Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Crouton and Galbedir are back from the vet! They have their suprelorin implants back in and will probably come in a bit earlier than one year from now as they seem to go through them quicker than usual. They are apparently "superb" and "fantastic" and very friendly and Crouton (being nesty) did a 5g poop which is about the equivalent weight for weight of me doing a 5-6kg poop.

Crouton's butt flaps incident and associated feather plucking/skin chewing means she's not growing feathers at all in a few spots around her vent and around the tail and legs. There's no follicles developing or anything but she's not been plucking so the vet reckons she's just going to be bare in those patches from now on. There's no new damage anywhere and all her feathers are 10/10, so while she won't be entered into any bird beauty pageants she is happy and healthy and having a good time. Unless you are poking at her butt looking for it she looks plump and fluffy everywhere else. Galbedir is still perfectly normal and was happy to step up and beep and get examined and flap about and was generally a very good boy :3

I got told this all over the phone while they were being examined and poked and prodded as the vet is currently contact-free as far as people go. When you get to the parking lot you call reception from your car and leave the bird outside the door where they pick it up. Then the vet calls you while they do the exam before the bird going back out the same way. There are currently less than 20 confirmed active covid cases in Queensland (obviously more asymptomatic/otherwise unconfirmed cases) but it doesn't hurt to be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Crouton and Galbedir are back from the vet! They have their suprelorin implants back in and will probably come in a bit earlier than one year from now as they seem to go through them quicker than usual. They are apparently "superb" and "fantastic" and very friendly and Crouton (being nesty) did a 5g poop which is about the equivalent weight for weight of me doing a 5-6kg poop.

Crouton's butt flaps incident and associated feather plucking/skin chewing means she's not growing feathers at all in a few spots around her vent and around the tail and legs. There's no follicles developing or anything but she's not been plucking so the vet reckons she's just going to be bare in those patches from now on. There's no new damage anywhere and all her feathers are 10/10, so while she won't be entered into any bird beauty pageants she is happy and healthy and having a good time. Unless you are poking at her butt looking for it she looks plump and fluffy everywhere else. Galbedir is still perfectly normal and was happy to step up and beep and get examined and flap about and was generally a very good boy :3

I got told this all over the phone while they were being examined and poked and prodded as the vet is currently contact-free as far as people go. When you get to the parking lot you call reception from your car and leave the bird outside the door where they pick it up. Then the vet calls you while they do the exam before the bird going back out the same way. There are currently less than 20 confirmed active covid cases in Queensland (obviously more asymptomatic/otherwise unconfirmed cases) but it doesn't hurt to be safe.

I am glad the goobers are happy and poopy. If only us here in the states were being that cautious about covid though. :sigh:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Brute Squad posted:

ooo, I forgot I got a pic of the nestling before we rescued it.

That's 5-6 days of growth. I knew birds grew quick, but drat. Egg is still there. I don't know what to do with it.

Mourning doves breed quickly (up to 6 nests a year) and grow explosively (going from completely helpless newborn to fledgling in 2 weeks). It's kinda insane.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Borb obtained.

I cannot tell you how much time I spent going "OH MY GOD YOU'RE SO LITTLE"

Just moved them to base today, made a little ramp for them since they aren't great at flying yet to get off of the ground. In an aviary with other house sparrows. Stay safe little kiddo.

(Pets were met with baby yelling)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chaosfeather posted:

I cannot tell you how much time I spent going "OH MY GOD YOU'RE SO LITTLE"

"How dare you hold me, I am mighty and fierce! :colbert:"

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

That is the saddest looking little bird. I love him.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
My dad loved this because she looks just like the pet sparrow we had growing up who got kicked out of the nest multiple times by her parents as a tiny naked baby. She lived in a hand towel in the kitchen.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

RoboRodent posted:

That is the saddest looking little bird. I love him.

:emptyquote:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Birb...you gotta little somethin' on your...oh, nevermind.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

mediaphage posted:

Birb...you gotta little somethin' on your...oh, nevermind.

:3:

Today, Serra pulled out a big tail feather that was the last of her juvenile non-banded ones.

