Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

The episode involves helping pursue an escaped criminal on a planet the federation want to bring into the fold but is officially neutral. The species of the planet are evolved from speed hunters and rub against what they perceive as slow humans both physically and the beaucracy humans love. Quickly it becomes a race to track down the escapee with the federation crew forced to work on their own after multiple times the federation gets near the eacapee only to have him sprint away from their slower moving away lead officer.

At the end of the episode, the away lead on foot catches up with the criminal who the leaders of the planet have written off as escaped. The escaped criminal, completely exhausted, is unable to mount even token resistance and the lead officer captures him without a struggle. The captain explains to his utterly dumbfounded counterpart from the species military that humans evolved from a very different species, one that used persistance to hunt. The now terrified species military officers make a report to their leadership, realizing that the federation helping them, here along with their other projects and treaties, was probably just another piece of the hunt of bringing their world into the federation and that his species isnt able to see that its happening to them.

good good. this is classic trek. this is trek to the core of trek. this is star trek, a star trek episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

geordi is no longer jealous that data gets laid more

also maybe geordi is less creepy about dating he seems like a really nice guy, like, i WANT to root for him butttt hes kinda creep status

E: geordi is the type of guy that actually would meet a woman that wants him to carry a printer to her quarters, but he would gently caress it up and just use the transporter instead

Worf fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 7, 2020

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

A new series set in the late 25th Century featuring the crew of the brand new Enterprise H as they go on weekly adventures around the galaxy. Have some vague overarching plotline that ties the season together that isn't the end of the multiverse due to a naughty computer program. Featuring a cameo of Riker/Troi/LaForge/Worf in old person makeup for one episode. They can call it Star Trek: The Next Next Generation.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

keiko finally stops being jealous of julian

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Statutory Ape posted:

geordi is no longer jealous that data gets laid more

also maybe geordi is less creepy about dating he seems like a really nice guy, like, i WANT to root for him butttt hes kinda creep status

E: geordi is the type of guy that actually would meet a woman that wants him to carry a printer to her quarters, but he would gently caress it up and just use the transporter instead

In Geordi's defense, I believe that the ship's computer was explicitly trying to manipulate him into falling for her by taking the form of Lea Brahms

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

FunkyAl posted:

In Geordi's defense, I believe that the ship's computer was explicitly trying to manipulate him into falling for her by taking the form of Lea Brahms

The Enterprise computer wanted Geordi for itself.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Bogus Adventure posted:

She wanted to fry him in her warp core

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the leah married to geordi in the all good things future is the self-aware enterprise-d computer, transferred into a mobile emitter derived from the voyager dr’s

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Speaking of the voyager doctor, there are thousands of them from all the timelines that voyager returned to earth from over the next 200 years. He was the only consistent survivor, there are multiple others but more in the score of hundreds of persons.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The crew is sent to investigate a remote federation station situated over a world lost temporarily during a previous war and not yet repopulated when a small satchel of unmarked gold pressed latinum is discovered on the station. The crew begin their investigation, with a small away team exploring the ruins of the world for clues while the rest stay on station.

As the mystery unfolds it becomes clear some of the station crew have been salvaging material from the planet but all of the material is ultimately accounted for on the station itself. At the same time, while the station gets unusually high traffic from Klingons their logs and docks are fully in order, not one has ever visited the planets surface.

At the end of the episode it is revealed the salvaging crew is selling data from the surface to the klingons in exchange for the latinum. Before they arrest the crew, it is revealed the data they are selling is something that is illegal to create or sell in federation space, but not illegal to possess so no crime has technically been committed. The data is ancient archival footage of the human bloodsport "american football".

As a closer, it is revealed the gold pressed latinum is being sent to one of the station crews mother who, not understanding why it is valuable has decorated her house with it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Deep range probes have detected what appears to be a gateway, located in a distant star system, that either leads to another galaxy or to another dimension entirely. As the probe neared the system, interference increased until the probe could no longer maintain communications, and the probe has not been heard from since. This demands investigation: is it a gateway? Where does it go? What lies beyond?

Given the extreme distance and importance of this discovery, the Federation has decided that this task is too vital and possibly too large to entrust to any single starship.

