Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

space marine todd posted:

The Dell XPS 17 looks incredible, but I personally hate the Dell branding on the front and more importantly, there is no high variable refresh rate option, which at this point is unacceptable if you play games imo.

I guess, but it's not a gaming laptop. Dell has been very explicit with aiming the XPS 15 and now the new XPS 17 at business professionals and enthusiasts who want a high-end laptop that can play games if so desired as an option vs. a legit gaming laptop with a high refresh rate display and thermals designed to play games like their Alienware line. The base model XPS 15 doesn't even have discrete graphics. You're looking in the wrong market segment.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I am generally against 17" laptops but if it fits inside the footprint of a "traditional" (2012?) 15" laptop then I guess that's ok

Also with the slightly larger chassis with the same components otherwise, you ought to have more thermal mass and/or cooling capacity so physics is going to agree with you more

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's also important to note that the 17" gets the vapor chamber cooling while the 15" does not.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
Can anyone recommend a max 400 euro laptop for everyday use? I think bluetooth and hdmi and/or vga ports would be nice. Also webcam optional. would like it for travel, storing pics, reading/studying big pdfs and docs and watching shows. Refurbished is fine! I live in western europe so newegg isn't very useful but not sure the best places to buy; I know tweakers.net is alright.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I guess, but it's not a gaming laptop. Dell has been very explicit with aiming the XPS 15 and now the new XPS 17 at business professionals and enthusiasts who want a high-end laptop that can play games if so desired as an option vs. a legit gaming laptop with a high refresh rate display and thermals designed to play games like their Alienware line. The base model XPS 15 doesn't even have discrete graphics. You're looking in the wrong market segment.

Yeah, I'm aware it's a different market segment but my hope is that high variable refresh rate displays eventually crossover from gaming laptops, especially since variable refresh rate displays make the most difference when framerates drop below the screen's normal refresh rate (which is most likely to happen with the lower power cards seen in these laptops). This is what we have seen in the last year with non-gaming smartphones after all.

Maybe next year!

space marine todd fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 13, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For that to happen, manufacturers would have to give up market stratification between gaming devices and non-gaming devices.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

bull3964 posted:

For that to happen, manufacturers would have to give up market stratification between gaming devices and non-gaming devices.

There's still significant stratification due to lower battery life expectations and thermal constraints of the RTX 2070 and RTX 2080 (along with garish RGB lighting and other gamer bullshit).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yeah the XPS line was always a more all in one type "creator" laptop than a dedicated gaming laptop, especially when you look at the thermal issues and lower refresh rate LCD.

The improvement in discrete GPUs certainly has at least blurred the lines in many ways since many business targeted laptops like the X1 Extreme are also somewhat decent in gaming due to including 1050/1650 level graphics.

I will be very interested in seeing the reviews for the revamped XPS 15/17 since the product line has had not many major redesigns since the basic design was introduced many years ago.

David Lee has a initial impression video up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyRUWM_LOPQ

etalian fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 13, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's also the issue of how many different SKUs manufacturers are going to do for a single product.

The XPS15 (outgoing) already has the following display options

LCD 1080p non-touch
OLED 4k non-touch
LCD 4k touch

So, adding in a more gaming oriented display means another sku. Plus, going through the engineering effort for VRR for 1/4th of your SKUs.

Ah, but why don't you just eliminate one of the other options then?

Well, fast displays, thus far, haven't been as color accurate as the displays that dell is using. So, which one do you eliminate? The LCD 4k panel is the most accurate one out there. The OLED panel has the most buz. The base 1080p panel is best for battery life plus it's the budget option. A high refresh rate panel can't really replace any of the other panels for the market segment.

Dell is actually dropping down to just two display SKUs initally with the new XPS 15 (I suspect they don't have a 16:10 OLED panel.) Which, that brings to another issue, I don't know of any high refresh rate 16:10 displays right now.

So, we are going to need high refresh displays that can hit both brightness targets and color gamut targets of the current displays in use for these creator laptops to make them an option.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

bull3964 posted:

There's also the issue of how many different SKUs manufacturers are going to do for a single product.

The XPS15 (outgoing) already has the following display options

LCD 1080p non-touch
OLED 4k non-touch
LCD 4k touch

So, adding in a more gaming oriented display means another sku. Plus, going through the engineering effort for VRR for 1/4th of your SKUs.

Ah, but why don't you just eliminate one of the other options then?

