Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly to me it just felt like Nefcy wanted to be done with the show and broke her toys so Disney couldn't try to continue it without her

I understand that kind of sentiment, but it definitely wouldn't stop somebody doing a new story where the magic just arbitrarily comes back for some hitherto unknown reason.

The whole racism angle didn't really go deep enough to really take seriously, and it didn't really dominate enough of the story to feel like a central point to make or break the entire show over. The part where all the monsters just went and trail of tears'd themselves so that they wouldn't be relevant for a good long while didn't help either.

Although I guess philosophically I was also hoping that the finale would be about monarchy being bad rather than ascribing their world's problems to a force that doesn't exist in our world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It kinda was though. The deposed monarchy end up basically doing the same poo poo in exile, and you even get basically the real life deal where authorities appease fascists thinking they can be controlled and oops oh no a genocidal horde

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

dantheman650 posted:

I've never watched Avatar before. I just watched the first two episodes the I don't know if it's a Netflix problem, but the animation quality was really bad. There was a lot of aliasing whenever anything moved. Does this get better? Is it just on my end?

specifically aliasing problems or actual animation problems like low frame rates? there is a bit of the latter (but only in certain scenes per episode, especially in the first season), but as far technical issues like aliasing, i don't think there should be. are you watching on a 4k monitor? that might do it. the show was broadcast in SD, but they had blu-ray releases as well (though i'm not sure if they actually were proper HD footage or just up-res'd).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

dantheman650 posted:

I've never watched Avatar before. I just watched the first two episodes the I don't know if it's a Netflix problem, but the animation quality was really bad. There was a lot of aliasing whenever anything moved. Does this get better? Is it just on my end?

No, it seems they’re still using the 480p versions from 10 years ago, so quality will be dreadful. Get yourself the Blu-ray set which has proper HD transfers of the originals.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

specifically aliasing problems or actual animation problems like low frame rates? there is a bit of the latter (but only in certain scenes per episode, especially in the first season), but as far technical issues like aliasing, i don't think there should be. are you watching on a 4k monitor? that might do it. the show was broadcast in SD, but they had blu-ray releases as well (though i'm not sure if they actually were proper HD footage or just up-res'd).

Yeah I’m watching on a 4K TV. that’s sort of a bummer. There’s definitely low frame rate issues - sometimes it feels like a slideshow when the camera pans laterally. But the aliasing is really distracting.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Mr Interweb posted:

The Netflix transfer is the same one they put up in 2011 or so that has very bad and noticeable interlacing artifacts on any kind of motion. It's visible even on a 1080p television because it wasn't a good conversion. The animation itself is fine, it's the video quality that is bad. I haven't compared it against the DVD box set I have, but the Blu-ray version is at least an upscale of a non-interlaced source and doesn't have those artifacts.

The show wasn't produced in HD so an upscale's the best you can hope for.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm checking out ThunderCats and having a pretty goof time soaking in Roar's ultra goofball energy, is it catching on at all? I remember hearing a lot of weird screeching from nerds about it since it's announcement.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The Teen Titans Go episode about Thundercats Roar was really good.

I was wondering how they'd deal with people's weirdlord erotic thoughts about Cheetara, since the episode wouldn't be a fair examination if it didn't mention those, but they got around it by having everybody have erotic thoughts about original Lion-O instead.

Incidentally, "Rain on Your Wedding Day" is up there with the best TTG episodes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Caidin posted:

I remember hearing a lot of weird screeching from nerds about it since it's announcement.

From exactly the same fan screeching about 'their' She-Ra being ruined when the reboot first came about.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Caidin posted:

is it catching on at all?

Unceremoniously dumped onto some app, forgotten by all except every few months when nerds remember to get mad about it. Unloved even by it's own network.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ruflux posted:

I actually got the impression from what she said after that she specifically made an ending that probably would've needed additional episodes (or even a whole season) afterwards to really make any sense or feel justified. I dunno if it was just a rumor or actually confirmed, but I think she wanted five seasons and Disney cut the show off at four.

iirc, they went into season 4 not knowing whether they'd get a 5th or not but pretty confident they wouldn't, and so wrote a finale that could work as either a season finale or a series finale depending on whether Disney ordered another.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

kefkafloyd posted:

The Netflix transfer is the same one they put up in 2011 or so that has very bad and noticeable interlacing artifacts on any kind of motion. It's visible even on a 1080p television because it wasn't a good conversion. The animation itself is fine, it's the video quality that is bad. I haven't compared it against the DVD box set I have, but the Blu-ray version is at least an upscale of a non-interlaced source and doesn't have those artifacts.

The show wasn't produced in HD so an upscale's the best you can hope for.

that's a real shame. i was hoping HD versions may have been available too as the series was airing right when HDTVs were finally taking off. cause i heard many anime studios do stuff like that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Blu-Ray upscale is really good on ATLA and so is the fan upscale from before the Blu-Ray

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Unceremoniously dumped onto some app, forgotten by all except every few months when nerds remember to get mad about it. Unloved even by it's own network.

