Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

fun hater posted:

yeah i didnt even know what that post was talking abt lol. i was thinking specifically of the rancid transphobia in the mike years which is unsurprising given mikes political leanings. did he actually apologize for that?? that would be legitimately surprising.

Kind of?

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/rifftrax-mst3k-mike-nelson-interview/

quote:

RiffTrax has gotten criticism in the past for relying on homophobic and transphobic humor as well as fat-shaming and other things. Do you guys ever discuss whether certain moments went too far, if you punched down instead of up?

Yeah, yeah. No, we discuss it all the time. In fact I’ve discussed it, and am happy to, pretty much openly with anyone who comments about that. And a lot of times it’s difficult, especially if you’re trying to do something like that over Twitter or something, so I usually try to take those things offline with people. So, yeah, we discuss it and we’re open to it. And I think there are probably times, always, in comedy, when you go, “We didn’t realize how we were coming off,” because we’re obviously not at all mean-spirited and you can tell that from the tone of our comedy. So when it does happen, the best you can do is say, “That certainly wasn’t the intention, but now I have new information, so thanks.” Most of the time that’s all people are really looking for. So I’m fine with that.

I don’t get the sense that Mike Nelson is a Joe Bob Briggs reactionary type who would write for nazi websites and scream in your face about being censored by the loony left, but I don’t really understand conservatism as a belief system either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It's a shame the firsthand account research was poached by the B- efforts of Mathew Klickstein, who was clearly in it for the novelty and whose research seems to consist of what he was told or shown by his informants.

I've hung out with that guy, several years ago, and he suuuuuucks

at the bar with comedy friends and klickstein is in town, apparently talking to a guy i know about opportunities in podcasts/tv, which woulda been very cool, since we'd been producing a comedy college radio show to a tiny audience. My fake-name friend Mary is there, drunk as a lord, flirting with him, but ducks out early and walks home. Rest of us go to my buddy's place to smoke weed and have some after-hours beers, and he is HELLBENT on someone driving him to her house. Like - I'm trying to light-heartedly talk him down to 'text her tomorrow, dude' and he gives me this angry but otherwise empty shark-eye look with nothing behind it but a desire to go gently caress this drunk woman

they dated for a little while, she moved to NYC and right back, and I feel like it's not my place to get into details, but surprise: he's an abusive gently caress

complete piece of poo poo, and i am glad that someone else went and made a nickelodeon book because I wanna read about that

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I am pretty sure that Jim Carey is still paying back the karmantic debt from the end of Ace Ventura and the...entirety of Ace Ventura 2.

ace ventura 2 is good.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
They've also gone to the effort of editing offensive jokes from old Rifftraxs before.

Mike is definitely not some Joe Briggs type. He has a podcast where he talks with his pastor about all sorts of things and he comes across more as a centrist Christian who tries to take the whole "love your neighbor" thing to heart.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

They've also gone to the effort of editing offensive jokes from old Rifftraxs before.

Mike is definitely not some Joe Briggs type. He has a podcast where he talks with his pastor about all sorts of things and he comes across more as a centrist Christian who tries to take the whole "love your neighbor" thing to heart.

The other podcast he does with Connor Lastowka from RiffTrax making fun of bad books makes him come off as very down to earth and normal too. He's the kind of guy to poke fun at poo poo that falls outside either edge of the mainstream, but needling the stuff that's actively harmful or deranged a little stronger than the harmless stuff.

Like when they make fun of Sean Penn and his awful book, they don't focus on Sean Penn the Arch Liberal, they focus on Sean Penn the Head-Up-His-Own-rear end Prima Donna who says and does weird self-serving poo poo all the time.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Quoting to get more attention, this guy's great, he did his research, and he's talking about a really great movie. Give this a watch.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I got a few of my friends to watch KaiserBeamz, he's great.

Whoever first linked him earlier in the thread, thanks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
for some reason I thought he posted here himself and linked his own videos :v:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

dancingbears posted:

Quoting to get more attention, this guy's great, he did his research, and he's talking about a really great movie. Give this a watch.

