Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Trying really hard rn to not do a bunch of bullshit busywork spending several hours writing a script to do something that will take 30 minutes to do manually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lol I've worked here for 10 months and haven't ever actually been given proper instructions or like, tasks to do

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
our release system is the most dumpster trash fire amalgamation of terraform jsonnet spinnaker kubernetes helm and jenkins all to post yaml

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
the system I wrote in my last job with 200 lines of bash was better than this

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Sagebrush posted:

prior to the existence of antidepressants and anxiolytics, everyone was just drunk all time.
see everyone used to be on depressants and now we're doing the opposite

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i roasted a chicken at 425 last night and the fat smoked a little and fuzzywife was like, "the kitchen is burning!" and lit some candles to cover the awesome scent of roast chicken wafting about lol
And thus the idea for a "roast chicken flavored candles" business was born

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Methanar posted:

lol I've worked here for 10 months and haven't ever actually been given proper instructions or like, tasks to do

Methanar posted:

our release system is the most dumpster trash fire amalgamation of terraform jsonnet spinnaker kubernetes helm and jenkins all to post yaml

I think I found some tasks for you to do.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Methanar posted:

i swear to god we are regressing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like everyone decided bash scripts were bad (they are) and then spent decades piling poo poo sky-high in an effort not just have a 200 line bash script

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
more accurately, piling poo poo sky-high in an effort to have the 200 line bash script automatically generated

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

I bought a tandoori chicken spice mix from an indian store but I couldn't get the chicken right, probably something to do with the fact that my oven does not reach 1200 degrees

are you marinating them in a yogurt mixed with the spice?

i had some luck with the broiler on our old electric oven, with the chicken pieces put onto a rack in a half sheet tray, but now we have a convection oven so i should try it again

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i might have to start churning out yaml soon

i am Not Excited About It

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

more accurately, piling poo poo sky-high in an effort to have the 200 line bash script automatically generated

yeah

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

psiox posted:

honestly confused by yaml and the fuckin brain genious who thought it was better than json or xml

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
what if markup but impossible to tell where you've missed the right whitespace for inscrutable object type

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

how to make good tandoori:

1. marinate in yoghurt+spice mix
2. part out and skewer (or cut up if you're putting it in tikka masala fter)
3. cook on high

works real nice

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
cool i guess somebody went on a yolo mission to make our spinnaker configs rendered by helm with a great step of now we copy paste the rendered output of helm into our internally built version of consul then we have a celery job that posts these configs into kubernetes configmaps then we can manually delete our halyard pod which mounts the configmaps and recreate it to then run hal deploy apply

instead of the old system of just put a config into our internally built version of consul then we have a celery job that posts these configs into kubernetes configmaps then we can manually delete our halyard pod which mounts the configmaps and recreate it to then run hal deploy apply

the main way app pipelines are created is better tho.

for those we have a git repo that for every app we copy paste a module definition that contains the app name and the helm overrides values for the app but the gimmick is that the module invoked is actually this

code:
data "external" "canary" {
  program = ["python", "${path.module}/../../../../../sponnet/generate_pipeline.py"]
}

resource "spinnaker_pipeline" "production" {
  config = "${data.external.production.result["pipeline"]}"
}
Where its a python script that invokes a metric fuckton of jsonnet to render our spinnaker pipeline definitions based on the input variables of the module invoker. then you might be wondering whats that spinnaker_pipeline resource thats not normal. oh but it is we wrote our own spinnaker provider plugin in Golang for terraform to interact with the spinnaker API.

on branch merge to this git repo a jenkins job kicks off that builds a container containing the entire repo and posts it to a docker registry and some other hilarious loophole stuff to get it over to govcloud

there is a meta pipeline in spinnaker that watches that docker registry or govcloud loophole and executes the latest container pushed to it where the terraform thing actually executes.

in summary jenkins triggers spinnaker to run terraform to run python to run jsonnet to feed json into a custom spinnaker provider for terraform for posting to spinnaker

anyway for the meta config stuff at the beginning i guess i did it wrong and now im in trouble for making changes directly to NotConsul even though this thing was totally unannounced and was only merged 2 days ago and has never actually been used but lol woops my bad

