Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah its a tough decision!

logic does admittedly lock me down to my single rmbp for production stuff, and i love it, but i hate not being able to have a backup machine.

No buys tonight but i'm still currently ruminatin'

--

I also realized that my bass amp is not built for low output jazz bass pickups and thats why i can barely make the VU meter bump. I have a cheap clean boost pedal coming in tomorrow which should give me another 10db and let me work the tube circuit in the Ashdown really well. It's already the most loving ridiculously loud amp i've ever owned, lets turn that up a bit lol

like i put it on 1.5 master volume and the glasses on the shelf in my kitchen rattle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

im gonna buy a thing for recording and writing my corona EP and i'm not sure if i want:

* traktor kontrol audio 2 interface for 139, 2 ins and outs, comes with guitar rig free if i buy before 01 june
* newest logic pro
* newest renoise

renoise is more for writing dnb and electronic tracks and honestly im having fun with guitars right now so idk

I’m so tempted to get the komolete 2 coz I have the 1 and hosed half of it but very happy with it plus guitar rig demo has made me hungry for pro

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I'm in this weird position where I don't think that guitar rig 5 is worth $200 but I can't get it for what I think to be a fair price. I already have a good audio interface but if you need one anyway, getting GR5 would be dope. just value it in your head at like $30 or $50, not $200. ofc keep in mind that I'm not good at guitar. maybe it's more obviously worth more if you're better at stuff than I am

come on NI just let me give you $50 I want to do it! I own a legitimate copy of ableton for gods sakes I love paying for legitimate software!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I would love to be able to plug guitar and synth in at same time. that’s worth hundreds of dollars

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm not that good of a player, i don't shred or anything, but ive done a lot of good stuff with an old (pirated) copy of guitar rig. also i have a 24 switch midi pedalboard that i built years ago that i'm currently rehabbing and getting working again, so i can really control the poo poo out of everything in guitar rig with me feet

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
omg smol pedal showed up

this easily drives my amp into nice grindy overdrive on the tube channel now with the jazz bass. much happier. 21 bux well spent

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
good poo poo mate, wish I could hear it in the flesh

what kind of pedal situation does guitar rig use?

im also not a good player but I have been playing for years and can pull off a few bits

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's all midi. if you have any controller that sends midi note or cc messages, you can map those to any switch or knob in any guitar rig component.

you can even set static values for knobs and toggle between them, so you can have two preset positions for the gain knob on an amp simulator, and use the midi switch to toggle between those.

I am the proud owner of an out of production board, the UMC-32+

which is a 32 (actually 40) input or output board that will take either switches or pots and convert them to midi note events or CC's, ORRRRR it can accept midi note events and turn LEDs on or off.

Found a pic of the build

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

See now that's verrrrrry interrrrresting to me. Before the ekit purchase, I wanted to make my own kick drum out of a spare acoustic kit kick and some sort of trigger, but I couldn't find any simple midi triggers with velocity. I stopped short of making my own, but a board like that and knowing how to use it both being in my possession will probably be beneficial later. I think you can even make a trigger using cheap pizzo microphones

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 14, 2020

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep $0.50 piezo elements and a transistor will make a quite suitable trigger. it's a common hack exercise for people that like to bridge the physical <-> computer music gap

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Finally, after a couple hours of loving around, got custom colors on the launchpad working. Love operating in this realm of low documentation, it merges so many of my interests!

I also hosed around realmhard with OBS studio and got it so I can do Google Hangouts while streaming cam video and my daw screencasted. Gonna make a video of what the hell I'm using the launchpad and it's custom pads for this weekend with it all.. gonna combine some music theory and midi programming

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
it took me 8 years of owning this garbage interface to figure out the best way to get AISO output back as WDM input is to loop the SPDIF out back to the SPDIF in with a physical cable

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

got my launchkey mini mk3 yesterday and it's very good. i guess it does a whole bunch of ableton poo poo that i don't care about. but it also lets you use the drum pads as drum pads and the knobs as instrument knobs which is all i want. maybe i'll care about launching clips from the pads later, but not right now

im trying to find a vst (or whatever) to map the white keys to specific scales. i know there's a plugin called Cales that does this, but it's windows-only. any ideas?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

got my launchkey mini mk3 yesterday and it's very good. i guess it does a whole bunch of ableton poo poo that i don't care about. but it also lets you use the drum pads as drum pads and the knobs as instrument knobs which is all i want. maybe i'll care about launching clips from the pads later, but not right now

im trying to find a vst (or whatever) to map the white keys to specific scales. i know there's a plugin called Cales that does this, but it's windows-only. any ideas?

what daw are you using? if it's Live that's already having a Scale plugin built in i think

there's ReaControlMIDI if you are on Reaper

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah i use live but the scale midi effect just forces to scale rather than mapping. so if you're playing a minor pentatonic and just going left to right on the white keys it'll go 1,1,3,4,5,5,7 rather than 1,3,4,5,7 (which is what I'm after). it wastes a lot of keyboard space