Thanks for quoting that, I missed it the first time and I probably wouldn't have watched it otherwise. I really appreciated how many different angles that video covered, between the history of the character, the early history of Miyazaki, and the unexpected influence the film had on both anime and western animation.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i heard outside the anti vaxx stuff which he seems to not talk about much. he is a pretty good and supportive dude.

He poo poo talked Mussolini's granddaughter when she tried to cry decorum and he in response painted her grandpa's hanging.

What I'm saying is hes a born poster and I respect that at least

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Wasn't there some stuff about him being one of the main reasons his partner killed herself. Like he goaded her into it or something like that.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Wasn't there some stuff about him being one of the main reasons his partner killed herself. Like he goaded her into it or something like that.

seems like an irresponsible assertion to make when youre so unconfident in it you add “or something like that”

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

according to his now-dead girlfriend, jim carrey introduced her to drugs. she wrote that before she od'd.

you could make the argument that maybe it can't be confirmed since it's 100% a he-said, she-said thing, but the 'she' in this case od'd and died, so.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also he was only antivax while he was with Jenny McCarthy, which doesn’t mitigate the harm he did, but it’s not a persistent belief with him and just shows that he’s either stupid or willing to kill people so that he can get along with his girlfriend.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

The other podcast he does with Connor Lastowka from RiffTrax making fun of bad books makes him come off as very down to earth and normal too. He's the kind of guy to poke fun at poo poo that falls outside either edge of the mainstream, but needling the stuff that's actively harmful or deranged a little stronger than the harmless stuff.

Like when they make fun of Sean Penn and his awful book, they don't focus on Sean Penn the Arch Liberal, they focus on Sean Penn the Head-Up-His-Own-rear end Prima Donna who says and does weird self-serving poo poo all the time.

Mike was also put off by the bit in Ready Player One (as most people who read it are) when Wade asks Art3mis if she is in fact a real girl who has never had a sex change.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

according to his now-dead girlfriend, jim carrey introduced her to drugs. she wrote that before she od'd.

you could make the argument that maybe it can't be confirmed since it's 100% a he-said, she-said thing, but the 'she' in this case od'd and died, so.

assuming this is true, describing him as “one of the main reasons she killed herself” is harmfully misleading.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Her family took a civil case against him that was dropped. It was based off a note she wrote before she killed herself with a drug overdose they alleged he bought for her. In her note she alleges abuse. He says it didn't happen and was even pallbearer at her funeral.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
you do not have to be flippant and dismissive when asked to be specific and sensitive about a stranger's suicide

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I meant that sincerely.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I would say casting a cis woman as a trans woman is not at all progressive when it’s being done to hide the lovely twist that they were trans the whole time. It’s just trans panic as a plot line (see Ace’s meltdown when learning the hot woman he was attracted to was trans). You were not going to have a studio hire a trans woman that passes in the 90s.

Also, Linehan seeking Anita’s approval despite her being openly supportive of trans people reveals how he just sees women as a tool to further himself. Anita has had trans women on her shows for years now, and if Linehan has bothered to care at all about her work then he would have known to not bother courting her for terf causes in the first place.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Also Mike Nelson is on a podcast with Doug loving TenNapel, so take that as you will. I guess to his credit he tends to be “too busy” to be on any episode about LGBT issues.

(Also the Axe Cop guy, who is sadly a religious chud.)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Her family took a civil case against him that was dropped. It was based off a note she wrote before she killed herself with a drug overdose they alleged he bought for her. In her note she alleges abuse. He says it didn't happen and was even pallbearer at her funeral.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

thank you for being specific and straightforward

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
what’s worse is that Mike Nelson has appeared in a couple projects alongside Richard “Lowtax” Kyanka, the founder of somethingawful.com— home to the toxic troll army that accidentally memed Donald Trump into the White House

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Pants Donkey posted:

I would say casting a cis woman as a trans woman is not at all progressive when it’s being done to hide the lovely twist that they were trans the whole time. It’s just trans panic as a plot line (see Ace’s meltdown when learning the hot woman he was attracted to was trans). You were not going to have a studio hire a trans woman that passes in the 90s.

