Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's interesting how often you can read a man's inner world just by looking at not only what he chooses to display on a shelf but that he chooses to broadcast himself to the world with those items floating around his head like a halo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

PJOmega posted:

I'm not judging him for living in a disorganized mess. Whatever, you do you. I will judge him for choosing to broadcast that. Setting up a podcast nook isn't hard. Hang a sheet or something jfc.

nah those boxes are among books, he made a decision at some point in his life that his decor for this room would be 'kinda messy cheerios boxes'

like an ultra-manbaby version of people who line shelves with empty liquor bottles like they're displaying their conquests

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PJOmega posted:

I'm not judging him for living in a disorganized mess. Whatever, you do you. I will judge him for choosing to broadcast that. Setting up a podcast nook isn't hard. Hang a sheet or something jfc.

I'm not sure what's worse:

A. Rothfuss's room naturally has a bunch of Cheerios boxes all over the bookshelves.
B. He intentionally did that to give a distraction from his whine about people asking him why he's a decade late on a book in a series that was "finished" at the outset.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

He's really good about responding to even vague questions like "Any chance it'll be out this year?" as if they are demanding he commit to a precise day and time.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
"Shut up, mom! I'll tell you when I get an interview!"

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I did not watch the video because in the first like half a second he's running his hands through his stringy beard and I cannot deal.

That being said, I had assumed the Cheerios boxes were some sort of elaborate and dumb joke. But. . they're not? He just. . decorates with them? What the gently caress?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Malpais Legate posted:

I did not watch the video because in the first like half a second he's running his hands through his stringy beard and I cannot deal.

That being said, I had assumed the Cheerios boxes were some sort of elaborate and dumb joke. But. . they're not? He just. . decorates with them? What the gently caress?

If it wasn't Rothfuss I could see it as being an ironic borderline artful knock on nerd nostalgia culture consisting of expensive plastic tchotchkes to cover all the Ikea furniture in your apartment. Childhood cereal boxes are on the same artistic merit as any random Funko Pop piece. I've sold empty Booberry/Frankenberry/Count Chocula boxes in shadow boxes at ludicrous markup because nerd consumer culture is disgusting.

Since it is Rothfuss though I don't think it's an ironic sendup.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Maybe he just has those boxes from hoarding and they are around his room for easy reachable snacking. His answer about wanting a grand gesture for the release of the third book rubbed me the wrong way. You've had a decade to write the third book, your audience just wants some news about the book.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I thought about the snacking angle but it doesn't make sense. Why have a cereal box two feet away when you can run your fingers through the fishing net you call a beard and get all sorts of crunchy bits that may be food right there?

Edit: Sorry not sorry I made myself gag a little there.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

WHY ARE THEY IN THE BOOKSHELVES WHERE I CAN SEE THAT BOOKS ARE

What's worse, that he has a bunch of cheerios boxes in the bookshelves or that he collects cheerios dust jackets because that's the only other way this can be interpreted

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
He hides his secret manuscripts inside them. Well, inside one. The rest are just decoys, in case a passing pizza delivery guy gets a little TOO into his beautiful game.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
He's trying to be quirky and Not Like Those Other Girls

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

my read has always been that rothfuss adopted the Softboy thing despite being far too old for it so he could, i don't know, try and tempt 19-year olds into threesomes, and has maintained it despite how vigorously it's fallen out of style due to the rapid-fire exposures of multiple higher-profile softboys as sex pests

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PJOmega posted:

If it wasn't Rothfuss I could see it as being an ironic borderline artful knock on nerd nostalgia culture consisting of expensive plastic tchotchkes to cover all the Ikea furniture in your apartment. Childhood cereal boxes are on the same artistic merit as any random Funko Pop piece. I've sold empty Booberry/Frankenberry/Count Chocula boxes in shadow boxes at ludicrous markup because nerd consumer culture is disgusting.

Since it is Rothfuss though I don't think it's an ironic sendup.

Why the gently caress would you decorate your own house ironically as a fully grown adult?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

eXXon posted:

Why the gently caress would you decorate your own house ironically as a fully grown adult?