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i can think of a convoluted way of doing it using instrument rack in ableton and splitting at different points on the incoming scale and then change pitch and set scale afterward 🤯 maybe you can do a lot with midi effects in ableton

not most people know that ableton is short for able to n, with n meaning “n amount of things” hence the program is ABLE TO do a number of things

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i took a project as far as i think i can take it creatively for now, so i decided to polish it up and make it a bit production ready, render it down to mp3, before i put it on the shelf
https://soundcloud.com/macro_bulk/pg-8-x86_a_02

something seemed off about the mix at first when i pressed it to mp3, but i bumped the bitrate from 192 to 320 and it sounds waaay better, nearly the same as when i hit play in my daw. when i make fl studio play the project live it sounds fuller. its like the sounds are cutting each other out, like an auto mix is going on or something.

here's the stats in case anyone wants to play along
code:
Tempo
107 bpm

Song Key:
F Blues
F Minor
Ab/G# Major
if you got any question about rig, instruments, effects, or process or whatever, please, ask away :cheers:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah i use live but the scale midi effect just forces to scale rather than mapping. so if you're playing a minor pentatonic and just going left to right on the white keys it'll go 1,1,3,4,5,5,7 rather than 1,3,4,5,7 (which is what I'm after). it wastes a lot of keyboard space

basically what echi says, take a midi effect rack and you can map every individual note to another note coming out. it is a bit tedious to do but worth it in the end as you only need to do it once.

KoRMaK posted:

i took a project as far as i think i can take it creatively for now, so i decided to polish it up and make it a bit production ready, render it down to mp3, before i put it on the shelf

something seemed off about the mix at first when i pressed it to mp3, but i bumped the bitrate from 192 to 320 and it sounds waaay better, nearly the same as when i hit play in my daw. when i make fl studio play the project live it sounds fuller. its like the sounds are cutting each other out, like an auto mix is going on or something.

code:
Tempo
107 bpm

Song Key:
F Blues
F Minor
Ab/G# Major
if you got any question about rig, instruments, effects, or process or whatever, please, ask away :cheers:

pro tip you can upload lossless audio to soundcloud too, no need to mess with mp3 bitrates :)

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

there's a sale underway on a whole bunch of scaler plugins https://www.waproduction.com/bundles/view/ultimate-midi-bundle

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ruffian Price posted:

there's a sale underway on a whole bunch of scaler plugins https://www.waproduction.com/bundles/view/ultimate-midi-bundle
uh... hmmmmmmm. At first i thought fl studio had this built in with the channel arppegiator, but after looking closer it seems to do a lot more. these pugins also kind of hit me with a momentary feeling of "thats cheating" - but really, they aren't because you have to know the music theory behind it - this just lets you accelrate being able to play complicated stuff if your hands cant keep up. Like for me, I'm much further ahead on theory than I am actually playing on the keyboard. This screenshot also jumped out to me, lets you be specific about how to arp, rather than just up or down. soooo, for $15, i'm leaning towards getting it. thanks for the tip

i really really wish the air db88 went on sale, the clips they have of it sound just like what I want. the free vst organ I got is ok but it seems like it keeps clipping or hitting 0 points when i hold a chord which is a bummer

e: Oh poo poo, thankfully i googled tonewheel organ becuase I got this kvr hit which seems to be new for covid19 quaranatine! https://www.kvraudio.com/product/collab3---free-tonewheel-organ-by-sampleson

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 17, 2020

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
speaking of kvr why is everyone there so grumpy all the time its just nothing but grump grump grump

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

Tayter Swift posted:

speaking of kvr why is everyone there so grumpy all the time its just nothing but grump grump grump

If they think they can out-grump Gearslutz, they’ve got another think coming.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I started reading around to check out insta-chord, scale and midiq, which lead me to scaler (and the upcoming scaler 2) and it seems like they have a big overlap, and now I dont know which one to get. gah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGVrscdVZm0

if you buy scaler 1 right now, you get a free upgrade to scaler 2. and its only $50. so... im really torn on which to get now, the insta-/midiq bundle for $20 or scaler for $50 and then scale2 after as a free upgrade

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 18, 2020

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

code:
Tempo
107 bpm

Song Key:
F Blues
F Minor
Ab/G# Major

good poo poo

any chance you'd be able to toss up a lossless version anywhere? I might play around with adding some sax to this over the weekend

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Penguissimo posted:

good poo poo

any chance you'd be able to toss up a lossless version anywhere? I might play around with adding some sax to this over the weekend
sure thing
https://soundcloud.com/macro_bulk/pg-8-x86-a-02-losslesswave
i left this with the extra long tail, figured having extra minutes could be helpful. if not you can just cut it, but it leaves the option to you. I think i did it right, you should be able to download the wav from that soundcloud link

