Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
I use a brick separator to open beer bottles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My daughter's favorite game is when I cover a baseplate in a bunch of plates and give her the separator

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

ExParrot posted:

I use a brick separator to open beer bottles

Genius!

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
So 2 nearby Lego stores had the bookshop come in according to Legos site. Called the one to buy it and asked if she had tree house and she said the other store found one in the back. Called that store and now picking up both tomorrow. Yay

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Captain Duvel posted:

So 2 nearby Lego stores had the bookshop come in according to Legos site. Called the one to buy it and asked if she had tree house and she said the other store found one in the back. Called that store and now picking up both tomorrow. Yay

Ah, drat it. Missed out on the tree house. I was really tempted to buy it back around black friday, but couldn't justify it since I bought a new TV. Now I have some money coming in at the end of the month, and I was thinking of getting the tree house.

Guess I'll be buying the ideas pirate set instead.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve been enjoying the tree house so much and still haven’t finished.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
New theme: Monkey Kid

Doesn't look bad, but looks a little too much like Ninjago for me

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Not a fan, would have preferred a more traditional version of Journey to the West but maybe it's for the best since I don't need to collect anymore god drat it.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
That monkey king mech looks nice, I love the colors in it. I’m surprised there’s not a cheap set in it though, they’re all kinda pricey.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve been enjoying the tree house so much and still haven’t finished.

Yeah, I'm really kind of bummed out, it's beautiful. Oh well, I've accepted a long time ago that I'll never be able to buy every set I really want and I'll have to make (hard) choices. Even if I miss out on the pirate set there'll be plenty of other great sets in the future.

The only two that were really must haves for me were Wall-E, and the older Haunted House. Didn't get the Haunted House and no way I'm paying 400 euros for it, which seems to be the going rate, no matter how much I want one. I did buy Wall-E with my first big pay check, though, for more than twice the original price. Don't regret that one bit.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Taeke posted:

Ah, drat it. Missed out on the tree house. I was really tempted to buy it back around black friday, but couldn't justify it since I bought a new TV. Now I have some money coming in at the end of the month, and I was thinking of getting the tree house.

Guess I'll be buying the ideas pirate set instead.

Don't feel bad. You are settling for the better set.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Am I missing something? It's not out of production, just temporarily out of stock

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Some people don't like waiting. :shrug:

My buildable Minions just arrived. As did the gwp mother's day card, little late there Lego.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Has anyone ever used Brick Bracket? Its a site that sells wall mounts (like for the UCS Batmobile 89). However, they literally don't even show pictures of their product. Not that I imagine it's that exciting to see... but I like to know what I'm buying.

https://brickbracket.co

Also it's in Australia so maybe gently caress that... any other sites doing wall mounts for Lego Batmo?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Taeke posted:

Yeah, I'm really kind of bummed out, it's beautiful. Oh well, I've accepted a long time ago that I'll never be able to buy every set I really want and I'll have to make (hard) choices. Even if I miss out on the pirate set there'll be plenty of other great sets in the future.

The only two that were really must haves for me were Wall-E, and the older Haunted House. Didn't get the Haunted House and no way I'm paying 400 euros for it, which seems to be the going rate, no matter how much I want one. I did buy Wall-E with my first big pay check, though, for more than twice the original price. Don't regret that one bit.

Yeah, I missed out on the Haunted House as well, and would love it to own. It's very curious it's completely disappeared from the Chinese KO offerings too.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

Am I missing something? It's not out of production, just temporarily out of stock

Doesn't say temporarily here in the Netherlands (which it does say for the pirate set). Maybe I'll splurge and get both.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just watched back to the future again and now I really want Lego to do a version of the Delorean that doesn't look like total poo poo and doesn't cost $150 on the aftermarket.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Has anyone else noticed how poor the new CMF packaging is? They are hard to open.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Taeke posted:

Doesn't say temporarily here in the Netherlands (which it does say for the pirate set). Maybe I'll splurge and get both.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

veni veni veni posted:

Just watched back to the future again and now I really want Lego to do a version of the Delorean that doesn't look like total poo poo and doesn't cost $150 on the aftermarket.

