Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

TwoPair posted:

The Dog Called Scooby-Doo and Norville Rogers' Grave are good side series

mdct posted:

Personally I liked The Blood Spray of Frederick Jones the most myself outta those.

With that naming convention, it seems like there's room for 1 or 2 more after Velma Dinkley's Glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Mokinokaro posted:

Gravity Falls' biggest problem was the showrunner burning out due to the stress of it being his first major project.

Alex Hirsch was fairly public online about the personal problems he was having making the show. Like he originally planned a three season run (it's obvious where the split was supposed to be in the season two we got) but cut it to two because he wasn't sure if he could keep at it that long.

Nah, Gravity Falls was never intended to have three seasons-what happened was that Hirsch was so burnt out at the end of the first season that he nearly quit (and creative partner Michael Rianda straight up did), and had to be convinced to come back for one more season to wrap it up. As it stood they had an incredibly hard time coming up with a satisfying way to wrap everything up, since despite all appearences nothing was actually planned with the exception of Stan having a twin brother.

(If anyone hasn't listened to the Gravity Falls Blu-Ray commentaries I really recommend them, they're super interesting and have all kinds of production details. Also lots of stories that involve "So we worked until 4am and I slept in my office")

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
"Robot Riot" from Phineas and Ferb is a brilliant song. It's almost a shame so much is going on that most people miss the lyrics.

Personal favourite: "I'll rip out your CPU and show it to you still processing."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Also re: Star Vs, I personally liked it (Even the ending!), but in retrospect it effectively peaked at the beginning of Season 3 with the Battle for Mewni. Toffee was a great, menacing, and intelligent vilian who acted as a great foil for both Star and Ludo, and once he was gone the show lost a ton of momentum. It didn't help either that as the relationship plotline came into the forefront, it also started going backwards with Tom and Star getting back together and Marco spending the bulk of the next season and a half pining. There were still a ton of individually great episodes (Deep Dive and Booth Buddies spring to mind in particular), but the lack of a clear threat or compelling vilian really killed a lot of the driving focus for the back half of the series, which is really unfortunate since it had so much potential. (Though obviously I do think it's still worth watching and recommend it despite that).

(Also I do understand why they did it but man the way they resolved the blood moon was a real cop-out.)

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I never saw that, but I recognize the green guy from ads. I think maybe it was on before I started watching on-air TV.

Bump In The Night started off as the commercial bumpers for ABC's Saturday morning cartoons before getting its own show in 1996.

If you enjoy stop-motion then I heartily recommend diving into it. (Likewise I'm going to check out The Trap Door)

Best eps:
All You Need Is Glove
Night Of The Living Bread
Party Poopers
Gum Crazy
Farewell 2 Arms
'Twas the Night Before Bumpy (The Christmas special)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

drrockso20 posted:

So I mentioned that the Scooby-Doo Encyclopedia only gives profiles to a couple guest stars, well some of the villain profiles do mention others, but it's kinda weird, some are directly referenced by name like the Three Stooges or Jeannie, while others like the Addams Family are only referenced indirectly

Also it's funny looking back on the period where it was just Scooby, Shaggy, and Scrappy cause they encountered a lot of real monsters, and that continued into the period where Daphne rejoined too, which made the Red Shirt Shaggy Movies not really all that weird in retrospect, also kinda makes the marketing for Zombie Island kinda a bold faced lie, cause they had in fact encountered quite a few real monsters prior to that one

I'd imagine it depends on who they can get the rights to cheap or otherwise reference without paying to pay licensing fees.

The Supernatural crossover is a fun one, given the supernatural is entirely new to them in that too, but it makes sense because the premise is that Sam, Dean and Castiel are dropped into a specific first series episode. Shaggy also mentions how strange it is for him to that he actually takes a serious injury given all the ridiculous things he's gotten through without a scratch.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Toffee was a great villain conceptually, but I don't think there was much substance underneath. There's no particular reason why he knows all the things he knows, and I don't think he ever really has much in the way of his own motivation. In the first season, they really made his thing being the "mean adult" which really didn't have much of a place after Star stopped goofing around all the time.

