Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

IMJack posted:

I have LDL Duran, DDD Angela, and DDD Charlotte all at L99 and I'm trying to finish the <2 minute Anise challenge. My best time so far is about 2:15. Any advice?

Use a night market item to buff Angela (Dark charlotte doesn't buff/debuff right?), make sure Angela has all the bonus magic attack abilities and maybe the black rabite ability, I think there's a MGC defense down item from the night market. Does DDD angela get lucent beam? I always go light.

In any event, you're best leaning as hard as possible into Angela to carry the team. Make sure you never control Charlotte/Duran, and have Angela spam lucent beam constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I feel like the music in this game is really strong and not talked about much.

TBH I talk about it pretty much any time I have an opportunity to do so. This soundtrack was so formative for me; I used to download lovely rips of the tracks off of Napster and load them onto my portable mp3 player.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

IMJack posted:

I have LDL Duran, DDD Angela, and DDD Charlotte all at L99 and I'm trying to finish the <2 minute Anise challenge. My best time so far is about 2:15. Any advice?

Main Angela. That's basically it. Use the elemental spells of opposite lements to destroy the cyrstals then make sure all your chars are close together (so she teleports to you) and use Ancient Curse. That should take you to phase 2, where you just ancient curse her a couple time.

That should be enough to get it under 1 minute.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

IMJack posted:

Control Angela, hit every crystal with the t2 ele version spells to pop em (should be in one cast). Debuff Anise (not sure if DDD charlotte has auto-debuff at fight start, might have to do it manually for first version, def have to do it for dragon version) and go ham with your fastest spells. Lock her in with any single target Class Strike (DONT use aoe class strikes, she will move away). When she transforms, with Angela dodge the first 2 aoe attacks, debuff dragon with Charlotte and go ham with Angela. You could also use saint saber items and let Duran aoe CS now.

That's how I did it at least. With Angela as main damage dealer it is all about packing as much punch as possible, so load her up with every wound magic. Dont bother with MP stuff, let the others be walnut spammers.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

IMJack posted:

Equip any and all abilities that boost your magic power on Angela. So stuff like Wound Magic and Wound Magic All and the like.

Duran's Lv. 3 and 4 class strikes can hold the enemy in place. Switch to him and hit Anise with one, then switch to Angela and cast Ancient Curse on her.

Charlotte should equip her debuff auras and hit Anise with Fetid Breath when her battle-start debuff runs out.

You should generally control Angela as much as possible. Constantly spam Ancient Curse during Anise's second phase.

(Ironically, the fastest record set on Anise requires an all-girls team with Angela as a Rune Seer.)

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 15, 2020

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Folt The Bolt posted:

(Ironically, the fastest record set on Anise requires an all-girls team with Angela as a Rune Seer.)

Why Rune Seer? Are the tier 3 elemental magics secretly really good? (I heard they cast kinda slow)

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Got it done by maining Angela. She doesn't have Lucent Beam but I was able to make do with her non-elemental super spell. Thanks for the advice.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Why Rune Seer? Are the tier 3 elemental magics secretly really good? (I heard they cast kinda slow)

They cast slow, but with buffs, debuffs, and a lot of abilities to boost spell damage, one Spike Freeze from a Lv. 99 Rune Seer Angela (and it must be from Rune Seer Angela because those abilities do not boost spell damage done from using items) is capable of killing both forms in one go from the videos I watched.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Folt The Bolt posted:

They cast slow, but with buffs, debuffs, and a lot of abilities to boost spell damage, one Spike Freeze from a Lv. 99 Rune Seer Angela (and it must be from Rune Seer Angela because those abilities do not boost spell damage done from using items) is capable of killing both forms in one go from the videos I watched.
There's another video where she does it with 2 Love Typhoons in 8.84 seconds, so Rune Seer isn't necessary.

Pretty sure it's the same party comp though.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The biggest argument in favor of a Chrono Trigger remake would be a new version of the soundtrack and I'm always happy to hear more Chrono Trigger music.

