and (at least for me) that was a big part of the original game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

jokes posted:

It's really a fantastic remake and artistically is just gorgeous. Very much a colorful storybook. Which is odd since the original had, uh, a lot less color. A lot of ... gold/brown. Like the colors seemed less vibrant?

Anyways I'd be happy having only ever experienced Trials of Mana, since SD3 was a bit of a mess (and I didn't even finish it!). I mean, the shield bug or whatever? What?

I can at this point pretty solidly say that most of SD3's bugs are entirely intentional.

Mainly because if you fix all of them the game becomes an incomprehensible mess of features.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

I can at this point pretty solidly say that most of SD3's bugs are entirely intentional.

Mainly because if you fix all of them the game becomes an incomprehensible mess of features.

This is interesting, how so? I know one of the stats didn't work in the original (Dex right)? But what else was up with it that would make things messy if fixed?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bruceski posted:

I didn't get that, but I said to myself "This looks like a lazy maze puzzle, I bet it has a lazy solution", went one direction, then another, then straight, then repeated. I feel like that's the solution to every video game maze and I think I got it right my second try

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

orcane posted:

Someone made this:

I took a screenshot of the full map and wanted to make my own, but :effort:

Surprisingly, the classic "In a maze, always go left" works. If you follow that route, it takes you through almost every platform, and past the start once. You can shorten it a lot if you go right once, then always left instead. Both routes also take you to the chest.

It's actually somewhat cleverly designed, for a teleporter maze anyways, since they bothered making the classic non-teleport maze solving tricks work in a teleporter maze, instead of making doing that cause you to get stuck in a loop or something.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 15, 2020

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

jokes posted:

CHRONO TRIGGER REMAKE YOU COWARDS! I've waited 25 years and had my heart crushed multiple times through it what with Cross not being as good, the C&D of the fanmade Resurrection, the dissapointment the DS port was, and the outright cash grab mess the steam version was.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

They put a huge rabite statue in the first room with NPCs saying "What's this statue all about? Seems important. Anyway I'm lost in a maze". Not sure how you could miss the hint. Although that part is infamous to me for how badly handled it was in the OG, so I was already anticipating it.

In the OG they didn't even tell you anything at that part. You just had to arbitrarily choose paths and if you chose correctly, you'd hear a noise. Good luck if you were playing without sound.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

CHRONO TRIGGER REMAKE YOU COWARDS! I've waited 25 years and had my heart crushed multiple times through it what with Cross not being as good, the C&D of the fanmade Resurrection, the dissapointment the DS port was, and the outright cash grab mess the steam version was.

I'd much rather they take a swing at FF VI first. CT at least you can't really go wrong with any version of the game currently existing (at least now that the Steam and Mobile versions have been patched into equity)

Meenwhile, in FFVI town...

-The SNES release is a famously buggy, mechanically explosive version that has several features not functioning properly or just not functional at all. Reminds a LOT of SD3 SNES while we're at it.

-The GBA version fixed several bugs and added back in some cut content, but added some fresh bugs of it's own and filters VI's phenomenal music through a tin can and string.

-The iOS version gives us the best sounding version and is by far the most actually playable of these but outside of the enemy sprites the changed artwork is bland at best and just ugly and sloppy... far more often then it's at it's best.

I understand it'll never see a big splashy remake but SD3 gives me hope it'll get at least a decent once-over into finally having a definitive edition instead of forcing me to pick what sacrifices I wanna make for my next playthrough.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

As much as I like FF7 Remake, I don't really have any desire to see other games in the series get the same treatment. FF16 would never see the light of day if they did that and I'd be 90 years old waiting for Part 3 of FF9.

FF6 would benefit from the SD3 treatment, staying pretty faithful, maintaining more or less the same level of scale, but polishing up the gameplay to be more balanced and playable by today's standards. Maybe add some more character interactions since the party gets pretty quiet in the second half of the game.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ARPG remakes of Chrono Trigger and FF6 would probably be pretty divisive

I'm probably in the minority but I don't think Chrono Trigger needs to be remade. Especially since they'll jam in even more Chrono Cross bullshit that nobody asked for.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They don't have to be ARPG remakes. Keeping the original systems intact with some modern improvements would be enough.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
They could do a FF6 remake with a graphic style similar to the one in Octopath traveler.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I actively don't want a Chrono Trigger remake.

Thing is, it holds up amazingly well, probably due to just how well-paced the whole experience is, and how expressive its late-SNES sprite work is. And there's nothing about its story that I think would be improved or expressed better through HD cutscenes with cinematic camera angles and voice acting.

There's nothing archaic about its gameplay design, either. It doesn't have random encounters and in fact doesn't have a transition to a battle screen at all. Its combat is easy to understand but has enough options to make it interesting to play around with. The dialogue, characters, and even random enemies have a ton of personality.

Really I don't think there's anything in Chrono Trigger that would make a modern player bounce off that a remake could possibly "fix," if that makes sense.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Kassad posted:

They could do a FF6 remake with a graphic style similar to the one in Octopath traveler.

ehh, being too overt with the nostalgia-milking would be kind of tiresome.

It's one thing to create one (1) game with a deliberately retro aesthetic as a call-back to that period, but an FF6 remake should have inherent appeal and stand alone independently of the original, not be an explicit evocation of that one summer when I played this game as a carefree twelve year old kid with a bright and boundless future instead of a miserable bearded shut-in in his mid-30s living in neoliberal hell world. Or whatever.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I feel like the music in this game is really strong and not talked about much.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sapozhnik posted:

ehh, being too overt with the nostalgia-milking would be kind of tiresome.

It's one thing to create one (1) game with a deliberately retro aesthetic as a call-back to that period, but an FF6 remake should have inherent appeal and stand alone independently of the original, not be an explicit evocation of that one summer when I played this game as a carefree twelve year old kid with a bright and boundless future instead of a miserable bearded shut-in in his mid-30s living in neoliberal hell world. Or whatever.

One of the things that I like the most about FF6 is the art style of its world and characters, so I think it would be cool to see them use modern hardware to fully realize Amano's vision of weirdo machines, baroque architecture and everyone having 20000 trinkets on their clothes. On the other hand, I also don't think Square understands why FF6 is good. They'd probably make Cid dying mandatory.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I have LDL Duran, DDD Angela, and DDD Charlotte all at L99 and I'm trying to finish the <2 minute Anise challenge. My best time so far is about 2:15. Any advice?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
More lucent beam.

What chain abilities are you using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The biggest argument in favor of a Chrono Trigger remake would be a new version of the soundtrack and I'm always happy to hear more Chrono Trigger music.