Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

LifeSunDeath posted:

can't beat em, join em, huh?

lol, in my defense I actually started it. Guilty your honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

You guys should get a Hoover Wind tunnel. It was good enough to exorcise the boil on some goon's taint years ago.

scapulataf posted:

Bachelor? Yeah, maybe.
Disgusting?? Oh gently caress yeah.

I've had a boil on my taint for a few days and its been bugging the gently caress out of me. It hurt to sit, it hurt to poo poo, it hurt to do a lot of things.

I tried scrubbing the area with alcohol, and then poking a pin through it, but it wasn't working. First squatting over a mirror and then propping the mirror up on a hamper full of dirty laundry.
I tried the boiling bottle technique, but I don't think I was patient enough.

So, today I had a great idea. I got out the antiseptics, and disinfectants, and the alcohol, and the vacuum. Its a Hoover wind tunnel since someone will ask.

The first shot I didn't quite get it centred where I wanted it but it was still over the mark. Even though it was on that spot for maybe half a second there was still evil juices flowing from my taint. When I got it centred properly, and left it for several seconds I could practically feel the magic as the juices were flowing from my body and into the vacuum hose, coating the inside of it. I'm going to have a hard time making my vacuum not look like a crime scene. But relief is upon me!!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Oh I know, I know, don't get me started. One of those happy wife / happy life moments.

Will say though the drat thing that is 90% plastic has held up probably 8 years of getting beat on before this repair. I was amazed the part I needed was around $28.

They are hilariously overbuilt - The AvE on one of the devices was interesting. I believe it was the motor was a brushless, which was largely pointless on an AC-powered device, since you don't really need to absolutely maximize power efficiency in that case.
I have a DC07 vacuum I pulled out of the neighbor's trash. They likely chiched it because it wasn't performing well. That's probably because the beater bar wasn't working - it was missing one of the two belts - and it had tears in the hose for the attachments (I really don't like the hose arrangement - you us the handle for the upright as the wand for the attachments, forcing you to sort of disassemble the vac any time you want to use them.) They had also sucked up wet stuff with it, creating mud throughout the system. Despite all that, it sucks just fine, after cleaning it up.
Like you, I was amazed at the parts prices - the best prices were from Dyson themselves for the bits it needs (still haven't fixed it...) except for the hose. 3rd party there. It also needs the catch on the bottom of the dust bin replace, otherwise it dumps if you don't hold the bottom when you pull it. That part is not available separately, except from a guy in GB who salvages Dysons. You have to buy a whole new dustbin. I'll either buy it for a few pounds from that guy, or 3D print it when I get a printer.

Cojawfee posted:

My mom got a Dyson and it's ok but the hose on it is garbage. It wants to collapse back and you have to use it with the really long plastic tube. So I'm trying to get this 2-3 foot long tube into where I need it while the hose is yanking on the other end trying to get back to the vacuum. It's like the guy figured out a cool way to do a vacuum motor but they didn't do any usage testing.

That right there is what I mean about the hose. It's stupid and annoying.

BigPaddy posted:

Replaced all the carpet in my house with hardwood. If you want carpet under foot somewhere use a rug or something.

I replaced most of the carpet in my house with bare concrete. Haven't got around to installing the hardwood/tile yet.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

It's like the guy figured out a cool way to do a vacuum motor but they didn't do any usage testing.

engineers.txt (read-only)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Darchangel posted:

They are hilariously overbuilt - The AvE on one of the devices was interesting.

Yeah, and I wasn't making GBS threads on Torx bits. Just the amount but the drat thing was overbuilt with twenty of them. But in retrospect I appreciate the effort.