Same, an HD soundtrack by itself would be amazing. Especially considering what they did with Trials' soundtrack :v:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Thoughts on a Duran / Hawkeye / Angela team? Pretty set on Hawkeye being a night blade, but unsure if I should just say gently caress it to healing spells and make Duran go dark. Also, I know Angela kind of works any way you go, so ideas there might help too.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

timp posted:

TBH I talk about it pretty much any time I have an opportunity to do so. This soundtrack was so formative for me; I used to download lovely rips of the tracks off of Napster and load them onto my portable mp3 player.

Oh my god, I wasn't the only one.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The one bad thing about the remake is it ruins the Delicate Affection track because they made the cutscene shorter so the specifically timed track never gets to its big swell that perfectly aligns with the pulling of the sword and the realization that it's not quite over. :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

seiferguy posted:

Thoughts on a Duran / Hawkeye / Angela team? Pretty set on Hawkeye being a night blade, but unsure if I should just say gently caress it to healing spells and make Duran go dark. Also, I know Angela kind of works any way you go, so ideas there might help too.

Dark Hawkeye and Angela overlap quite a bit, although Hawkeye applies debuffs with his jutsus, so he's got that going for him. There's a glut of healing items in the game so you can forgo healing, although Saint Saber is handy to have for the actual challenging stuff in the game.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
I’m playing through the game with my five year old and having a blast, but is there any part where it opens up and becomes slightly less linear? I just got Flammie and filled out the map and it seems like there really aren’t any side challenges, better shops, sequences to try differently etc. Should I just keep heading for the star at all times? Even “hidden” chests just cough up 2 candy

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I feel like the music in this game is really strong and not talked about much.

timp posted:

I mean, they're right in that the soundtrack can't be talked about enough to do it justice.

There's so many tunes, yet not a single phoned-in track. Each one has its own feel, with very little retreading, but somehow feeling cohesive.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

King Bahamut posted:

I’m playing through the game with my five year old and having a blast, but is there any part where it opens up and becomes slightly less linear? I just got Flammie and filled out the map and it seems like there really aren’t any side challenges, better shops, sequences to try differently etc. Should I just keep heading for the star at all times? Even “hidden” chests just cough up 2 candy

The part where you get Flammie is as non-linear as the game gets. The branching is really in the selection of characters and classes.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

seiferguy posted:

If it helps, as an Edelfrei, Duran learns an ability that increases the team's elemental damage (Hawkeye's diversions, Angela's spells) and the dark class 4 gets an upgraded version of it. Who needs healing spells when you've got a great offense and poto oils? (Admittedly, I also have Light!Riesz who gets two passives that restore HP at the end of a fight, so. :v: )

Have not used Angela yet, so no advice on her.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Angela is the most intuitive character in the game. You just point her in a general direction and Lucent Beam everything to dust

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011
Started NG+ with the mod that turns off attack indicators, and turns out most attacks have tells. It is actually more fun to play this way instead of staring at the ground all the time, they should have just made this an option in the game.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

seiferguy posted:

timp posted:

I actually went Grand Diviner Angela, Liege Duran & Nightblade Hawkeye, which is exactly what you’re looking at.

I mean, I was definitely able to beat the game with that team no problem (on Hard difficulty) and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t use the crap out of Duran’s multiheal. I know items are available and plentiful but c’mon y’all, stocking items is annoying and you know it!

The only thing that felt a little superfluous to me was all of Hawkeye’s spells. Angela was more than capable of wiping enemies off the map with magic and I didn’t really notice a ton of benefit from the secondary effects of Hawkeyes attacks (debuffs, poison, max Hp down) but I will admit that I did quite enjoy the 10% instakill chance, way more than I thought I would.

If I were to do it again I might have tried DL Hawkeye instead just to try something different. But I loved Angela’s LL CS3 for clearing out mobs and Duran’s multiheals so I probably wouldn’t have changed those.

Take it or leave it when it comes to party healing; I felt like it was worth it to not have to worry about ducking into shops all the time, but I can also appreciate the fact that others are probably better than me at managing inventory and don't mind it as much

I will say I missed sabre magic in this run, but I plan on leaning into that heavily in Run 2 with Charlotte, Reisz and Kevin

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Nighteyedie posted:

Started NG+ with the mod that turns off attack indicators, and turns out most attacks have tells. It is actually more fun to play this way instead of staring at the ground all the time, they should have just made this an option in the game.