A flotilla of starships, led and supported by its Galaxy-class flagship (which will, with this series premise and modern production technique, finally be allowed to fully flourish in its multi-role capacity), makes its way from the Federation frontier out into the great unexplored mass of the galaxy, to find and investigate a mysterious gateway. Along the way, they will explore strange new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations, and boldly go where no one has gone before.

The following summaries should not be considered exhaustive rundowns of what would happen in each year of the show, but rather an attempt to illustrate the tone that the series would take in each year.

Year One:

The flotilla assembles in the outer reaches of the Federation. A few stories with familiar trappings (a Federation colony in trouble, a Romulan ship skulking around, a pompous rear end at a starbase makes trouble) as they make their way outbound. A celebration as the ships officially push out beyond where any Starfleet ship has ever gone before, and an appropriate ceremony for those in the crew who have never before been out to Deep Space. News that one of the other deep range probes has been retasked to also approach the gateway star system ahead of the flotilla. Contact with a spacedwelling form of life.

Year Two:

First Contact with a heretofore unknown civilization. One of the smaller ships suffers frequent malfunctions, slowing down progress and causing substantial frustration among the flotilla, and even leading to a question of whether to send her back to Federation space (they figure it out and get going again, eventually). The second probe that was redirected in the first year suffers the same fate as the first probe, but not before sending back confusing data contradictory to what was previously received from the first probe. A friendly competition between the ships in the flotilla results in both a tragedy and a triumph. A space trading post is discovered: some of the crew experience adventure (and misadventure) here as they enjoy some shore leave; the flotilla commanders argue the perils and promise of bargaining for information with technology; and more information about the gateway system is also found, possibly at the cost of tipping others off that something important is there. The flotilla nears the gateway star system.

Year Three:

As the flotilla approaches the gateway star system, their communications with Starfleet (already at great delay and minimal bandwidth) degrade into uselessness. The wreckage of one of the probes is discovered; engineers determine that it appears to have destroyed itself deliberately. The challenges of acting as mobile starbase to several other starships while maintaining herself stretches (but does not quite break) the limits of the flagship. A small fleet of unknown starships waits in orbit of one of the planets of the gateway star system; at first thought of as sentries, they seem to neither challenge the flotilla nor respond to its hails, despite clearly being powered up and active, and appearing to communicate with each other. The gateway is investigated. The flotilla's mettle is severely tested by what appears to be a very ancient artifact of enormous size and power, and unknown purpose.

In part because this is a bit by the seat of my pants, and also because I'm not a great writer, I don't know (yet) what the mystery or nature of the gateway would ultimately be. I do think there should be quite a bit of Awe involved; a momentous, overwhelming occasion for even the most experienced and competent Starfleet officers.

In my mind the flotilla (or at least, elements of it) would return to Federation space, with at least a handful of episodes showing the voyage back, letting the characters decompress a bit, and having a couple of minor adventures along the way - maybe have them superficially similar to ones experienced near the beginning of the show, so as to illustrate how this experience has changed Our Heroes. I'm not certain if this should be a full Year Four or perhaps just an epilogue.

tl;dr - my dream Star Trek would be one that gets the hell away from so much of the astropolitical cruft that's built up in Trek over the years, strikes out into the unknown, attempts to restore a sense of awe and wonder at the Final Frontier, and cherishes the camaraderie and values held by people who come from a fundamentally more just society than the one we live in today.

and, admittedly, indulges a little in flexing the design capabilities of a starship many of us love but never quite got to see fully spread its wings because of production limitations of the past.

I unironically love this idea a lot. Especially because it would give the opportunity to explore crews on multiple ships.

drat, now I'm sad it'll never happen.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Bogus Adventure posted:

i wonder if that made things awk in engineering after broccoli made his sex dungeon interface link in the holodeck on that one episode

E: jk, it definitely made engineering awk

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Statutory Ape posted:

i wonder if that made things awk in engineering after broccoli made his sex dungeon interface link in the holodeck on that one episode

E: jk, it definitely made engineering awk

It's Engineering, it was already awkward as gently caress.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
A TNG reboot where Picard is played by Tom Hardy but as ripped and shirtless as he is in batman/bronson. He's still the same philosophical Jean-Luc we all know and love but occasionally he'll just tear one of the bad guys of the week in half like Captain America tearing that log.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I want a show just about Vulcan. All the characters are Vulcan, we see Vulcan society with Starfleet, it wasn't blow'd up because this is Picard universe or whatever. But tie in all the other, surviving version of Vulcan, they got the big soul-backup rocks and computer-voice meditation games and penny-curtains like in the movies and they wear upholstery fabric and mill about in bazaars like in TNG, and there's sabre-tooth tigers for pets like in the animated series, just all the great Vulcan poo poo in one show about our first contact species and how they see Starfleet.

