Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Op-Ed on Weird Christianity in the Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/opinion/sunday/weird-christians.html?referringSource=articleShare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Not one to usually ask, but she'd appreciate it. Anyone who's so inclined, please remember my aunt Bev in your prayers. She passed in her sleep yesterday after a long and well-loved life.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Not one to usually ask, but she'd appreciate it. Anyone who's so inclined, please remember my aunt Bev in your prayers. She passed in her sleep yesterday after a long and well-loved life.

Light welcome Bev and give her the rest she deserves after a long life. May all her loved ones find comfort.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm sorry for your loss, and I've said a prayer for her and for you.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Liquid Communism posted:

Requiescat in pace. Sorry for your loss.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Playing music in the key of HIP!
Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

May she find joy with the ancestors and continue to watch over the family.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Thank you all. It was a beautiful service, but really, really strange to be watching on a livestream instead of paying my respects in person.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Hello, my friends! It's so nice to see all your usernames and avatars and posts again. I apologize if my sudden and prolonged absence was worrying to anyone. Even before the pandemic, my work ramped up dramatically in business. I thought I might take a break from the forums and most social media in general for Lent, but then Easter passed and my break extended anyway. Then the pandemic came to Oregon, and my work remained open. In fact, it only got busier, and the workload ramped up but the ability to be productive went down.

To be honest with you all, it feels overwhelming at times, like I want to knock my head against my desk, tender my resignation, and go back to cleaning houses. I love what I do, but it also gives me stress dreams sometimes. So please keep praying for me as you do. Even if I'm absent, I'm trying to think of you all and hope you think of me, too.

It's a joy to know this place still draws participants and lurkers. I try to recall as many of your names and usernames in my prayers, but there's no soul here I can think of that doesn't have my well wishes. Peace be with you all.

Liquid Communism posted:

Thank you all. It was a beautiful service, but really, really strange to be watching on a livestream instead of paying my respects in person.

St Clare of Assisi may append video teleconferencing to her patronage now. May she ensure the proper delivery of your respects.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Liquid Communism posted:

open wide oh earth, and receive what god has made from you with his own hands

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Liquid Communism posted:

How are you holding up LC?

Also welcome back Caufman. Do keep safe if you can!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Hi Caufman!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Good to see you back, Caufman! I'll admit I just somehow assumed you were doing good, 'cause you a good chap, but it's nice to hear :)

So I attended an AA meeting yesterday in my home group, and we had a good fun that it was the feast day of St. Matthias (my long form name), and he is the patron saint of alcoholics, apparently because of an Egyptian theologician stating that he once said to fight the flesh. However, a googling revealed a new contender (who is Irish!):

https://wau.org/resources/article/venerable_matt_talbot_patron_saint_of_alcoholics/

Anyone heard of this guy, and how his saintification is going?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Tias posted:

Good to see you back, Caufman! I'll admit I just somehow assumed you were doing good, 'cause you a good chap, but it's nice to hear :)

So I attended an AA meeting yesterday in my home group, and we had a good fun that it was the feast day of St. Matthias (my long form name), and he is the patron saint of alcoholics, apparently because of an Egyptian theologician stating that he once said to fight the flesh. However, a googling revealed a new contender (who is Irish!):

https://wau.org/resources/article/venerable_matt_talbot_patron_saint_of_alcoholics/

I hadn't heard of this guy but it touches me, my Irish father was also one of twelve kids and also struggled with drink.

The comments on that one are heartbreaking.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Tias posted:

I know him, but he is not as well known as he should be.

Caufman posted:

Hello, my friends!

Hey buddy! Glad you are doing well.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm glad to hear from you again, Caufman!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Nice to meet you, Caufman!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

And may God bless you. *Pew* *Pew*

Edit: Better joke: “In the name of the Father, *Pew*, and of the Son, *Pew*, and of the Holy Spirit, *Pew**Pew*!

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 16, 2020

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
someone was asking about animals that are orthodox. In addition to the makhor, these guys:

https://twitter.com/SaHreports/status/1261232479480033280?s=20

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://twitter.com/NameSearch_/status/1259591250509991937

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

How are you holding up LC?

Also welcome back Caufman. Do keep safe if you can!

Not great. Had to attend the service via livestream like most of the family. Found out the same day that my stepmom sat over the weekend with a broken hip and had to be admitted for an immediate replacement on Wednesday.

She's in recovery now, thankfully, but can't have visitors.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

Liquid Communism posted:

She's in recovery now, thankfully, but can't have visitors.

That's good to hear! Hope she is out soon.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Birettas and Berettas.

My ears are bleeding.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
:reject: All ecclesiastical Latin is badly pronounced.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Worthleast posted:

Birettas and Berettas.

My ears are bleeding.