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I tried instascale and it wasn't what i was looking for. Its interface was really weird - keys you could play your root or descend/ascend the scale depending on how far the key was from the root (which was in the middle). ill give the scaler trial a shot, though!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

I tried instascale and it wasn't what i was looking for. Its interface was really weird - keys you could play your root or descend/ascend the scale depending on how far the key was from the root (which was in the middle). ill give the scaler trial a shot, though!
please, keep me posted! im really curious about both and we have until the 26th to get scaler 1 and a free scaler 2 upgrade which comes out on the 27th. I'm not sure ill get to try both in time so im very eager to hear what anyone has to say comparing both

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can someone in a sentence tell me what they do they are literally chord apps

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

you know all the music theory that you gotta keep track of? This app seems to help automate some of that memorization part and lets you just focus on what sounds good with regards to harmony, melody, and diatonic balh blah blah.

It's as if you have a session player sitting in with you can you can say "oh, can you give me something sort of... jazzy in the key of, uhhh... B major, focusing on the first the 6th and the 7th chords" and then it does that and randomizes it OR plays it according to certain patterns (that may represent your own playing, like arpeggios but personalized) and stuff.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 19, 2020

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tbFgWrDk9E
ok so, after watching this i think im taken midiq off the list. It looks like a baby's toy - using shapes instead of telling me like the actual music theory? scaler seems to offer the same and better functionality with a better interface if you care about learning what you're actually doing and wanna self analyze

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

glad to hear you say that - I read the description for midiq and it didn't grab me, but I didn't actually bother to get the trial. fomo has lessened

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

KoRMaK posted:

you know all the music theory that you gotta keep track of?

learning and thinking about harmonic relations is half the fun though

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
most of the auto-chorders are baby's toys though, because chord voicings and voice leadings and all that stuff matter and a lot of chord harmonies that are written really don't have a single true functional interpretation. most harmonies i write in general look like this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KoRMaK posted:

you know all the music theory that you gotta keep track of? This app seems to help automate some of that memorization part and lets you just focus on what sounds good with regards to harmony, melody, and diatonic balh blah blah.

It's as if you have a session player sitting in with you can you can say "oh, can you give me something sort of... jazzy in the key of, uhhh... B major, focusing on the first the 6th and the 7th chords" and then it does that and randomizes it OR plays it according to certain patterns (that may represent your own playing, like arpeggios but personalized) and stuff.

thats this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGFogwcx-E

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

learning and thinking about harmonic relations is half the fun though
Absolutely. I don't see this as a replacement for that, but I do see it as a possible helpful tool to accelerate your understanding of what options you have.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

so i guess im writing a plugin to do what i want with respect to scales lmao

i had to install xcode :mad:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

so i guess im writing a plugin to do what i want with respect to scales lmao

i had to install xcode :mad:
probably for the best. sclaer nor WA did what you wanted?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a grey forums thread about guitars? I can’t find it.

One problem I’m having with my floyd rose is that if I pull it flat and then tune for example everything Is fine and I can pull flat over and over and still fine but if I pull sharp it resets back to maybe 15 cents sharp give or take for each string, and stays that way until I pull flat wrk then that’s fine

Or I can tune after pulling sharp and stays fine until pulls flat.

I’m sure you can see what I’m getting at. I don’t really expect anyone here to know the exact problem tho or how to fix it. Could be that the knife edge or the bolt that goes into the body is worn 🤷‍♂️ I would post this in a more specific thread but I couldn’t find a guitar one which surprises me

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

tbh I didn't actually try scaler lol

but now I am mapping the scales out from middle C and the white keys play notes from those scales. I need to figure out something for the black keys to do and maybe add a configurable midpoint so you can set a new midpoint if you want. not sure how important that would be in practice through. also need to add more scales but that's a rote and boring thing. but yeah I've got C/Am pentatonic and six or so major scales in there

also gotta figure out if I want to do annoying serial number poo poo and try to sell it or just make it free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

Is there a grey forums thread about guitars? I can’t find it.

One problem I’m having with my floyd rose is that if I pull it flat and then tune for example everything Is fine and I can pull flat over and over and still fine but if I pull sharp it resets back to maybe 15 cents sharp give or take for each string, and stays that way until I pull flat wrk then that’s fine

Or I can tune after pulling sharp and stays fine until pulls flat.

I’m sure you can see what I’m getting at. I don’t really expect anyone here to know the exact problem tho or how to fix it. Could be that the knife edge or the bolt that goes into the body is worn 🤷‍♂️ I would post this in a more specific thread but I couldn’t find a guitar one which surprises me

yeah either the knife edges are rekt or the pivot bolts are.

(guitar thread is in musicians lounge btw)