That's never going to happen so you're better off just looking up a moc and buying the instructions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why not? They still have the license afaik, or at least they did when Dimensions came out. Most of the MOCs don't even look great because Lego has never made a windscreen that even remotely works for a Delorean.

I'll just make my own if they ever release a speed champions set or something that has a windscreen I can actually use to make a decent looking Delorean, but I'm not gonna bother with the current available offerings.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Ah, cool, thanks. Hope it'll get back then. The pirate set is on backorder, but I reserved a copy.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

They haven't mentioned it retiring soon and it would say something to that effect on the site if it was gonna be gone. You'll be fine! The pirate ship can tide you over.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

If I'm purchasing Lego via an Instagram account, paying with PayPal and I use the buyer protection option, will that cover me if the product never arrives? Someone on their is offering me a retired set at a decent price, but because it's not a marketplace I'm a bit wary.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

PriorMarcus posted:

If I'm purchasing Lego via an Instagram account, paying with PayPal and I use the buyer protection option, will that cover me if the product never arrives? Someone on their is offering me a retired set at a decent price, but because it's not a marketplace I'm a bit wary.

Paypal is usually okay for things. Just make sure all relevant info if in the transction details. The seller will have to provide tracking.

The biggest possible problem is if they send you something you aren't happy with but have proof of tracking. On ebay you can return no questions asked for the most part. Outside of that you lose some of your protection.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kind of looks like the UCS Falcon is going to go out of production soon imo. Like, it's just a guess but it's been listed as out of stock/hard to find for a long time now and it seems hard to scrape up at MSRP. Seems like that happens with a lot of sets before they disappear if they sell out before they have a chance to get the "retiring soon" tag on the site.

Kind of surprised, because I figured it would be a mainstay for years like the Death Star. Of course I could also be totally wrong and it could just be in a production lul because of COVID or some other reason. But it looks to be in the same state as a lot of UCS sets I've bought at the end of their production run.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Stonewars has an article (in German) about how the virus has affected Lego's supply chains and expected retirement dates for sets.

Haven't seen a proper English version but here's the Google translate.

(From Google translate)

quote:

LEGO: In the past few months we have seen a strong demand for our products as families and children turn to building to get through this difficult time. As a result, we have worked incredibly hard to ensure that our products are available online in our stores and on our retail partners' e-commerce websites.

We were lucky that our factories in Europe and Asia continued to operate. Our Mexico factory was temporarily shut down after the Mexican government ordered the closure of all non-essential manufacturing facilities while the country focused on preventing the virus from spreading. We have used our entire global supply chain to ship products to all markets and fulfill orders as best we can.

Although COVID-19 has created a very dynamic and uncertain environment, it has so far not affected decisions about when products will retire.

quote:

However, the pandemic is not affecting the planned market exit date for products. And other sources were also able to confirm that none of the currently available exclusives should be removed from the range by the half year. Both Hogwarts and Disney Castle should be available at least until the end of the year.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wouldn't be surprised if $800!??! is going out of production soon. How many people who are willing to spend $800?!?! for a set haven't bought it already?

I'm wondering when the Disney Castle will go away. It's been available for almost 5 years now. That's a pretty long time, I think.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

uXs posted:

I use 2 brick separators to lift my laptop a little bit, to give it more airflow on the bottom for cooling. Very useful.

Fuckin brilliant.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone here washed bulk buy collections? Recently picked one up that’s definitely been played with outside in the mud and looks like a bunch of it was stored wet.

I bought a bunch of fine mesh laundry bags, and my thought was to disassemble every piece, chuck it in the bags, double bag it, and run it through the washing machine with mild detergent and a warm (not hot) cycle. I’ve used laundry detergent on abs keycaps with a toothbrush and it worked great for 30 years of grime, so I think it should work with lego grime.

