Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
that ship is not allowed to sail within 100 feet of a school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lol

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Should I shell out for Lost Society's rehearsal release for their new album? It's like 9€ but their last album sucked rear end.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I blinked and it's Friday already, here's new poo poo

Runespell/Forest Mysticism split, bm
Firewind's new album is out on non-BC, pm. But be warned, their last one sucked poo poo
Lor, progressive folky power. This was a surprise drop out of nowhere, their debut is super good so I'm stoked for this
Tyrant, trad. Not fully out
Infant Island, post-metal skramz that is neighboring bm
Horn, pagan bm
Iku Turso, symphonic/meloblack
Syphilic, brutal death
Devangelic, brutal death
Grindboy Advance, chiptune grind
Froglord, stoner doom

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Nazzadan posted:

I blinked and it's Friday already, here's new poo poo

Froglord, stoner doom

Worst cover art since the 90s?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Snowy posted:

What are you talking about? This is extremely good

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Snowy posted:

Best cover art since the 90s?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Snowy posted:

That cover makes a lot of sense for a stoner doom band

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tias posted:

Should I shell out for Lost Society's rehearsal release for their new album? It's like 9€ but their last album sucked rear end.

Considering they've been sloooooowly sliding into mediocrity after Fast Loud Death, I wouldn't.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

^To add to this list, Paradise Lost's new album is out and is very solid

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2hhPntIIAU

idk what thread ACxDC belongs in, but they're incredible and just released their latest full length today.

they have a song called Back in Black Bloc which is just :vince:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Uprising's new album also came out today, and is billed as apologetically anti-fascist, anti-capitalist, anti-religion black metal. One of the songs is about the Boeing 737 MAX-8 scandal, and how the guilty parties should rot in their own guts for their greed. Good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqQPpy7eOKM

E: And the cover art obviously has pissed off peasants killing knights, kings and priests.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 15, 2020

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
If you can't get enough of the Ulcerate sound, Karmacipher from Hong Kong just put out a new album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWmCpg44OM8

For fans of Deathspell Omega, Rejoice! The Light Has Come put out their first EP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE7eoSUCS5g

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

KozmoNaut posted:

Uprising's new album also came out today, and is billed as apologetically anti-fascist, anti-capitalist, anti-religion black metal. One of the songs is about the Boeing 737 MAX-8 scandal, and how the guilty parties should rot in their own guts for their greed. Good stuff.

Yeah I was listening to this on Youtube earlier, and was very delighted when I went to bandcamp to check out the lyrics.

quote:

Judgment based on action
not on colour, race or sex
no harming of sentient beings
but respecting life
help where help is needed
No condemnation of the innocent
take responsibility for your wealth
that is built on the backs of others
Act only according to that maxim whereby you can, at the same time, will that it should become a universal law.
If you can’t understand this lesson in basic human empathy – you can gently caress off you oval office

The music is good too.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqQPpy7eOKM

E: And the cover art obviously has pissed off peasants killing knights, kings and priests.

drat I'd love this except I hate black metal :(

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

you know respecting life is nice and all but it doesn't seem very black metal.. where's the misanthropy got to?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Iceberg-Slim posted:

Speaking of which, there's a new Alestorm video that is very Alestorm-y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=749wEN2cuFA

God i love this stupid silly pirate metal band

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

stab posted:

God i love this stupid silly pirate metal band

yeah but when is Chris putting out more gloryhammer

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

silvergoose posted:

yeah but when is Chris putting out more gloryhammer
I also love that stupid silly space viking warrior wizard metal too

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

stab posted:

I also love that stupid silly space viking warrior wizard metal too

Hooray!

I'm serious, though, anyone heard *anything* since the last album dropped?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
No, but considering it's only been a year, I wouldn't really expect to have.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

A human heart posted:

you know respecting life is nice and all but it doesn't seem very black metal.. where's the misanthropy got to?

yeah its pretty lame imho

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I'm all for politically active metal and such but black metal just seems like a really weird vehicle for it. There's a few of them bow like Svalbard and Dawn Rayd but honestly it just feels like wrong energy. I want more stuff like Barney from Napalm Death explaining in a brummie accent how torture is bad

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm all for politically active metal and such but black metal just seems like a really weird vehicle for it. There's a few of them bow like Svalbard and Dawn Rayd but honestly it just feels like wrong energy. I want more stuff like Barney from Napalm Death explaining in a brummie accent how torture is bad

Nah. There’s plenty of room for politically charged black metal and it’s a scene that is so overrun with absolute real Nazis and meathead idiot fans who support them that the more the better.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

yeah its pretty lame imho

So is supporting Nazi black metal like GBK but here you are.