Yeah, amazed this is not the default for Hard mode difficulty.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think it’s because the animations for some moves can be deceptive and the red telegraphs are a more accurate indicator of what the actual hit box for the attack is like. An example is the hatchet-throwing enemies in the first cave, if you’re standing at the edge of the red line you will still take damage even though the axe looks like it should go past you.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
For those of you who like the music in SK3 and Secret of Mana - there's a game on Steam called Horizon's gate that has really REALLY SoM evocative music. It's almost identical in some places, but I did like it.

And I think I'd like a remake of FF6. When I was a kid I read an article in a magazine about it (called FF3 there of course) and was gutted that it was almost impossible to get in the UK. I emulated it years later and didn't like it much because the random encounters were way too often, but if they made it fancier and changed how that worked I think you'd get a really interesting game.
You could easy do a "baddies appear on the overworld but force you into a turn based battle when you bump into them" system with it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Alxprit posted:

The one bad thing about the remake is it ruins the Delicate Affection track because they made the cutscene shorter so the specifically timed track never gets to its big swell that perfectly aligns with the pulling of the sword and the realization that it's not quite over. :colbert:

I just discovered last night you can pause a cutscene and the music keeps going, so you can kind of adjust it

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I got my class 3 for Angela and now I get what everyone was saying, jesus christ she just melts everything including Benevodons. Duran and Hawkeye are basically just accessories that she drags along.

I want to do a Kevin/Riesz/Charlotte run and be done with the game so I can move onto FF7R and Xenoblade DE. What's the best combo for this crew and who should I main? I assume Kevin because the AI is pants on stupid with melee dps. Or maybe I'll sub out Charlotte for Duran to speed things up? I haven't done a run with Charlotte but she seems kinda meh.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

The Gunslinger posted:

I got my class 3 for Angela and now I get what everyone was saying, jesus christ she just melts everything including Benevodons. Duran and Hawkeye are basically just accessories that she drags along.

I want to do a Kevin/Riesz/Charlotte run and be done with the game so I can move onto FF7R and Xenoblade DE. What's the best combo for this crew and who should I main? I assume Kevin because the AI is pants on stupid with melee dps. Or maybe I'll sub out Charlotte for Duran to speed things up? I haven't done a run with Charlotte but she seems kinda meh.

I just finished my Angela run and yeah, she’s completely nuts in the last 30% of the game or so. But I think she’s noticeably weaker most of the time before that. Even then, compared to Divine Fist, Vanadys, Edelfrei, Angela only really felt better in the final dungeon against boss fights, and not by too much, while Divine Fist completely trivialized all the regular enemies. I don’t like the exaggerated inverse difficulty curve, but I don’t think Angela is all that overpowered with it taken into account.

Yeah, you should probably main Kevin. I would take L/L Kevin (ignore the healing, you’re here for CS spam), D/L Riesz (she has great CS generation, boosted by Divine Fist and can buff herself while debuffing enemies) and L/L or L/D Charlotte for melee support. D/L Duran would be better, since he fits better on a melee team while also giving great support (healing is not that important), but Charlotte will work just fine, too.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

There's another video where she does it with 2 Love Typhoons in 8.84 seconds, so Rune Seer isn't necessary.

Pretty sure it's the same party comp though.

Same, an HD soundtrack by itself would be amazing. Especially considering what they did with Trials' soundtrack :v:

Rune Seer did it in sub-7 seconds though.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I just finished my Angela run and yeah, she’s completely nuts in the last 30% of the game or so. But I think she’s noticeably weaker most of the time before that. Even then, compared to Divine Fist, Vanadys, Edelfrei, Angela only really felt better in the final dungeon against boss fights, and not by too much, while Divine Fist completely trivialized all the regular enemies. I don’t like the exaggerated inverse difficulty curve, but I don’t think Angela is all that overpowered with it taken into account.

Yeah, you should probably main Kevin. I would take L/L Kevin (ignore the healing, you’re here for CS spam), D/L Riesz (she has great CS generation, boosted by Divine Fist and can buff herself while debuffing enemies) and L/L or L/D Charlotte for melee support. D/L Duran would be better, since he fits better on a melee team while also giving great support (healing is not that important), but Charlotte will work just fine, too.

