Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ccs posted:

It seemed like very light imperialism to me. Like, the way Falcrest takes over Baru's homeland seems so much more modern-day technocratic and less bloody than historical imperialism.

Did you miss the thousands dead from disease or directly slaughtered while Baru was in school?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

What about the thought police running reeducation camps?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Or the fact that Baru herself basically was in a Rez School where girls were raped into being straight?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I suspect what gives Ccs that impression is that the Masquerade isn't much beyond 19th-century-imperialism levels of evil, at least on the surface. They're not the blowing-up-planets kind of evil a lot of SF readers expect.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
They put a nice mask on it (as opposed to the Portuguese, who would literally hang your elders from the masttops and then send a boatful of severed heads ashore, or demand to be repaid for the powder and shot they'd spent leveling your town). But you pretty much end up in the same place.

I don't like exactly copying historical circumstances, because real colonizations are always specific and part of a real people's history, and you don't want to just lift that for your fantasy novel. It's also tricky to strike a balance between portraying what actually happened in history and what modern readers find credible—not only was colonialism incredibly barbaric, to a level that would read as comically evil today (many reviewers said this anyway about Baru's villains), but general norms about the value of human life and the sanctity of individual freedom were either different or absent.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Yeah, that's part of why I found Baru so drat dark - it was too plausible that it could be some random set of islands the British ran into and had fun with. And I know Baru aims to take it down from the inside (I think) but the whole... everything....

god

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I'm a bit bummed the only Dickinson I've seen on my local (northern Finnish) book store English paperbacks shelf has been Monster (Baru Cormorant), while the Traitor on in the normal fashion I have never seen there. Not the only multi-part series this has happened with. Have to put it on some of my online orders I guess.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lunsku posted:

I'm a bit bummed the only Dickinson I've seen on my local (northern Finnish) book store English paperbacks shelf has been Monster (Baru Cormorant), while the Traitor on in the normal fashion I have never seen there. Not the only multi-part series this has happened with. Have to put it on some of my online orders I guess.

Ah, that's a guarantee for my local bookstores, used or new: there will NEVER be #1 in a series I'm interested in. Sometimes I have started series purely on the strength of their cover art + summary - I bought #3 in the Charles Gannon Caine series and had to go home and order 1+2 used.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I have to say that I absolutely love the first bit of Monster, but I'm not exactly sure how to describe why. Other than it gave me that same feeling I get when big corporations are shocked and appalled when their own bad behavior actually comes back and gets them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I still haven't even read Monster! I bought the ebook ages ago, but I'll want to reread Traitor first and that is some heavy going.

I may wait for Tyrant, since IIRC GB said that Monster + Tyrant were originally meant to be a single book, then hit up my recommendations for something cozy to read as a chaser and burn through all three.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Baru 1 at first reminded me of Ian R Macleod's Breathmoss. Then Baru 1 turned into a above-average Crusader Kings 2 novelization where the focal character was a steward/secret agent instead of a ruler.
Both things worked for me.

Charles Stross released his short story collection Toast under a Creative Commons license. The first short story in it, Antibodies, is the basis for Stross's Singularity Skies universe and also pretty much where I see his Laundry Files series eventually going.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm looking for some unusual or darker nautical/piratical fiction, along the lines of On Stranger Tides, Nathan Ballingrud's "Butcher's Table", or Michel Bernanos's "The Other Side of the Mountain". I have a feeling there's not a lot out there like the latter two, but really any fantasy/sf/horror flavored would be good. I just played Return of the Obra Dinn and honestly even as silly as the whole idea is, I love any kind of fiction that plays along those lines. Any recommendations?

(and before you say it, Hieronymous-- a friend's gonna lend me the first Aubrey/Maturin novel in the next couple of weeks here)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Have you read The Scar by China Mieville.

Also The Terror by Dan "Flashback" Simmons.

e: if you're willing to go Cold War, Fire Lance by David Mace, it's like The Hunt for Red October from hell.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Have you read The Scar by China Mieville.

