Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Got myself a 530 ALR with some Salix. A+ ink, glad I bought two bottles because I can see myself going through lots of it at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've been liking Aurora Black a lot. Noticeably darker than Pilot Namiki Black, very similar drying time. I'm not sure about the water resistance, I can't find a good comparison online, but from what I do see in reviews from different sources it's mostly the same: don't use it for watercolor, but won't disappear if you get a few drops of water on it. I've been wanting to try some Noodler's inks because they're like the ink company everyone talks about, but the drying time on most of them is ~30 seconds. Not great for a lefty like me.

I'm going to try out the sample of DeAtramentis Archive Black probably tomorrow. With these pigmented inks, if I were going to use them on a daily basis, how often would I need to completely clean out the pen? Lots of reviews say not to leave pigmented inks in if you're not going to use them, but I've never had to do pen maintenance before so I'm wondering if there's a cut-off point where I want to clean it out.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I have a vintage "reliable" pen from the 1920s or 30s or something. It's a fun pen to use even with its nib not in great condition. However, it's made of metal and in the decades since it has acquired quite a stink to it that sticks to your fingers. Think the smell of an old, dirty penny or other coin. Is there any good way to clean it and hopefully get rid of the smell?

edit: It's covered in that... I think it's 1/16 rolled gold? It seemed popular in that era and is kinda art deco-y. Would soap & water be safe?

Sankis fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 12, 2020

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

I've been liking Aurora Black a lot. Noticeably darker than Pilot Namiki Black, very similar drying time. I'm not sure about the water resistance, I can't find a good comparison online, but from what I do see in reviews from different sources it's mostly the same: don't use it for watercolor, but won't disappear if you get a few drops of water on it. I've been wanting to try some Noodler's inks because they're like the ink company everyone talks about, but the drying time on most of them is ~30 seconds. Not great for a lefty like me.

I'm going to try out the sample of DeAtramentis Archive Black probably tomorrow. With these pigmented inks, if I were going to use them on a daily basis, how often would I need to completely clean out the pen? Lots of reviews say not to leave pigmented inks in if you're not going to use them, but I've never had to do pen maintenance before so I'm wondering if there's a cut-off point where I want to clean it out.

daily's okay, the key is keeping the ink moving through the pen so it never has a chance to glue itself to the walls of everything internal

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Forbes did a write up on some small businesses that are doing well and Goulet Pen Company was part of it. I have no idea how this compares to other companies, let alone other pen companies, but their revenue was $13.8 million last year.

That's an interesting bit of knowledge I guess. Only 31 employees too which sounds about right from how they talk.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I can't wait for them to open up again, I have like 4 or 5 inks I want to order

Thirst Mutilator posted:

The barrel on my Metro cracked a long time ago, but I just started getting back into bullet journaling. I could afford to get a nicer pen - is there a decent breakpoint breakdown chart for what I get for cost? The Pen Addict listed the Platinum 3776, which seems to be ~$170 on Jetpens but Amazon has listings around $100 (if they can be trusted), which doesn't strike me as insane given that Metro's seem to run around $25 right now.

honestly just save up a little more, use really cheap pens to hold you over for now if need be but skip over the sub-200 dollar range, and get a pelikan M600 or bigger.

Exculpatrix
Jan 23, 2010
I've just marathoned the last 200 pages, and my head is swimming with fountain pen wisdom. I was hoping to get a recommendation from all y'all pen nerds:

A couple years back I bought the Parker Sonnet SE, in the Impression finish, with a medium nib. It's my favourite pen by a long, long margin. I love the look, and the way it writes. Are there any other pens out there which are similar? Both in feel and aesthetics. I find that a lot of the pens at this price point are a little... gaudy? At least for my tastes. I've got a few cheaper pens (Lamy Studio, Lamy Accent, Diplomat Traveller, some random one I bought in a little pen shop in NOLA and don't know the brand of), but I want another nice one I'll enjoy writing with regularly, so that I can fill it up with a different ink to my Sonnet.

