Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Amy Pole Her posted:

I’ve got 8 boats and 4 jetskis. I’m out of control tbh

Jet skis are a great way to burn 10 gallons of gasoline and oil in less than an hour. Had a few of them before.

Edit: had a Wetbike Tomcat too:

wallaka fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilPsych
Jul 19, 2004
Ask me about my 'LiveJournal' :rollseyes:

Big Taint posted:

By decreasing LOA:

Santa Cruz 50 (52’)
Catalina 30 (30’)
Boston Whaler 15 SS Ltd (15’)
Flying Junior (14’)
Ocean Tandem kayak (12’)
SUP (12’)
RC sailboat (3’)

138 feet of watercraft.

Which ones your favorite if you had to get rid of the rest? I’m gonna guess either the 52 or the fj-14

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The SC is The Best Boat so she’s staying. The Whaler is great too. The rest could go. Was gonna be trying to sell the Catalina about now but the world fell apart first...

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Talk me out of buying a forty foot trawler and moving onto it forever.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
That sounds phenomenal so long as it has in motion satellite and 4g so, no?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Karma Comedian posted:

Talk me out of buying a forty foot trawler and moving onto it forever.

A guy I sailed with once does this, his cost of living is so low he is a ski instructor in Vail five months out of the year and that covers the rest of his living expenses for the year. He posts a lot of pictures of him hanging out with cute coed ski students all the time so I don't think he hates his life decisions.

Your dating pool is significantly reduced because the trawler is only one to 1.5 steps up from living in a van. 2 steps up if you can get the boat to leave the slip under it's own power.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Trawler is not a sexy word, it needs a PR makeover.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

taqueso posted:

Trawler is not a sexy word, it needs a PR makeover.

Turbo skipjack?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skipjack_(boat)

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Hadlock posted:

A guy I sailed with once does this, his cost of living is so low he is a ski instructor in Vail five months out of the year and that covers the rest of his living expenses for the year. He posts a lot of pictures of him hanging out with cute coed ski students all the time so I don't think he hates his life decisions.

Your dating pool is significantly reduced because the trawler is only one to 1.5 steps up from living in a van. 2 steps up if you can get the boat to leave the slip under it's own power.

:smug: "You know, MacGyver used to live on a houseboat. So, you want to go back to my place and I can squeeze into your slip?"

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I think you came to the wrong thread if you wanted to be talked out of it. Go for it. We only live a short while so follow your dreams while you still can. Yes, I'm facing my mortality why do you ask? Goes some way towards explaining why I have a new yacht arriving tomorrow. gently caress it!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Helped a friend pull the outdrives off his twin-sterndrive motorboat last weekend. Every bloody fastener was seized solid. Why is everything involving boats so poorly designed? The lower retaining pins are held in place by locking pins and corrosion. They have completely round and smooth heads so it's impossible to get a good grip on them, and mounted in a way that you can't strike them or get good leverage to force them out.

We finally got them out by using a big rear end pipe wrench that could pinch strong enough for its teeth to dig into the steel of the pin head and get a good grip.

The upper pins could be pushed through from outside, fortunately. They too were stuck solid but we had a six pound argument (aka a sledgehammer) to convince them with.

:argh:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Collateral Damage posted:

Helped a friend pull the outdrives off his twin-sterndrive motorboat last weekend. Every bloody fastener was seized solid. Why is everything involving boats so poorly designed? The lower retaining pins are held in place by locking pins and corrosion. They have completely round and smooth heads so it's impossible to get a good grip on them, and mounted in a way that you can't strike them or get good leverage to force them out.

We finally got them out by using a big rear end pipe wrench that could pinch strong enough for its teeth to dig into the steel of the pin head and get a good grip.

The upper pins could be pushed through from outside, fortunately. They too were stuck solid but we had a six pound argument (aka a sledgehammer) to convince them with.

Ugh, DuoProp. We had one coupled to a Volvo Penta diesel that saw thousands of F/R shifts, and it had a solid 2" of slop at the skeg when we got rid of it. I/Is are great for speed and efficiency, but awful at everything else. Sorry you got to deal with that.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Salt water boat, or no?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

wallaka posted:

Jet skis are a great way to burn 10 gallons of gasoline and oil in less than an hour. Had a few of them before.

Edit: had a Wetbike Tomcat too:

You’re stuck in 2001 my man. The 4tec 4 stroke is such a bitchin little OHV motor.

The 2 strokers do suck it up though. But i mean, I have a 31 ocean master now with twin mercury optimax motors so i know fuel burn

Edit that TomCat is something else though. I used to have one of those Kawasaki jet mates with the fighter stick control too.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 15, 2020

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Also - the 23 in her element and current home

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Amy Pole Her posted:

You’re stuck in 2001 my man. The 4tec 4 stroke is such a bitchin little OHV motor.

The 2 strokers do suck it up though. But i mean, I have a 31 ocean master now with twin mercury optimax motors so i know fuel burn

Edit that TomCat is something else though. I used to have one of those Kawasaki jet mates with the fighter stick control too.

