Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Honestly it’s disrespectful that anyone ever posted anywhere again after the Deadspin staff quit. The entire internet should have shut down and been transformed into a shrine honoring the Deadspin staff’s journalistic integrity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

General Dog posted:

Honestly it’s disrespectful that anyone ever posted anywhere again after the Deadspin staff quit. The entire internet should have shut down and been transformed into a shrine honoring the Deadspin staff’s journalistic integrity.

drat this alternate timeline where i never have to see your posts again sounds absolutely divine

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

They aren't scabs. The union didn't strike, they didn't take someone else's job who were still employed but participating in a labor action.

I mean I mostly agree with you and think the new version is just super lame more than anything but the people who quit did not have the option to go on strike instead without violating the CBA.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

MourningView posted:

I mean I mostly agree with you and think the new version is just super lame more than anything but the people who quit did not have the option to go on strike instead without violating the CBA.

That's a fair point, that I didn't think of.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

drat this alternate timeline where i never have to see your posts again sounds absolutely divine

tbh i think it's kinda cute that there's still a 2006 D&D conservative guy roaming the forums, like an endangered wild cat, convinced that all the economy's problems can be traced to the introduction of child labor laws or something

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i think after a certain point you have to let it go although julie dicaro joining a boys' club with a documented history of treating women poorly doesn't really scream "blow for feminism" but then again if you're judging every decision made in a capitalist society weighed against an abstract ethical code then nothing anyone does will ever make you happy

it's probably a good hire for them and i won't begrudge anyone working for a lovely inconsequential company to make a living but i probably won't listen to any of her podcasts (just because they'll probably have the new deadspin writers on them and those guys all suck at their job)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

everything i've seen from that site seems like it was written by a bunch of 1990s leather jacket comedians

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Troy Queef posted:

scabs aren't good people

She's not a scab dummy. There is no labour dispute she's helping to sabotage, she's not crossing anyone's picket line. Why is your solidarity more concerned with the sanctity of a brand name than the material conditions of worker's lives?

MourningView posted:

Oh well if going on strike breaks a contract than I guess they had no choice.

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 16, 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

it's not traditional scabbing (breaking a picket line) but considering how Deadspin died, with the entire staff walking out en masse in solidarity, it's not a good look.

and then you look at what Vichy Deadspin has been actually publishing and, uh, yikes. "Leather jacket comedians" is a really good way to put it. It's almost like Barstool wearing a Deadspin skin suit.

also a bunch of other Gizmodo Media staffers have left (from Jalopnik and Kotaku coming directly to mind) and specifically pointed to the Deadspin issue as a reason why they wanted to move on.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

harperdc posted:

it's not traditional scabbing (breaking a picket line) but considering how Deadspin died, with the entire staff walking out en masse in solidarity, it's not a good look.

and then you look at what Vichy Deadspin has been actually publishing and, uh, yikes. "Leather jacket comedians" is a really good way to put it. It's almost like Barstool wearing a Deadspin skin suit.

also a bunch of other Gizmodo Media staffers have left (from Jalopnik and Kotaku coming directly to mind) and specifically pointed to the Deadspin issue as a reason why they wanted to move on.

Most of the Kotaku and Jalopnik people didn't leave until they managed to find other better jobs.

I'm not saying I endorse their content. I'm just saying I don't begrudge someone from taking a full time union position as a writer in a time and landscape where those are extremely rare.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dexo posted:

I'm not saying I endorse their content. I'm just saying I don't begrudge someone from taking a full time union position as a writer in a time and landscape where those are extremely rare.

are the new positions joining into the same union as Deadspin Classic had? I'm not sure, which was part of the issue.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Didn't Deadspins writers and editors like, explicitly say not to heap garbage on the new writers and they all understand the position? It's not being a scab if someone says "This company is garbage but I wish you the best of luck if you want it".

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

harperdc posted:

are the new positions joining into the same union as Deadspin Classic had? I'm not sure, which was part of the issue.

That's what the new writers said, and the union never disputed it.

DiCaro has taken a lot of principled stands, it's really disappointing to see her join a company that's being sued for sex discrimination. The article that started things is pretty clear about the environment Spanfeller created.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The X-man cometh posted:

it's really disappointing to see her join a company that's being sued for sex discrimination.