Heinous in theory made a better foil since she was more about the meaningless rules and order of the establishment that more directly clashed with Star's philosophy, but when she turned into a giant monster bent on taking over the kingdom, that wasn't really being a foil to Star so much as a generic threat.

Although maybe what matters more than the style of the bad guys is just how Star grows as a person from the random threats she faces. Which was part of what disappointed me about the ending wasn't just magic ending, it was the fact that despite fully rejecting the old order, Star never really found a new place for herself in the world.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Come And See posted:

Bump In The Night started off as the commercial bumpers for ABC's Saturday morning cartoons before getting its own show in 1996.

If you enjoy stop-motion then I heartily recommend diving into it. (Likewise I'm going to check out The Trap Door)

Best eps:
All You Need Is Glove
Night Of The Living Bread
Party Poopers
Gum Crazy
Farewell 2 Arms
'Twas the Night Before Bumpy (The Christmas special)

Man, to be a kid in the 90s, see something on TV once, want more of it, and have no way to get any more of it. Week after week, you try to track down that weird claymation show with the green guy and the blue guy, but to no avail. You can't even remember the name of it. It's like it never existed. 23 years later, some rando on the internet just drops a bunch of YouTube links for you and it all comes flooding back.

Imagine living life like that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Although maybe what matters more than the style of the bad guys is just how Star grows as a person from the random threats she faces. Which was part of what disappointed me about the ending wasn't just magic ending, it was the fact that despite fully rejecting the old order, Star never really found a new place for herself in the world.

I did like the scene where Star makes that decision, and as she's ranting about how all the damage the current order has done to the multiverse all the bar patrons are just like "Hear hear!"

https://youtu.be/boDlja-DkQI?t=18

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly it's generally best to ignore the last season of Star Vs, as it did more bad than good

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The best thing to come out of Seasons 3/4 of Star was Eclipsa, and more specifically, this fan video.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Nah, Gravity Falls was never intended to have three seasons-what happened was that Hirsch was so burnt out at the end of the first season that he nearly quit (and creative partner Michael Rianda straight up did), and had to be convinced to come back for one more season to wrap it up. As it stood they had an incredibly hard time coming up with a satisfying way to wrap everything up, since despite all appearences nothing was actually planned with the exception of Stan having a twin brother.

(If anyone hasn't listened to the Gravity Falls Blu-Ray commentaries I really recommend them, they're super interesting and have all kinds of production details. Also lots of stories that involve "So we worked until 4am and I slept in my office")

It definitely was though, in Hirsch's original vision. The split between season 2A and 2B with Not What He Seems was originally meant to be the season finale of 2. Hirsch even mentioned wanting to do three seasons publicly at the time many times over, and I don't think anything in the commentary tracks or anywhere else contradicts this. It's just that the reality and burnout of season one hit and like you said, it took a lot of convincing from Disney to get Hirsch to do another season.

But yeah that show's production was not very healthy for most involved, least of all Hirsch. He used to mention it on Twitter, staying in the office until morning and then having to decide whether to take a quick nap or shower at the employee gym before a meeting at 10am or whatever. But that's what you get when you labor over every single script and rewrite like 80% of the dialogue to match your vision. People used to blame Disney for Gravity Falls' terrible scheduling, but the fact of the matter is, they were dealing with an incredibly troubled production that had halted between seasons and saw a very noticeable staff turnover. They couldn't air episodes when they weren't ready.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Star vs. was dead to me when they did Jackie Lynn dirty

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
She wound up ditching that loser Marco Diaz for a cool girlfriend in the end.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Senerio posted:

She wound up ditching that loser Marco Diaz for a cool girlfriend in the end.

is this fan speculation stuff or legit tho. i genuinely stopped watching after that point

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Nah, she went on holiday to France or something and met a new girl there. She introduced her in her last episode.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I was a real believer in Star Vs. when it felt like nobody outside of /co/ of all places was watching it in 2015, and I felt vindicated when the season one finale was full of intrigue and way more competently written than I expected and season two kind of looked to continue on that. It did, sort of, besides a few bum episodes, but ultimately the conclusion seemed to have a lot of potential that season three just squandered and the whole show turned into something completely different and far less entertaining.

