Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Mulaney Power Move posted:

drat you really gotta shout if one dude is on the other end of that bridge.

The bridge sets are huge and sprawling in nuTrek because it's conducive to spinning, rotating, and handheld shots. Old show sets were notoriously smaller than they looked on TV so you could fit several people in frame and have fixed and reverse shots with them still being identifiable, along with pull focus and a lot of other composition language that's out of fashion. But if you have circle strafing lens flare shots with people yelling at each other and running to get in each others faces to yell some more that's more dramatic and mature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
If Picard season 2 has him team up with shatner a la The Return, the last 30 years will have all been worth it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I hope every episode of Picard season 2 starts with him casually breaking or smashing a prop that was important to Picard in TNG. Like at the beginning of one episode he picks up the flute from The Inner Light and just breaks it in half and drops the pieces and then breaks the fourth wall looks into the camera and flips the audience the bird and it's totally uncommented on.

I'd still watch every episode

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Breakfast All Day posted:

The bridge sets are huge and sprawling in nuTrek because it's conducive to spinning, rotating, and handheld shots. Old show sets were notoriously smaller than they looked on TV so you could fit several people in frame and have fixed and reverse shots with them still being identifiable, along with pull focus and a lot of other composition language that's out of fashion. But if you have circle strafing lens flare shots with people yelling at each other and running to get in each others faces to yell some more that's more dramatic and mature.

Wow it's almost like the realities of budget and time constraints breeds creativity and encourages innovation.

Can't have that in nu-trek when we've gotta spend that giant prestige TV budget.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

:hai: Star Trek should be done with TNG production values and then every extra cent put into ever more intricate and elaborate spaceships and pew pews

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I don't know what you mean by extra cent, Picard at least wishes it could aspire to TNG season 1 and 2 production values. They either had the budget of a cable access show or 80% of it got funneled up a producer's nose.

Everything in that show looks like the poo poo they fished out of a community theatre troupe's tickle trunk, the actors' own clothes they wore to work that day, and the discount page at Shutterstock.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

I don't know what you mean by extra cent, Picard at least wishes it could aspire to TNG season 1 and 2 production values. They either had the budget of a cable access show or 80% of it got funneled up a producer's nose.

Everything in that show looks like the poo poo they fished out of a community theatre troupe's tickle trunk, the actors' own clothes they wore to work that day, and the discount page at Shutterstock.

for those who haven't seen this yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLCxAJdCZGg

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Oh my God this makes me so god drat angry gently caress Star Trek

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I get the feeling tv writers now also are in a bubble where none of them have ever had a normal job so they can’t envision or identify with the office workplace that TNG essentially was. They’re more familiar with stupid military tropes and people dramatically yelling at each other so that’s what goes in the tv show: a recycled vomit of American military drama mixed with some teen romance drama. Also torture of living beings because American military dramas are all really, really obsessed with the question of “what if torture good??”

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I want to say I'm surprised, but I'm not. I'm just very disappointed :sigh:.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

I remember thinking the beacon vision FMV in Mass Effect was kind of lovely production value with the 90s distortion/shearing/blending of 2d concept art. Somehow a prestige TV show made 13 years later did worse while ripping that off.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

stop calling it a prestige show and maybe people will stop making them

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Breakfast All Day posted:

I remember thinking the beacon vision FMV in Mass Effect was kind of lovely production value with the 90s distortion/shearing/blending of 2d concept art. Somehow a prestige TV show made 13 years later did worse while ripping that off.

It at least looked visceral and disturbing with the live-action model shots rather than straight CGI, and you never felt good about having to re-experience it. The Admonition is just REALLY hoping nobody played the first half-hour of Mass Effect.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because Patrick Stewart's an old man and there's a non-zero chance he dies before the show does, or at least ages very noticeably.

Also I'm betting hard there's a specific reason the season ends that way; So they can rip off Mass Effect 2 for season 2. Where he'll have to work with the Tal Shiar, for ~reasons~, and Starfleet won't trust him because he's a Synth and maybe isn't like the old Picard and might have a Synth Agenda so he can't be trusted and has to work with his former enemies to Get The Job Done and :barf:.
More like the Tali Shiar

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

All you guys conplaining about the size of the sets are crazy. I mean I get you don't like all the crazy angles (but just lol if you think TOS wouldn't have done something like that if they could have), but you really want your actors just sitting around in a tiny round box for half the show?

Actors hate that sort of stuff, it sucks all the energy out of their performances when their physicality is limited for long stretches at a time.

I will grant that the Discovery bridge isn't necessarily the best use of their ability to make a bigger set.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 16, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Tighclops, why don't you make a nu-Trek hate thread in Sci-fi WiFi? That way you can be as negative and snippy as you want, and people who want to roll around in the same very possibly accurate complaints, can do so without being interrupted yourselves?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Actors hate that sort of stuff, it sucks all the energy out of their performances when their physicality is limited for long stretches at a time.
oh is that why we got Aerobics Troi & Crusher?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Tighclops, why don't you make a nu-Trek hate thread in Sci-fi WiFi? That way you can be as negative and snippy as you want, and people who want to roll around in the same very possibly accurate complaints, can do so without being interrupted yourselves?

