Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Very fishy is a great line

Where my spot is low tide is so far out that bringing something down to the water to get to my buoy is a pain in the rear end and it's not sandy enough to want to leave a whaler on the beach so I'm stuck in this 100ft+ tidal stretch of no mans land. I can drag it solo like I said so it's a reasonable enough solution. I'd rather not drive to a boat launch if I can wake up and hit the beach from my front steps ya know?

Its carrying the 1970s evinrude I found at a garage sale on Mercer island (only used in fresh water a couple times!!!) that really isnt fun

It's a good term to describe a boat you can fish around 100%

Stripers 200 Walk Around? Strangely enough not fishy. Nobodys gonna go on the bow to play a fish and not be worried about falling over. Get rid of the cuddy cabin and you got your self an open console fishing beast.

But there's a boat for every person and every style so they all have a point to someone.

Also still waiting for my invite to come check out your reef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Get rid of the cuddy cabin and you got your self an open console fishing beast.

Cuddy cabins seems to be the ultimate junk storage spot. Seat cushions? Toss em down below. Extra fishing pole? Jam that fucker in there. Lunch? God no, it's so hot down there you could roast a chicken.

For some reason on the Great Lakes a cabin cruiser style of boat is popular for anything over 18'. Which means 3/4 of the boat is useless and you've got 4 people bumping elbows in a tiny rear end transom area. Last time I fished on Puget Sound was on a North River and it was amazingly open.

vs.

My father had almost that exact Proline. The inside was too small to do anything with, the back was too small for more than 2 people, and you sat up too high. I don't understand why that North River style of boat (not sure the proper term) hasn't gotten more popular in freshwater.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yooper posted:

Cuddy cabins seems to be the ultimate junk storage spot. Seat cushions? Toss em down below. Extra fishing pole? Jam that fucker in there. Lunch? God no, it's so hot down there you could roast a chicken.

For some reason on the Great Lakes a cabin cruiser style of boat is popular for anything over 18'. Which means 3/4 of the boat is useless and you've got 4 people bumping elbows in a tiny rear end transom area. Last time I fished on Puget Sound was on a North River and it was amazingly open.

vs.

My father had almost that exact Proline. The inside was too small to do anything with, the back was too small for more than 2 people, and you sat up too high. I don't understand why that North River style of boat (not sure the proper term) hasn't gotten more popular in freshwater.

Those North Rivers are hot.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Yooper posted:

I'd like to hear more about this.

Mostly it is the same problem you'll find in any manufacturing job (or the military), your expensive boat is being built by inept and disgruntled stoners who resent the fact that they will never be able to buy the boats they produce.

They are loaded with features but cost as much as a modest McMansion or twice as much as a new RV. The most expensive hulls that I personally worked on had a sticker price of somewhere around $650,000.

I'm not saying the product is bad, the boats I've seen are cool and good. However, I've bottomed out my boat and / or bumped the dock enough that if I had a fiberglass hull it would have needed multiple repairs by now and I've probably only had it out a dozen times in the last 2 years.

Also, if you're a fan of worker's rights then the company I worked for is not good.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Going out Saturday to look at a few Lowe brand aluminum boats and I'm excited, $10k seems like a good buy in price for everything. Got a local place that has a crap ton of boats in stock. Looking at a Lowe 648 MV with a 25 hp outboard motor.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I went out for a couple hours last weekend in the aforementioned cold and got nothin; I'll type up something a little about where I was at when I have time, but in the meantime, poll:

Does crappie rhyme with scrappy or poppy?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
+1 for poppy

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Poppy, but crappy is more fun to say.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I feel disingenuous saying croppy. It's Crappy.

Gotta get me up another mess of white crappy

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Weather's warming up so I'm hoping to get some catfishing in soon. Hard to find chicken livers at the moment though.

I found a nice spot on the river a few years ago where you were guaranteed three or four between two and four pounds. Channel or blues, I didn't know how to tell the difference until recently. I took my brother there once and he caught a monster (for us anyway). We didn't have a scale, but it was a little over 36" and fat.

If I can't find bait, I'm going to explore new locations this weekend because my current one is a lot of walking, rock hopping and a little swimming.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Have you tried a chunk of the cheapest hot dog you can find (for catfish bait)?

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

King of Bees posted:

Have you tried a chunk of the cheapest hot dog you can find (for catfish bait)?