By the time season four rolled out I was completely checked out since three's latter half was so bleh. Ultimately I did watch a few episodes and the leadup to the finale and I'll just say it: it loving sucked. It's like they completely forgot why the show was made to begin with in lieu of lovely romance subplots, thinly veiled racism analogues that fall apart if you think about them for longer than five seconds and stupid melodrama ultimately concluding in a tonedeaf and unfulfilling finale that's just mostly nonsensical. Complete with postmortem Reddit AMA answers to explain why Star didn't actually just commit genocide, as if that somehow fixes it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah they can try and butter it up, but she definitely committed genocide

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nah, she killed four people, because it turns out that the bulk of the magic in her magical world isn't actually magic.

Which also means that mewmans are at a disastrous disadvantage in the new world order now that most of their society has been devastated and they've lost most of their allies and infrastructure but still live in a world with things like maneating plants.

Also Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has started airing again, and I still love it.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
yeah and given that the AMA established that the Laser puppies were still alive, just turned into regular puppies, it seems like a chunk of the truly magical beings survived but changed into non-magical things, which in some cases could be considered equivalent to dying, like Rhombobulous was shown having turned into an inert crystal and a pair of non-sapient snakes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The genocide I was talking about is actually that of Mewmans and Humanity cause Earth has been turned into a hell world full of horrible things

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

We got a Mina Loveberry sympathiser over here

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We got a Mina Loveberry sympathiser over here

Nah it's pretty firmly her fault this all happened

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The last season of She-Ra is up btw. Catra and Adora finally admit it

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Sockser posted:

Man, to be a kid in the 90s, see something on TV once, want more of it, and have no way to get any more of it. Week after week, you try to track down that weird claymation show with the green guy and the blue guy, but to no avail. You can't even remember the name of it. It's like it never existed. 23 years later, some rando on the internet just drops a bunch of YouTube links for you and it all comes flooding back.

Imagine living life like that.

It's a pleasure and fills my heart with joy to be that rando. :glomp:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I am a big Star Vs apologist, but man, you can't essentially make the big bad to your comedy-action series an abstract concept like racism. Not that that's not a topic that can't be breached in children's media, but it's not something that makes for things like bombastic season finales. You gotta know what genre you're in and write that accordingly. At the very least, you need a good punchable face (my go to example is usually Fire Lord Ozai from ATLA but there's plenty out there) to put on it to make it so the hero can win over racism by proxy of beating the leader. Star attempts this in the finale with Mina (and to a lesser extent with Moon), but fails because Mina's a tool (and Moon's just a product of her environment/upbringing... plus you know, monsters killed her mom) of a long history of systemic racism/oppression, not the leader or creator. Star's end of destroying something systemic by smashing the system is certainly... a way of going about things, but as many have said there's just a lot of negative implications if you think too hard and overall it's not very satisfying (although deep down I'm a mushy 13 year old girl so I did like the romance angle I ain't gonna front). Real world solutions to systemic problems like racism do not have easy answers, but when you're writing magical girl fiction... well maybe they should.

That's why so many "happily ever afters" end with a scene (maybe a flash forward) to show everyone's happy now and the audience doesn't need to think too hard about how the big problems got solved, just to know that they did.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 16, 2020

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I felt like Season 3 had a few hiccups but was ultimately pretty satisfying. Ludo carried a lot of the more serious stuff, and they were in a good groove for the sillier stuff. Season 2 was definitely a peak.

