Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

I'm honestly sort of waffling on selling Ninjago City and Docks to get the ISD at the moment. On one hand NC is like, basically the greatest Lego set ever. But even used, I'm looking at aftermarket prices and I could pretty much subsidize the whole thing with it, and NC is just sitting disassembled in my closet now. Part of me thinks I'd kick myself for selling it down the road though. And it's honestly nuts that the prices have gone up that much on those sets seeing as how they have only been OOP for like 6 months. It'll probably be ridiculously expensive in a couple of years. I dunno. really want that star destroyer though and I'm not just gonna pay 700 out of pocket for it.

NC/Docks are something I was convinced to buy by this thread and I have zero regrets. At the time I was worried I wasn’t getting enough of a discount, but the increase in price since then has surprised me. In any case I would never part with it because it’s literally the best thing they’ve ever made and having both is more than twice as good as having only one of the two.

Then again as I am not a big SW lego fan I can’t really put myself in your shoes. Of all the sets in that line, the ISD just seems like a whole lot of grey plate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Even as a big star wars fan there's no fuckin way I'd trade the Ninjago City and Docks for the ISD. The combined city and the building of it is the most joy it's possible to have with Lego. The ISD is a giant grey wedge.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

I'm honestly sort of waffling on selling Ninjago City and Docks to get the ISD at the moment. On one hand NC is like, basically the greatest Lego set ever. But even used, I'm looking at aftermarket prices and I could pretty much subsidize the whole thing with it, and NC is just sitting disassembled in my closet now. Part of me thinks I'd kick myself for selling it down the road though. And it's honestly nuts that the prices have gone up that much on those sets seeing as how they have only been OOP for like 6 months. It'll probably be ridiculously expensive in a couple of years. I dunno. really want that star destroyer though and I'm not just gonna pay 700 out of pocket for it.

Third option, keep Ninjago, skip the Lego ISD, and buy the monarch ISD instructions instead. It’s over double the pieces, and roughly half the price if you get bootlego bricks instead

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I recently took some super dusty models off the shelf, disassembled them and sold them on Bricklink. I tried something new for cleaning.

I hit the whole thing with a synthetic duster, and that got most of it off, enough that I could begin taking it apart. Then as I took each piece off, I brushed it with a dry extra-soft toothbrush. Everything came out shiny and new!
This wouldn't work for bulk purchases, but for dissembling dusty old models this is the only way I'm doing it from now on, it was effective and really fast.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Finished building the A-Wing. Pretty fun/interesting - though a bit odd in spots - attaching the engines felt a bit weird/tricky/flimsy. A lot of the bits on the sides in general have a bit of wiggle that I don't like, but I guess that's just sorta what goes with getting the shape.

Really grateful for whoever shared the "trick" here some years ago of applying bigger stickers by peeling/folding a bit of the sticker sheet out of the way and just sticking a tiny bit of the sticker to the piece until you have it lined up, then rolling the sheet away slowly.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

the trans yellow might be different from the like, 1x4 2x2 etc trans-clear bricks from the 60's/70's and such maybe? I'd take a picture of what I mean but I tossed most of the really jacked up ones.

The trans-clear bricks have always felt different from the colored transparent pieces to me, but I'm not an expert.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Squashy Nipples posted:

I recently took some super dusty models off the shelf, disassembled them and sold them on Bricklink. I tried something new for cleaning.

I hit the whole thing with a synthetic duster, and that got most of it off, enough that I could begin taking it apart. Then as I took each piece off, I brushed it with a dry extra-soft toothbrush. Everything came out shiny and new!
This wouldn't work for bulk purchases, but for dissembling dusty old models this is the only way I'm doing it from now on, it was effective and really fast.
A toothbrush and other nylon/synthetic brushes can scratch pieces pretty easily. I am also a fan of hand brushing them in the context you're doing, but use a natural (horse hair) brush. I got a set from a craft store for a few bucks and they won't harm ABS.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I finished the treehouse! It looks so good finished, but honestly gently caress putting together the leaves with the shoot sticks. My fingers hurt after that, like the holes on the leaves are all slightly too small and pushing them through required much more effort than I expected.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

The_Doctor posted:

I finished the treehouse! It looks so good finished, but honestly gently caress putting together the leaves with the shoot sticks. My fingers hurt after that, like the holes on the leaves are all slightly too small and pushing them through required much more effort than I expected.

My experience mirrored yours. Though now that pirates bay exists I wish they had kept the Robinson Crusoe flavor of the original submission. Still might look great in an archipelago.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Even as a big star wars fan there's no fuckin way I'd trade the Ninjago City and Docks for the ISD. The combined city and the building of it is the most joy it's possible to have with Lego. The ISD is a giant grey wedge.

