Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ambaire posted:

Money duplication can be researched with 100 of a coin. I'm already up to 2 platinum from a fresh character/world and it's still the first night. This mode is hilarious.

Hmmm, I don't really want the game to be easier though. I wanna play on Master mode but Journey mode would be nice just in case things are too brutal so we can lower the difficulty later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Internet Kraken posted:

Hmmm, I don't really want the game to be easier though. I wanna play on Master mode but Journey mode would be nice just in case things are too brutal so we can lower the difficulty later.

Duplication is your choice, though. Don't need to use that feature, and I'm perfectly willing to agree to a no duplication / powers menu usage rule (except for certain agreed upon things like accessories).

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jagged Jim posted:

I'm loving these random world names.

Although I'm not sure if the context of this means "Oh no, Shaty's been hurt! :ohdear:" or " I must hurt Shanty! :black101:"

It's the Hurt Locker, but a little bigger and more ramshackle.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I dunno if I'm a fan of the thing where enemies pick up your cash when you die.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Two randomly generated world names I've seen are "The Irritating Daydream" and "The Flaky Utopia" and I'm wondering if Terraria is trying to critique how I spend my free time.

Gobblecoque posted:

That's not new with this update, monsters have had sticky fingers for years now.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

If anyone is having crash to desktop issues on load via Steam:
Uninstall Terraria. Go into the steam folder with for Terraria stuff(whereever you installed Steam\Steam\steamapps\common\Terraria) and delete everything else in there. You probably used Modloader in the past and it is causing issues. Then reinstall.
Edit: Don't worry, saved games are kept elsewhere so you won't lose anything.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Away from home setting it up via phone ssh, but ive waited too long to not run servers for goons.

104.246.132.142:26901

E:Lysdexia'd it port fixed

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 16, 2020

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gobblecoque posted:

They've done that for a long time, but with this update, they're saved and respawn when you get back to your point of death...

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Internet Kraken posted:

So is there any reason not to play on Journey mode?

For me, it will because I don't really want or need the sort of cheat mode options it has. I don't need the free item duplication, and I don't want to switch around the difficulty of the game all the time. I prefer to just pick a difficulty and play the game as it is. Yes, I could ignore the other features of Journey Mode, but if I'm not going to use them, why pick Journey Mode?

(Not criticizing Journey Mode, just giving my explanation why someone, like me, wouldn't use it.)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

try making a world with seed 5162020

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

There is no downside
This is a fun game made by fun people

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Apparently Journey mode does allow fine-tuned control of the extra controls:

code:
#Journey mode power permissions for every individual power. 0: Locked for everyone, 1: Can only be changed by host, 2: Can be changed by everyone
#journeypermission_time_setfrozen=2
#journeypermission_time_setdawn=2
#journeypermission_time_setnoon=2
#journeypermission_time_setdusk=2
#journeypermission_time_setmidnight=2
#journeypermission_godmode=2
#journeypermission_wind_setstrength=2
#journeypermission_rain_setstrength=2
#journeypermission_time_setspeed=2
#journeypermission_rain_setfrozen=2
#journeypermission_wind_setfrozen=2
#journeypermission_increaseplacementrange=2
#journeypermission_setdifficulty=2
#journeypermission_biomespread_setfrozen=2
#journeypermission_setspawnrate=2
e: Goonlandia is en route but they are getting SUPER hammered by all us Terraria nerds.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 16, 2020

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
my busted-rear end ancient computer completely crashes out and shuts down when it rains in terraria now :negative:

It's hardly terraria's fault, this happens with other games too now, but there's still something extremely depressing about not being able to play a game i've been playing with no issue whatsoever since it came out nearly a decade ago

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jagged Jim posted:

I'm loving these random world names.

Although I'm not sure if the context of this means "Oh no, Shaty's been hurt! :ohdear:" or " I must hurt Shanty! :black101:"

It's obviously a sea shanty cover of Nine Inch Nail's "Hurt".

As for Journey Mode, I'll try to use the research & duplication thing more as a sort of checklist of items I've found. Also as an incentive to stop hording dirt or whatever just in case I want to build something with it later (I never want to build something with it later).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cloudflare is literally having to engage DDoS protections on a lot of hosting providers' websites ahahaha ffs

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
being able to dupe dynamite sure makes mining a lot more fun

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Once you get 1 silver/100 copper all bets are loving off.

I am the god of the new world.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

How the hell do you get gem trees to actually grow

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Glagha posted:

How the hell do you get gem trees to actually grow

Get or make a "gemcorn", plant it in stone, wait.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I have and it has sat at sprout mode for days and done nothing.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Cloudflare is literally having to engage DDoS protections on a lot of hosting providers' websites ahahaha ffs

Most of the wiki sites with crafting info are going down constantly that's for sure

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Apparently Journey mode does allow fine-tuned control of the extra controls:

code:
#Journey mode power permissions for every individual power. 0: Locked for everyone, 1: Can only be changed by host, 2: Can be changed by everyone
#journeypermission_time_setfrozen=2
#journeypermission_time_setdawn=2
#journeypermission_time_setnoon=2
#journeypermission_time_setdusk=2
#journeypermission_time_setmidnight=2
#journeypermission_godmode=2
#journeypermission_wind_setstrength=2
#journeypermission_rain_setstrength=2
#journeypermission_time_setspeed=2
#journeypermission_rain_setfrozen=2
#journeypermission_wind_setfrozen=2
#journeypermission_increaseplacementrange=2
#journeypermission_setdifficulty=2
#journeypermission_biomespread_setfrozen=2
#journeypermission_setspawnrate=2
e: Goonlandia is en route but they are getting SUPER hammered by all us Terraria nerds.