I have a book about called Latin: The Empire of a Sign which has a chapter on Latin as an academic lingua franca in the Middle Ages. It says that the Engish and Irish were regarded as the most incomprehensible. It has several anecdotes about people speaking Latin and the recepient believing they were speaking Irish or some such. It goes on to discuss the difficulties others had with several more accents, like French and German, until you start to wonder who actually did understand one other.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Grevling posted:

I have a book about called Latin: The Empire of a Sign which has a chapter on Latin as an academic lingua franca in the Middle Ages. It says that the Engish and Irish were regarded as the most incomprehensible. It has several anecdotes about people speaking Latin and the recepient believing they were speaking Irish or some such. It goes on to discuss the difficulties others had with several more accents, like French and German, until you start to wonder who actually did understand one other.

To be fair, this holds true when they speak English too.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Grevling posted:

The written language didn't meaningfully alter though, did it? Like an Irish monk who knew Latin would have been able to correspond, at least, with a cardinal in Rome or something. Thinking about it like that reminds me of how Chinese writing, purportedly, would be mutually comprehensible across dialects. I am not sure if the canard I heard that Confucius could read a handwritten shopping list (at least in Taiwan) is quite true, tho.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Welp. Some churches in my area are starting to hold Sunday services again, in accordance with my state's government announcing that everything is fine and safe to resume your normal lives.

https://i.imgur.com/Y3pzMFm.mp4

(sound on, it's a newly rescued feral getting its first checkup and shots at the vet)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Captain von Trapp posted:

:reject: All ecclesiastical Latin is badly pronounced.
dude i used to like you, why have you betrayed me

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

Cythereal posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Y3pzMFm.mp4

(sound on, it's a newly rescued feral getting its first checkup and shots at the vet)

heck, same

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

HEY GUNS posted:

dude i used to like you, why have you betrayed me

Ha, sorry. It comes from being a young and impressionable college student in a Latin 101 class when the The Passion of the Christ came out, where its whole thing was allegedly subtitled period language but Pilate is all ecce homo with the Italian ch and the silent h and...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I would like to request prayers for my brother, who was hospitalized with complications of COVID-19, and his family.

Thankfully the prognosis is very good; it hasn't damaged his heart at all and treatment of the blood clots that hurt his lungs is working, but it's still a terrible time for him, his wife, and his children.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Nessus posted:

The written language didn't meaningfully alter though, did it? Like an Irish monk who knew Latin would have been able to correspond, at least, with a cardinal in Rome or something. Thinking about it like that reminds me of how Chinese writing, purportedly, would be mutually comprehensible across dialects. I am not sure if the canard I heard that Confucius could read a handwritten shopping list (at least in Taiwan) is quite true, tho.

They could probably understand each other in writing a lot better even though there were some regional differences there as well. The syntax would be influenced by the writer's native language and some words might make it in. But the accents seem to have been the biggest issue.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

I'm glad I only care about religion and not language, because hooly handbasket there's a lot to get mad at in Passion of the Christ already. I mean, I can deal with your run of the mill syphilitic nun fanfic, but don't say you've made a faithful movie about the last days of Jesus then :argh:

Night10194 posted:

I would like to request prayers for my brother, who was hospitalized with complications of COVID-19, and his family.

Thankfully the prognosis is very good; it hasn't damaged his heart at all and treatment of the blood clots that hurt his lungs is working, but it's still a terrible time for him, his wife, and his children.

drat it, best of luck and all strengthening blessings upon him.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Will do.

Tias posted:

I'm glad I only care about religion and not language, because hooly handbasket there's a lot to get mad at in Passion of the Christ already. I mean, I can deal with your run of the mill syphilitic nun fanfic, but don't say you've made a faithful movie about the last days of Jesus then :argh:

I am not fond of that movie either. If you want to really explode a Gibsonite, tell them that the nun's visions were edited and elaborated by a freemason :v:.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hah, the day after I hear he's in the hospital, my brother was released. They say as long as he stays on the blood thinners he'll be fine, thank God.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I know Passion of the Christ is problematic but I find it a useful reflection on Good Friday because of my visceral reaction to the violence committed to Christ. I know, its got problems, but seeing Christ like that is humbling and heartbreaking. When he falls and his Mother sees him and Jesus says “See Mother, I make all things new,” I just can’t describe how that hits me.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I know Passion of the Christ is problematic but I find it a useful reflection on Good Friday because of my visceral reaction to the violence committed to Christ. I know, its got problems, but seeing Christ like that is humbling and heartbreaking. When he falls and his Mother sees him and Jesus says “See Mother, I make all things new,” I just can’t describe how that hits me.

That scene, and the juxtaposition of the crucifixion and the Last Supper, are all I care to remember from the movie, and they're both very good things; I'm glad to have seen the movie, and glad it was made, even if the other 95% of it is dubious at best.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I never saw the movie, because it seemed really indulgent, sadistic and kind of anti-Semitic, but, if they're going for accuracy with languages, why would Pilate be talking to the Jerusalem crowd in Latin instead of Greek?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Epicurius posted:

I never saw the movie, because it seemed really indulgent, sadistic and kind of anti-Semitic, but, if they're going for accuracy with languages, why would Pilate be talking to the Jerusalem crowd in Latin instead of Greek?

Because Mel Gibson is (or was then, if he's not now) the kind of Catholic who'd believe someone who said she had a vision of Christ dictating exactly how the Tridentine Mass was supposed to go.