Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tremek posted:

Even as a wagon nerd myself I wouldnt have predicted a clean but pedestrian e350 wagon with 131k miles would bring $20k. Thats nuts.

gvibes posted:

loving wagon prices on the used market.

Ok yeah thanks guys, thanks for confirming Im not crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Jeez, thats crazy. Maybe time to start exporting wagons from Canada?

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

gvibes posted:

loving wagon prices on the used market.

I swear being a wagon adds at least $10K to the used price of any otherwise-equivalent E-class sedan. I've seen coupes and even convertibles go for less than the wagons.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Its crazy how much of a difference there is between the price of an E350 sedan and E350 wagon on the used market. Essentially the same car but with a 25-50 percent markup for the wagons. Same goes for the 2014+ redesign, a sedan will be sub $20k and a wagon will be $25-30k. Im pretty sure the new E400s are like that as well but I havent looked into them as much as those wagons are way out of my price range.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Modus Man posted:

Its crazy how much of a difference there is between the price of an E350 sedan and E350 wagon on the used market. Essentially the same car but with a 25-50 percent markup for the wagons. Same goes for the 2014+ redesign, a sedan will be sub $20k and a wagon will be $25-30k. Im pretty sure the new E400s are like that as well but I havent looked into them as much as those wagons are way out of my price range.

They are, I was looking at lightly used E400s today on Autotrader and the wagons are significantly more expensive

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

When my 14 E63s wagon burned last summer insurance gave me ~$5k over what I paid for it because I both negotiated a good price for it and because wagon prices are nuts.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

All the car nerds in love with wagons will never buy new so they are all fighting over a handful of old cheap ones and creating a mini bubble. Also gently caress the BaT effect

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Infinotize posted:

Also gently caress BaT
Fixed that for you. Since their money grab of doing auctions, their site is absolutely useless/uninteresting.

Last night, some dipshit broke into my w124; my typical glass place didn't even try to source the triangle of glass but I called the classic center and it's coming from the fatherland in a couple days. :sigh:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What did that set you back?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

list was like 140 but I am a mercedes club member so there's a discount

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That's why I didn't even lock the doors on my W126 or old BMWs, the glass is worth way more than whatever I left in the glove compartment

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

EvilMoFo posted:

list was like 140 but I am a mercedes club member so there's a discount

I'm amazed it was that cheap. Usually that is the most expensive piece of glass by a long shot.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Picked up a 2010 E63 yesterday. Decided I wanted another AMG and particularly the 6.2L NA instead of the newer (and quicker) turbocharged engines.

Compared to my old E55 it's lacking in low and mid-range power but once it gets up over 6,000 RPM it's an absolute monster. The 7-speed MCT is also a huge improvement over the old 5-speed. I'm not sure if it's as good as a ZF 8-speed but shifts are fast and smooth, if a little jerky at low speeds.

It's been 24 hours and I haven't been able to get any warning lights to turn on yet so we are off to a strong start.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mercedes C43 so good. Dont even need a C63.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The one thing I learned after tonight is that the S-Class can be possessed.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Are there any good guides to buying and owning a W211 these days, preferably in Europe? I've lusted after one for a while, and I'm pretty much settled on an Avantgarde model, and at a minimum an E220CDI or E240 gas engine. I'm still undecided on pre/post facelift and don't know what was changed there, or what the situation is with SBC or air suspension problems.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My new-to-me E63 won't start. I made it less than a month. I can hear the starter relay clicking but the engine won't crank at all. Hoping it's the battery but accessory power is strong and the battery looks fairly new and has an 02/18 sticker on it. Going to drop a new one in just in case. If that doesn't work I'm pretty sure it needs a new starter motor which isn't terribly surprising after 10 years and over 80,000 miles.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Mileage means nothing with a starter.

Sounds like battery to me. Should have warranty with that new of a date.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Colostomy Bag posted:

Mileage means nothing with a starter.

Sounds like battery to me. Should have warranty with that new of a date.