Also The Terror by Dan "Flashback" Simmons.

e: if you're willing to go Cold War, Fire Lance by David Mace, it's like The Hunt for Red October from hell.

I have read Scar and The Terror, yes! I forgot about Scar and might just re-read that. Honestly I might never re-read The Terror now that the AMC show exists, IMO it cut so much dumb chaff and fixed a lot of the book's worst Simmons-isms that it sort of made the book not worth reading for me.

I'll take a look at Fire Lance, thanks!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
It's less horror and more spooky ghost pirate adventures, but here's a story about fantasy pearl divers: http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/breathless-in-the-deep/

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm looking for some unusual or darker nautical/piratical fiction, along the lines of On Stranger Tides, Nathan Ballingrud's "Butcher's Table", or Michel Bernanos's "The Other Side of the Mountain". I have a feeling there's not a lot out there like the latter two, but really any fantasy/sf/horror flavored would be good. I just played Return of the Obra Dinn and honestly even as silly as the whole idea is, I love any kind of fiction that plays along those lines. Any recommendations?

(and before you say it, Hieronymous-- a friend's gonna lend me the first Aubrey/Maturin novel in the next couple of weeks here)

The Chartrand voyage
4 book series and one of the more special series I have read.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ah, that's a guarantee for my local bookstores, used or new: there will NEVER be #1 in a series I'm interested in. Sometimes I have started series purely on the strength of their cover art + summary - I bought #3 in the Charles Gannon Caine series and had to go home and order 1+2 used.

This is how Eric Flint sold Baen on the initial concept of the Free Library: if all book stores have is the third volume in a series, nobody who didn't but the first two will buy it. Give away the first one or two and you now have a customer for 4, 5, 6... The participating authors reported solid boosts to sales of their back library, so giving stuff away can in fact make you more money.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I read City In The Middle Of The Night this week.

I loved the world, the idea, and the some of the characters. Unfortunately, the main character is incapable of making a good decision, ever, and it infuriated me.

Anyone else read it?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Also (City in the middle of the Night spoilers) the reveal that "the invention" was a book of poetry extremely irked me because it felt like the author had decided on calling it "the invention", then decided what it was going to be, then decided not to rename it. There was zero reason it should have been called that and it never came up. I honestly thought "is this copy of the book messed up?"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

There's an anthology of maritime horror stories edited by Ellen Datlow, The Devil and the Deep. Quality varies pretty wildly but it has a couple of good ones.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 16, 2020

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

The bone ships by r j barker - dark fantasy naval war in ships made of leviathan bone, where the ability to make new ships has been lost.

It was in one of the on sale posts this week

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

branedotorg posted:

The bone ships by r j barker - dark fantasy naval war in ships made of leviathan bone, where the ability to make new ships has been lost.

It was in one of the on sale posts this week

If you like the Aubrey/Maturin books you’ll probably like this one (and vice versa).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Nightrider by David Mace wrecked me. It was so good and creative and dark, and I want to read the rest of his ouevre but also god no

Nightrider got me by portraying space war, but in a kind of... realistic way? It felt like Apollo 13 (the movie), with the attention to technical detail and "realistic" tech. You don't really see that in sci-fi much, imo, as it tends to go star trek, and doesn't feel "realistic" or "heavy". Using quotation marks because that's not quite right but eh. It's the feel of the thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MockingQuantum posted:

?

My work is done here

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
The new murderbot was intensely satisfying and I am delighted to have finished it. I had some lingering unhappiness with the previous one but this one completely blew it out of the water.

highlights were definitely the awful scene of the poor secunit who was left to stand there and die helplessly, ART absolutely losing its poo poo and threatening to essentially nuke the colony, and just actually ART and Murderbot interacting in general.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Nightrider by David Mace wrecked me. It was so good and creative and dark, and I want to read the rest of his ouevre but also god no

Nightrider got me by portraying space war, but in a kind of... realistic way? It felt like Apollo 13 (the movie), with the attention to technical detail and "realistic" tech. You don't really see that in sci-fi much, imo, as it tends to go star trek, and doesn't feel "realistic" or "heavy". Using quotation marks because that's not quite right but eh. It's the feel of the thing.

