Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Stuff like that last sentence is why I have no interest in watching these movies. I don't really want to see stuff like that. Someone said it was like Ultimatum but for DC and seems like that includes all the gross death stuff too.

Imagine the Blob eating Wasp. Now imagine it 10+ more times.

That's what JLD 2 is.

"Ultimatum but for DC" is 100% spot on to explain the gore in this movie. They ONLY did the gore just because the movie is the last in the series and they did a Flashpoint reset at the end anyway so nothing mattered.

Skwirl posted:

In a blink and you'll miss it cameo a Barbara Gordon Batgirl is dismembered by parademons. I'm just guessing it's Barbara, it's one of her costumes and she has red hair but no lines.

Yeah, it's Barbara. Didn't they de-age her or something so she's like Starfire's age or Damian's or something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, it's Barbara. Didn't they de-age her or something so she's like Starfire's age or Damian's or something like that?

Shouldn't she be the same age as however old Dick Grayson is?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Shouldn't she be the same age as however old Dick Grayson is?

The last time I saw Dick talk in these DC movies is when he was flirting with Starfire...I don't think I've ever seen Barbara outside of this movie.

I don't think The Killing Joke is a part of it because Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill were in that.

Actually, I don't think I've even seen the Joker appear in this universe....

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
With a handful of exceptions, the DTV movies in general have been pretty terrible, but the DTV Animated Universe that started with "Here's the animated New 52" flick just seems like it's genuinely on the bottom rung of superhero cartoons. Even worse than all these super bland Marvel shows that have been put out post EMH/Spectacular Spider-Man. Like, Avengers United They Stand levels of bad.

I'll take breakdancing dreadlocks Joker or bizarrely sexy Magpie over over this poo poo any day

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Can we give it back to Bruce Timm and more stuff like the perfectly fine if random JLA vs. The Fatal Five movie? Actually I would be super onboard for more Diane Guerrero playing Jessica Cruz.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Was Fatal Five written by Bruce Timm or just using his art style? Cause I thought Bruce had only done Batman & Harley Quinn recently.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheHan posted:

Was Fatal Five written by Bruce Timm or just using his art style? Cause I thought Bruce had only done Batman & Harley Quinn recently.

He was an executive producer which admittedly could mean a lot or a little.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jonathan Peters was an executive producer on Superman Returns, Man of Steel and BvS and he was never on the set of any of them even once.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

TheHan posted:

never forget Harley Quinn farting in the batmobile

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah watched JLD 2 this morning. That was rough, lots of gore and violence.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

ThermoPhysical posted:

The last time I saw Dick talk in these DC movies is when he was flirting with Starfire...I don't think I've ever seen Barbara outside of this movie.

I don't think The Killing Joke is a part of it because Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill were in that.

Actually, I don't think I've even seen the Joker appear in this universe....

She shows up for a scene in the Batman Hush movie. She has a small fight with Catwoman and then later helps Nightwing and Alfred stage a car crash so they have a cover for why they need to take an injured Bruce Wayne to the hospital.

Joker was also in that movie for a bit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
RELATED

The Superman Red Son film is possibly the worst one they've made.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

RELATED

Shocked that the movie based on the comic for people that thought Kill Bill vol 2 had a good point about Superman isn't good

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Shocked that the movie based on the comic for people that thought Kill Bill vol 2 had a good point about Superman isn't good

The only good part is the Superior Man sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rNs0CZ4gfA

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

RELATED

The adaptation made by people who though Mark Millar was too subtle.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Can someone give me a rundown on it because all I know is they cut the Pyotr subplot entirely

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The only good part is the Superior Man sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rNs0CZ4gfA

Is that supposed to be their version of the Bizarro sequence?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

Is that supposed to be their version of the Bizarro sequence?

Yes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Roth posted:

I'm gonna be in the nursing home and Superman fans are still gonna be mad about that scene.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I'm gonna be in the nursing home and Superman fans are still gonna be mad about that scene.
You're posting on Something Awful, so you may as well be there already.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

It's a good scene. People who agree it are pretty dumb.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Lurdiak posted:

Roth posted:

It's a good scene. People who agree it are pretty dumb.

It's a great scene, and whether Bill's right about Superman or not doesn't matter in the slightest. What matters in that scene is that Bill himself believes it. Bill believes that people cannot change their fundamental nature. Once a killer, always a killer. The Bride isn't sure she can change enough to be a good mother, but she was willing to try. Bill never tried to change, and dies in the end because he failed to evolve.