It's a shame too because after the inital blowing up there was some really good animation sqeuences going around and, honestly, if CN had put their foot foreward on that (instead of that godawful preview WB animation put up) they could have gotten somewhere with it.

But then again it's Thundercats and CN has never treated that franchise with any sort of care.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably doesn't help that it looked a lot like a ripoff of Teen Titans Go, which regardless of its merits is very overexposed.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Looked like it was using the turbo plaza style to me

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Eh, It felt a bit more 'gross-out' than OKKO ever did but I suppose we're nit picking at this point; the important part is that CN smothered it in it's sleep to the blood chant of a billion nerds.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
honestly Roar's "release a batch of eps on the app, then premier said eps on tv weekly, and once all the app eps have come out on tv release another batch on the app, rinse and repeat" premier style's been used for a lot of their shows recently (Mao Mao, OK KO, Victor and Valentino, Craig of the Creek, etc), it's not really been treated unusually bad/good by the network's current standards

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Still watching Roar and it's this amazing feeling watching poo poo like Safari Joe and Mum Rana and why Thundara blew up in the first place and then childhood rings me up to remind me this is all right from the original show.

I wonder when they'll bring in Mumm Ra's dog. He loved that dog.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

good news people. to celebrate the arrival of avatar on netflix, i FINALLY went ahead and...bought the blurays. :c00l:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Why is Rebels so much better than The Resistance?

Did the creator teams switch that much? Filioni throwing all his effort into the Mandalorian?

Rebels interested me from the first time I saw it while travelling, but early Resistance is like pulling teeth so far.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

Did the creator teams switch that much? Filioni throwing all his effort into the Mandalorian?

Rebels interested me from the first time I saw it while travelling, but early Resistance is like pulling teeth so far.

I have some bad news for you.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Madurai posted:

I have some bad news for you.

I hope it's that Resistance doesn't improve, because I stopped watching it in favor of 1990s Spider-Man.

The guy from the Room would make a perfect Morbius.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Beachcomber posted:

I would honestly prefer the next series to be animated and not live action.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ve heard good things about The Clone Wars and The Mandalorian but is Star Wars Rebels worth watching at all? If so, is it over now or is it still going?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

I’ve heard good things about The Clone Wars and The Mandalorian but is Star Wars Rebels worth watching at all? If so, is it over now or is it still going?

Rebels is over and it is worth watching. It starts off on its own but becomes a sort of a pseudo-sequel to Clone Wars since the promise of the Final Season hadn't happened yet.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Rebels is over and it is worth watching. It starts off on its own but becomes a sort of a pseudo-sequel to Clone Wars since the promise of the Final Season hadn't happened yet.

Speaking of which, I haven’t gotten around to watching it yet but how did the final season of Clone Wars wind up turning out?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Mr Interweb posted:

good news people. to celebrate the arrival of avatar on netflix, i FINALLY went ahead and...bought the blurays. :c00l:

I bought the Blurays for my wife back around Christmas so we could finally rewatch it and for some reason we only got to about episode 7. Then they put it back on Netflix and I finished the show in three days. I don't know what it was about having it on Netflix that made it so much easier to binge, but I'm actually really sad it's over. I also wish I liked Korra more overall so I could just jump into that.

I'm not ashamed to admit the Uncle scenes in season 2 and 3 had me holding back tears so hard.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I split Korra into two parts:
Season 1 and 2
Korra - Watch only if needed

Season 3 and 4
Korra - The Good Part

The only thing I usually watch from the first section is the Avatar Wan duology.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, I haven’t gotten around to watching it yet but how did the final season of Clone Wars wind up turning out?

It is very good and I don't even like a lot of clone wars.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Senerio posted:

I split Korra into two parts:
Season 1 and 2
Korra - Watch only if needed

Season 3 and 4
Korra - The Good Part

The only thing I usually watch from the first section is the Avatar Wan duology.

I think my biggest issue with Korra was the overall lack of focus. Season one rushed all the majority story beats in the last few episodes and never really gave things time to breathe. I couldn't begin to tell you what the hell was going on in season 2. And I loved season 3, but there was way too much teen angst for my liking. I don't even remember season 4 and I just watched it last summer.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just started Avatar, a few episodes in. This episode has a plot about Sokka dealing with some sexism he has, but, where did he get all that? AFAIK he was the oldest male in his village and seemed like tons of women around. Did Sokka just hunt alone or with the little boys or were there a bunch of adult dudes I missed?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Khanstant posted:

I just started Avatar, a few episodes in. This episode has a plot about Sokka dealing with some sexism he has, but, where did he get all that? AFAIK he was the oldest male in his village and seemed like tons of women around. Did Sokka just hunt alone or with the little boys or were there a bunch of adult dudes I missed?