I don't know if you've noticed but we also have plenty of other threads where lots of people (who aren't me) talk about what they don't like about nu-Trek, but if you like you can go right ahead and I might pop in if I have something to contribute

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
There's a Picard thread in GBS for hating Nu-Trek. This thread is for loving old trek (and also hating nu-trek sometimes if it comes up organically in conversation).

Just watched the salt vampire episode of TOS with my daughters. They didn't cry or anything >: (

When I was little and I saw the salt monster, it made me cry. Kids today are too desensitized by the media.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Drink-Mix Man posted:

All you guys conplaining about the size of the sets are crazy. I mean I get you don't like all the crazy angles (but just lol if you think TOS wouldn't have done something like that if they could have)

Actually I do think that's a uniquely lame development of modern cinematography. Older eras had theirs but lol if you think that the passage of time necessarily equals superior evolution of artistic conventions.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
TBH Voyager's bridge was also a vast cavernous expanse of nothing for seemingly no real reason

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Applewhite posted:

There's a Picard thread in GBS for hating Nu-Trek. This thread is for loving old trek (and also hating nu-trek sometimes if it comes up organically in conversation).

Just watched the salt vampire episode of TOS with my daughters. They didn't cry or anything >: (

When I was little and I saw the salt monster, it made me cry. Kids today are too desensitized by the media.

When I saw that episode as a little kid I didn't cry but it scared the poo poo out of me. They had a shot of it in the credits randomly too and I used to get unreasonably anxious seeing the credits, not knowing if it would suddenly appear.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

infernal machines posted:

When I saw that episode as a little kid I didn't cry but it scared the poo poo out of me. They had a shot of it in the credits randomly too and I used to get unreasonably anxious seeing the credits, not knowing if it would suddenly appear.

Lol, me too. The salt vampire is one of the gently caress-ugliest things I've ever seen and that remains true to this day.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The salt monster never did anything for me but I used to occasionally have nightmares as a kid where Armus would pop up from the bottom of my bed

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Tighclops posted:

The salt monster never did anything for me but I used to occasionally have nightmares as a kid where Armus would pop up from the bottom of my bed

From the rotten pool of abused gym socks you were stashing under there?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

McSpanky posted:

Actually I do think that's a uniquely lame development of modern cinematography. Older eras had theirs but lol if you think that the passage of time necessarily equals superior evolution of artistic conventions.

Well, I'm not saying anything one way or the other about the quality of the DISCO cinematography, except to say it's my personal hunch TOS would have employed some pretty wacky cinematography itself if it had the means.

Personally, I'd like to see Discover season 3 take the opportunity to introduce some big sets that have a reason to be big, as in visually representing the immensity and sophistication of the super-future starships. Not everything has to be submarines.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Tighclops posted:

:same: with Armus

That was the first time I had ever seen a main character get taken out like that in a TV show, and Yar was one of my favorite characters because she owned.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I used to have not quite nightmares but freaky dreams about the Borg assimilating my little town or whatever when I was in grade school.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It at least looked visceral and disturbing with the live-action model shots rather than straight CGI, and you never felt good about having to re-experience it. The Admonition is just REALLY hoping nobody played the first half-hour of Mass Effect.

Disagree. It looked cheap and lame.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nagilum was what did it for me, that thing was insanely creepy.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Nagilum was what did it for me, that thing was insanely creepy.

The helmsman who died should have gotten an emmy for that death scene. It looks silly in the gif but played out fully on screen it is probably one of TNG's most unsettling deaths.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Everything about that episode was scary as poo poo, like the random sounds in the weirdly lit corridors of the "Yamato"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Every drama nerds dream shot

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Early TNG was awesome with presenting eerie, dangerous, "risk is our business" style encounters. And they weren't afraid to show gore, either.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Early TNG was awesome with presenting eerie, dangerous, "risk is our business" style encounters. And they weren't afraid to show gore, either.

Early TNG was probably the most gory of all Star tracks

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Early TNG was probably the most gory of all Star tracks

Voyager had a lot more plot gore though.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

mycomancy posted:

Voyager had a lot more plot gore though.

DS9 had more Thot Gor though

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tighclops posted:

Everything about that episode was scary as poo poo, like the random sounds in the weirdly lit corridors of the "Yamato"

the scariest part was the end where picard rationalized about how maybe the malevolent alien who kills for sport and killed his helmsman right in front of him wasn't so bad after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the scariest part was the end where picard rationalized about how maybe the malevolent alien who kills for sport and killed his helmsman right in front of him wasn't so bad after all.

He wasn’t killing for sport though. He was basically just a scientist. Surely Picard isn’t happy about the olden days where scientists would do poo poo to rats, but but I don’t think he would consider the scientist evil. This is the guy who considered firing on the crystalline entity as a horrible last resort, and that thing eats people a planet at a time. and he was pissed as gently caress when Old Lady exploded it.