In other words, no sweating your nads off when you try to separate a plastic clip that's been exposed to temps and hoping it doesn't break.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My Dyson had failed too many times and I was tired of fixing it, and the Miele price point seemed ridiculous since I have hardwood floors, so I went with a Shark and it's been great.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
achewood still fuckin sucks stop posting it goons

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

BraveUlysses posted:

I'll tell you what fuckin' sucks is my dyson D40. It sucks things out of the carpet better than the vacuum we had before it. It also sucks because the goddamn $2 plastic u-clip that holds the head onto the body has broken twice in 5 years, rendering a $200 vacuum useless until it's replaced.

Our next vacuum will not be a dyson.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

it's got about a 9:1 miss:hit ratio yeah

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

stealie72 posted:

I'll tell you what fuckin' sucks is my dyson D40. It sucks things out of the carpet better than the vacuum we had before it. It also sucks because the goddamn $2 plastic u-clip that holds the head onto the body has broken twice in 5 years, rendering a $200 vacuum useless until it's replaced.

Our next vacuum will not be a dyson.

doesnt it come with a 5 year warranty? i think i had to replace the same thing on my dc41 ANIMAL at the 3 year mark and its been good since

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I got a Hoover WindTunnel upright bagless for $88 nearly 5 years ago and it's still going strong. I just got a big rigid shop vac for shop vacuum needs and I'm pretty happy with it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

This seems like a good time to complain about Roomba - we have a 980, and it hasn't been that impressive. It does get dirt off the floor, but several plastic pieces have broken (so it's now got structural duct tape), and it's really bad at returning to it's charger. The battery declined fairly quickly, too.

We only got it because the Neato went back to the store because it kept finding phantom table legs to circle around everywhere, and was tall enough (and unaware of it) to wedge the camera turret stuck under the bed - and we only got the Neato because the really old Samsung robovac was finally worn out. Both seemed better built, though.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Computer viking posted:

This seems like a good time to complain about Roomba - we have a 980, and it hasn't been that impressive. It does get dirt off the floor, but several plastic pieces have broken (so it's now got structural duct tape), and it's really bad at returning to it's charger. The battery declined fairly quickly, too.

Huh, I've had a 980 for over two years and it's still exactly the same as when I took it out of the box.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

BraveUlysses posted:

with you 100 percent. Someone said once "it makes more sense when you're high" and they were dead wrong.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Achewood owns bones, sorry you're too old/young to understand it

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Achewood owns bones, sorry you're too old/young to understand it

I bet we're the same age, and I smoke a lot of weed when I have it, achewood just sucks.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

I bet we're the same age, and I smoke a lot of weed when I have it, achewood just sucks.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The funky thing about the hand dryer vs paper towel stuff is that it is yet another area where the research is dominated by a cross industry spat between the multi-billion dollar paper towel industry and the significantly smaller but growing hand drier industry. Hence you have shedloads of studies about how disgusting and awful hand driers are getting funding and press releases. In contrast you have a slew of other studies talking about the huge environmental impact and waste of the paper towel industry...

I'm fully expecting a slew of studies and stories about the evils of bidets to turn up after the corona epidemic going by how they have apparently been rising in popularity with the toilet paper shortages etc. Something like badly sanitised warm water pipes shoving legionnaires disease up your bum or the like.

Munin fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 15, 2020

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Horrendous waste of potable water, it is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Munin posted:

I'm fully expecting a slew of studies and stories about the evils of bidets to turn up after the corona epidemic going by how they have apparently been rising in popularity with the toilet paper shortages etc. Something like badly sanitised warm water pipes shoving legionnaires disease up your bum or the like.

That's pretty plausible actually, considering Italy mandates all bathrooms have a bidet and they were the first OH gently caress DIS IS BAD country when the pandemic started.

That low hanging fruit is dangling there, waiting for some conspiracy nut to capitalize on it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Munin posted:

The funky thing about the hand dryer vs paper towel stuff is that it is yet another area where the research is dominated by a cross industry spat between the multi-billion dollar paper towel industry and the significantly smaller but growing hand drier industry. Hence you have shedloads of studies about how disgusting and awful hand driers are getting funding and press releases. In contrast you have a slew of other studies talking about the huge impact and waste of the paper towel industry...