I'm trying to run a local server and fiddle with these settings a bit. How does it know which character is the host? I don't seem to be able to change some of these settings from the command line once the server is started.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I found a ladybug mine cart. 10/10 update.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
This must be the new trap they got so excited about. Found this area in the Jungle (which stood out thanks to the stone) and got suspicious at the number of traps.

Sure enough, when I tripped it (after mining the two boulders, four dart traps and three explosives, the active blocks activated.

Trap item below:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Master Mode is kinda ball-bustingly hard. Me and the boys are getting wrecked hard by random zombies and such, I can't even imagine how hard getting past EoC is going to be.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
terraria is always annoyingly difficult until you get a weapon that hits reliably at range

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Is journey mode like sandbox/creative mode then or is it actual gameplay? I'm a bit confused.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

so am I stuck with these tombstones in my house until I get decent enough armour to kill the ghost that spawns when I break them

edit: lmao got killed by zombies let in by the guide, this is an incredibly nostalgic feeling.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 16, 2020

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

For real though is there some kind of requirement for gem trees? Light? Biome? Space? Underground? Above ground? I plant them on stone and then there's a sprout and it never grows again, just sits there for literal ingame weeks without any progress and something must be wrong or they just take a longass time to actually grow or something.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

so am I stuck with these tombstones in my house until I get decent enough armour to kill the ghost that spawns when I break them

edit: lmao got killed by zombies let in by the guide, this is an incredibly nostalgic feeling.

Oh that spawns the ghost? I did that in the middle of my first Master mode goblin invasion.
The ghost was the least of my worries.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I Said No posted:

Is journey mode like sandbox/creative mode then or is it actual gameplay? I'm a bit confused.

It's both.

It's actual gameplay, but you can turn on godmode and extended mining/placing range if you want.

You can duplicate items infinitely, but only items you've already legit found; so you can't just give yourself a Terra Blade at the start of the game.

Glagha posted:

For real though is there some kind of requirement for gem trees? Light? Biome? Space? Underground? Above ground? I plant them on stone and then there's a sprout and it never grows again, just sits there for literal ingame weeks without any progress and something must be wrong or they just take a longass time to actually grow or something.

Underground only I believe.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Found it, it was just that my trees weren't planted deep enough underground.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Okay so Journey mode is the best. No more having to farm dirt or stone or whatever just to build things. Get 99 of it and you're done.

I thought it would feel like cheating but it really doesn't. It makes building a nice town so much easier, although I still am building giant prison/apartment towers.

I also had my Corruption spawn in the middle of my Jungle but now I can just turn off Corruption spread and not feel like I need to reset the world :unsmith:

I Said No posted:

It's basically "no more grinding" mode, although you don't have to use the item dupe effects.

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 16, 2020

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Me, coming back to Terraria last month for the first time in six years: I might as well make a new world/character now, if they're saying "later this year" for this update then it might not even get here until 2021 :v: Boy do I feel silly now.

axeil posted:

Okay so Journey mode is the best. No more having to farm dirt or stone or whatever just to build things. Get 99 of it and you're done.

I thought it would feel like cheating but it really doesn't. It makes building a nice town so much easier, although I still am building giant prison/apartment towers.

I also had my Corruption spawn in the middle of my Jungle but now I can just turn off Corruption spread and not feel like I need to reset the world :unsmith:

It's basically "no more grinding" mode, although you don't have to use the item dupe effects.

Holy smokes that sounds good, though I was always way more into Terraria for the action/exploration parts than the building. Maybe this is how I get into actual building then?

knob
May 25, 2005

knob

Glagha posted:

For real though is there some kind of requirement for gem trees?

The only one I’ve seen was growing underground in the forest biome I think

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
Also, no more having to create throwaway worlds just to harvest wood.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I've only been using item duplication for the real tedious materials, like stone and wood, but I want to avoid duplicating things like ores and money for now, I quite enjoy Terraria's cave exploration loop.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Some of the new traps cause some fun moments. I really like the new grate trap that causes an overhead lake / lava lake to just start filling the room you are in.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
What Journey mode will pair REALLY well with is the auto trash slot mod. Get enough of an item to unlock infinite and then enable auto trash for it so it no longer clutters the inventory..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Omnicarus posted:

Some of the new traps cause some fun moments. I really like the new grate trap that causes an overhead lake / lava lake to just start filling the room you are in.

I found a trapped treasure chest. That was fun. :commissar:

The Silver Snail posted:

I've only been using item duplication for the real tedious materials, like stone and wood, but I want to avoid duplicating things like ores and money for now, I quite enjoy Terraria's cave exploration loop.

Agree. I'm duping everything but only using duped basic materials/doors/walls/etc. I've also duped bronze and silver coins but I'm not using them.