She immediately fled from it like it was a snake. Feathers normally get a good secondary inspection when removed. This time? FLEE!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Captain Log posted:

:3:

Today, Serra pulled out a big tail feather that was the last of her juvenile non-banded ones.

She immediately fled from it like it was a snake. Feathers normally get a good secondary inspection when removed. This time? FLEE!

Pesto runs from feathers too. Mayo at least stands her ground, picks them up and realizes they're fun to twirl. :3:

Mayo is definitely the first to apply her beak to anything. She somehow, despite being a tiny budgerigar, managed to almost take apart the brackets that hold up my bathroom mirror... Like imagine if she was successful.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I like to poke my birds with their shed feathers.

Sera will nibble them politely. Ozzy is equally likely to Bible playfully or yank it away from me angrily because how dare I.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

If I give alex one of his feathers, he just starts preening it while I hold it. He’s very big into social grooming.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Serra always yanks away a feather if held up to her, because she MUST inspect and preen it.

This tail feather? Snek!

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I feel horrible atm :(

I KNOW it needed to be done but still....ugh. We can't get the two featherdemon buttnuggets into the vet to get their nails trimmed, so we had to try doing it ourselves tonight...they were SO LONG and sharp and catching on stuff, so we decided to try to bite the bullet and do it ourselves. Soonest we could get into the bird vet would be June 4th and it wasn't going to wait any longer. I had the Bird First Aid Kit all ready to go if needed too.

Cricket was first, and she hated every min of it :( I had to towel her and hold her while R was in charge of emory boarding and clipping the very end of the nail. This was soooo awful, she made the saddest noises I have ever heard out of her. She was birb-burritoed and giving me the look of WHY WHY YOU DO THIS? in between sad little noises/squeaks, then pipes up with "not ok not ok" as well.

Finally got her done and she was so mad at me she wouldn't even come over to me for a good 10 minutes....I gave her some nutriberries and sunflower seeds to try to make up for it, but...she mad :(

Trevor was a little better...he put up a HUGE fight until I got him with the towel and birb-burritoed him as he made these tiny little alarm calls...then he went silent. Totally silent and still just staring at me. Every so often he would bite the towel, but then he would stare at me the whole time. He got done, and then he jumped up to my shoulder, and leaned in and said: "it's ok don't worry good Trev", and proceeded to try to shag my ear so I guess he got over the indignity of getting his toes done.

He too got nutriberries, sunflower seeds, and 2 almonds for being such a good boy! Cricket wont touch bird nuts so I didn't offer her any this time.She is currently sitting on the other side fo the cage glaring at me balefully as I type this. Its going to be a long night ugh.

I'm so glad this is over. I am not sure who was more stressed... me holding two mad birbs, R who was trying to do their nails, or the buttnuggets :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Disco Salmon posted:

and proceeded to try to shag my ear so I guess he got over the indignity of getting his toes done.

TREVOR.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost

Disco Salmon posted:

I feel horrible atm :(

I KNOW it needed to be done but still....ugh. We can't get the two featherdemon buttnuggets into the vet to get their nails trimmed, so we had to try doing it ourselves tonight...they were SO LONG and sharp and catching on stuff, so we decided to try to bite the bullet and do it ourselves. Soonest we could get into the bird vet would be June 4th and it wasn't going to wait any longer. I had the Bird First Aid Kit all ready to go if needed too.

Cricket was first, and she hated every min of it :( I had to towel her and hold her while R was in charge of emory boarding and clipping the very end of the nail. This was soooo awful, she made the saddest noises I have ever heard out of her. She was birb-burritoed and giving me the look of WHY WHY YOU DO THIS? in between sad little noises/squeaks, then pipes up with "not ok not ok" as well.

Finally got her done and she was so mad at me she wouldn't even come over to me for a good 10 minutes....I gave her some nutriberries and sunflower seeds to try to make up for it, but...she mad :(

Trevor was a little better...he put up a HUGE fight until I got him with the towel and birb-burritoed him as he made these tiny little alarm calls...then he went silent. Totally silent and still just staring at me. Every so often he would bite the towel, but then he would stare at me the whole time. He got done, and then he jumped up to my shoulder, and leaned in and said: "it's ok don't worry good Trev", and proceeded to try to shag my ear so I guess he got over the indignity of getting his toes done.