Season 4 is super rough, tho. I haven't finished it, doubt I will. Just.. a lot of not fun dynamics with the characters, felt like a wall of "Eclipsa isn't liked" episodes at the start, and the Blood Moon's conclusion got my girlfriend and I to tap out super hard.

Rise of the TMNT is indeed still good. Last week's batch of episodes toned down the sakuga quite a bit, but the new dynamic with Baron Draxum is extremely good.

And speaking of Rise of hte TMNT, the new Lego show gives me a lot of that energy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIFTI_rPlj0

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TwoPair posted:

you can't essentially make the big bad to your comedy-action series racism

Wait what? I've never seen this show but how? What?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ThermoPhysical posted:

Star from Star VS The Forces of Evil is the princess of a magic kingdom, and she finds out that the kingdom is racist as gently caress against monsters and magic is just capitalism, and her princess status is due to whitewashing history a few generations ago.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ThermoPhysical posted:

The main character is a magic princess from another dimension whose society is built upon her people ("Mewmans") having a privileged position over monsters. It's kind of a slow burn for the first two/two-and-a-half seasons where you don't really get to see much of Mewman or monster society cause it mostly takes place on Earth and she's fighting against a monster bad guy, but you get stuff like a season 1 episode where she celebrates her world's version of Thanksgiving and comes to realize that the sanitized history she was always taught whitewashes her peoples' genocide of monsters and encourages racism against monsters to this day. In season 3, the focus shifts and monster-racism becomes the main focus of the show.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

While season 4 was a bit overambitious, I did like some parts of it, like when Star tries to break the ice with a ball to let Mewman's and Monsters get to know each other and of course Mina fucks everything up. There's a moment where Tom's trying to comfort Star after the fact and he's like "C'mon, you couldn't have known..." and her response is just "That's the problem - I didn't know! Mewni is broken and I don't know how to fix it!"

It had good ideas with Star trying to take on something way bigger than her, it just went a bit too easy by the end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Eh, I felt it handled some things surprisingly well despite the divisive ending; it's pretty daring with the whole solution to the fundamental issues of inequality and magic being used primarily a tool of oppression and reinforcing tthat inequality is to smash the system entirely - getting rid of the source of unearned power completely, and also recognising that prejudice and fascism as ideas will never really go away but require constant vigilance to deal with. Not to mention the very end with the merging of the worlds is treated optimistically, as basically the end of the status quo for good, and the beginning of a whole new story.

It kinda feels like they were making it up as they went along and took a while to realise what the real interesting parts of the story were, in possibly a similar case as Gravity Falls.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly to me it just felt like Nefcy wanted to be done with the show and broke her toys so Disney couldn't try to continue it without her

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I mean it was divisive, but I was one of the ones who liked the final season overall.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly to me it just felt like Nefcy wanted to be done with the show and broke her toys so Disney couldn't try to continue it without her

I actually got the impression from what she said after that she specifically made an ending that probably would've needed additional episodes (or even a whole season) afterwards to really make any sense or feel justified. I dunno if it was just a rumor or actually confirmed, but I think she wanted five seasons and Disney cut the show off at four.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BioEnchanted posted:

I mean it was divisive, but I was one of the ones who liked the final season overall.

Seasons 3 and especially 4 were my favourites, so I am completely at sea in regards to the criticism.

The original end title music was better, though.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Season 4 felt like 2 seasons smushed together, not unlike Gravity Falls. Only difference is that Gravity Falls stuck the landing much better.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

didn't see it mentioned, but avatar: TAS is back on netflix :dance:

though it would have been better if this happened when we weren't dealing with the whole pandemic thing :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love that Netflix has remembered where I left off watching the last time they had it (10 years ago?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

didn't see it mentioned, but avatar: TAS is back on netflix :dance:

though it would have been better if this happened when we weren't dealing with the whole pandemic thing :smith:

I've never watched Avatar before. I just watched the first two episodes the I don't know if it's a Netflix problem, but the animation quality was really bad. There was a lot of aliasing whenever anything moved. Does this get better? Is it just on my end?