All the warriors in his tribe are dudes, they went off to war and he stayed behind to protect the women and children. Plus there's other stuff that comes up later that I won't spoil.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Khanstant posted:

The water tribe society is very sexist. The old women probably kept insisting that he as the male had to protect his sister and had to hunt, while she helped raising the young ones. Also there are probably countless stories about strong protector men from the past cycling around.
You don't need men to become sexist.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Korra was a hot mess that was fun while it lasted but going back just reminds me of every niggling doubt I didn't think about at the time which in retrospect are actual critical flaws in it's writing, plotting, and world. We were promised AtLA but more developed, and instead we got cold war era political messaging and evil avatar spirit kites. A halfhearted gay kiss at the end doesn't make up for three seasons of YA romance getting in the way.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Did they kiss at the end? I thought they just held hands as the screen turned white. Either way you're totally right, that Mako/Korra relationship was just the worst. Asami was the best character in Team Avatar 2 and she's totally wasted for much of the series.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The problems with Korra's first few seasons are basically two-fold imo:

1. The seasons are half as long as Last Airbenders, so they didn't have nearly as much time to flesh out the characters and make them engaging or set up the world and plot as much. The best thing about TLA was that it just got better and better as time went on. They could just keep developing the characters, world and plot and the quality kept improving. Korra didn't get to have a 'filler' episode where you make Mako into a cool character that people like. You didn't even really get that much time in the regular episodes to have endearing character moments. The Equalists were a fantastic idea that everyone loved at the time but they just didn't have the space to explore them so the potential was wasted and everyone turned against the idea when it turned out it had no point. They thought they could cut the number of episodes in half and improve the animation and it would pay off and it was just the completely wrong call imo.

2. The sideplots they did do were poo poo. No-one cares about pro-bending and the goddamn romance subplot is awful. The characters only liked each other because they're hot, there's no depth to it. Aang's crush on Katara was unintrusive and they had 3 seasons to pull it off. With how short the seasons were it just feels like so much wasted time that we could have been spending with Amon or Lin or Korra actually being a good character*.

In spite of that I think the first season of Korra was still good up until the last episode. Amon was a extremely intimidating villain, the bit in the cabin gave me goosebumps the first time. If they had had more episodes to pull it off I think they would have comfortably.

* Another issue is that they made Korra way too flawed of a character to the point where she becomes kind of unlikable. Aang had flaws that were endearing, Korra had flaws that were frustrating.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There's also the fact that the writers didn't really have much of a plan going in. The first season was originally supposed to be the ONLY season but Nickelodeon demanded more so they had to scramble to come up with something else (which might explain why Korra suddenly seems to regress as far as characterization goes at the start of Season 2). Of course, ironically Nick wound up screwing the show over to the point where I believe the last few episodes (or possibly even seasons) were exclusively only available online.

To the second season's credit, I did sort of like the Avatar Wan story and it did give us characters like Verrick, Desna, and Eska.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's also the problem that the fights overall felt like a huge step down from ATLA, especially regarding Bending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

I think my biggest issue with Korra was the overall lack of focus. Season one rushed all the majority story beats in the last few episodes and never really gave things time to breathe. I couldn't begin to tell you what the hell was going on in season 2. And I loved season 3, but there was way too much teen angst for my liking. I don't even remember season 4 and I just watched it last summer.

Korra has way too many characters for a show with 13-episode seasons. I have no idea why Bryan and Mike only kept adding more focus characters in season three and four, but it happened and made the show feel super disjointed even when it was otherwise pretty good. I used to rate it more highly, but looking back on it, season three was really the only time it was firing on all cylinders and even that has issues. They did definitely push the hell out of that TV-Y7 FV rating during that season though and I really don't think many kids that age particularly enjoyed all the drama and attempts at being a serious adult cartoon.

Four was kind of experimental but ultimately fell a bit flat, and the giant robot fight was a hilariously stupid asspull and made it very hard to take the finale seriously. Plus, watching Korra suffer and be unable to do anything for episodes on end thanks to PTSD, while definitely a bold move, was not very entertaining after the first few episodes. And then there was the neverending parade of side characters getting focus episodes at the cost of the story and Korra.

JT Smiley posted:

Did they kiss at the end? I thought they just held hands as the screen turned white. Either way you're totally right, that Mako/Korra relationship was just the worst. Asami was the best character in Team Avatar 2 and she's totally wasted for much of the series.
Best? She was hardly even a character. They dropped the ball hard with Team Avatar 2, when you get Bolin, who is entertaining but way too often dips into just being annoying, Mako, who is competent but grumpy and uninteresting to watch, and Asami, whose characterization includes "she's rich" and "but not evil". The show never really gives her much of a personality and it's so strange considering they had so many chances to do so.