Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I have a question about Macs and keyboard indicator lights...

I'm thinking of ordering a custom keyboard from WASD and/or Unicomp where the legend reflects some key re-mappings I've done / want to do:.
  • With Karabiner, I've re-mapped my caps lock key as a hyper key (⌘⌥⌃⇧).

• On a new full keyboard, I'd want to re-map the num lock / clear key as something similar, but which stays active after being pressed (e.g., press it and it activates a bunch of macros in Keyboard Maestro, press it again and it de-activates those macros—still thinking on this, though).
What I'm trying to figure out are my options for the indicator lights. Namely: I'd like the caps/lock hyper key to still flash when it's pressed down, and I'd like the new num lock to indicate when it's active or not. With WASD in particular, this could be pretty cool if you have sub-legends and modified colors for the indicator lights. Red indicator light = red sub legends active. Green indicator light = green sub legends active.

Is... is there some hacky workaround to make any of this possible? In essence: re-map the keys, but trick the keyboard indicator lights into treating them as if they haven't been re-mapped.

I'm using an old bluetooth satechi keyboard with only a caps lock indicator. It works if I turn off the caps lock re-mapping in Karabiner, and I haven't figured out a way to keep the indicator working even when the key has been re-mapped. Up 'til now I haven't really cared, but for indicators that stay on/off, it'd be more important.

I have Keyboard Maestro, Karabiner, BetterTouchTool, and Alfred. I'm very very very beginner with Applescript and mostly just duct tape stuff from what I find on forums or tweak from downloaded workflows that use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Crunchy Black posted:

Also if you don't have a iStat license, go ahead and do yourself the favor at that price even if you don't consider yourself a power user.

I was about to, but noticed it hasn't been updated in close to a year. Says it's compatible with Catalina, though, so I'll probably go ahead and pick it up. A lil diagnostic display doesn't need regular, timely updates I suppose!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

istat menu does a sneaky thing where it gives you a really handy weather widget in the menu bar but only for six months before you have to pay an annual fee for it. nice.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
homebrew has been the standard over macports for like... 7 years

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What's the best for tracking lost space on my system drive? Nothing I have is making any kind of sense right now, nor is it matching up with eachother. About My Mac is telling me I have over 100gb free, but the status bar in Finder is saying nope - 45gb. That number is refusing to budge even when I move files off it. I wiped out my iPhone backups I make with iMazing which claimed to be eating up 50gb of space but this then never appeared. Persists past a reboot too. If it was just a phantom number I wouldn't care so much, but I've had low disk space warnings so I don't think it is.

Daisy Disk is also showing about 45gb free space, but in the list of stuff used I have a Users folder of about 90gb (which seems high but eh), Library of 15 Apps of 30 and System of 10 and nothing else major... that's not the 230gb it claims is being used. I scanned it as Administrator, but its saying it's a Read Only disk so I'm thinking it's not able to see a folder or something.

The Manage Disk option in About My Mac does a breakdown where it shows 80gb of 'Other' files which smells like the data I'm looking for, but it isn't selectable so I don't know where this is.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Last Chance posted:

istat menu does a sneaky thing where it gives you a really handy weather widget in the menu bar but only for six months before you have to pay an annual fee for it. nice.
i dont super understand the point of the weather widget anyway when the notifications sidebar with a detailed weather view is like right there, for free. the rest of istat menus owns though.

EL BROMANCE posted:

What's the best for tracking lost space on my system drive? Nothing I have is making any kind of sense right now, nor is it matching up with eachother. About My Mac is telling me I have over 100gb free, but the status bar in Finder is saying nope - 45gb. That number is refusing to budge even when I move files off it. I wiped out my iPhone backups I make with iMazing which claimed to be eating up 50gb of space but this then never appeared. Persists past a reboot too. If it was just a phantom number I wouldn't care so much, but I've had low disk space warnings so I don't think it is.

Daisy Disk is also showing about 45gb free space, but in the list of stuff used I have a Users folder of about 90gb (which seems high but eh), Library of 15 Apps of 30 and System of 10 and nothing else major... that's not the 230gb it claims is being used. I scanned it as Administrator, but its saying it's a Read Only disk so I'm thinking it's not able to see a folder or something.