This is undeniably true, but on the other hand I have already built it and had it on display for over 2 years, so it's not like I missed out on that. Still, not sure I want to do it though. NC definitely is an unbelievably cool set. I just want to find a way to pick up the ISD while it's still in production without outright dropping $700 on a Lego set cause that feels nuts. Gray plates or not it's a pretty amazing looking and absolutely massive representation of one of the best SW ships and the price on that thing will be a nightmare to try and pick up after it's gone.

Either way there should be plenty of time to think about it. I doubt the Star Destroyer is going anywhere for at least a year.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

This is undeniably true, but on the other hand I have already built it and had it on display for over 2 years, so it's not like I missed out on that. Still, not sure I want to do it though. NC definitely is an unbelievably cool set. I just want to find a way to pick up the ISD while it's still in production without outright dropping $700 on a Lego set cause that feels nuts. Gray plates or not it's a pretty amazing looking and absolutely massive representation of one of the best SW ships and the price on that thing will be a nightmare to try and pick up after it's gone.

Either way there should be plenty of time to think about it. I doubt the Star Destroyer is going anywhere for at least a year.

Get a job at a Lego store.
Use your discount to buy it.
Never quit.
Use your discount to buy more stuff.

I think I got sidetracked about 1/2 through that advice.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

The_Doctor posted:

Which leaves did you wind up putting on it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

OSU_Matthew posted:

Which leaves did you wind up putting on it?

The green ones, as it’s only May right now. But with the pain endured from putting the leaves together, I’d have to really want to ever change it to the autumnal ones.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm looking at the ideas on Ideas and the tensegrity Floating Island looks pretty cool, Brick Walk is beautiful but it's basically a classic doll house at its core. Fast Food Corner on the other hand is just diverse enough inside and out to make me want it. I'm not sure what the current policy is on submitted modulars though?

The_Doctor posted:

The green ones, as it’s only May right now. But with the pain endured from putting the leaves together, I’d have to really want to ever change it to the autumnal ones.

I also did the green and I don't think I'll ever change them out because of how much work it would entail. I've thought about doing it up like a cherry blossom tree with the light medium and dark pinks but I want to make sure I'm visualizing that properly before taking any drastic steps.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

OSU_Matthew posted:

Third option, keep Ninjago, skip the Lego ISD, and buy the monarch ISD instructions instead. It’s over double the pieces, and roughly half the price if you get bootlego bricks instead

As someone who built both the Monarch and the Executor MoC, I still can't believe that Lego didn't use one of the two ways to hide the giant gap in the middle for the new ISD. The way the Executor MoC hides it is especially impressive (and cheap and simple)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Are the engine pieces on that star destroyer the death star piece from those star wars micro builds or did that part come out for something different in light grey?

Because if that's the death star that's hilarious to me.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

tuo posted:

As someone who built both the Monarch and the Executor MoC, I still can't believe that Lego didn't use one of the two ways to hide the giant gap in the middle for the new ISD. The way the Executor MoC hides it is especially impressive (and cheap and simple)

In their defense, they've only had 18 years since the set was first released to figure it out.

Crazy what a difference 18 years can make though, reminds me of the original statue of liberty vs the re-release. The evolution of legos from voxel art to hyper-realistic builds is astounding

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That Monarch is pretty great but I couldn't bring myself to spend $400 on knockoff Lego and sourcing real parts would probably cost as much as the official release and be a ton of work.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

xzzy posted:

Are the engine pieces on that star destroyer the death star piece from those star wars micro builds or did that part come out for something different in light grey?

Because if that's the death star that's hilarious to me.

They sure look like the Death Star parts to me. AFAIK that kind of sphere never came in grey except for the Death Star.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think they are the the base version of that part without the death star detailing that they used for other planets in that series. Only recolored in light gray.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Masaaki Yuasa is gold.

ether
May 20, 2001

Feenix posted:

Has anyone ever used Brick Bracket? Its a site that sells wall mounts (like for the UCS Batmobile 89). However, they literally don't even show pictures of their product. Not that I imagine it's that exciting to see... but I like to know what I'm buying.

https://brickbracket.co

Also it's in Australia so maybe gently caress that... any other sites doing wall mounts for Lego Batmo?

Find someone with a 3d printer and get them to make this? https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4235462

No idea how heavy the batmobile is, but print orientation might be a thing if it is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh hanging a car on a wall like that looks really weird. I feel bad saying that because I think someone itt designed it, but it seems like a really bizarre way to display that set to me.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

That Monarch is pretty great but I couldn't bring myself to spend $400 on knockoff Lego and sourcing real parts would probably cost as much as the official release and be a ton of work.