I generally prefer broader nibs, and looks wise I like metal or matte finishes a lot more than shiny looks or plastic bodies.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Thirst Mutilator posted:

The barrel on my Metro cracked a long time ago, but I just started getting back into bullet journaling. I could afford to get a nicer pen - is there a decent breakpoint breakdown chart for what I get for cost? The Pen Addict listed the Platinum 3776, which seems to be ~$170 on Jetpens but Amazon has listings around $100 (if they can be trusted), which doesn't strike me as insane given that Metro's seem to run around $25 right now.

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I can't wait for them to open up again, I have like 4 or 5 inks I want to order

honestly just save up a little more, use really cheap pens to hold you over for now if need be but skip over the sub-200 dollar range, and get a pelikan M600 or bigger.

ehhh I think this isn't the best advice, nowadays there's tons of good pens in the sub-200 range. I'd say there's not a lot worth buying in the $20-50 or 60 range if you want something that's going to feel like a big upgrade or different writing experience than a Metro, but of the four pens I use regularly, my Vanishing Point, Opus Koloro, and 580ALR all cost less than $200 (and can all be found for less than or around $100, if you're patient with pricing on the VP), all write fantastically, and are all pretty different from each other as far as features/fit & finish are concerned.

That said, my fourth "daily" pen is a Pilot 823 and I probably use it more than anything but the 580, so there's definitely something to be said for a nice, expensive pen.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Exculpatrix posted:

A couple years back I bought the Parker Sonnet SE, in the Impression finish, with a medium nib. It's my favourite pen by a long, long margin. I love the look, and the way it writes. Are there any other pens out there which are similar? Both in feel and aesthetics. I find that a lot of the pens at this price point are a little... gaudy? At least for my tastes. I've got a few cheaper pens (Lamy Studio, Lamy Accent, Diplomat Traveller, some random one I bought in a little pen shop in NOLA and don't know the brand of), but I want another nice one I'll enjoy writing with regularly, so that I can fill it up with a different ink to my Sonnet.

Haven't used a Sonnet, but a Diplomat Excellence A2 is pretty close aesthetically and has a metal body that you can get in a lacquered or raw metal finish. I also really like Tactile Turn's Gist pen. It's got a screw-on cap, but also is similar in looks to the Parker and can be had in a copper or titanium body.

Exculpatrix
Jan 23, 2010

Chip McFuck posted:

Haven't used a Sonnet, but a Diplomat Excellence A2 is pretty close aesthetically and has a metal body that you can get in a lacquered or raw metal finish. I also really like Tactile Turn's Gist pen. It's got a screw-on cap, but also is similar in looks to the Parker and can be had in a copper or titanium body.

Ooh, the Pearl White and Midnight Blue A2s are very, very pretty. I will have to check those out.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

MockingQuantum posted:

ehhh I think this isn't the best advice, nowadays there's tons of good pens in the sub-200 range. I'd say there's not a lot worth buying in the $20-50 or 60 range if you want something that's going to feel like a big upgrade or different writing experience than a Metro, but of the four pens I use regularly, my Vanishing Point, Opus Koloro, and 580ALR all cost less than $200 (and can all be found for less than or around $100, if you're patient with pricing on the VP), all write fantastically, and are all pretty different from each other as far as features/fit & finish are concerned.

That said, my fourth "daily" pen is a Pilot 823 and I probably use it more than anything but the 580, so there's definitely something to be said for a nice, expensive pen.

:shrug: Ultimately every pen I've had that's not been a Pelikan or Montblanc has had some downside to it, including my vanishing point, but no Pelikan I've had (nor the 1 MB I have) has ever disappointed me in any way. To be fair I have no experience writing with the other ones you've mentioned. (The 580ALR could be a good deal - I came close to buying one last year too but got the VP instead.)