The Manage Disk option in About My Mac does a breakdown where it shows 80gb of 'Other' files which smells like the data I'm looking for, but it isn't selectable so I don't know where this is.
GrandPerspective

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

GrandPerspective

Isn't seeing any deeper than Daisy Disk if I'm reading it right (I used to use this years ago but switched to DD a bunch of years back as it was a nicer interface)

quote:

Volume size: 255gb
Size of Scanned Files: 111gb
Miscellaneous used space: 106gb
Initial free space: 38.5gb

So it sees even less space than Finder does! (I'm guessing the difference between GB and GiB, hopefully).

It didn't ask for FDA, but I've added it anyway and trying a rescan to see if that finds anything.

e: nope, no real difference. Finds a 16gb photo library I knew about already and that's it.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 15, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i dont super understand the point of the weather widget anyway when the notifications sidebar with a detailed weather view is like right there, for free. the rest of istat menus owns though.

I forgot about the weather widget in the also forgotten "Today" view in notification center (I usually have it on the notifications "tab" anyway for... reading my notifications) until I read this post.

That might be a good enough reason. Also it's nice to.. like be working on something and look up and see the weather so I know if it's raining so I can take my prison yard walk or not

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Found the cause of my HDD space issue, local time machine snapshots. One of them was 50gb big, most likely the stuff I deleted earlier that would then free up in a few days. A bit annoying it works like this.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mad Wack posted:

I was getting freaked out by the constant need to use sudo with it, so I went with MacPorts instead. It works fine for the basic stuff I have to do, I suppose.

But I’m still going to be elitist about it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

Access to weather data from Dark Sky and Wunderground require developers pay for API access per user

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Obviously

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

tuyop posted:

I was getting freaked out by the constant need to use sudo with it

Hmm? That's weird. Did you install it like this: https://docs.brew.sh/Installation

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Johnny Law posted:

Hmm? That's weird. Did you install it like this: https://docs.brew.sh/Installation

Yeah I must have messed it up somehow years ago, but that looks like the guide I followed.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mad Wack posted:

Homebrew is currently undergoing Drama so the time is right for MacPorts to strike back...

DirtyRobot posted:

I have a question about Macs and keyboard indicator lights...

If you're not running System 10.15 Catalina then ControllerMate will do it.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

~Coxy posted:

Homebrew is currently undergoing Drama so the time is right for MacPorts to strike back...

What’s the gossip?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

nervana posted:

bump because i may be having similar problems

I just have given up. The microphone I was using for my other USB can’t be found by audacity if I leave it plugged in anyway so when I need it I just unplug my phone USB.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sri.Theo posted:

What’s the gossip?

I went and found the link I read and I just realised it's from last year. So I guess it all blew over.

https://saagarjha.com/blog/2019/04/26/thoughts-on-macos-package-managers/

(see also:
https://github.com/Homebrew/brew/pull/4864#issuecomment-489648355
https://old.reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/bkypkg/maos_power_users_did_you_know_that_brew_uses/emnweyn/

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
It is interesting that it uses Google Analytics. I didn't realise that.

Anyway lets talk Calendar app and default calendars as when someone sends me a calendar invitation from their iPhone it goes into my iCloud calendar, which I don't actually use. How do I get it to show up in my exchange calendar where I want it to be?

I've changed the default in preferences but it doesn't make a difference. I don't know if the fact I've used the same email address for both iCloud and my Microsoft account is messing with things?

Edit: Also unticking calendar sync in iCloud apparently means I don't get meeting invitations at all...

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 16, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sri.Theo posted:

It is interesting that it uses Google Analytics. I didn't realise that.

Anyway lets talk Calendar app and default calendars as when someone sends me a calendar invitation from their iPhone it goes into my iCloud calendar, which I don't actually use. How do I get it to show up in my exchange calendar where I want it to be?

I've changed the default in preferences but it doesn't make a difference. I don't know if the fact I've used the same email address for both iCloud and my Microsoft account is messing with things?

Edit: Also unticking calendar sync in iCloud apparently means I don't get meeting invitations at all...