Clearly what we need is to bring back those old cloth towel loops, they're washable and reusable and they don't spray e. coli directly up your child's nostrils.

Also they don't inevitably leave you with still-wet hands that you then have to dry on your pants.

E: and the first google result, I'm on to something: http://www.dberkhoudtarchitect.com/2012/03/new-research-proves-cloth-roll-towel-systems-crt-more-hygienic-than-air-dryers/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

xzzy posted:

That low hanging fruit is dangling there

Well no that's why you have the bidet

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Also why you have the cloth towel loop

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Who is going to maintain the cloth towel loop? Does it prevent lovely people from just reversing the loop when it gets to the end?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

corgski posted:

Also they don't inevitably leave you with still-wet hands that you then have to dry on your pants.

Blowing germs everywhere is certainly a concern but this is the real problem with those dryers. A hand dryer that doesn't actually dry hands is not really a dryer in the first place.

Horrible engineering failure?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Someone just needs to have marketing that you should wipe your hands on the top part of your socks.
Its natures napkin, thats what its for.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Galler posted:

Blowing germs everywhere is certainly a concern but this is the real problem with those dryers. A hand dryer that doesn't actually dry hands is not really a dryer in the first place.

Horrible engineering failure?

I've tended to find that many people just tend to rush hand drying whether by dryer or towel. The number of times I've heard people complain about hand dryers in offices and it turns out that they essentially just briefly keep their hands under it. That why the supposed benefit of being able to blow off all the water in one pass was supposed to be the USP of the Dyson.

It's funny with towels you tend to get less complaints but damp door-handles still tell their own story.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The door handles are damp because I use the towel to open the door in the case of the "I didn't piss on my hands so why would I wash them" people touching the door handle. Also the people who turn the water on, run their hands under it for one second and then leave.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Who is going to maintain the cloth towel loop? Does it prevent lovely people from just reversing the loop when it gets to the end?
They have one way bearings of ratchets, and the end of the roll is marked (to prevent double use) yeah. They're more people-hours intensive (swapping and laundering rolls) so almost nobody uses them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Door handles.

That, right there, is a huge mechanical failure in bathrooms. Public bathroom doors that cannot be operated with your foot (at least while exiting) should fail health code and be ripped out.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Munin posted:

The Totos just heat the normal (cold) water coming from the pipes, and it doesn't seem to be an issue in Japan

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

The Totos just heat the normal (cold) water coming from the pipes, and it doesn't seem to be an issue in Japan

Yeah, bidets are cool.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Cojawfee posted:

It wraps around continuously, the towel forgets the germs by the time it comes back around.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

evil_bunnY posted:

They have one way bearings of ratchets, and the end of the roll is marked (to prevent double use) yeah. They're more people-hours intensive (swapping and laundering rolls) so almost nobody uses them.

We had them when I was an apprentice mechanic, and yeah they took a bit of work (that I did, as the apprentice) and we paid a company to come and swap them out, but they were still the best way to dry your hands I've ever encountered.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So last page chat about Dyson hand dryers...

Work ripped them out of the employee restrooms and put in more typical air dryers (but put them way too low, so you have to bend over to use them).

Snapped a quick pic of a disassembled one. Came out kinda blurry. :smith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What kind of loving half assed race series is that? Is it in a third world country? Christ.

Also I have a Dyson that's like 15 years old and it still works perfectly, money well spent :colbert:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What kind of loving half assed race series is that? Is it in a third world country? Christ.

Also I have a Dyson that's like 15 years old and it still works perfectly, money well spent :colbert:

It was apparently in the Dominican Republic. https://www.thedrive.com/news/31011/watch-a-racing-driver-survive-an-unbelievable-crash-that-split-honda-civic-apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

reminds me of mid-engine that have a tendency to split in half

but it happened in the front lol.