Hope you're right as I don't want to have to tow it from the roof of my parking garage where it's currently sitting. I found a coupon for $50 off a nice AGM battery so I bought it online this weekend. but haven't had a chance to head over and pick it up yet.

Just needed a better jump! Weird since it was sitting for less than a week. The battery was dead when I went to test drive it and I haven't run it much so probably isn't fully charged yet.

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 6, 2020

stranger danger
May 24, 2006

evobatman posted:

Are there any good guides to buying and owning a W211 these days, preferably in Europe? I've lusted after one for a while, and I'm pretty much settled on an Avantgarde model, and at a minimum an E220CDI or E240 gas engine. I'm still undecided on pre/post facelift and don't know what was changed there, or what the situation is with SBC or air suspension problems.

I was looking at getting one for awhile, in the US though. You probably want to avoid the pre-facelift cars. Solid drivetrains (including the straight-6 diesel) but they were made during the low-point of Daimler Chrysler build quality. They also have SBC which is an expensive when-not-if fix and supposedly can completely fail without warning.

Post-facelift cars got rid of SBC but drivetrains in the US cars had serious issues. M272 V6/M273 V8 gas cars had defective balance shaft sprockets which could fail and cause the engine to lose time. V6 diesels had problems with emissions equipment. The 7-speed transmission had some expensive problem idr. Also build quality still wasn't good at first.

Basically, you want an '08 or '09. Major issues fixed, the dark days of Daimler Chrysler over, no SBC. If the car has air suspension and the previous owner doesn't have documented proof that they fixed it, you can expect to pony up for that. Good news is you can replace it with normal shocks and springs.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think they extended the SBC warranty to 25 years. Not endorsing getting one though.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The SBC warranty only covers certain parts and others will fail and be a very expensive repair. Plus the brakes always feel weird. Having owned a W211 I would pass unless its a hobby car.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

heated game moment posted:

My new-to-me E63 won't start. I made it less than a month. I can hear the starter relay clicking but the engine won't crank at all. Hoping it's the battery but accessory power is strong and the battery looks fairly new and has an 02/18 sticker on it. Going to drop a new one in just in case. If that doesn't work I'm pretty sure it needs a new starter motor which isn't terribly surprising after 10 years and over 80,000 miles.

Reminds me of a crankshaft position sensor failure in my W210.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

casque posted:

Reminds me of a crankshaft position sensor failure in my W210.

I had one of those failures in my 2005 E55. Surprisingly, the only problem I had with it. I walked home 1/2 mile and drove my motorcycle to Autozone for a 10 minute repair. Bonus: I got to walk a mile more than normal.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Yeah, if you own a Benz of that era, keeping a crank sensor and the tools to replace it in the car isnt the craziest idea in the world. Most often when they fail, the engine will be hot and it will stall. Once it cools down, it might run again for a bit.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I kept having electrical/charging issues with the E63. I had to jump it every time I drove it, after which it ran more or less fine except for one instance where it died on me less than a mile from my apartment and I had to jump it in the middle of the road! All accessories were working fine, but the revs dropped and it stalled out and wouldn't turn back on. This morning it was dead again despite driving it around for about 45 minutes yesterday.

I jumped it and pulled up the in-dash diagnostic menu to get the battery information and noticed some goofy poo poo happening with the voltage and amperage. Just driving it around the parking deck I felt it almost stall when taking off slowly from a dead stop and the amps went negative, then the voltage wouldn't go above the low 12's with the car running when its usually around 14.

Put a new battery in it and everything seems to be working perfectly now. Unfortunately I have nowhere to plug in a battery tender so I'll just have to try and drive it more than I have been and hope nothing is loving up and causing it to drain faster than it should.

The MCT shifts extremely quickly and smoothly but does exhibit some jerkiness and hesitation when start off at low speeds from a stop, especially in sport mode. It's an absolute riot once it gets going though. This car has the same problem as the E55 in that there is so much power you can't legally use it 99% of the time, only it might be worse for the 6.2L since the fun doesn't start until over 4,000 RPM.