The person sending the invite is likely sending it to your personal email address. My boss does this occasionally because he has both of my email addresses in his contact list and somehow whatever mail app he uses autofills my personal email address into Outlook invites when he types my name in

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone using a modern Mac with a Focusrite Saffire interface? Typically after I buy one I see a review saying they’re having a nightmare getting it to work. I’m hoping it’s just typical Focusrite lovely software that I’ve dealt with in the past. I just need a way of recording a single instrument level input into Logic or whatever.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

tuyop posted:

I was getting freaked out by the constant need to use sudo with it, so I went with MacPorts instead. It works fine for the basic stuff I have to do, I suppose.

But I’m still going to be elitist about it.

what? It explicitly tells you *not* to use sudo and some forumlae won't even install if you try and use it with sudo?
/fair disclosure I have a professional relationship with the Homebrew dev team but I use it regularly and love it and so does my entire team.

enojy posted:

I was about to, but noticed it hasn't been updated in close to a year. Says it's compatible with Catalina, though, so I'll probably go ahead and pick it up. A lil diagnostic display doesn't need regular, timely updates I suppose!

I'm not aware of any active digression in developing it, I've been using it for, drat, more than a decade, now; I'd imagine since its commercial that if something in a new macOS broke it, they'd update it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Also, the only time Homebrew has ever elevated to a password prompt for me is when I've installed some cask applications, never on any regular CLI commands.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
which it would anyway if you'd just downloaded the DMG from a website.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Last Chance posted:

The person sending the invite is likely sending it to your personal email address. My boss does this occasionally because he has both of my email addresses in his contact list and somehow whatever mail app he uses autofills my personal email address into Outlook invites when he types my name in

I said exchange because that’s what it’s called on the computer actually it’s a personal outlook.com email address with a personal domain. Email, calendar and contacts are syncing fine it’s just the drat invitations being a pain.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Homebrew is run by assholes who have to deal with assholes on the regular. They have made some stupid decisions that only make sense if you simply don't give a poo poo about users which is well within their rights, but annoying.

Everything else sucks worse though so we're stuck with it and its slowness

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Malcolm XML posted:

Homebrew is run by assholes

Accurate, and the rest of your statement is simply what follows as the result of that. It didn't start out so toxic, but a toxic maintainer will certainly bring more people willing to engage that toxicity.

I also agree it's the best package manager for MacOS, though I question whether my needs really even justify a package manager at this point.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

For me, it's better than the CrApp Store because all I have to do to check for the latest version of an app is

brew cask upgrade somecoolapp

None of this poo poo where I have to track down the website, find the update link, download, mount, drag the app to the Applications folder, tell it yes I know I'm replacing an older version.

If I'm current it just tells me there aint poo poo to upgrade, if not I get to see old and new version number displayed and do nothing past typing that one line. Great for apps like Chrome / Chromium where I can't even be sussed to launch them and check their About.. menu for upgrading.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Binary Badger posted:

For me, it's better than the CrApp Store because all I have to do to check for the latest version of an app is

brew cask upgrade somecoolapp

None of this poo poo where I have to track down the website, find the update link, download, mount, drag the app to the Applications folder, tell it yes I know I'm replacing an older version.

If I'm current it just tells me there aint poo poo to upgrade, if not I get to see old and new version number displayed and do nothing past typing that one line. Great for apps like Chrome / Chromium where I can't even be sussed to launch them and check their About.. menu for upgrading.

I’ve drastically pared down the software I have installed, and it’s all self-maintaining anyway. It probably is worth it for things like gcc but I can certainly see getting to a point where it just doesn’t offer enough. I live in Safari, Chrome, iterm, weechat, and elinks and have no issue opening them all with frequency.

I don’t really have anything from the Mac App Store outside xcode and 1blocker.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anyone using a modern Mac with a Focusrite Saffire interface? Typically after I buy one I see a review saying they’re having a nightmare getting it to work. I’m hoping it’s just typical Focusrite lovely software that I’ve dealt with in the past. I just need a way of recording a single instrument level input into Logic or whatever.

a colleague of mine (keys player) does, and afaik it works fine. I think he got the latest model of the 2i2? with usb c out, so no dongles or adapters necessary. idk if he does stuff in logic, but he def uses mainstage and it works perfectly

I have a modern mac and a presiones interface and I spent upwards of a month getting it to work. the solution is that every time I have to plug in the usb cable into my laptop, then into the interface. idfk why that matters, but :shrug:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think 2i2s are Scarletts which are still on their ‘we officially support these!’ list. The saffires are listed in their ‘we have drivers for Catalina for these, but hey’ list.