I love the 2-strokes but man. I had a 24-foot double decker pontoon with an Evinrude 90 and it was about the same as the jet skis.

wallaka fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 16, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Upper Decker

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Popete posted:

Upper Decker

My wife’s idea.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
2 strokes are the ultimate short sighted solution.

It’ll be powerful
It’ll be light
It’ll suck up gas
It’ll break
It’ll cost $300 to get brand new
*repeat*

I’m excited to see if my 300 horsepower 1.5 L jetski can outburn my old 1990 Evinrude 250. It’s easily my worst motor in terms of burn but best in reliability

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

wallaka posted:

My wife’s idea.

My wife convinced me to name our boat Lemon Party. It was too on the nose and I’ve been paying for Neptune’s forgiveness since I changed it again after a couple of seasons.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

sharkytm posted:

Ugh, DuoProp. We had one coupled to a Volvo Penta diesel that saw thousands of F/R shifts, and it had a solid 2" of slop at the skeg when we got rid of it. I/Is are great for speed and efficiency, but awful at everything else. Sorry you got to deal with that.

Counterpoint, they can make pigs of lake boats actually capable of towing with just a 305. Hole shot is truly incredible.

Not that the R/R didn't suck for you.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Neslepaks posted:

I was just informed it should arrive in Oslo on 16 May. :stwoon:

Do you have a name picked out yet,?

monsterzero posted:

My wife convinced me to name our boat Lemon Party. It was too on the nose and I’ve been paying for Neptune’s forgiveness since I changed it again after a couple of seasons.

Because goatse yacht could open up a big whole if it gets renamed after the fact.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Goatse still makes me laugh, lemon party hasn’t aged so well.

I would proudly fly a spinnaker with hands coming from the sides, grasping a meatball

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Crunchy Black posted:

Counterpoint, they can make pigs of lake boats actually capable of towing with just a 305. Hole shot is truly incredible.

Not that the R/R didn't suck for you.

They actually put those things on 305s? I puttered around one summer in a ~20ft bayliner with a 305 and an alpha one and it was just barely capable of getting out of its own way. I can’t imagine giving it even more bite down low did anything good to the top end.

I always thought the counter-rotating drives were behind big blocks or something. Certainly not Chevrolet’s favorite anchor.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Four Winns put duo Pentas as an option behind pretty much anything they built post...94? They were what I grew up on, learned to wake and drive on.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

monsterzero posted:

Goatse still makes me laugh, lemon party hasn’t aged so well.

I would proudly fly a spinnaker with hands coming from the sides, grasping a meatball

there was a browser game goons griefed a decade ago where they got the moderators to put in a flag with a "zia" symbol that was really the goatse. Cyber nations?

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

So a package arrived...

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Wonder what's inside?

Oh. Darling, it's the boat I ordered.

Plop it in.

And just like that

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

gvibes posted:

Salt water boat, or no?
Yeah. She's spent most of her life in the Baltic sea as far as I know.

sharkytm posted:

Fortunately once they came off they're not going back on. My friend is ripping the sterndrives out completely and modifying the stern to mount twin outboards instead.

Neslepaks posted:

And just like that

Great looking boat. Enjoy!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Fortunately once they came off they're not going back on. My friend is ripping the sterndrives out completely and modifying the stern to mount twin outboards instead.

Great looking boat. Enjoy!

Outboards are great. Easy to work on out of the water, not too bad in the water for basic maintenance, super reliable (brand specific), 4 hour engineer overhaul of you're in a hurry, and much better shallow water performance.

And that's a nice looking yacht. They're not my style, but that looks much nicer than the standard mass-produced cruiser.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Yeah, there are reasons that I/Os are not super popular for salt water applications.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Neslepaks posted:

And just like that

Just in time to grab some ice cream cones and pølse and celebrate 17. Mai. Gratulerer med dagen!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Neslepaks posted:

Wonder what's inside?

That's awesome. Did you get to unwrap it yourself?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

monsterzero posted:

*opens pocket knife. looks at boat, looks back at pocket knife*

"Honey, where's my pole saw?"

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

madeintaipei posted:

*opens pocket knife. looks at boat, looks back at pocket knife*

"Honey, where's my pole saw?"

Looks like you need a bigger knife, sailor.

Just kidding, I'd probably go ham with my keys because the box cutters all know when it's time to hide.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

monsterzero posted:

Unfortunately no. :) It arrived friday night and I went and had a peek on saturday. Handover is tomorrow.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
why the gently caress do I have to deal with trying to distinguish between 10mm and 3/8" clevis pins on a Swedish-built boat in Sweden? this is not supposed to be my problem, god drat it!

(splashed fine last friday, no leaks, no other problems, now trying to get the mast up and discovering some pins have mysteriously gone missing and of course I don't have any spares of the right size, and I'm 99% certain I have a mix of metric and imperial hardware - the turnbuckles and backstays use imperial pins, while the forestay, the jib furler, the shrouds and everything on the boom uses metric ones :argh: )

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 17, 2020

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Neslepaks posted:

And just like that

That's awesome. Congrats!

Why'd you go and buy a boat missing a mast and sails!?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
That is a sweet boat Neslepaks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Thanks everyone. :) Now to learn to operate the damned thing.