Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"I hope Rich is ok" is the standard line for hoping a new strip gets posted soon. It's a holdover from a time Rich was posting about dealing with health issues, but these days it just means "it's been over a week, what the heck" or "I am not enjoying this current thread of discussion."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

"I hope Rich is ok" is the standard line for hoping a new strip gets posted soon. It's a holdover from a time Rich was posting about dealing with health issues, but these days it just means "it's been over a week, what the heck" or "I am not enjoying this current thread of discussion."

Thanks for keeping me up to date with the thread vernacular. :buddy:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You will hear it quite often just before and/or during alignment arguments.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
"I hope Rich is OK" is just like, an ironic thread joke that pokes fun at the gitp forums as well. Since asking about Rich's health gets you their equivalent of a probe because those forums had a big wave of questions about it at one point. I think it's morphed here as a sort of ironic echo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

"I hope Rich is OK" is just like, an ironic thread joke that pokes fun at the gitp forums as well. Since asking about Rich's health gets you their equivalent of a probe because those forums had a big wave of questions about it at one point. I think it's morphed here as a sort of ironic echo.
This is true. There's some speculation about what the issue is, and once upon a time you might have even called it an open secret, but Rich has loudly and continuously requested that people not discuss his private medical issues for... I think a decade now. I got rightly chewed out for talking about what his health issues "probably are" a while back.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The joke itself is probably eight or ten years old itself, too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PMush Perfect posted:

This is true. There's some speculation about what the issue is, and once upon a time you might have even called it an open secret, but Rich has loudly and continuously requested that people not discuss his private medical issues for... I think a decade now. I got rightly chewed out for talking about what his health issues "probably are" a while back.

it's like the mystery of the monster in the dark but the darkness is like in rich's bowels or w/e

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Imagine if the Monster in the Dark turns out to be a satisfying reveal. With Rich I'm willing to hope

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Got 'em.

Just keep hitting next. Good memories!

(Sorry about the confusion)

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

sebmojo posted:

it's like the mystery of the monster in the dark but the darkness is like in rich's bowels or w/e
j

The MitD is going to drop the umbrella and it'll be an inflamed colon.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Getting caught up on the strip, and I appreciate that the basic potion guy in the last one is a stick-figure version of O'aka from Final Fantasy X.

I'll always remember him because there's an exchange with him in FFX where someone actually asks him why he's charging for poo poo, since if the party loses their next fight, O'aka's as good as dead. He says, without missing a beat, "I have faith in your abilities."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Wanderer posted:

Getting caught up on the strip, and I appreciate that the basic potion guy in the last one is a stick-figure version of O'aka from Final Fantasy X.

I'll always remember him because there's an exchange with him in FFX where someone actually asks him why he's charging for poo poo, since if the party loses their next fight, O'aka's as good as dead. He says, without missing a beat, "I have faith in your abilities."
There was one JRPG, I forget which, that had the potion seller set up his tent right next to the final save point before the ending boss castle/fight - except all his consumables were free.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FMguru posted:

There was one JRPG, I forget which, that had the potion seller set up his tent right next to the final save point before the ending boss castle/fight - except all his consumables were free.

I know Lunar had your best friend who took over a shop just going "uh yeah the world is in danger, have free stuff."

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Wanderer posted:

That wasn't O'aka that said that, it was Rin!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

That wasn't O'aka that said that, it was Rin!

Yeah o'aka is in prison for being Australian or something at that point.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

fool of sound posted:

he's in prison for helping the main characters, which is clearly a false charge.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

fool of sound posted:

fair enough.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I hope Rich is okay.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rich are you ok?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I hope Rich is okay.

It's been so long I feel like it's time we break out the big guns and turn this into a Goblins read-along thread.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Usually, long delays mean there’s something big coming that Rich needs to prep for, doesn’t it?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PMush Perfect posted:

Usually, long delays mean there’s something big coming that Rich needs to prep for, doesn’t it?

For example, an urgent hand surgery.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

It has been a little over two weeks, which is nothing for an OOTS update.

The fact that the forums are down (at least for me) is a bit more concerning.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

PMush Perfect posted:

I can't find it but I believe he's said the early parts of a book and the combat are often the hardest to write, because they require the most thought.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Does Rich make a full time living off Oots or does he have another full-time job? I would think the comic is full-time now for how long and popular it is, but maybe I am over estimating the draw.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Donkringel posted:

Does Rich make a full time living off Oots or does he have another full-time job? I would think the comic is full-time now for how long and popular it is, but maybe I am over estimating the draw.

He's been full-time for more than a decade now. The reprinting kickstarter he did alone raised over a million dollars (that he then kind of squandered because he's a weirdo who refuses to just let people give him money).

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

AnoHito posted:

The reprinting kickstarter he did alone raised over a million dollars (that he then kind of squandered because he's a weirdo who refuses to just let people give him money).

I wouldn't say squandered so much as 'didn't keep a dime for himself', but you're spot on with the rest of it. Speaking of which, did he ever finish that Work-O-Meter or is there still "Patience" drawings to go?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you have to bet on whether the comic or the Kickstarter rewards finish first, it's not clear where the smart money is.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah the Kickstarter suffered from terrible stretch goal creep but not in a funny way like star citizen

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Shugojin posted:

Yeah the Kickstarter suffered from terrible stretch goal creep but not in a funny way like star citizen

It's also worth mentioning that his was one of the first crowdfunding projects to exist, so there wasn't the body of wisdom saying "don't do a million stretch goals" that exists now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

AnoHito posted:

because he's a weirdo who refuses to just let people give him money)
He’s finally softened up on that, and is selling book PDFs and even has a Patreon. I suspect it’s because physical merch sales have been declining over the past few years.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's also worth mentioning that his was one of the first crowdfunding projects to exist, so there wasn't the body of wisdom saying "don't do a million stretch goals" that exists now.
Also he wasn't planning to cut his drawing thumb in an unrelated accident.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

He’s finally softened up on that, and is selling book PDFs and even has a Patreon. I suspect it’s because physical merch sales have been declining over the past few years.

I think that and also it's a lot harder to make money on ad revenue now than when he started so just letting people throw him a minimum of $2 /month on Patreon will give him a lot more money than that person's ad views in a month likely would have.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Shugojin posted:

I think that and also it's a lot harder to make money on ad revenue now than when he started so just letting people throw him a minimum of $2 /month on Patreon will give him a lot more money than that person's ad views in a month likely would have.

Particularly since at the current pace, most people are only visiting the site 3-4 times a month, as opposed to several times a week as in the early days.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

:siren: Rich status: okay :siren:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

It worked. :smugdog:

The panel with Minrah and Durkon seems somewhat ominous.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nah, just dwarves being dwarves.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
They wouldn't spend so much time describing the spell if it wasn't going to backfire somehow right?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

ikanreed posted:

They wouldn't spend so much time describing the spell if it wasn't going to backfire somehow right?

Could be a Chekhov's gun: the 3e version of Wind Walk lasts 1 hour per level, during which time you can fly at 60mph by changing from gaseous to physical form and back again at will. It's basically "Hey, did everyone ever want to be superheroes all day long?" the spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I appreciate V's extremely good burn.