To the original question asker, I still stand by Pelikan M series as being completely worth their price, at whichever price point you're comfortable. If that's less than 150 USD, just get an M200. They come in a zillion colors, hold plenty of ink, and write ridiculously nicely. (It might say something about it that even though I have some much bigger, very high-end pens, I just ordered another M200 today.) I know that the Platinum 3776 will write really nicely, but when it comes to spending "real" money on a pen, using cartridge/converter is a dealbreaker, for me at least.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Unless a pen has a safe and easy way to disassemble it (like Pelikans with their screw out nib units), and an ink window of some sort I'd rather have a C/C pen than a piston or vac because they're so much more convenient.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Has anyone else been inundated by ads for a company called "Ferris Wheel Press" that seems to sell fountain pens and ink? I've never heard of them before but all of a sudden I'm getting those targrted ads for them everywhere.

Their ink seems to come in large 80ish ml glass balls and they're all named stuff like "cotton candy" and "buttered popcorn". They also dilute their ink in the ads to show the color. A mixture of their promotional aesthetic and ink names is really making my brain think I should be drinking their ink.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Sankis posted:

Has anyone else been inundated by ads for a company called "Ferris Wheel Press" that seems to sell fountain pens and ink? I've never heard of them before but all of a sudden I'm getting those targrted ads for them everywhere.

I just checked and I apparently visited their site, so I must've gotten an ad once.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It’s extremely average product with the branding laid down thick and a lot of ad dollars. I wouldn’t bother.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

don't tell me what to do. i'm going to buy and drink the ink.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Just found mold floating in my inkwell, gotta figure out what to do about that... no drinking it, for sure :/

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Dump it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

What ink was it, out of curiousity?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sankis posted:

What ink was it, out of curiousity?

Private Reserve Velvet Black

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Private Reserve Velvet Black

Private Reserve seems to have problems with mold from a cursory google search. That really blows. It looks like a nice black.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sankis posted:

Private Reserve seems to have problems with mold from a cursory google search. That really blows. It looks like a nice black.

Yes, it's pretty nice. I don't know how much is on them and how much is on me for keeping it in a very old inkwell in a converted shed office where temperatures swing from freezing to over 100 through the course of the year. I'd been meaning to switch over to speedball india ink when this ran out, but I guess I'll be trying that sooner rather than later.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Year of the Goat!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe my awful luck with getting an extra fine Pilot nib. I ordered an extra fine Kakuno from Japan almost two months ago, and had to request a refund because it never arrived and there was no tracking number. I ordered another from Vanness, and it came a day late after being stuck in New Jersey for some reason. It finally arrived today, I tried it out with the ink cartridge it came with, and decided I was going to swap the nib into a spare Metropolitan that had been sitting on my desk waiting for this exact moment. I washed the Kakuno out, then heard a metallic tinkle... and realized the extra fine nib had fallen out of my grasp and washed down the drain. It's gone. Almost two months of waiting just literally washed down the drain.

I ordered another from Vanness.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

I can't believe my awful luck with getting an extra fine Pilot nib. I ordered an extra fine Kakuno from Japan almost two months ago, and had to request a refund because it never arrived and there was no tracking number. I ordered another from Vanness, and it came a day late after being stuck in New Jersey for some reason. It finally arrived today, I tried it out with the ink cartridge it came with, and decided I was going to swap the nib into a spare Metropolitan that had been sitting on my desk waiting for this exact moment. I washed the Kakuno out, then heard a metallic tinkle... and realized the extra fine nib had fallen out of my grasp and washed down the drain. It's gone. Almost two months of waiting just literally washed down the drain.

