Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Watch me milk the first boss for all its worth on hard mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsbGVF-t6Ms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I finished a full watch-through now. Since I had a Chinese speaker handy, I was lucky enough to experience it without the English translation and voice acting. It was a lot of fun.

I'd post about the ending in the spoiler thread but that crowd seem to take this game way more seriously than us, so I'll just ponder things in here instead. I'll tag it and try to leave out any specifics in case anyone mouseovers.

My stepbrother showed me FF7 as a kid and now we reconnected to enjoy Part 1. He says he has high hopes for part 2 "as long as it doesn't turn into Kingdom Hearts, same director. Here's hoping"

I've never played Kingdom Hearts, and thoroughly don't get it, but I still can see a lot of signs this project is heading in that direction. Square went for a more child friendly "Teen" ESRB rating, as if preparing for a more Kingdom Hearts audience. To do so they removed all the blood from Jenova's original escape sequence, which is now Nickelodeon ooze. Certain original Honeybee Inn content (like the funniest room) and shots of soldier carnage are not shown. Besides the ESRB choices, they added an annoying science kid who looks so straight out of KH that we're really only missing Donald Duck!

And that ending is so clearly intentionally designed to give Nomura the excuse he needs to move that direction, don't you think?

As soon as Nomura had the freedom to end the game in a new way, he went with what I assume to be KH style nonsense. The whole last hour kind of went mad not just in terms of storytelling, but in characters breaking the fourth wall by magically explaining the worldbuilding details and script interpretations they shouldn't know about.

The execs really did just throw in whatever they wanted for the last hour or so, eh? I'd love to have been a fly on the wall during that meeting. They finally decided on an ending that's specifically designed to release them to do whatever they want with the franchise now. Soon enough EVERYONE will be wearing a Rufus belt-dress, and have one wing for no reason. I'm sure THAT wasn't the goal, though it will be a silly side effect -- the real goal was probably to just free the company Square Enix from any obligations to remake such a long game in maximum detail. It was a purely financial consideration. They can't afford to do the "whole" remake in this economy.

Here's my new interpretation of that ending now that I've seen it and had some time to process it: How about if it's another breaking of the fourth wall. The "Fate" ghosts represent the Square Enix developer and artist team -- all the employees and staff, embodied as in-game monsters. Specifically, the ghosts represent the team's collective intentions to make the remake faithful and reverent to the original. Whenever the project gets off track, the ghosts lovingly correct course, for the fans. Finally, the game forces you to crush all their dreams by fighting them. Each ghost you destroy causes another writer's decisions to be overruled, and perhaps another artist to be laid off without severance pay. At last, the player wins (they're forced to win) -- and with that, the dreams of Part 2 continuing in a way that respects and understands the original are crushed, and Nomura is now free. No longer bound to the rules of Fate or FF7's plot, he may make another series into his Kingdom Hearts. The corporation (Square-Enix) wins at the cost of everything, which is what the true spirit of FF7 was all about! :haw:

I just want to revisit how loving dumb this take is in light of the ultimania guide basically stating that it was exactly the loving opposite - Nomura ended up being the one who was restraining things.

Agents are GO! posted:

Could somebody repost the ultimania bit where it talks about how Nomura had to tone back what the staffers wanted to do with the ending? Need it for ownage purposes.

Onmi posted:

Sure.

https://aitaikimochi.tumblr.com/post/616804865416527872

quote:

—In regards to the story’s important key points, there must be a flashback scene from here on out, right?

Nomura: At first, the direction we took was that we did not want to put any of these hints while still in Midgar.

Nojima: Right, we originally planned to have the storyline diverge only slightly.

Nomura: We thought to have only a subtle change where in the ending you see Biggs alive, which makes you think, “Wait, this is weird…” and gives a slight sense of unease. But then the staff thought, well if there’s room for more scenes, then let’s just add it (laughs). When we did that, there were scenes that we had to say, “No this won’t do,” and removed it from the story. We didn’t add too many new things, but we did leave a few scenes in.

Nojima: I myself added about two or three scenarios to that too….I’m not too sure what happened to those scenarios at the end. (laughs)

loooooooooooool

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

don’t post in gbs

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

don’t post in gbs

poo poo I hosed up.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Might as well kept going on hard mode and decided to mark this as my next stop in hard bosses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOE0V7V50Q8

Enjoy Roche. hahaahha WHOOOO HOOOOOO!

Took me three attempts

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Holy poo poo, Nomura was the voice of restraint? What a world.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Just because Nomura wasn't the most insane person on the team doesn't mean he didn't contribute to the insanity

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Katamari Democracy posted:

Might as well kept going on hard mode and decided to mark this as my next stop in hard bosses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOE0V7V50Q8

Enjoy Roche. hahaahha WHOOOO HOOOOOO!

Took me three attempts

I love Roche a lot here because his bike basically just physics glitches out and they roll with it. Why not?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

jokes posted:

I love Roche a lot here because his bike basically just physics glitches out and they roll with it. Why not?

Roche is so loving over the top and totally what FF7 should be

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Roche better be in part 2 or i'll be pissed

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Roche vanishing completely after that battle is a bummer. I expected him to show up again during the escape from Midgar. Finished my run last night and had about 50 hours clocked. The entire Shinra building was amazing.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I want Roche to be your rival on every minigame. Snowboarding? Racing Roche. Submarine battle? Roche is piloting the other sub. Chocobo racing? Roche is there, riding a chocobo identically to how he rides a motorcycle. Chocobo breeding? Roche is taking up a stall, humping his motorcycle.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Sephiroth kills Roche in the city of the ancients

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Stabs him with a motorcycle.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

Stabs him with a motorcycle.