To waste even a moment arguing whether the villain of the piece is wrong about Superman is to miss the point of the scene entirely. Which, naturally, is all we ever hear about that scene anymore. Because fans get tunnel vision about the things they love. It's what makes them fans, for good, and all too often, for ill.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Blows my mind that people go through life thinking what a character says is what the writer believes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kill Bill isn't a very good film.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's complicated to give a villain a clear, understandable ideology, and the bread and butter of nerddom is taking relatively insignificant parts of a work too seriously.

I do think that at this point, Superman has been around for long enough and bounced between enough writers that he doesn't have much in the way of an inherent nature. I think I've seen more writers play around with the idea of Batman being the real person while Bruce Wayne is the mask though.

Dang, I looked it up, and apparently Superman's copyright is due to expire in 15 years under current copyright law. I wonder what kind of effect that'll have. Big comic characters have basically been defined by the tight corporate control over IPs, and it's hard to imagine what will happen after the limits are taken off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's complicated to give a villain a clear, understandable ideology, and the bread and butter of nerddom is taking relatively insignificant parts of a work too seriously.

I do think that at this point, Superman has been around for long enough and bounced between enough writers that he doesn't have much in the way of an inherent nature. I think I've seen more writers play around with the idea of Batman being the real person while Bruce Wayne is the mask though.

Dang, I looked it up, and apparently Superman's copyright is due to expire in 15 years under current copyright law. I wonder what kind of effect that'll have. Big comic characters have basically been defined by the tight corporate control over IPs, and it's hard to imagine what will happen after the limits are taken off.

If you don't believe that Disney will get copyright extended again in the next 15 years I've got a planet to sell you.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

ImpAtom posted:

If you don't believe that Disney will get copyright extended again in the next 15 years I've got a planet to sell you.

Why would they help DC tho? You know they just want to add public domain superman and batman to the Avengers

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bunnyofdoom posted:

Why would they help DC tho? You know they just want to add public domain superman and batman to the Avengers

Because Mickey enters the public domain before them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

It isn't 'helping DC.' It is because it impacts them too.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
They probably aren't going to try extending it again because they realized that would give them too much bad publicity and it's not really necessary because while copyright eventually expires, trademarks don't as long as they continue seeing use

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I reflexively cling to hope because without that all life on this earth is meaningless.

It'd sure be something if all the big media companies could no longer just bank off of their old trash indefinitely and actually had to find new creative content to grab the public's attention on its own merits.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mickey mouse enters public domain in 2024 and so far Disney hasn't done poo poo to try and extend the copyright, last time around when it was this close they'd already locked up most of Congress into supporting an extension.

It's possible they don't care as much because Marvel is their current biggest cash cow and most of those characters have more than 30 years left on their copyright.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think it would be too messy for any company to try and make their own Mickey Mouse stuff, and likely there will be an agreement between Disney and other large companies to not do that. It won't stop smaller people from trying, but there's so much that they could mess up and Disney's lawyers are sure to be keeping an eye out for that.

I don't think much will change except Steamboat Willie will be free to watch.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nobody will be able to just grab a character from another studio and start using them. Copyrights expire, trademarks don't.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Kill Bill isn't a very good film.

its near perfect

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

mllaneza posted:

Nobody will be able to just grab a character from another studio and start using them. Copyrights expire, trademarks don't.

From what I understand, if someone took the Steamboat Willie version of Mickey the trademark doesn't stop them from doing toys, books, etc. of that version. But if they tried to like, put that version on toothpaste or cereal boxes, that's when the trademark would stop them.

But there's so much grey area I can't imagine anyone except some small/sketchy companies tying to make a quick buck would try it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a lot of ambiguity there. A lot of room for interpretation by the courts, and considering how most of those judges will have grown up in the age of Disney's stifling copyright law, that may also have an effect on things.

Although in practical terms, it probably depends more on how Disney's legal team specifically interprets the law, since most people can't afford to defend themselves against civil lawsuits and we live in a corporate-run world.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I am honestly surprised corporate extraterritoriality is not enshrined in the constitution yet.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Is there any confirmation anywhere that HBO Max is going to be getting the DCAU content that's currently only available on DC Universe?

I really want to revisit all of those shows, but they're not on the list of content coming out on May 27th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Once DCU fails probably.

Edit: Justice League DOOM is actually pretty solid, it's almost entirely the JLU voice cast, pretty decent plot and the animation isn't terrible. Nathan Fillion as Hal Jordan is fun and it was dedicated to McDuffie, acknowledging that he was the glue holding this stuff together. I get why they did it but bringing Tim Daly back to be Superman was kind of jarring since Newburn held the role for all of JLU.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 24, 2020