I imagine given that the Old Ways were still going strong in the mid 90s, it would have been basically impossible to find a “passing” trans actress who wasn’t deep stealth and would thus refuse to even associate with the role for fear of outing themselves.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

CmdrKing posted:

I imagine given that the Old Ways were still going strong in the mid 90s, it would have been basically impossible to find a “passing” trans actress who wasn’t deep stealth and would thus refuse to even associate with the role for fear of outing themselves.

Elizabeth Coffey was being cast in the 70s, whether it was common it wasn't like there wasn't precedence.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He poo poo talked Mussolini's granddaughter when she tried to cry decorum and he in response painted her grandpa's hanging.

What I'm saying is hes a born poster and I respect that at least

that and his art is mostly good.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Pants Donkey posted:

Also Mike Nelson is on a podcast with Doug loving TenNapel, so take that as you will. I guess to his credit he tends to be “too busy” to be on any episode about LGBT issues.

It was a sad day when I discovered the Axe Cop guy's twitter account and didn't recognize him at first, blocked him in disgust, and only later realized who he was. :smith:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Jamie Faith posted:

It was a sad day when I discovered the Axe Cop guy's twitter account and didn't recognize him at first, blocked him in disgust, and only later realized who he was. :smith:

Lol hes the "creative director" of the Babylon Bee which is an Evangelical Christian knock-off of the onion.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Lol hes the "creative director" of the Babylon Bee which is an Evangelical Christian knock-off of the onion.

Yeah I know, that's when I discovered his account. People were dunking on some insane Babylon Bee article he wrote and he showed up in the twitter thread defending it. I rolled my eyes and blocked him but then right after I did I saw his bio and went "What a douch-WAIT CREATOR OF AXE COP WHAT?" :smith:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
At least he isn’t the writer.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

scary ghost dog posted:

i think this can mostly be chalked up to nobody knowing that happened

This is literally the first I've heard of this.

Dawgstar posted:

RiffTrax routinely snuck in GamerGate jokes when it was more relevant so I expect the types to get really mad also realize that none of the former Best Brain crew are going to be friends of theirs.

I remember someone mentioning this before. I was watching RiffTrax with my family a few months back (as it's available for streaming free on quite a few different services), and there was a joke of, 'this kid is the type to complain about ethics in game journalism'. It went over the heads of everyone else (since they aren't aware of the never-ending eDrama wars), but hearing it in that situation, there was a moment where it felt like my blood turned to roaches. I still like RiffTrax, mind you, but that line just internally made me go :ohno:.

Pants Donkey posted:

Mike Nelson also voiced the protagonist for TenNapel's newest game, Armikrog. That in turn demonstrates how things have changed, because if you went traveled back in time and told nine-year-old me that Doug TenNapel was making another Neverhood style adventure game, and Mike Nelson was voicing the main character, I'd have done a whole dance number in excitement! :neckbeard:

Now though, I just get really sad and depressed. :smith:

(Also, I think Jon Heder also did a voice for the game as well)

-

Anyway, switching gears to something in the same vein but hopefully a bit more positive, I stumbled onto a channel called Pretty Much It, which does humorous commentary tracks over movies and TV shows. They aren't a MST3K/RiffTrax clone, as the commentary isn't scripted jokes, but just kind of off-the-cuff commentary and reactions. The highlights for me have been the video on the Harry Potter series, and the videos on 13 Reason Why.

The videos themselves are just compilations of various bits, but you can go their website to buy the commentary tracks. I haven't bought any yet because commentary synching has been a big issue for me (which is why I've not bought that many RiffTrax tracks), and some of the stuff they watch I think is digital only.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 16, 2020

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Jamie Faith posted:

Yeah I know, that's when I discovered his account. People were dunking on some insane Babylon Bee article he wrote and he showed up in the twitter thread defending it. I rolled my eyes and blocked him but then right after I did I saw his bio and went "What a douch-WAIT CREATOR OF AXE COP WHAT?" :smith:
Dare I ask what the article was

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Pants Donkey posted:

Dare I ask what the article was

I don't remember. This was a year or 2 ago IIRC.