I was about to pull the trigger on a presonus firebox but it came up as absolutely not supported. Luckily I found that.

Budget interfaces look so crummy, I’d rather take the $50 risk on something older with solid hardware and hope for driver support than ‘hey this $30 piece of Chinese amazon poo poo isn’t grounded and everything buzzes’.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If anyone else has to use Homebrew but kind of hates having to remember exactly which commands are needed to update and install things, Cakebrew is a simple GUI so you can click buttons to manage stuff instead

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

TACD posted:

If anyone else has to use Homebrew but kind of hates having to remember exactly which commands are needed to update and install things, Cakebrew is a simple GUI so you can click buttons to manage stuff instead

very cool thanks!!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think 2i2s are Scarletts which are still on their ‘we officially support these!’ list. The saffires are listed in their ‘we have drivers for Catalina for these, but hey’ list.

I was about to pull the trigger on a presonus firebox but it came up as absolutely not supported. Luckily I found that.

Budget interfaces look so crummy, I’d rather take the $50 risk on something older with solid hardware and hope for driver support than ‘hey this $30 piece of Chinese amazon poo poo isn’t grounded and everything buzzes’.

There's a thread in Musician's Lounge that might be of more help. Personally, I had a Behringer UMC22 that was just fine for what I do, but I upgraded to a Steinberg UR22mkII when it was on sale. I don't think I hear any difference, but the Steinberg is built way better. On a budget, the Behringer is fine and works great with CoreAudio. Even at $100 though, you can get a pretty good basic interface from any of the big players (Focusrite, PreSonus, Steinberg, et cetera), that will work without any driver shenanigans.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ll find out in a few days when it arrives. The Behringer 2 and 22 models seem in short supply at the moment and are costing a good chunk more than their value, im guessing everyone rushed out to buy them.

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Has Azure AD user accounts on macs been solved yet? Anyone in thread have any experience on it?

Jamf Connect is looking like a strong contender, and *seems* to do it, but I have had no experience with it, and I can't find any blogs on it.
Federating AppleIDs seems like it's part of the puzzle too? As a way of curtailing the Find My tools from being used after off-boarding.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

blindidiotgod posted:

Has Azure AD user accounts on macs been solved yet? Anyone in thread have any experience on it?

Jamf Connect is looking like a strong contender, and *seems* to do it, but I have had no experience with it, and I can't find any blogs on it.
Federating AppleIDs seems like it's part of the puzzle too? As a way of curtailing the Find My tools from being used after off-boarding.

Jamf Connect is formerly NoMAD, so you might find more discussion under that name, if that hasn't been part of your search.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

~Coxy posted:

If you're not running System 10.15 Catalina then ControllerMate will do it.

I'm late saying this, but thank you.

(Alas, I am running Catalina, but some quick googling says ControllerMate will at some point be updated. In any case, it makes me optimistic that it'll be possible from the OS.)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Up until recently I had been doing time machine backups to a location on a shared NFS location and it worked pretty well. However I've since changed servers doing the NFS and now time machine errors out with no real explanation. I did some digging around and OSX thinks the .sparsebundle I made has gone weird, but I suspect it may be due to the host change. I'm not too tore up with the notion of just nuking it and starting again, but would prefer not to if possible. Has anyone encountered this? Are there best practices for having your time machine backup living on a NAS? I can't be the only person doing this, but all the solutions I've found seem a bit hack-y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Is anyone in education/design using a remote solution for users that need graphics horsepower to access machines remotely? Given how compression & delay sensitive a lot of these applications are, it would be very helpful to hear if anyone has a solution their users like or at least tolerate. Getting the college to spring for ARD licenses is probably not going to happen, and I'm trying not to set up 90+ individual VNC connections, but things are trending that direction.