Well, fast displays, thus far, haven't been as color accurate as the displays that dell is using. So, which one do you eliminate? The LCD 4k panel is the most accurate one out there. The OLED panel has the most buz. The base 1080p panel is best for battery life plus it's the budget option. A high refresh rate panel can't really replace any of the other panels for the market segment.

Dell is actually dropping down to just two display SKUs initally with the new XPS 15 (I suspect they don't have a 16:10 OLED panel.) Which, that brings to another issue, I don't know of any high refresh rate 16:10 displays right now.

So, we are going to need high refresh displays that can hit both brightness targets and color gamut targets of the current displays in use for these creator laptops to make them an option.

That's a really great point on SKU load! Thanks for going into detail.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

Lol they made a 17" laptop without real pg up/down keys

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Yeah, that's totally fair! Different use cases for different people. I will be super interested in the actual battery life of both the new XPS 15 and 17 regardless.

Also, the MacBook 12 is a pretty great impromptu temporary mousepad:

Tim Apple just got a shiver down his spine like someone walking on his grave and he doesn't know why.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Tim Apple just got a shiver down his spine like someone walking on his grave and he doesn't know why.

Maybe Tim Apple shouldn't have killed my favorite MacBook!!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Maybe Tim Apple shouldn't have killed my favorite MacBook!!

:chloe:

The 12" Macbook is cool but it has a... butterfly keyboard.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

I am generally against 17" laptops but if it fits inside the footprint of a "traditional" (2012?) 15" laptop then I guess that's ok

Me too. I'm still debating my MAX-17 order even though it's somewhat compact for a 17". That XPS 17 is loving tiny though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Blowdryer posted:

Can anyone recommend a max 400 euro laptop for everyday use? I think bluetooth and hdmi and/or vga ports would be nice. Also webcam optional. would like it for travel, storing pics, reading/studying big pdfs and docs and watching shows. Refurbished is fine! I live in western europe so newegg isn't very useful but not sure the best places to buy; I know tweakers.net is alright.

Have you considered a Chromebook?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

:chloe:

The 12" Macbook is cool but it has a... butterfly keyboard.

Yeah and it should have been updated with the good keyboard. I just love the form factor.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Yeah and it should have been updated with the good keyboard. I just love the form factor.

Not denying that. I was tempted to pick up a 12" Macbook several times back when it was still a thing, but the horrid keyboard kept holding me back.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol they made a 17" laptop without real pg up/down keys

yeah, wth.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
My Dell XPS 13 from 2018 just spazzed out with a "hard drive not installed" screen. It rebooted okay but I think this means the SSD might be about to die, and this is not really a laptop that's easy for a user to service (and I'm out of the warranty period). Is there anything to do other than just purchase another laptop and hopeully get my files backed up / moved over before the drive totally fails?

... If I want another light small windows laptop, and am a little leery of Dell right now, is there a standard suggestion? I don't need a dedicated graphics card but I do need a fully functional laptop becuase I do still play games.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

9370? It's just like 8 screws to pop the bottom off and the SSD is right there. It's super easy to work on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If it’s anything like my Dell G3, it’s not even the drive- the ribbon cable connecting the drive probably just came dislodged from the connector. I had the exact same error a few times.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Other than needing a torx screw you won't find an easier to service component. And at least on the..9360/70 etc you can be confident you won't torque the chassis into disrepair.

I get that it's kind of spooky to open up a machine like that if you don't know though. They're expensive and really solidly built so it seems easy to gently caress up.

Tbh you're more likely to drop it flipping it upside down than do damage trying to reasonably service the ssd in it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it shouldn't be a problem to get it out. But if you can, try to back it up first, before doing anything else. The SSD in my tablet was failing too but I managed to make a functioning clone and that not only ensured that I still have all my poo poo, it also saved a lot of time reinstalling and configuring everything again.

Dell should be safe to get by all accounts but I'd just get a new SSD if you're happy with it otherwise. There hasn't been (yet) a massive improvement.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’d say “check the cable before you order anything” but actually, may as well order a new SSD and of the one in there is fine you can stick one or the other in an enclosure and have a nice external.

This may be why I have a half dozen external drives in my apartment.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't think the G3 comparison is apt because (as far as I can tell) the G3 uses a standard 2.5mm drive which would have a ribbon cable. The XPS13 uses an NVME drive which has an M.2 connector directly into the mainboard and the drive would be secured by a screw. It's unlikely it would have worked lose in any way (unless solder joints are failing on the connector to the motherboard.)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 15, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah it shouldn't be a problem to get it out. But if you can, try to back it up first, before doing anything else. The SSD in my tablet was failing too but I managed to make a functioning clone and that not only ensured that I still have all my poo poo, it also saved a lot of time reinstalling and configuring everything again.