Nightrider is great. The scene of the ship looping over a barren planet searching for some tiny speck of human life (to destroy) is pure 80s nightmare. You can just imagine the wireframe images of the planet's surface scrolling past.

I think one really good thing about the 'space is cold and vast' approach is that it makes characters' decision to separate seem really consequential and dangerous. It's hard to imagine anyone ever finding their way back together in all that nothingness.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Wow i'm reading the Traitor Baru right now and really enjoying it, had no idea the author was a goon!! Thanks for this good book.

I feel like I check this thread every 2-3 months, add a bunch of books to my reading list, forget to read any of them due to real life, and then come back for more. So thanks for the Gideon the 9th rec way back when thread, it was great and I can't wait for Harrow despite the delay. Also, I would like to delve deeper into cyberpunk - any recs or thread favorites? Neuromancer is one of my favorite books (i know, how original), i've read snow crash and a few others along the way, but would love some recs for other stuff to check out!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Iron Lung posted:

Wow i'm reading the Traitor Baru right now and really enjoying it, had no idea the author was a goon!! Thanks for this good book.

I feel like I check this thread every 2-3 months, add a bunch of books to my reading list, forget to read any of them due to real life, and then come back for more. So thanks for the Gideon the 9th rec way back when thread, it was great and I can't wait for Harrow despite the delay. Also, I would like to delve deeper into cyberpunk - any recs or thread favorites? Neuromancer is one of my favorite books (i know, how original), i've read snow crash and a few others along the way, but would love some recs for other stuff to check out!

maaan I gotta read more cyberpunk so I can give you recs instead of "here's what I want to read" sigh. anyways:

Synners by Pat Cadigan is weird 90s cyberpunk that I want to read
Trouble and her Friends by Melissa scott is weird 90s lesbian cyberpunk that I want to read
Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams is weird 80s cyberpunk by a really fascinating author (that I want to read)
Shockwave Rider by John Brunner is 70s cyberpunk about a society in decline, and a man who changes identities frequently. I've read the first third? or so of it and loved it.
River of Gods by Ian McDonald is 2000s cyberpunk set in India, and it follows a lot of people in a complicated plot and I really liked the prose but dropped it because ??? reasons. I want to get back to it.

and then finally:

Halting State by Charles Stross is a wild second person pov cyberpunk about an MMO being hacked. It presents a very optimistic view of the future, which is funny as Stross is usually cited as an accurate prophet - and I mean he is, with the amount of surveillance going on and how VR could work - but yeah. I really enjoyed this one, but be warned that the main character is your usual nerd, which is really boring.

Starfish by Peter Watts is apparently cyberpunk? You weird, goodreads. But I have read this one at least three times and it's dark as hell. It's about cyborgs at the bottom of the ocean doing maintenance work on a power station, and they're all psychologically broken. The two sequels might be more cyberpunk, I haven't read them yet.

Gridlinked by Neal Asher is not cyberpunk, so goodreads is definitely drunk here. It's a stupid grimdark future thriller with aliens and One Competent Man With A Gun and I enjoyed it but it's a firm 3/5 stars book, as it's so bad at certain things: women, empathy, writing characters you care about.... but hell, the alien dragon thing was cool and the action is gory.

"i love cyberpunk" says woman who never actually reads it

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I would kinda recommend against the Starfish sequels, especially the third one (split in half, but essentially all one book). They get extremely gross.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Iron Lung posted:

Also, I would like to delve deeper into cyberpunk - any recs or thread favorites? Neuromancer is one of my favorite books (i know, how original), i've read snow crash and a few others along the way, but would love some recs for other stuff to check out!