If you got tired of being on a planet and want to get back to trek basics Defiant-style, make it a crew of all vulcans and one human who is like Anti-spock, he's always trying to get everybody to lighten up but there's frequent lessons about how he ought to embrace Vulcan ideals. Their Vulcan doctor calls him a red-blooded barbarian but the captain keeps his council for a valued different point of view, it'd be fun.

Edit- instead of having Spock calculating odds, the Vulcan captain would always ask his human first mate "what does your human 'gut' say, number one?" and the Vulcans treat it like human magic being able to make calls without enough information.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 11, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Full-on Harry Potter-style Starfleet Academy show. Make it loving happen.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

Full-on Harry Potter-style Starfleet Academy show. Make it loving happen.

They actually got as far as concept art for this

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There's no way not to. On an unrelated note why isn't that like the very first idea JK Rowling went with when designing new Harry Potter instead of all this "Fantastic Beasts" garbage? Hogwarts is literally all most people care about in Harry Potter whether they admit it or not, so just send some new kids there.

I say do Starfleet Academy for the moralizing, do Star Trek: Andromeda like suggested above to get the astropolitical stuff out and get into exploring and survival and the moral quandaries that arise, and then do a show on a Starbase in the post-VOY era trying to deal with all of the ludicrous bullshit expansion and geopolitics of DS9, VOY, and even Nemesis/2009.

Hits all three prongs I want out of Trek without any one overwhelming the premise of the others

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I feel like I saw it upthread but a Trek that is extremely outside of Starfleet. Like lean even harder into DS9, but without even the pretense of navy nonsense. All diplomats and anthropologists and botanists.

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I want a show just about Vulcan. All the characters are Vulcan, we see Vulcan society with Starfleet, it wasn't blow'd up because this is Picard universe or whatever. But tie in all the other, surviving version of Vulcan, they got the big soul-backup rocks and computer-voice meditation games and penny-curtains like in the movies and they wear upholstery fabric and mill about in bazaars like in TNG, and there's sabre-tooth tigers for pets like in the animated series, just all the great Vulcan poo poo in one show about our first contact species and how they see Starfleet.

If you got tired of being on a planet and want to get back to trek basics Defiant-style, make it a crew of all vulcans and one human who is like Anti-spock, he's always trying to get everybody to lighten up but there's frequent lessons about how he ought to embrace Vulcan ideals. Their Vulcan doctor calls him a red-blooded barbarian but the captain keeps his council for a valued different point of view, it'd be fun.

Edit- instead of having Spock calculating odds, the Vulcan captain would always ask his human first mate "what does your human 'gut' say, number one?" and the Vulcans treat it like human magic being able to make calls without enough information.

I'd really like this.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I want to see the immigrant experience in the Federation. There's gotta be a ton of refugees and political exiles and people who are just tired of working for wages who think moving to Earth or Vulcan or a Starbase or whatever is a good idea. Gimme that culture shock.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I know people don't want a war heavy show, but I do think making Photonics an antagonist faction could be pretty cool. Their "ships" would just be small computers that the Federation can't track very well, and then they'd turn on holo-emitters and a giant ship appears.

Besides, sentient Photonics leaving the federation would 100% track due to how they're used. Especially since they seem to be created and discarded so causally.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

paragon1 posted:

I want to see the immigrant experience in the Federation. There's gotta be a ton of refugees and political exiles and people who are just tired of working for wages who think moving to Earth or Vulcan or a Starbase or whatever is a good idea. Gimme that culture shock.

so ds9

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

No.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I see potential there-- like showing that sure you don't have to work but there's an insidious social pressure to avoid being indolent, and how stuff like "Keeping up with the Joneses" manifests in a world where you can both have equally excellent wardrobes and toys. Snotty and snobby people who twist Federation Values into a way to avoid integrating immigrants they don't like. Hell you could even get topical and focus in on social media as a form of currency in a post-scarcity society.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

mind the walrus posted:

I see potential there-- like showing that sure you don't have to work but there's an insidious social pressure to avoid being indolent, and how stuff like "Keeping up with the Joneses" manifests in a world where you can both have equally excellent wardrobes and toys. Snotty and snobby people who twist Federation Values into a way to avoid integrating immigrants they don't like. Hell you could even get topical and focus in on social media as a form of currency in a post-scarcity society.