Does this sound about right? Would printed pieces like minifigs be ok to pop in this? Should I just handwash grimey stickered pieces? If anyone has any advice I’d appreciate it!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

OSU_Matthew posted:

Has anyone here washed bulk buy collections? Recently picked one up that’s definitely been played with outside in the mud and looks like a bunch of it was stored wet.

I bought a bunch of fine mesh laundry bags, and my thought was to disassemble every piece, chuck it in the bags, double bag it, and run it through the washing machine with mild detergent and a warm (not hot) cycle. I’ve used laundry detergent on abs keycaps with a toothbrush and it worked great for 30 years of grime, so I think it should work with lego grime.

Does this sound about right? Would printed pieces like minifigs be ok to pop in this? Should I just handwash grimey stickered pieces? If anyone has any advice I’d appreciate it!

Separate out stickers/printed pieces.

Printed pieces wash in the sink by hand in a big pot. Fill with cold water and some detergent and swish around by hand. Hold pieces under water to rinse.

Everything else can go in garment bags. Wash on cold/gentle/double rinse.

Dry on towels with a fan blowing over them gently. Every so often move them around. If you want, place them right-side up so water will drain. If you have any dessicant packs, toss them in ziplocks for final drying.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

PriorMarcus posted:

I know there are lots of Lego scammers on insta.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Waltzing Along posted:

Separate out stickers/printed pieces.

Printed pieces wash in the sink by hand in a big pot. Fill with cold water and some detergent and swish around by hand. Hold pieces under water to rinse.

Everything else can go in garment bags. Wash on cold/gentle/double rinse.

Dry on towels with a fan blowing over them gently. Every so often move them around. If you want, place them right-side up so water will drain. If you have any dessicant packs, toss them in ziplocks for final drying.

Thank you-that’s super helpful on the settings too! I’ll do exactly that :)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

OSU_Matthew posted:

I forgot to mention: take stickered pieces out and just use a paper towel to dust them. Or be careful to clean w/ water.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

OSU_Matthew posted:

take out any transparent pieces and wash them manually, if you put them in the bag with everything else they will be death by a million scratches'd

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Captain Invictus posted:

take out any transparent pieces and wash them manually, if you put them in the bag with everything else they will be death by a million scratches'd

I haven't had this happen. I wash trans pieces together in the washer. No scratches. Could be cuz they are together, or my gentle cycle. Shrug.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm honestly sort of waffling on selling Ninjago City and Docks to get the ISD at the moment. On one hand NC is like, basically the greatest Lego set ever. But even used, I'm looking at aftermarket prices and I could pretty much subsidize the whole thing with it, and NC is just sitting disassembled in my closet now. Part of me thinks I'd kick myself for selling it down the road though. And it's honestly nuts that the prices have gone up that much on those sets seeing as how they have only been OOP for like 6 months. It'll probably be ridiculously expensive in a couple of years. I dunno. really want that star destroyer though and I'm not just gonna pay 700 out of pocket for it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waltzing Along posted:

I haven't had this happen. I wash trans pieces together in the washer. No scratches. Could be cuz they are together, or my gentle cycle. Shrug.
I have a whole bunch of old transparent pieces from like, mid-80s and earlier(mostly trans-clear bricks/slopes) that are basically opaque because I put them in the wash, so it might possibly be a change in newer(last 20-25 years) transparent pieces, or it could also be my old washer was a rickety beast

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Captain Invictus posted:

I have a whole bunch of old transparent pieces from like, mid-80s and earlier(mostly trans-clear bricks/slopes) that are basically opaque because I put them in the wash, so it might possibly be a change in newer(last 20-25 years) transparent pieces, or it could also be my old washer was a rickety beast

Weird. I did a bulk on some classic space, washed all the yellow trans, they came out perfect. To the extent they look brand new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waltzing Along posted:

Weird. I did a bulk on some classic space, washed all the yellow trans, they came out perfect. To the extent they look brand new.
the trans yellow might be different from the like, 1x4 2x2 etc trans-clear bricks from the 60's/70's and such maybe? I'd take a picture of what I mean but I tossed most of the really jacked up ones.