He too got nutriberries, sunflower seeds, and 2 almonds for being such a good boy! Cricket wont touch bird nuts so I didn't offer her any this time.She is currently sitting on the other side fo the cage glaring at me balefully as I type this. Its going to be a long night ugh.

I'm so glad this is over. I am not sure who was more stressed... me holding two mad birbs, R who was trying to do their nails, or the buttnuggets :(

Best strategy is to do it as fast as is safely possible, then plunk them down and pretend absolutely nothing happened. Preferably where you can break line of sight, even if it's just they have to wriggle out of the towel burrito. "It must've been some other weirdo that looked like me doing those nasty things, I don't know what you're talking about"

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Disco Salmon posted:

he decided to trust you :3:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Galbedir's sad little squeals and ineffectual attempts to bite when I trim his lil nails... :negative:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Wouldn't trimmers be less stressful compared to an emery board? I've seen birds trimmed using nail clippers without any issue.

Just trying to help. :downs:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Clippers definitely freak them out too, especially if they get clipped too close to the quick and bleed. Crouton has never had a bleedy toenail (she's got pink toes and claws so you can see where you can get to) and she's MORE aggressive than Galbedir, who has been clipped too close a couple of times.

Once they're free they don't mind either way. The scary part is being held in place while THE CLIPPER menaces them.

Galbedir is an innocent baby though who has never drawn blood while biting even when in fear of his life due to clipping.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Being restrained is pretty awful for birds, I guess.

Occasionally I scoop up Sera and hold him in place while I kiss him and he goes OH NOOOOO but he also accepts it and it's very much a game with us, up to a certain point, and then the game is over. Ozzy hates this game and is very alarmed by it despite Sera's participation, and also despite the fact that no one is meaner to Sera than Ozzy.

Yesterday Ozzy threw a plastic container off the top of the fridge and then yelled at Sera over it. I think he's experimenting with throwing things but the plastic container was noisier than he liked.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

We've done Teeka's nails since we've got him. My dad uses a Dremel and I will put him on his back, lightly hold his wings in, and pretty firmly hold on to snake murder neck with a towel. We give him something to destroy and can get it done in like two minutes with minimal fuss.

I think he's just used to it at this point. He's also a very good boy, which helps.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Wouldn't trimmers be less stressful compared to an emery board? I've seen birds trimmed using nail clippers without any issue.

Just trying to help. :downs:

We have a pair of bird trimmers but between R and me, we cant see the ends of their toes that great lol That why we went with the emery board cos he could control it a bit better.

We wouldn't mind using the Dremel, but R is the one who would be using it cos he is afraid of hurting the birds while holding them, so I get to hold them and he does the nails. The Dremel was a bit too much to ask of R just yet...he is very worried about hurting them so getting him to use the clippers/emery board was a huge thing :) (I'm proud of him!)

And yes, Cricket is still mildly pissed at me, and Trevor I think forgot about everything per usual as of this morning. (I think he got a goldfish somewhere in his DNA tbh)

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 16, 2020

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Max on YouTube's most well known video is him freaking out at going to the vet to get his nails done. I guess even if a professional is doing it, being held to get your nails did is upsetting to a bird.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
In lockdown I've finally been carefully taking apart the old parrot books I've collected for 5 years, to use the pictures for art projects. The caption on this one from the 60s or 70s is basically parrots.txt

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I can't do this any more. The issue keeps escalating. Even visitors to my home are like what the gently caress. We're at the point it's once a second. This bird has not bathed or played or preened in days, just cried for my husband from morning to night. Literally no preening or bathing or so much as touching a toy or chewing on a thing even though i replaced his favourite seagrass mat swing. It is literally relentless. We are going to seek another vet opinion and if they don't have any suggestions it may be time to think about rehoming him to an environment where he is not so fixated on a human he neglects his own upkeep, for everyone's sake. This situation is breaking my loving heart and sucks on every side but I can't work or sleep or cope and mochi is on the equivalent of week 3 unwashed bird boxers just yelling for sex every waking moment.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

subpar anachronism posted:

I can't do this any more. The issue keeps escalating. Even visitors to my home are like what the gently caress. We're at the point it's once a second. This bird has not bathed or played or preened in days, just cried for my husband from morning to night. Literally no preening or bathing or so much as touching a toy or chewing on a thing even though i replaced his favourite seagrass mat swing. It is literally relentless. We are going to seek another vet opinion and if they don't have any suggestions it may be time to think about rehoming him to an environment where he is not so fixated on a human he neglects his own upkeep, for everyone's sake. This situation is breaking my loving heart and sucks on every side but I can't work or sleep or cope and mochi is on the equivalent of week 3 unwashed bird boxers just yelling for sex every waking moment.

Sounds like he's being wrecked by his hormones. Your vet might be able to suggest :birddrugs: or estrogen implant options. Worst case scenario might be caponization (aka castration) though that is rarely done in parrots.

Searching for that led me to this somewhat horrifying old instruction pamphlet for a "Sears Easy-On Caponizing Set" so I guess it isn't that dangerous or complicated to do.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 16, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

subpar anachronism posted:

I hope your second vet opinion works out. It definitely sounds like some sort of hormonal problem.

I'm hoping it all works out and sorry you're getting put through the wringer.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

My budgies hatched their first egg today. (This baby was badly wanted by me since before quarantine! :) )

The hatchling is out of its egg and curled up under its mom. :sax: I am not naming it until it lives for a week- until then, it’s just The Baby, like the baby in Metroid.

I want to love it so much, but I am trying to hold my heart back a bit until it shows signs of thriving! Chick life is precarious.

But it’s a little pink worm of a baby and my birds did it. And they gave me a feeling of hope: I haven’t seen new life in ages.

Beautiful! Even though it’s small and weird looking, it’s beautiful... to me! :swoon:

e: Only one other egg started developing, but I left all six eggs to discourage my hen Starr from over-laying. It worked! I don’t know if I’ll end up with one hatchling or two, but that’s fine. It won’t be more than two, and I have one household lined up to take the second baby if needed.

Hug in a Can fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 17, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

That’s so awesome :3:

I forbid Blue and Yellow from mating, because I’d keep them all and eventually be overrun by semi feral parakeets.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm so sorry you all are at this point, subpar. :(

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hug in a Can posted:

My budgies hatched their first egg today. (This baby was badly wanted by me since before quarantine! :) )

The hatchling is out of its egg and curled up under its mom. :sax: I am not naming it until it lives for a week- until then, it’s just The Baby, like the baby in Metroid.

I want to love it so much, but I am trying to hold my heart back a bit until it shows signs of thriving! Chick life is precarious.

But it’s a little pink worm of a baby and my birds did it. And they gave me a feeling of hope: I haven’t seen new life in ages.

Beautiful! Even though it’s small and weird looking, it’s beautiful... to me! :swoon:

e: Only one other egg started developing, but I left all six eggs to discourage my hen Starr from over-laying. It worked! I don’t know if I’ll end up with one hatchling or two, but that’s fine. It won’t be more than two, and I have one household lined up to take the second baby if needed.

Congratulations :3:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

How do you manage to stick a poop up there. I'm just impressed.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

nielsm posted:

Good thing it's right near the toilet paper.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nielsm posted:

They like to let go as they bank corners I find

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
so if everything goes well and according to plan...

...we will be adopting a sun conure!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

GoldStandardConure posted:

so if everything goes well and according to plan...

...we will be adopting a sun conure!

Hooray!!!

I know the video is old, but the edits make it hilarious again. Sound!
https://i.imgur.com/8RumbjF.mp4

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
that poor hamster

or whatever it is. its not a guinea pig that much I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

GoldStandardConure posted:

that poor hamster

or whatever it is. its not a guinea pig that much I know.

Hopefully it doesn't mind being turned into a fine goo at that speed!

Lol pesto regurgitating seeds to mayo, misses, they both start happily eating slimy throat seeds off the ground