Max Wilco posted:

This is literally the first I've heard of this.

I remember someone mentioning this before. I was watching RiffTrax with my family a few months back (as it's available for streaming free on quite a few different services), and there was a joke of, 'this kid is the type to complain about ethics in game journalism'. It went over the heads of everyone else (since they aren't aware of the never-ending eDrama wars), but hearing it in that situation, there was a moment where it felt like my blood turned to roaches. I still like RiffTrax, mind you, but that line just internally made me go :ohno:.

Wait, what's wrong with that joke? It sounds like they're making fun of gamergate. (Which is good lol)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

Wait, what's wrong with that joke? It sounds like they're making fun of gamergate. (Which is good lol)

Nothing was wrong with it. I just wasn't expecting it, because you don't hear about GG outside the internet, and the average person probably won't get an 'ethics in game journalism' joke unless you explain it to them.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Jamie Faith posted:

I don't remember. This was a year or 2 ago IIRC.

The dude had sweet muscles, was really tall, and the joke came right after he revealed he got double 800s in his SATs and proved the existence of God to his science professor with stone cold reason before a 5 minute scene of various characters discussing how well-endowed and good at sex he was. It was really egregious actually.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 16, 2020

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Max Wilco posted:

Nothing was wrong with it. I just wasn't expecting it, because you don't hear about GG outside the internet, and the average person probably won't get an 'ethics in game journalism' joke unless you explain it to them.

Ah ok. Sorry. I misinterpreted your post. My bad.

Anyway, this is off topic but I just wanted to plug my Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2 thread. I was going to bring up the recently announced remake of THPS1 and 2 here but I think this thread has enough derails lol so I made this thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3923675&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post504908383

So check it out if you're interested in discussing the THPS remake :)

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Anyway, switching gears to something in the same vein but hopefully a bit more positive, I stumbled onto a channel called Pretty Much It, which does humorous commentary tracks over movies and TV shows. They aren't a MST3K/RiffTrax clone, as the commentary isn't scripted jokes, but just kind of off-the-cuff commentary and reactions. The highlights for me have been the video on the Harry Potter series, and the videos on 13 Reason Why.

The videos themselves are just compilations of various bits, but you can go their website to buy the commentary tracks. I haven't bought any yet because commentary synching has been a big issue for me (which is why I've not bought that many RiffTrax tracks), and some of the stuff they watch I think is digital only.
I love PMI if you sign up for their patreon you get all their stuff for only 15 usd. The final destination ones are my fav their rollercoaster journey marathoning them is great.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I remember watching that Orson Welles narrated Nostradamus "documentary" Quintin showed in the early 90s on HBO. Woulda been around the time they did the Heston remake but I looked up the differences and I definitely saw the original. I specifically remembered the blue-turbaned third Antichrist.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dovi posted:

I love PMI if you sign up for their patreon you get all their stuff for only 15 usd. The final destination ones are my fav their rollercoaster journey marathoning them is great.

I'm tempted to do that (I've though about subscribing to a couple of Patreons recently as it is). The problem is, as I said, the process of doing the syncing seems like a nightmare. That was my big issue with RiffTrax, because I could never find an ideal way to get the audio to sync independent of each other (there would always be a couple of seconds of delay, worse if I had to pause them both to go do something, and I'm one of those people who extremely annoyed when desync issues crop up.) The only way I found to do it optimally was to rip the movie from the DVD, sync up the audio track in a video editor, then render it.

PMI adds an additonal wrinkle where some of the stuff they cover (mostly the direct-to-video movies) are digital only, or it's stuff like Twilight and 13 Reasons Why, which I find really funny, but I would feel weird about buying the DVDs for.

Honestly, my thought is to donate to their patreon, then see if find a :filez: torrent of the stuff they did, so I could download it guilt-free.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

How rifftrax do it? In pmi they tell you to press play when X logo fades and then tell you to pause in the track itself. I've never had an issue with it but maybe I'm just not picky and haven't noticed it being off lol