Thanks for reminding me that "The Player of Games" ruled

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah! And like how it ends up impacting the internal dynamics of incoming groups. How do Mr. and Mrs. Klingon keep their kid going to bat'leth practice and upholding the family honor when they're surrounded by a culture that sees those things as a hobby at best? What happens to groups that see themselves as bound together by wealth when they move to a place where that just isn't a thing? What, if anything, do they replace it with?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Squizzle posted:

if paramount called me tomorrow to let me do any trek project i wanted, no questions asked, i would do an assignment earth spinoff that was barely recognizable as trek but was fuckin awesome

if they said, squizzle, no, plz make it an actual star trek, we beg of you, then i would go for a ship specializing in “secons contact”. like after first contact has been made, these guys come in and spend the long weeks needed to really get a civilization up to speed on what being a participant in galactic culture means. technology, political situations, etc. prob short arcs for each planet, the occasional one-off ep. absolute requirement, non-negotiable: deltan officer as a main character

Secon ship is the premise of the cartoon, so it's partially there.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I want Star Trek with more alien crewmembers, and species that are not just one-offs. Especially Tellarites. Tellarites make me laugh, and I can imagine having one as part of the core cast would rule. They are grumpy pig-dwarves for whom arguments are an art form.

What I'm saying is that Tellarites are goons, and that I want to be in a Star Trek show.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Bogus Adventure posted:

I want Star Trek with more alien crewmembers, and species that are not just one-offs. Especially Tellarites. Tellarites make me laugh, and I can imagine having one as part of the core cast would rule. They are grumpy pig-dwarves for whom arguments are an art form.

What I'm saying is that Tellarites are goons, and that I want to be in a Star Trek show.

Your desires are bad, you smell awful and your romulan ale is just synthehol

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

the female changling becomes the alpha & the omega

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Your desires are bad, you smell awful and your romulan ale is just synthehol

Turn on your viewscreen and activate your maintenance and cleaning system.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
My dreamtrek would be a 5th season of Farscape.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Does NuTrek still produce things like books of ship blueprints? Things like that were my favorite parts of Star Trek and Star Wars, looking at carefully drawn exploded diagrams of engines and pinpointing where all the black boxes that run on fairy magic are.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
My DreamTrek is basically "Star Trek: The West Wing" a little after the Khitomer Peace Accords and well before TNG.

In short, we follow the newly elected president of the Federation and what his administration does in relation to the Federation as a whole. Yeah a human and probably due to producer leanings it'll be a Martin Sheen stand-in so let's just call the Federation president Martin Sheen for this DreamTrek. Maybe Martin Sheen is from the old school of thought but is actively learning and embracing the new order of the universe, or perhaps he's the first wave of what the TNG Federation would become and he's trying to get people to embrace that future. But always at the core of every challenge or problem, is the investment of the beliefs of diversity, knowledge, and peaceful resolutions.

How did the early days of the Federation-Empire get along? Where did all these notable TNG near-historical figures come from, from a wider perspective? Diplomacy, Alien-of-the-Week, the graduation of technology from TOS to TNG, questions about the greater good or the individual right, moments of light brevity, interpersonal drama, analogies to real world problems. It's all applicable to this "better version of ourselves", at a slower more well adjusted wider scale than trying to crush the problems of the world into a single moment of a frantic bridge crew spat.

Of course, there's going to be a push for a "big bad". What's our old Klingons? Or our pre-Borg? As a main antagonist, the Romulans are kinda an easy out, but I'd prefer they'd just be a worthy chess opponent you don't take your eyes off of for one second. I'd honestly say, there should really only be a small but obvious pushback on progress from within the Federation, meaning our biggest bad is "ourselves", or at least our worse tendencies that surface every now and then.