In what sense is he an adult?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

eXXon posted:

Honestly I thought it looked like a shed of some sort.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pseudanonymous posted:

In what sense is he an adult?

Age, size, and not much else.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

OK, I'll ask. What is a "softboy?"

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

as I understand it its a dude who takes on a persona of emotional vulnerability and/or character flaws to try to get girls to sleep with him

"let's snort oxy and make love while listening to Beach House," said the softboy. "God, I'm sorry I'm so hosed up."

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Maybe he has or is trying to gain a Cheerios sponsorship for whatever he does..

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
You've waiting for a decade for the next genre-definding masterpiece from Patrick Rothfuss, fantasy's unrivaled wordsmith. Now he's coming to breakfast! Find chapters of whatever the third book is supposed to be called in specially marked boxes of Cheerios, Honey-nut Cheerios, and Chocolate Cheerios.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I really thought they were going to be like collectible boxes of cheerios with special covers or something but no, they're just regular cheerios boxes.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Daric posted:

I really thought they were going to be like collectible boxes of cheerios with special covers or something but no, they're just regular cheerios boxes.

He probably signed them, thus making them eminently collectible in his mind, like when he signs other people's books.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

"I have the largest collection of Pat Rothfuss signed memorabilia," says theoretical author Pat Rothfuss.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Solice Kirsk posted:

Travis McElroy.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

my bony fealty posted:

as I understand it its a dude who takes on a persona of emotional vulnerability and/or character flaws to try to get girls to sleep with him

"let's snort oxy and make love while listening to Beach House," said the softboy. "God, I'm sorry I'm so hosed up."
Nah, the softboy's pick-up line is acknowledging how "valid" she is.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Travis McElroy.

probably the most benign of all softboy examples but yeah absolutely bang-on

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
He wants to be Tom Bombadil from Lord of the Rings.

Benevolent, gracious, wise, mysterious, a rescuer. Full of song, weaver of tales, playful, witty. Incorruptible by dark forces. Twee. A lovely home and a lovely life. One with nature, the ruler of his own little kingdom. A GREAT BIG BUSHY BEARD!

Insufferably quirky, but still weirdly married to a young-looking wife well above his weight class. He cannot be corrupted by the One Ring and could easily destroy it, but is too dumb and distracted and uncaring to actually do anything about it.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

"They are beautiful Cheerios", said the pizza boy, with a smile that parted his face like sun rising over grey clouds.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

"They are beautiful Cheerios", said the pizza boy, with a smile that parted his face like sun rising over grey clouds.

:unsmigghh:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

:perfect:

It so captures his poetic seemingness but then when you actually parse the words carefully the simile never makes any sense. Also the typo :wow:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like Tak. It's a fun game to play when it's the last couple people awake at a game night.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Burn the heretic.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I like Tak. It's a fun game to play when it's the last couple people awake at a game night.

Brave of that pizza guy to out himself itt

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm pretty sure it's a similie Rothfuss uses too tbh.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hey girls you wanna come to our game night we're just a bunch of fun nerdy guys who play until people start to pass out c'mon over there'll be some Mike's hard lemonade if you're feeling adventurous

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Hey girls you wanna come to our game night we're just a bunch of fun nerdy guys who play until people start to pass out c'mon over there'll be some Mike's hard lemonade if you're feeling adventurous

Rothfuss almost certainly buys those hipster alcoholic root beers and offers to make booze ice cream floats.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

pentyne posted:

Rothfuss almost certainly buys those hipster alcoholic root beers and offers to make booze ice cream floats.

That sounds good. And I live in Portland. Why am I not aware of such things? I mean good to drink, not with ice cream. And no I don't want to date rape Patrick Rothfuss fans.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

pseudanonymous posted:

That sounds good. And I live in Portland. Why am I not aware of such things? I mean good to drink, not with ice cream. And no I don't want to date rape Patrick Rothfuss fans.

You've never had Not Your Father's Root Beer? John's Marketplace has it for sure, but I see it in a lot of stores around PDX (assuming you meant OR). I think they also do an orange soda, and maybe a Mountain Dew-alike. There's probably some locally brewed variants, too, because hipsters, but boozy sodas aren't really my thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

It's basically the drink if choice at Ground Kontrol.