Yeah I thought she wasn't very strong before that unless you take Reclaim II, the 30% less MP in battle skill and the other MP after victory thing. Even then her AOE isn't that strong until Lucent Beam+.

I am a bit worried about fighting crap in Woods of Wandara with Kevin but its just one area and he pretty much excels everywhere else from what I've heard. I think I will go D/L Duran then instead of Charlotte since I'm not caring about trophies anyway and Charlotte seems really boring. Does the AI actually cast saber magic reliably or do I need to do that every fight?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I don’t think the AI uses sabers, but it might just be that I’ve never bothered to set the MP limit properly on moves for Duran. Anyway, I mostly only used sabers on boss fights since everything else died too fast for it to seem worth it.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

AI will never use sabers no matter what.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The best thing to do with the AI seems to be to never rely on them to do anything automatically. Including not dying to mechanics.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Angela doesn't start to get noticeably silly sill you get that 1 chain ability in the tomato dudes island. Then she's just a walking machine gun of Lucent beams.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The Gunslinger posted:

I am a bit worried about fighting crap in Woods of Wandara with Kevin but its just one area and he pretty much excels everywhere else from what I've heard. I think I will go D/L Duran then instead of Charlotte since I'm not caring about trophies anyway and Charlotte seems really boring. Does the AI actually cast saber magic reliably or do I need to do that every fight?

You'll need to do that every fight, except you'll be maining Kevin, so you'll only need to do it for boss fights where the fight will actually last long enough for the saber to matter.

Woods of Wandara isn't an issue. You can Dream Seed in it like any other area.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So I just did the final dungeon on the Duran party.

Wow he is just clearly the main character huh? This is clearly the main story path. I already played through the other 2

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

When his bad guy doesn't get clowned by someone else, sure. They didn't do as good a job splitting focus in the other paths as they do Hawkeye and Riesz.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Defiance Industries posted:

When his bad guy doesn't get clowned by someone else, sure. They didn't do as good a job splitting focus in the other paths as they do Hawkeye and Riesz.

He gets 2 bad guys!

Crimson Wizard to Angela is just "Oh yeah I know that guy he's a dick". What if weird though I've had Angela in my other parties and her ending is exactly the same in those paths as her finishing this dungeon was in this one, so I wonder what her ending here will be

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
The way I see it its 3 to 1 for every pair.

Duran, Charlotte, and Riesz have something to do with all 3 of the baddies. Duran and Charlotte is a familial vendetta with the mastermind, and Riesz is essentially an angry mom with a dough roller ready to beat some kidnapper rear end.
Hawkeye, Angela and Kevin have gently caress all to do with the masterminds aside them being the motives for their suffering, and they couldn't give 2 shits about the muscle(lets just assume Heath is the muscle).

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Heath isn't the muscle. Goremand's the muscle. Which makes the Kevin/Charlotte storyline a good middle point between the relatively even split of Riesz/Hawkeye and the lopsided Duran/Angela.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Shoenin posted:

The way I see it its 3 to 1 for every pair.

Duran, Charlotte, and Riesz have something to do with all 3 of the baddies. Duran and Charlotte is a familial vendetta with the mastermind, and Riesz is essentially an angry mom with a dough roller ready to beat some kidnapper rear end.
Hawkeye, Angela and Kevin have gently caress all to do with the masterminds aside them being the motives for their suffering, and they couldn't give 2 shits about the muscle(lets just assume Heath is the muscle).

Hawkeye, Angela, and Kevin get to see their people turned into an expendable army for the bad guy. Presumably they're fighting to have something left at the end of it all.

That Kevin's "people" are as a whole unlikable antagonistic douchebags is neither here nor there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Shoenin posted:

Angela doesn't start to get noticeably silly sill you get that 1 chain ability in the tomato dudes island. Then she's just a walking machine gun of Lucent beams.

It really bugs me that that ability prevents the 10% exp bonus from not getting hit. But even by the point I had reclaim 1 and 2, Angela still didn’t really feel better than Kevin. A good few of the benevodons felt tougher, too. I ended up just switching to Duran to finish Xan Bie, actually. By the time Angela had Pinpoint 2 and Duran’s Flourish, she really took off and started just shredding bosses in seconds.