I ordered another from Vanness.

drat son. Well if your P-trap hasn't been cleaned in a while it could be stuck in some sludge in there... maybe just wishful and disgusting thinking though

I've been using my italic 78G that I thought was broken cause it was spewing ink, but I guess it was just because the cartridge I had been using with it wasn't sealing well. I just fitted a converter to it & it has been working fine. Great pen. Too bad pilot converters only hold about 5 or 6 butterfly sneezes worth of ink. Now impatiently waiting for my italic M200 to get here :D

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Dogballs posted:

drat son. Well if your P-trap hasn't been cleaned in a while it could be stuck in some sludge in there... maybe just wishful and disgusting thinking though

I've been using my italic 78G that I thought was broken cause it was spewing ink, but I guess it was just because the cartridge I had been using with it wasn't sealing well. I just fitted a converter to it & it has been working fine. Great pen. Too bad pilot converters only hold about 5 or 6 butterfly sneezes worth of ink. Now impatiently waiting for my italic M200 to get here :D

It's okay, my replacement will be here Saturday even though I paid extra for what should have been faster shipping. Pandemics, what can you do. I'm not going to mess with the pipe because knowing my luck I'll need a plumber to come into my house to fix whatever I mess up.

At least the Heart of Darkness sample I got is intact. It's WAY darker than Aurora Black, wow.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The last time I accidentally washed a nib down the sink I pulled the trap and there were three nibs in there. I didn't remember losing the first two.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You should check your trap anyways having a nib in there is less than desierable.

Musharraf
Aug 26, 2004

by Reene

cobalt impurity posted:

It's stylish: Much like old-fashioned shaving has made a resurgence, fountain pens show an investment in the process of writing, rather than simply using a cheap (or even an expensive) ballpoint. Fountain pens can also be one of the few forms of "jewellery" it's acceptable for men to have. A nice way to show off and have a little personality while keeping it professional.
Does anyone else think this is deeply hosed up? No? Just some low-key gendernormativism, nbd. Cool cool cool.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Edit: Nevermind.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 21, 2020

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Musharraf posted:

Does anyone else think this is deeply hosed up? No? Just some low-key gendernormativism, nbd. Cool cool cool.

I mean, sure, it’s hosed up but also if you work in certain industries/areas that are stuck in the 1950s, it’s pretty true.

I’d definitely prefer a world where anyone can wear whatever they want and not get messed with over it, but in the mean time, enjoy fancy poo poo you like where you can in your circumstances, and don’t poo poo on people just trying to enjoy stuff they like.

Anywho, Wyrmwood (the high-end wooden tabletop gaming goods company) has a mechanical pencil out to go with their lead holder, and has said they’re working on both ballpoint and fountain pen models. Their pencils are quite pricy but the design and wood are quite nice (at least on their other products, haven’t seen the pencils in person yet).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Don't feed the troll, please

Edit:

New pen day today!

Filcao... something or other. Still haven't found the exact model. Sterling silver, faceted barrel and a cap that's very similar in texture to the Homo Sapiens pens.

grack fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 21, 2020

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Looks like there's a new Vanishing Point-like Pilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsHlxYeaXoY

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Looks dumb

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The appeal of the VP is the instant click in and out. The turning mechanism seems to go against that. It is aesthetically nice but seems to miss the mark a bit.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Heath posted:

The appeal of the VP is the instant click in and out. The turning mechanism seems to go against that. It is aesthetically nice but seems to miss the mark a bit.

If it can click out instantly, but takes a second to click back in I think that would be fine for me at least. I’m curious if there’s some advantage to that mechanism or if it’s just a gimmick.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I was thinking more that you can't (it seems) easily retract it with just your thumb, you need to turn the whole thing with your hand.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Arcsech posted:

If it can click out instantly, but takes a second to click back in I think that would be fine for me at least. I’m curious if there’s some advantage to that mechanism or if it’s just a gimmick.

This is the Capless LS, where the second bit stands for "luxury silent". The gimmick is that the mechanism doesn't click. And the "luxury" comes from how the central ring borrows tech from Pilot's wedding ring division.

This is relatively readable in Google Translate: https://kobe-nagasawa.co.jp/blog-shop/capless-ls/

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Hey Pilot

Release a VP in a loving polycarbonate body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Hey Pilot

Release a VP in a loving polycarbonate body.

They'll never top the plastic faceted Capless so just get one of those off eBay or Yahoo.