Monthly reminder that Ninite works just fine and will bootstrap most any windows laptop quite well

https://www.ninite.com

it's free

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

etalian posted:

Yes okay that’s nice but WHEN IS IT GOING ON SALE!? Dell doesn’t have the new XPS 17 up on their website yet.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

We need more 16:10

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

We need more 16:10

that would be a welcome change

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

Yes okay that’s nice but WHEN IS IT GOING ON SALE!? Dell doesn’t have the new XPS 17 up on their website yet.

Rumor mill says it will be a summer launch, probably in the middle of June.

Dell did update the website this week for configs and price for the new XPS 15.

Also looks like Lenova updated their website to include specs and pricing for the new 7i revamped series

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-7-series/Lenovo-Legion-7/p/88GMY701410

Looks like the base config starts around $1300 with any upgrades.

Going with 2.6 GHZ 10th gen process, 1 TB SSD, 16GB RAM 2060 RTX and HDR Display upgrade is $1850

etalian fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 16, 2020

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I'm sure this has been answered a thousand times in this thread but I am going back to school this year and am looking for a modest (probably no more than $400, less would be nice) laptop for distance learning and paper writing etc. I already have a PC and I won't be playing games on my laptop. Ideally, it would have a webcam for online classes. Chromebooks seem like a good option for this? I've had good luck with Asus/Acer hardware in the past and they look pretty nice. Will I be missing windows greatly? I might take some computer science classes so that may factor into my decision as well.

Thanks!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

etalian posted:

Rumor mill says it will be a summer launch, probably in the middle of June.

well gently caress

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Eluktronics/status/1261453971018915840?s=20

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well... gently caress. Cup runith over.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

So I guess this is kind of laptop "adjacent" as it's more of a handheld toy, but the GPD Win Max is coming pretty soon. For those that don't know what it is, it's an 8" handheld clamshell mini-laptop with a built-in controller. The main purpose is definitely gaming on the go, but it is powerful enough to use as an 'ultrabook' - you could dock it and hook it up to a monitor.

Anyway, the Max has got an Ice Lake 1035G7 with a 25w out of the box TDP, 16GB 3733mhz ram, an 800p 16:10 screen, and it'll run you almost 800 bucks.

Not cheap. I'm gonna be horrible with my money and buy it. As an owner of the GPD Win 2, I didn't regret buying that and used it everyday for almost 2 years, beating several games on it. Good times. I know there are a couple regulars in this thread who have the Win 2 as well. Divinity OS2 is going to be amazing on the train.

There's a full review of the new Max here by The Phawx who does good testing on these handhelds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHBxJXFWl7Y

If you're into these handheld PCs, another couple to look out for in the near future should be the Alienware UFO concept that was shown off at CES, and the One Netbook OneGX (a small Chinese company like GPD with a mini 360-hinge laptop).

Probably late 2021 will see the GPD Win 3, which should return to a smaller form factor, so I assume due to TDP limitations won't outperform the Win Max unless Tiger Lake iGPUs are the bee's knees.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 16, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yes, but when can I get one with an AMD chip in it. :hmm:

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yes, but when can I get one with an AMD chip in it. :hmm:

The Max was originally slated to have the AMD v1605b chip, but apparently GPD had trouble with that - I suspect it was just harder to order such small quantities of that AMD chip compared to sourcing comparable quantities of Intel chips which GPD obviously has experience doing with their previous handhelds.

No idea how the v1605b compares iGPU-wise to the new ice lake chips, but considering this thing runs at 25w with cooling headroom to spare up to 30w, and that the 4800HS in the Asus G14 seems to respect it's 35w limit (unlike Intel's "45w" mobile chips)... it is definitely interesting to think about. Probably unrealistic thermally, though. What about the AMD u-series CPUS? Another interesting thought.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao the lead time for the new Legion series is 5+ weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I literally opened this thread with a MAG-15 in my cart just to check and see if there was any talk of something in the same ballpark with a Ryzen 4000 chip. Welp, guess I'm waiting on reviews of the RP-15.

I really wish someone would pair a 4900H or HS with a 2070 or 2080 though.