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 10, 2020

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Its that time!

Its hilarious trying to drive these things on 6 cylinders.

Sending them off for rebuild to the v12icpack.com guy.
Found him on the V12 FB group. Dude is an absolute legend. Ended up chatting with him till 1 am.
Super knowledgeable, super friendly. Just straight up has a passion for these things. It was great.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 17, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Preoptopus posted:

Its that time!

Its hilarious trying to drive these things on 6 cylinders.

Sending them off for rebuild to the v12icpack.com guy.
Found him on the V12 FB group. Dude is an absolute legend. Ended up chatting with him till 1 am.
Super knowledgeable, super friendly. Just straight up has a passion for these things. It was great.

:lol:
Sorry, nothing to add except

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

sharkytm posted:

Everyone always laughs at the price of these things but
700 per bank im paying him to rebuild these.
If you think about it, it breaks down to 116 a coil which is spot on for what a dual spark coil should go for.
At least this is what im telling myself to deal with it. But on the other hand. When all said and done. Thing should be a blast.

Also job was super easy.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

I kept having electrical/charging issues with the E63. I had to jump it every time I drove it, after which it ran more or less fine except for one instance where it died on me less than a mile from my apartment and I had to jump it in the middle of the road! All accessories were working fine, but the revs dropped and it stalled out and wouldn't turn back on. This morning it was dead again despite driving it around for about 45 minutes yesterday.

I jumped it and pulled up the in-dash diagnostic menu to get the battery information and noticed some goofy poo poo happening with the voltage and amperage. Just driving it around the parking deck I felt it almost stall when taking off slowly from a dead stop and the amps went negative, then the voltage wouldn't go above the low 12's with the car running when its usually around 14.

Put a new battery in it and everything seems to be working perfectly now. Unfortunately I have nowhere to plug in a battery tender so I'll just have to try and drive it more than I have been and hope nothing is loving up and causing it to drain faster than it should.

The MCT shifts extremely quickly and smoothly but does exhibit some jerkiness and hesitation when start off at low speeds from a stop, especially in sport mode. It's an absolute riot once it gets going though. This car has the same problem as the E55 in that there is so much power you can't legally use it 99% of the time, only it might be worse for the 6.2L since the fun doesn't start until over 4,000 RPM.

you need an alternator sounds like

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Preoptopus posted:

Everyone always laughs at the price of these things but
700 per bank im paying him to rebuild these.
If you think about it, it breaks down to 116 a coil which is spot on for what a dual spark coil should go for.
At least this is what im telling myself to deal with it. But on the other hand. When all said and done. Thing should be a blast.

Also job was super easy.

Yep v12 coil guy has quite a nice business.

Yeah, there are great guides on it. About the only problem I see is prying it out without cracking? Were you worried about that?

Also curious why you sent them both to him? My plan is once one fails (which it will) is have him send me one, charge me a core charge and then send the old one back.

It's fairly comical how complicated the ignition system is on detecting misfires.

Doing plugs I assume? If so, which ones?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Preoptopus posted:

you need an alternator sounds like

That's a possibility but it seems to be charging fine now. In my limited experience with alternator failure it's a pretty sudden and immediate event. These cars are so loving complicated though it's tough to diagnose.

I'm still getting a bit of a rough idle/RPM surges at low speeds in drive, usually when the car is cold. This could be any number of things from the transmission to a leak in the intake manifold. No codes or lights though and it drives fine otherwise. Might take it to the dealer this week for an oil change and diagnostic since in my experience with MB dealers they will point out every possible little problem and give a corresponding absurdly expensive quote to fix it.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yep v12 coil guy has quite a nice business.

Yeah, there are great guides on it. About the only problem I see is prying it out without cracking? Were you worried about that?

Also curious why you sent them both to him? My plan is once one fails (which it will) is have him send me one, charge me a core charge and then send the old one back.

It's fairly comical how complicated the ignition system is on detecting misfires.

Doing plugs I assume? If so, which ones?