I really hadn't considered it before for snobbish reasons. Which is weird because rummaging through my wife's drawers looking for old hose and cursing myself for failing to stain the livers with Kool-aid AGAIN are not A River Runs Through It material.

I'll give them a go.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Custom hand tied hot dog flies

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

King of Bees posted:

I want to see this happen so badly.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

King of Bees posted:

So good.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I want to see this happen so badly.

Cut a doggy longways into strips and jam a chicken feather on it.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rythe posted:

^^^^^ So would I.

We are a family of 3 and leaning toward the aluminum bottom boats, maybe a fancy John Boat or a nicer one with bench seats that I can install nice swivel seats.

The boat is actually my wife's idea but she is looking at $20k Boston Whalers that we could never pull. Not sure how easy it's going to be selling her on a boat in our weight range with basic to medium creature comforts.

Go find an old Carolina skiff j16 with at least a 25hp on the back for 4-5k. My buddy sold one last year with a 2016 yamaha 25hp for 4K.

Basically the fiberglass version of a jon boat, super tough, drafts nothing, floats an insane amount of weight, it will pound on a chop but gotta compromise somewhere.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The used boat market out here is terrible, due to the location near the ocean it's big rear end boats. Very little in the used, light weight boats. We found a few brands new boats for $10k, I prefer used over new but if you can't find them...

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Woodpile posted:

Weather's warming up so I'm hoping to get some catfishing in soon. Hard to find chicken livers at the moment though.

I found a nice spot on the river a few years ago where you were guaranteed three or four between two and four pounds. Channel or blues, I didn't know how to tell the difference until recently. I took my brother there once and he caught a monster (for us anyway). We didn't have a scale, but it was a little over 36" and fat.

If I can't find bait, I'm going to explore new locations this weekend because my current one is a lot of walking, rock hopping and a little swimming.

If you have access to bait shrimp (like legit fresh-frozen head-on shrimp, not the dried out grocery store poo poo), channel cats flip their poo poo over it. I pulled a 10lb blue out of the Tar River with a piece last December. Stays on the hook better than livers or hot dogs too. I buy mine at Academy Sports (who also have frozen livers and shad)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

If you have access to bait shrimp (like legit fresh-frozen head-on shrimp, not the dried out grocery store poo poo), channel cats flip their poo poo over it. I pulled a 10lb blue out of the Tar River with a piece last December. Stays on the hook better than livers or hot dogs too. I buy mine at Academy Sports (who also have frozen livers and shad)

We use food grade prawns from the supermarket a lot. Absolute fish candy.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Struck out with the bespoke hotdog fly. Probably because I used goose instead of chicken feather. Also struck out with Rapala plugs and inline spinners. Wrong time of day and I got spooked from good spots because of the number of people out.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I hate fishing around other people when there isn't a plague happening, so that's bonus lovely.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

the yeti posted:

I went out for a couple hours last weekend in the aforementioned cold and got nothin; I'll type up something a little about where I was at when I have time, but in the meantime, poll:

Does crappie rhyme with scrappy or poppy?

Okay so--the TLDR is: 37F and windy, I only lasted about an hour, and in that time I broke off a jig on some sunken garbage, drowned some hotdog bits and had a lot of trouble both casting where I wanted and figuring out anything like feel of the line with the wind going like it was. Oh well. There were other people out, I counted about 6 other angling popsicles.

This is where I was at if anyone wants to have a look https://goo.gl/maps/WRRKbXjwCzuqSSnX7
I set out to check out the bottommost finger but it was shallow and full of snags on the side i was on so I moved aorund a bit til I got too cold

For next trip I'm thinking based on the number of people I've seen on the lakeshore proper that I might be better off taking a look the two creeks that feed into the lake as well as the outflow. I could see from driving around there that the inlet creeks at least have a nice amount of water in them and a few pools.

Or I call it an overpressured mess and find someplace not in the middle of an enormous public park :shobon:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I hate fishing around other people when there isn't a plague happening, so that's bonus lovely.

I love fishing with / around other people unless they are catching fish and I am not

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I should maybe ask in the other thread but does anyone have any words about building a rod from mudhole? Thinking about doing a 6wt 4 piece fly rod or a lil semi light spinner kit

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

titties posted:

I love fishing with / around other people unless they are catching fish and I am not

Fishing with friends and family is fantastic. Fishing on party boats is usually cool. Meeting people when fishing is often cool, too. Fishing from piers can make you some fishing buddies.