Be really careful about blaming women for taking work from a company that is under scrutiny. You're shifting blame onto the victims (in this case, secondary). People shouldn't have to pass up a job they want because of the actions of garbage people.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Sure, but most of them haven't been as good about moral issues as DiCaro.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Such is the state of media that being employed in the field frequently means being employed by a lovely person. Jason Schreier took a lot of flak when he announced he was going to Bloomberg News after poo poo-talking the G/O brass on his way out the door, and it was kind of a lousy thing to be doing to a guy who wants his baby daughter to have health insurance.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

The X-man cometh posted:

DiCaro has taken a lot of principled stands, it's really disappointing to see her join a company that's being sued for sex discrimination. The article that started things is pretty clear about the environment Spanfeller created.

Not it's not, and you're dumb to think it is. The proper reaction to corporate discrimination is not for people of good will to refuse to work for that company entirely. Because then the company is full of people who think sex discrimination is ok.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, the people here calling folks like diCaro scabs and then also blaming her for the lovely issues G/O Media has with sex discrimination... Christ.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Patrick Spens posted:

Not it's not, and you're dumb to think it is. The proper reaction to corporate discrimination is not for people of good will to refuse to work for that company entirely. Because then the company is full of people who think sex discrimination is ok.

Also, basically all companies think discrimination is okay, and people of good will still need to eat.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
In the predictable-but-still-sad pile:

https://twitter.com/BrianMFloyd/status/1262391353092321283?s=20

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
e: wrong thread

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Can someone explain the headline in this photo to me, what are they going for here

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1262503274814615554?s=20

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

morestuff posted:

Can someone explain the headline in this photo to me, what are they going for here

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1262503274814615554?s=20

dirty harry

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

oh

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I get the strained Dirty Harry reference, but what is “CRUMBS”?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

what the bulls called him

because he was fat

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

They should’ve titled it “Abused Krause: Why Jordan’s Bulls Were Wrong to Harry Jerry”

*edited after workshopping

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 18, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I mean Krause is just the symptom of the actual problem of Jerry Reinsdorf.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I just googled Dirty Jerry and oooh boy the first result was the urban dictionary.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Sour Krause

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

General Dog posted:

C. Everett Koop posted:

As mean as Jordan was to Sellers, he was ten times that to Krause. In public, he would take potshots at Krause, with little snippets to the media here and there. In private, it was significantly worse. It was reported that Jordan called Krause "crumbs," after seeing Krause with powered donut on his face. The reality is, of course, far worse.

The old Chicago Stadium didn't have the on-site training facilities that today's modern arenas have, so the Bulls had to train in a separate gym. Nutrition wasn't as thought of back then, so a spread would consist of breakfast carbs and pastries. One day, Krause was enjoying a donut from the spread when Michael saw him taking from the player's food. Incensed, Jordan tried to forcefeed the entire box of donuts down Krause's throat, calling him "crumbs" among every other profane name in the book.

from a phenomenal MJ thread many moons ago--you decide whether or not you think it's true

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 19, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hunnert car pileup posted:

from a phenomenal MJ thread many moons ago

That thread was so loving great

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oakley is apparently actually the person who came up with the nickname

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

It's one of my favorite Poe's Law barometers on the internet, even if I'd love those Koop stories to be true.

I'm not even a huge basketball fan and "Contrasting to Michael's "Me first" style the Pistons played the game the right way" still makes me snort laugh.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
"Shoot it you loving midget"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

"Shoot it you loving midget"

i don't care what anyone says, we get to pick our own facts in 2020 and Shoot It You loving Midget is real to me, dammit

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

just think in 20 years you’ll get to regale children with tales of how draymond green hosed up his jumper by playing with kevin hart

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I believe SIYFM is real and it’s just the context that was exaggerated. People have probably said that to Muggsy Bogues his whole life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I thought about that thread watching episode 8 last night when he was talking about how hard he worked "rebuilding his body" while he was filming Space Jam.

edit: I had no idea that thread was 7 years ago already

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 19, 2020