Methanar fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 15, 2020

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Methanar posted:

in summary jenkins triggers spinnaker to run terraform to run python to run jsonnet to feed json into a custom spinnaker provider for terraform to render json that is posted to spinnaker

this ... this is the face of progress.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

psiox posted:

syntactical whitespace is the eighth cardinal sin

sorry for your loss

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

rotor posted:

this ... this is the face of progress.

this is the future k8s wants

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
this is a cry for help

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

are you marinating them in a yogurt mixed with the spice?

i had some luck with the broiler on our old electric oven, with the chicken pieces put onto a rack in a half sheet tray, but now we have a convection oven so i should try it again

yeah I followed the recipe and had it right up against the broiler but couldn't get the level of toasty/burning spice flavor before it started drying out, it tasted good it just wasn't worth the effort level vs. walking 4 blocks for takeout

I did learn that marinating chicken in yogurt, especially white meat, is great

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

yeah I followed the recipe and had it right up against the broiler but couldn't get the level of toasty/burning spice flavor before it started drying out, it tasted good it just wasn't worth the effort level vs. walking 4 blocks for takeout

I did learn that marinating chicken in yogurt, especially white meat, is great

lol you could try the cleaning setting on your oven it'll get up to like 800

yeah i like to do a chicken marinade with yogurt or kefir and lemon juice and oil, with garlic, paprika, cumin, and a little cinnamon. or souvlaki-style with just oregano (and garlic/lemon/oil in the yogurt)

the problem is if you leave it in the fridge too long - after like 3 days it starts to dissolve the chicken

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Has anyone made any jokes about that one flash game where you tried to infect the world with a disease but Madagascar kept surviving the plaguecull?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Schadenboner posted:

Has anyone made any jokes about that one flash game where you tried to infect the world with a disease but Madagascar kept surviving the plaguecull?

never, not once

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

rotor posted:

honestly confused by yaml and the fuckin brain genious who thought it was better than json or xml
Somewhere we have a file that's parsed as both json and yaml by different systems and it is very important that the last dictionary item not end with a comma

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

everyone needs a kamado grill and just crank that poo poo up

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

our new r&d head is making modernizing our builds and testing a big priority so I guess this will actually make it harder for me to get a working build to test things?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

I don't think anyone has done that yet, congratulations on being the very first

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

another day working at the kubernetes factory. everyone keeps asking me if they can gently caress the pods. buddy, they won't even let me gently caress them

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
How many times do I have to explain it to you?? We use containers, so no, I can't tell you which server has the bad memory module, and in fact that's a stupid question in the first place because it's a serverless application, so we don't care which one it is, you just need to fix it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Captain Foo posted:

never, not once

Glorgnole posted:

I don't think anyone has done that yet, congratulations on being the very first

:woop:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

How many times do I have to explain it to you?? We use containers, so no, I can't tell you which server has the bad memory module, and in fact that's a stupid question in the first place because it's a serverless application, so we don't care which one it is, you just need to fix it.

what a wonderful world “J2EE Redux:This Time the Nerds Like It” is

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You need some kind of grill rack OP. If you line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a grill rack over it, you have all you need to make tandoori whatever.
this is a powerful tip

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Uptime Sinclair posted:

this is a powerful tip

except use parchment paper instead of foil

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

parchment under the broiler seems not ideal?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Something lawful posted:

Are you lot working more or less now? I've dialed it down to a 2 but some of my megacorp breatherin are working weekends and stuff. Weird. :angel:

precisely the same op

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The Fool posted:

except use parchment paper instead of foil
i realize this morning my daughter has a dairy allergy and my wife cannot handle tandoori spiciness thus I will not be in a position to act on this tip for one million years

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

prior to the existence of antidepressants and anxiolytics, everyone was just drunk all time.

people don't really default to happy and the capitalist hell world doesn't help at all. it's a constant battle to stay positive. welcome to life.

I’ve wondered this but about say Egypt or middle eastern countries where I don’t know if people were drunk all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i realize this morning my daughter has a dairy allergy and my wife cannot handle tandoori spiciness thus I will not be in a position to act on this tip for one million years

we basically don’t eat anything that isn’t spicy