I loving hate combat fishing, when everybody is shoulder to shoulder on a river and grumpy because there aren't enough salmon.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Ghostnuke posted:

Got the boat out for her maiden voyage this morning, it was a perfect day. Water was calm, not too cold. Fish were jumping all over the ramp.

got about 50 yards from the ramp before my battery died

Take two this morning went slightly better. Something is still screwy electrically somewhere, the low voltage alarm goes off if I get my motor above 50%. I wonder if this battery is trash...

I checked the weather and saw the winds were 12-15 which I knew was too much, but gently caress it I went anyway. Turned out I was right, it was pretty bad. I stayed out for about 45 minutes and then went back to the ramp and threw up a little, lol.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
TS Arthur was directly offshore yesterday evening so we went to the surf and threw some lines out until sunset. The surf was pounding but the bite was on. Got a.cooler full of blues and the biggest whiting I've ever caught. I honestly thought it was a smaller red fish for a second when it came out of the water. Went back this morning to walk the dogs and the storm waves have definitely passed. It looked like any other day.

Also threw the crab traps out when we started fishing with some fresh dead and chopped up finger mullets. Picked them up a few hours later and they were empty with bait untouched. Oh well, still learning. It seems like they really prefer something a little stinkier so I'll save these carcasses today when I finally get motivated to fillet them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

King of Bees posted:

TS Arthur was directly offshore yesterday evening so we went to the surf and threw some lines out until sunset. The surf was pounding but the bite was on. Got a.cooler full of blues and the biggest whiting I've ever caught. I honestly thought it was a smaller red fish for a second when it came out of the water. Went back this morning to walk the dogs and the storm waves have definitely passed. It looked like any other day.

Also threw the crab traps out when we started fishing with some fresh dead and chopped up finger mullets. Picked them up a few hours later and they were empty with bait untouched. Oh well, still learning. It seems like they really prefer something a little stinkier so I'll save these carcasses today when I finally get motivated to fillet them.

It’s by species. Some crabs are active predators and will ignore truly rotten stuff for the snails. I always catch more with fresh raw chicken.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Local Publix usually has chicken backs pretty cheap so I'll try those next

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

King of Bees posted:

Local Publix usually has chicken backs pretty cheap so I'll try those next

I like chicken legs because the bone holds the meat fairly well.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Yesterday marks the third straight weekend of being fuckin skunked.

Of course I had to use Killer Bee brined poo poo because Academy was suddenly and inexplicably sold out of every frozen bait except a single bag of chicken hearts, and worms ain't really appropriate for the bit of estuary I went to (which didn't stop the idiot who occupied "my" spot on the pier right as I got out of the car, and spent half an hour taking selfies while ignoring his line, forcing me to cast into the wind until he went away)

So hooks and lines yielded nothing. But....

LingcodKilla posted:

I like chicken legs because the bone holds the meat fairly well.

I have yet to catch a crab in my crab trap. However I somehow caught this 1.6lb dumbshit yesterday

fat idiot was so busy chowing down on that drumstick he didn't even try to swim away

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Woodpile posted:

Best bait for catfish is almost always cut bait. If you are going the grocery store route, marinate cut chicken (I use gizzards and hearts but some people use breasts) with garlic and oil. Professional catfishers in my state (NC) swear by it.

Livers are overrated. Too many small fish.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Best bait for catfish is almost always cut bait. If you are going the grocery store route, marinate cut chicken (I use gizzards and hearts but some people use breasts) with garlic and oil. Professional catfishers in my state (NC) swear by it.

Down east they swear by clam juice marinade for their chicken chunks. Minus a couple of fatties out of the Roanoke, it wasn't all that great for me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

On west cost people claim smashed clams work well for red rocks but I’ve never bothered to collect clams to try it out. Makes sense though, after barnacles clams are the next most popular food for them.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Can someone link the tackle making thread I just spent half a G at mudhole you know... to save money.. in the long run... :thunk:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Can someone link the tackle making thread I just spent half a G at mudhole you know... to save money.. in the long run... :thunk:

Oh hell yes. Tell us your plans.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

TS Arthur was directly offshore yesterday evening so we went to the surf and threw some lines out until sunset.
Up in NC, but I'm jealous. I soaked bait all weekend long and only managed two small flounder. Other more popular beaches were closed, so my beach was a poo poo-show of spring breakers. I hope they don't close it back down.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

This may be an impossibly broad question but what are folks doing when I see them reach up and manually strip line off the reel with bait in the water?

Fiddling with line tension I assume but with what intent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
What kind of fishing?