Piss Witch fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 16, 2020

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I don't think crip eating bread supports GBK, he just listens to them. leftist ideas are an odd fit for black metal given the mostly reactionary ideological background it has and the politics of many of the people who listen to it, it comes across as quite jarring, like if you started making power electronics about kindness. personally i'm all for protracted people's war but it would be strange to expect black metal musicians to agree with me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A human heart posted:

They channel that energy into righteous hatred of the shallowness and greed in society.

There's a clear kinship with sludge metal, more so than with the traditional 2nd wave black metal scene, really.

E: most leftist black metal takes a more folk-tinged approach, there's a connection with heathenry and appreciation of nature.

Uprising is Winterherz' more aggressive side project, his main band Waldgeflüster has a lot more folk and acoustic parts, similar to Panopticon, which also rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCvgIy1VGbw

There's a sadness and longing in that music, a deep-seated sense of loss, which is absolutely black metal. Don't neglect the frostbitten desperation to focus only on the one-trick pony of misanthropy and hate. The 2nd wave had both.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 16, 2020

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Nazzadan posted:

Infant Island, post-metal skramz that is neighboring bm

This is some good poo poo right here

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

A human heart posted:

I don't think crip eating bread supports GBK, he just listens to them. leftist ideas are an odd fit for black metal given the mostly reactionary ideological background it has and the politics of many of the people who listen to it, it comes across as quite jarring, like if you started making power electronics about kindness. personally i'm all for protracted people's war but it would be strange to expect black metal musicians to agree with me.

Paying money for GBK vinyl sure seems like supporting it.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Anti-fascist black metal bands upsetting as many fans and other bands as possible is almost the dictionary definition of misanthropy. They hate the state of the metal scene and society at large, which is exactly how the scene formed in the first place

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

That seems like the point though. Subverting a genre known for right wing ideology or nihilism. It’s not like left wingers are lacking in anger or hatred, they’re just directing it at people who deserve it as opposed to Jews corrupting the purity of the Slavic homeland or whatever.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

That seems like the point though. Subverting a genre known for right wing ideology or nihilism. It’s not like left wingers are lacking in anger or hatred, they’re just directing it at people who deserve it as opposed to Jews corrupting the purity of the Slavic homeland or whatever.

I do agree with the whole thing that positivity isn’t really right for the lyrical style, though that’s because it doesn’t fee right to perform something like that in an aggressive style. Like I’ve written songs about how much I love my son, but it’s done through a black metal lens so it seems angry as heck but it’s really about my lovely boy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People have also been writing songs with lyrics that don’t fit the music since the dawn of lyrics in music. How many times have you heard someone say “whoa this song sounds happy but it’s actually really dark”?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TRVE KVLT black metallers: "You can't do that, it's against the rules!"

:v:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

KozmoNaut posted:

TRVE KVLT black metallers: "You can't do that, it's against the rules!"

:v:

Most people in this thread: you can't listen to that because it's bad and hurts my feelings and you're bad too if you do!

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Varg posted:

Most people in this thread: you can't listen to that because it's bad and hurts my feelings and you're bad too if you do!

Sticking up for Nazi metal in 2020

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Varg posted:

"You can't say nazi metal is bad, just because they're nazis and want to gas the jews and kill all non-aryan people. You're hurting my feelings! I'm a very sensitive person who listens to nazi music, you know."

And so and so forth. The only good nazi is a dead nazi, whether they're musicians or not.

Just :lol: at wanting to be so dangerous and offend the normies, and then turning into giant whiny crybabies when shows are picketed and canceled.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 16, 2020

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Also gonna point out that the "evil" which is supposedly a vital component of black metal is the lamest, dorkiest, least "metal" evil imaginable, the same white teen disenfranchisement that runs though goth and nu-metal, just with added Lord of the Rings. While the cool(er) metalheads were moshing and crushing brews, King Nerd Euronymous and his friends were hanging out in a Norwegian basement talking about witchcraft and goblins and poo poo. If the black metal scene was formed today it would come out of the 4chan and paedo Reddit communities of black pill incels, you'd have bands called Epic Sirzum and Chadslaughter, and their lyrics would be about the Dark Enlightenment and anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah, this. Since black metal as a scene is loving lousy with right wing fuckheads, it makes sense to take the fight to them, so to speak.