Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Someone's Quake map got well out of hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

that waist-high wall intentionally blocking the stairs from going all the way to the lower floor, so you have to walk around past the front door

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Surely it was the weight of the rope/tape pulling the rest of it downwards after some point? :psyduck:

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Wait do you guys just have your maid reach over your arms to work the taps?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

insta posted:

Surely it was the weight of the rope/tape pulling the rest of it downwards after some point? :psyduck:

Wells in the Southwest US are loving DEEP. Could also be a vert shaft to a mine, which litter the Southwest also.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Pekinduck posted:

Wait do you guys just have your maid reach over your arms to work the taps?

Just lol if you don't have Enrique wash your hands for you.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

We had to let Enrique go because he contracted the rona.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

This is it. The insurance adjuster’s nightmare.

An hour of sketching and another hour pulling it into Exactimate sketch. For a couple of water stains.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 16, 2020

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Forget the insurance adjuster, won't someone think of the drywaller?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

This house looks like one of those marble run sets.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It's somehow both open and claustrophobic because of how things are broken up and the way the ceiling slopes.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Warmachine posted:

It's somehow both open and claustrophobic because of how things are broken up and the way the ceiling slopes.

The flip-house of Dr. Caligari

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

The House That Procedural Generation Built

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Proteus Jones posted:

Wells in the Southwest US are loving DEEP. Could also be a vert shaft to a mine, which litter the Southwest also.

The tape is not nearly long enough to explain a free fall that long. It is almost certainly the weight of the tape pulling the rest of it down once the nut has hit the bottom.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
How does having a tape of insufficient length to plumb a mineshaft prove it's not a mineshaft?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

drgitlin posted:

The tape is not nearly long enough to explain a free fall that long.

Do you mean it fell for too long given the length? Well, yeah in a frictionless vacuum, sure. The depth would be just over 2800 meters in that case.

I mean more likely explanations are: terminal velocity, bouncing off the sides/outcroppings, and friction from the tape as it slides against the edge of the opening slowing the journey to the bottom/end of the tap.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 16, 2020

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm about 80% sure that they found a weird hole then went down about 2m and the guy who got down there noticed that he could duck in a little crevice and not be seen from above. So then they filmed the cool tiktok of the guy yanking down line as fast as he could.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Is a deep well the biggest impossibility in this thread?

At first I thought the weight of the tape was keeping it going after a bit, too. If you watch at the end, the tape snaps taut againts the cross member he's attached it to.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

mr.belowaverage posted:

Is a deep well the biggest impossibility in this thread?

At first I thought the weight of the tape was keeping it going after a bit, too. If you watch at the end, the tape snaps taut againts the cross member he's attached it to.

I half expected the string to be unsecured and lost to the hole.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/EricVBailey/sta...r%3D792%23pti37

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Look, there's no way to predict how things will line up until you finish

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Measure never, cut out once

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm going to have to do something not that different in my place, because the builders cut a 2-gang hole for a 1 gang socket, so my choice is either a) lots of hassle to fill half the gap and paint it, or put in a double and not have enough room for the full architrave.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Fill it! It's not that bad. Get some hot mud and knock it out.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Surely having to patch some drywall is preferable to... that

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Chitin posted:

Surely having to patch some drywall is preferable to... that

Yeah, probably. I was steered away from it by the sparkies, but maybe I'll reconsider.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Electricians and drywall are natural enemies. Like electricians and hvac. Or electricians and plumbers. drat electricians, they've ruined electricity!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

StormDrain posted:

Electricians and drywall are natural enemies. Like electricians and hvac. Or electricians and plumbers. drat electricians, they've ruined electricity!

That said, it wasn't the electricians that boarded over a fully wired double socket.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

StormDrain posted:

And electricians and scots!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

wesleywillis posted:

And electricians and scots!

And electricians and other electricians!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t worry. I fixed it.

e: :unsmigghh:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 16, 2020

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

drgitlin posted:

The tape is not nearly long enough to explain a free fall that long. It is almost certainly the weight of the tape pulling the rest of it down once the nut has hit the bottom.

That's probably a 50m plastic tape (might be a 30m) that's been unwound out of it's case. Even with case they weigh about a kilogram so given there was no change of speed whatsover in the unwinding and a big swing when the tape went taut, it's almost certainly hanging. Without the weight of the bolt the momentum of the tape wouldn't have been enough to pull through the friction of the coils of tape and it would have stopped after a few meters. This is what happens if say you try and throw it over a tree branch without a weight.

As to the idea someone below is pulling out the tape. Anyone who's ever handled that type of tape regularly will know exactly how absurd the idea of pulling it in by hand at anywhere near the speed of gravity is. (Hint: Utterly and completely.)

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Jaguars! posted:

That's probably a 50m plastic tape (might be a 30m) that's been unwound out of it's case.

Look it's just not humanly possible to dig a hole that deep. The technology just doesnt exist so it must be a fake.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The only sane answer is for someone to jump in and tell us how deep it is.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Atticus_1354 posted:

Look it's just not humanly possible to dig a hole that deep. The technology just doesnt exist so it must be a fake.

Earth is flat, and by flat I mean it is completely two-dimensional and you can't prove me wrong

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Re: brick chat, there is a newly built extension to a house near me where all the exterior brickwork (which is going to be in front of block so is hopefully non supporting) is completely aligned, no staggering at all and it looks completely and utterly wrong.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Stacked bonds remind me of schools built in the 60 and 70's, maybe more of a mid mod style? I think it looks good on the right application.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

StormDrain posted:

Stacked bonds remind me of schools built in the 60 and 70's, maybe more of a mid mod style? I think it looks good on the right application.

I've never seen it in brickwork, just tile cladding.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Call before you dig, people!

Of course, I'm not sure that the utility companies know about undiscovered 6th century graveyards...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

this actually owns, I want this in my house