400$? Didn't know it was that expensive at other places. Mine was like 250 EUR, and the Executor 170 EUR IIRC. 400$ is pretty expensive for basically the same "ship", but more detailed, I agree.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Where the heck did this Lego Monkie Kid thing come from?

Also

ether posted:

Find someone with a 3d printer and get them to make this? https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4235462

No idea how heavy the batmobile is, but print orientation might be a thing if it is.

I don't know a single person with a 3d Printer.
I actually posted in this thread a month ago, and PM'ed the creator of that. I'd be willing to pay for it.
(honestly I prefer vertical, not horizontal, but I really just want this beautiful bastard off my desk!)

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
This ideas space probes project is really cool. The size of the individual models is great, and the prospect of voyager golden records is what makes it, imo. Probably a really fun design brief for the graphic designer. Not sure if they’d do the UCS style plaques.

Very worth a look and support click.

https://ideas.lego.com/content/project/link/80e3c12d-4628-470e-873a-5cc73b46d5c7

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Feenix posted:

Where the heck did this Lego Monkie Kid thing come from?
I don't know if you know this, but Journey to the West is a very popular story

and more specifically, it's probably to make a more china-based brand in a ninjago style.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
That, plus it's another attempt at another Original Boy IP to go with (and perhaps maybe replace) Ninjago, same as why there was Chima/Nexo Knights.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I guess to save money, that official UCS star destroyer is less intricate than the Monarch. LEGO should go all out and release a $10,000 set with no corners cut, just pounds of hidden detail and solid brick.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A MF with full interior details that you can't actually move because it would fall apart.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I guess to save money, that official UCS star destroyer is less intricate than the Monarch. LEGO should go all out and release a $10,000 set with no corners cut, just pounds of hidden detail and solid brick.

True minifig scale rebel corvette

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Why do some sets get pre-orders and other don't? I see the new Haunted House just says "Coming Soon" and I'm sure this bitch is going to sell out immediately, really wish there was pre-orders to kinda secure one.

edit: Oh, I see, it's VIP only pre-orders. Ain't not thang than, are pre-orders only ever VIP?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

sigher posted:

Why do some sets get pre-orders and other don't? I see the new Haunted House just says "Coming Soon" and I'm sure this bitch is going to sell out immediately, really wish there was pre-orders to kinda secure one.

edit: Oh, I see, it's VIP only pre-orders. Ain't not thang than, are pre-orders only ever VIP?

Yeah, usually the 2 weeks before release I want to say?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Honestly with the star destroyer, the intermediate size one (75055) was a great build. I didn’t get burnt out putting it together, it displays nicely, there’s a small interior, that set is a great way to go if you want a gray wedge imho

Hermsgervørden posted:

This ideas space probes project is really cool. The size of the individual models is great, and the prospect of voyager golden records is what makes it, imo. Probably a really fun design brief for the graphic designer. Not sure if they’d do the UCS style plaques.

Very worth a look and support click.

https://ideas.lego.com/content/project/link/80e3c12d-4628-470e-873a-5cc73b46d5c7

Supported! The whole package is just :discourse:

The minifigs in particular are just fantastic on so many different levels, especially that Carl Sagan fig!

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 19, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, usually the 2 weeks before release I want to say?

It’s still a pretty new thing. For smaller sets they go further out and I think non vips can preorder. Like a bunch of summer sets can be preordered right now.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't know if you know this, but Journey to the West is a very popular story

and more specifically, it's probably to make a more china-based brand in a ninjago style.

I’m familiar. I just sorta meant in terms of announcement, I feel like I hadn’t heard anything leading up to release. Could just be outta the loop lately, though...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Feenix posted:

I’m familiar. I just sorta meant in terms of announcement, I feel like I hadn’t heard anything leading up to release. Could just be outta the loop lately, though...

There were some detailed leaks about it in March and less detailed info around before that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been in a cleanup kick and decided to disassemble some MOCs that were developing a dust layer, and on this one I decided to assemble it in stud.io and tweak some things.

Probably never build it again but having a record is nice.

Also kinda fun to see the differences in how the "photoreal" render compared to the real thing. :v:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
That's the car we should have launched into space instead of a tesla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

xzzy posted:

I've been in a cleanup kick and decided to disassemble some MOCs that were developing a dust layer, and on this one I decided to assemble it in stud.io and tweak some things.

Probably never build it again but having a record is nice.

Also kinda fun to see the differences in how the "photoreal" render compared to the real thing. :v:

LOVE this, a proper mash up.

I think I like the rear fenders on top better. And the little stripes on the jet engines are nice, something about that speaks Classic Space to me.