Read the next two in the Gibson's Sprawl trilogy, Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I would kinda recommend against the Starfish sequels, especially the third one (split in half, but essentially all one book). They get extremely gross.

That sucks. Gross in what way?

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

coolusername posted:

The new murderbot was intensely satisfying and I am delighted to have finished it. I had some lingering unhappiness with the previous one but this one completely blew it out of the water.

highlights were definitely the awful scene of the poor secunit who was left to stand there and die helplessly, ART absolutely losing its poo poo and threatening to essentially nuke the colony, and just actually ART and Murderbot interacting in general.

Those were some definite highlights for me too. When I started encountering the excerpts from the helpme file I wondered where that was going, up until the very last sentence in the addendum. One of the many things I admire about those books is the way they wander along and then occasionally nail me to the wall with a single sentence.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

StrixNebulosa posted:

They're just extremely dark. Watts is a pessimist about things like human consciousness, whether we really make choices, technological solutions to problems, and human liberty.

that being said I liked them and think they worth reading just.. dark.

You can always alternate Brin and Watts, and you get Canadian optimism and then Canadian pessimism Scifi. Like uh.. two things that alternate.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Iron Lung posted:

Also, I would like to delve deeper into cyberpunk - any recs or thread favorites? Neuromancer is one of my favorite books (i know, how original), i've read snow crash and a few others along the way, but would love some recs for other stuff to check out!

Some unmentioned ones:

George Alec Effinger's When Gravity Fails from 1987 has its cyberpunk set in middle eastern, islamic future, and I remember enjoying it a lot when reading the translation in 90s. Really should try to pick it up again, plus the follow up novels.

Bruce Sterling's Artificial Kid from 1980 is sort of proto-cyberpunk and worth checking out I recall. But more than that I'd suggest finding Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology from 1986 edited by him, which is a solid collection from the formative years of the genre with Gibson, Cadigan, Sterling, and others present.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Hey, this isn't the right place per se but y'all might have done the same thing and know: for the first, like... five or six tor free ebooks, I downloaded them on my phone to my kindle app. I accidentally saved them to my kindle app directly instead of to my kindle library, so they aren't going to be synced up. I finally ordered an actual Kindle, so I want to make sure everything will transfer over. Anybody know how to get ebooks out of the local app so I can send them to the library? Is that even possible?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Not because of this, which is just generally Wattsy:

pseudanonymous posted:

They're just extremely dark. Watts is a pessimist about things like human consciousness, whether we really make choices, technological solutions to problems, and human liberty.

that being said I liked them and think they worth reading just.. dark.

You can always alternate Brin and Watts, and you get Canadian optimism and then Canadian pessimism Scifi. Like uh.. two things that alternate.

But because of (sexual violence cw, it's pretty intense!) one of the characters is secretly a serial killer and holds another very sympathetic character prisoner for chapter after chapter of graphic torture rape. The rest of the cast comes within a few feet of rescuing the prisoner, but, assuming she's dead, abandons her to die alone. Which she does.

I would prefer to not have read it, all in all.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

General Battuta posted:

But because of (sexual violence cw, it's pretty intense!) one of the characters is secretly a serial killer and holds another very sympathetic character prisoner for chapter after chapter of graphic torture rape. The rest of the cast comes within a few feet of rescuing the prisoner, but, assuming she's dead, abandons her to die alone. Which she does.

And here I thought the Donaldson space trilogy was dark.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

General Battuta posted:

:sigh:

God that's dark even for Watts

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

None of his other books have crossed the line from enjoyably bleak to aversively bleak for me, but I think the combination of the very realistic violence/helplessness and the avoidably tragic end really got to me with that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lunsku posted:

Some unmentioned ones:

George Alec Effinger's When Gravity Fails from 1987 has its cyberpunk set in middle eastern, islamic future, and I remember enjoying it a lot when reading the translation in 90s. Really should try to pick it up again, plus the follow up novels.

I re-read that a couple of years ago, I'd say it still holds up. Consider it recommended.