Missed opportunity to bring back the ghost train with Roche as a conductor with motorcycle physics

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

in part 2 during the Cid rocketship launch, Roche tries to gently caress poo poo up while riding his own mini rocket and you end up having to take him on in a space suit in zero g

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

I want Roche to be your rival on every minigame. Snowboarding? Racing Roche. Submarine battle? Roche is piloting the other sub. Chocobo racing? Roche is there, riding a chocobo identically to how he rides a motorcycle. Chocobo breeding? Roche is taking up a stall, humping his motorcycle.

Roche casually riding his motorbike up Gaea's Cliff

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Roche smoking a J at the bottom of the crater, just chilling, he just hangs out there sometimes.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Roche, draped in silks and velvets, clutching a rose in his teeth, beckoning. But still on a motorcycle. His mullet luffs sensually in the wind generated by the sweet rubbing of his thighs. But also under a waterfall.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Is there any reason at all for the rest of the party to be there once you get all of the ATB boosting materia/related combat materia and put them all on Tifa?

She's basically shredding everything the party runs into now.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

Roche casually riding his motorbike up Gaea's Cliff

roche riding his motorcycle down the slopes with a snowboard attached to each wheel

cailleask
May 6, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Is there any reason at all for the rest of the party to be there once you get all of the ATB boosting materia/related combat materia and put them all on Tifa?

She's basically shredding everything the party runs into now.

One person with auto-cure to be a healbot? And one person with auto-tank to be a tankbot? Otherwise lol no.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Roche riding a chocobo: hahahahahahahahhahaha WHOOO HOOOOOO

Roche riding a submarine: hahahahahahahahahahah WHOOO HOOOOOO

Roche riding a Moogle suit: hahahahahahahahahahah WHOOO HOOOOOO

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

jokes posted:

Roche's bike moves like it's a toy bike that a three year old is playing with while making VROOM sounds.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Every bit of physics in the game starts making sense if every human character in this world is actually the size of an ant. An ant can lift 50 times its own weight, I'm sure it could chuck a motorcycle all around the room in impressive ways while simultaneously riding it and jumping high in the air with it.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 13, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Maybe it's not just scale, either; I doubt ant skin would be very affected by tiny bullets coming out of an ant-gun. Ants can easily take the abuse we see the players take in terms of falls / slashes / explosions.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Ultra twist at the beginning of part 2: Midgar is just a small mushroom in the backyard of a suburban home in modern day America

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This is all actually a sequel to Hollow Knight.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

I think the OP is right to highlight the heroes' chitinous resilience in the face of their kafka-esque struggle against the cosmic finality of this fANTasy.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

I think the OP is right to highlight the heroes' chitinous resilience in the face of their kafka-esque struggle against the cosmic finality of this fANTasy.

i want to track you down but i don't know whether it's to applaud you or throw eggs at you

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Does this mean it's okay to talk about the gamergate response to Tifa's costume changes?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Only in a snide mocking tone.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Play this video:

https://www.weibo.com/tv/v/J1GHjcmUL?fid=1034:4504024117084176

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I couldn't get the player to embed, click the link though

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That would've been funnier if they'd played it completely straight, and made it the black materia.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Not that kind of forum I'm afraid (it's horny fandom people)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I finished the game and was really happy with the experience overall. I thought the ending was kinda dragging, but that happens to me with most games. Once you get to Hojo's lab the game is non-stop action, and you don't really get any breathers.

I was pissed off that I couldn't get Barrett's EKG Cannon since I had spoken to the contact before talking to Hart again. Don't do what I did, as soon as you speak with the man inside, speak with Hart again and buy the weapon!!

Also I had one bug the entire game. It was in the air ducts when you're spying on the president. I would view the other vents on the way to the president and get stuck there. I had to restart from the last checkpoint, which meant I had to redo all of the combat trials in the Shinra tower. That sucked, but the combat towards the end of the game is fun at least, except for the last couple boss battles which I felt were much more floaty and spammy than previous bosses. It reminded me of FF15, and my main complaint about that game was how every time you got hit you got knocked down as well.

Overall I loved it. I'm excited for the next one, but glad I get a chance to wait for the experience.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

I finished the game and was really happy with the experience overall. I thought the ending was kinda dragging, but that happens to me with most games. Once you get to Hojo's lab the game is non-stop action, and you don't really get any breathers.

I was pissed off that I couldn't get Barrett's EKG Cannon since I had spoken to the contact before talking to Hart again. Don't do what I did, as soon as you speak with the man inside, speak with Hart again and buy the weapon!!

Also I had one bug the entire game. It was in the air ducts when you're spying on the president. I would view the other vents on the way to the president and get stuck there. I had to restart from the last checkpoint, which meant I had to redo all of the combat trials in the Shinra tower. That sucked, but the combat towards the end of the game is fun at least, except for the last couple boss battles which I felt were much more floaty and spammy than previous bosses. It reminded me of FF15, and my main complaint about that game was how every time you got hit you got knocked down as well.

Overall I loved it. I'm excited for the next one, but glad I get a chance to wait for the experience.

I had the same bug you did. I just skipped looking at all the floor panels to get around it lol

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Successfully landing a stagger when your entire party has full atb and Tifa is at full Unbridled Strength stacks is one of the most satisfying feelings in all of gaming imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

my favourite part of the game is Cloud's reaction to Tifa seeing him in a dress. One of the funniest moments i've seen in a game honestly, perfectly delivered line.