Not having a car is a bitch and with a a two day turn around plus shipping I can't afford a second breakdown. Yea she does drive on one bank but up here where I am at 10 thousand feet she runs like dog poo poo and can barely get to 60 mph.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

sharkytm posted:

Man, these S65s are a bargain! :v:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Took the E63 to the local MB dealer for a B service and told them to go over everything with a fine tooth comb. So far they have flagged the rear struts (not the air springs) and the driveshaft flex disk. It's actually kinda cool, they send you a video pointing out everything. Haven't gotten the final report yet but I'm betting my $600 visit is gonna turn into at least $2-3K real quick.

If it's not too absurd I may just have them do the work, I got the car cheap enough that putting a few thousand into it almost immediately was expected.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Took the E63 to the local MB dealer for a B service and told them to go over everything with a fine tooth comb. So far they have flagged the rear struts (not the air springs) and the driveshaft flex disk. It's actually kinda cool, they send you a video pointing out everything. Haven't gotten the final report yet but I'm betting my $600 visit is gonna turn into at least $2-3K real quick.

If it's not too absurd I may just have them do the work, I got the car cheap enough that putting a few thousand into it almost immediately was expected.

Whats your mileage? Are you at all handy? As someone who regularly turns oil changes into 3 grand or more on euros, i say dont have em rob you of hundreds of dollars for air filters and cabin filters. Unless you are like my customers who have gently caress you money, all that you can do yourself super easily from youtube videos and you can order all the same parts online. Also they will charge you to do poo poo like lube door hinges and your sun roof. Again poo poo you can do yourself with a can of white lithium. Unless your just extra lazy and trying to burn 3 gs at a benz dealership which by the way will impress no one there.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 21, 2020

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Preoptopus posted:

Whats your mileage? Are you at all handy? As someone who regularly turns oil changes into 3 grand or more on euros, i say dont have em rob you of hundreds of dollars for air filters and cabin filters. Unless you are like my customers who have gently caress you money, all that you can do yourself super easily from youtube videos and you can order all the same parts online. Also they will charge you to do poo poo like lube door hinges and your sun roof. Again poo poo you can do yourself with a can of white lithium. Unless your just extra lazy and trying to burn 3 gs at a benz dealership which by the way will impress no one there.

I sold my house and moved across the country and have no tools anymore, and I'm not trying to buy all that poo poo over again to do work at my apartment and then have to worry about moving it later on. I used to work on my E420 and E55 and tbh it's not for me, I'll leave it to the professionals unless I can do it in the parking deck with a socket wrench. I do need to find a good indy shop here in Utah though.

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 21, 2020

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
i mean air filters take like a t25 torx and thats it but i get it. If working on your car is more frustrating than rewarding thats where the line is imo. Do you man. You didnt answer the mileage question tho. but im guessing they will bid out 1900 bucks.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Preoptopus posted:

i mean air filters take like a t25 torx and thats it but i get it. If working on your car is more frustrating than rewarding thats where the line is imo. Do you man. You didnt answer the mileage question tho. but im guessing they will bid out 1900 bucks.

It's got about 85,000 miles but what appears to be a good maintenance history. Honestly I expected them to find more wrong with it than they did.

The rear suspension on the E63 is a hybrid strut/air spring setup and I'm having trouble finding the strut part online for less than $500. They wanted $1,200 per side to change them but it's nothing crucial so I'll take it elsewhere for that in the future.

They couldn't replicate the fluctuating RPM issue which surprised me, but there are no codes stored. Spark plugs were changed last year so could be the gas here or something.

I've been watching this guy tear into M156 engines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KA34ANVuCc

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
No resolution to the RPM surging issue, they couldn't replicate it and then they wanted to blame the 'torque converter' on the jerkiness from a stop. That is a separate issue intrinsic to the transmission since it doesn't, you know, have a torque converter. I tried to explain the MCT didn't have a torque converter but the rep wasn't interested. I wasn't too impressed and will take it elsewhere next time for sure.

Feels good to get the car back though