But as far as a big drama arc, I give you the Season 2 and 3 big arc: Andoria is Burning.

One of the things that I wonder is why TNG and beyond didn't have a lot of Andorian presence. Sure ENT made something work on that, and Disco at least has some background dressings with Andorians, but after ST6 it seemed like Andorians were exceedingly rare. This would be my attempt to create a reason for it.

Andoria, is a stand-in possible-analogy for America right now: Fighty, mouthy, brash, often non-cooperative. But at least in Star Trek terms, they understand the importance of the Federation. For some reason, that changes. Andorian politics get more isolationist and antagonistic. They don't like being at peace with the Klingons, and old dogwhistle slurs start to pop into their diplomatic exchanges. They withdraw from agreements and treaties, while demanding more authority over "security" matters. Feud fights get more frequent, and more deadly. Andorian politics begins to split the race in two main factions vying for control of Andoria's future. And then, civil war erupts on Andoria. The rest of the Federation is beside itself trying to figure out how to stop this ethically, without a full peacekeeping invasion, suppression, and occupation. Martin Sheen has to still play nice and smile for both factions, because Andoria never seceded from the Federation, and while he'd prefer the side that's more sensible, both have their chances at pissing him off. At a point, the Federation has to make a choice of who to back militarily to end the bloodshed. It turns out to be a bad move, because the opposition gets desperate and uses WMDs. The fighting stops soon after the war crimes, but the damage is done: 60% of Andorians are dead. They aren't endangered, but they are a shadow of what they once were. No one wins.

And yet, Martin Sheen still believes in the value of Andorian life, and publicly asks the Federation and allies for help. Because it's the right thing not just for them, but for everyone. That we'd lose something that makes the Federation so special, even worth dying for, if the Andorians were left to die out, out of indifference or spite, for causing so much trouble.

On the other hand, this also leads to the amended articles of what TNG referred to as the Prime Directive, so that the Federation never makes the same political mistake again.

Those are the kind of things I'd see explored, in what I'd call Star Trek: Federation.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Ainsley gets an office in a warp nacelle

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Does NuTrek still produce things like books of ship blueprints? Things like that were my favorite parts of Star Trek and Star Wars, looking at carefully drawn exploded diagrams of engines and pinpointing where all the black boxes that run on fairy magic are.

Aside from Discovery's re-imagining of the original Enterprise and Disco itself, most of the ships in NuTrek kind of lackluster and stink of "video game NPC asset reuse that you're not supposed to see on screen for more than three seconds" compared to the post-First Contact non-hero ships. So they're not really the stuff you can publish metatextual blueprint books on or make Eaglemoss models out of.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Aside from Discovery's re-imagining of the original Enterprise and Disco itself, most of the ships in NuTrek kind of lackluster and stink of "video game NPC asset reuse that you're not supposed to see on screen for more than three seconds" compared to the post-First Contact non-hero ships. So they're not really the stuff you can publish metatextual blueprint books on or make Eaglemoss models out of.

e.g: "Why would we want to do that nerd poo poo?" attitude that permeates the first two NuTrek movies.

Although to be completely fair the economic considerations did change pretty drastically from the late 90s. Print book margins are slimmer than ever, so why go in so hard on drawing up fictional blueprints and selling them?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

It was such an elegant system, you see a movie about spaceship models, you build those spaceship models. Eventually you make your own movies with your own spaceship models and it repeats. I don't think moving to CGI models should necessarily have made us care less about where the bathrooms and secret compartments in the pretty little ships are, should it?

Edit-

mind the walrus posted:

e.g: "Why would we want to do that nerd poo poo?" attitude that permeates the first two NuTrek movies.

Although to be completely fair the economic considerations did change pretty drastically from the late 90s. Print book margins are slimmer than ever, so why go in so hard on drawing up fictional blueprints and selling them?

I would totally buy E-books of that stuff too. But I see your point.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 16, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
a'ight, a'ight, careful, we're getting good dreamtreks in there, I am 100% on board with ragging on the new ships, but this is a thread for dreams and joyful thoughts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

My dream trek takes place at Star Fleet Engineering and stars a class of wacky upstarts who dunk on the old ship designs all day, while Dean LaForge tries to keep order despite a campus-wide prank war!