Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Kitfox88 posted:

Do you no longer get banned for cheating online cash because of so I’d play it again

you absolutely do unless you pay for a cheat tool, which I didn't, but there was a leak of a paid tool which i grabbed for free. I did this 3 months ago and haven't been banned yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

I think the QoL difference was in relation to Undertail which is uh... not so great shakes at that part.
Fair, I've probably mentioned this before but the creator initially didn't add a run button to his gigantic loving maps because he wanted you to walk slowly and experience the oppressive nature of the metro

(I like Underrail but will never play it twice)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

orcane posted:

Haha that's the one thing you reliably DO get banned for.

Don't mess with their revenue streams. But if you just want to make everyone in your session explode, you might get away with it for ages :v:

figures

Son of Rodney posted:

you absolutely do unless you pay for a cheat tool, which I didn't, but there was a leak of a paid tool which i grabbed for free. I did this 3 months ago and haven't been banned yet.

dammit

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Fair, I've probably mentioned this before but the creator initially didn't add a run button to his gigantic loving maps because he wanted you to walk slowly and experience the oppressive nature of the metro

(I like Underrail but will never play it twice)

I have cheat engine on my computer because the game is unplayable on less than double speed but I keep coming back to try out new builds.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I love it when you can see other levels in games. Super Mario Sunshine is great for this.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

orcane posted:

Haha that's the one thing you reliably DO get banned for.

Don't mess with their revenue streams. But if you just want to make everyone in your session explode, you might get away with it for ages :v:

The tools are really funny I have to admit, the only one I used on the reg on other cheaters or people who were just being annoying, was one where you made people get out of their vehicle. If you're clever about it people never figure out that someone's doing it, and you can ruin their day when making them eject in a bad moment. You also see how many people use cheats and it's honestly a ton. Like, a solid quarter to a third.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

The tools are really funny I have to admit, the only one I used on the reg on other cheaters or people who were just being annoying, was one where you made people get out of their vehicle. If you're clever about it people never figure out that someone's doing it, and you can ruin their day when making them eject in a bad moment. You also see how many people use cheats and it's honestly a ton. Like, a solid quarter to a third.

yeah i eventually gave up between the insane grind to get cash to do actual fun things and people running around invincible with rapid fire rocket launchers and full auto sniper rifles

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Final Fantasy 15: Prompto automatically takes cool screenshots for you.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
I could spam the thread forever with The Wonderful 101, because that game is stuffed to the brim with tiny wonderful details.

But just today I noticed the tiniest detail:
Wonderful 101 is very heavily influenced by low budget Japanese superhero TV shows (think power rangers), so everyone in your team is wearing masks that cover their eyes.
However, pressing RB during a cutscene will make their mask transparent, showing their eyes.
I just noticed that their eyes are almost always scanning right-to-left, right-to-left while talking.

They are reading their lines from a teleprompter off screen.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That is amazing. :allears:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

BadMedic posted:

I could spam the thread forever with The Wonderful 101, because that game is stuffed to the brim with tiny wonderful details.

But just today I noticed the tiniest detail:
Wonderful 101 is very heavily influenced by low budget Japanese superhero TV shows (think power rangers), so everyone in your team is wearing masks that cover their eyes.
However, pressing RB during a cutscene will make their mask transparent, showing their eyes.
I just noticed that their eyes are almost always scanning right-to-left, right-to-left while talking.

They are reading their lines from a teleprompter off screen.

Chip Cheezum never revealed this.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Surge 2: Beaten by someone who bounced off the first game after an hour. This game has all the features stuff that Sekiro cut and has a voice of it's own.
  • In the first game you had to play as a default potato-looking man. Now you can create your potato person, male or female. On their third souls-like Deck 13 has really stepped up their game. For comparison that other German developer, Piranha Bytes, has made seven role-playing games but still won't let you play as a woman,

• Instead of having a limited Estus Flask that can only replenish at checkpoints, now you can recharge your healing charges by just attacking enemies. It's not a big deal getting hurt provided you're able to return your pain with interest.

• The enemies don't dish and take silly amounts of damage. Maybe on NG+. This is one of the easier souls-likes.

• It is very easy to switch up your build. You can respec your stats for cheap and swap out your implants at any point.

• You can break down higher-level crafting materials into lower ones. It's much easier to level up a random weapon you find than you would in a Souls game. 99% of the loot in a Souls game won't be useful to your current build, but 99% of the loot in the Surge 2 can be easily adjusted to.

• Pretty much every level is on the caliber of Undead Burg: shortcuts and secrets are everywhere. Despite being a Metroidvania you can get surprisingly far without the mandatory unlocks. I think only the last level can't be entered early.

• If you don't feel like parrying the bosses there's nothing stopping you from face-tanking like Havel.

• The story is crap, and the most bosses are meh, but who gives a poo poo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So the a large overhaul mod for Dark Souls 3 has gotten a lot of attention lately so I decided to check it out, and there's a lot of neat things in there; the people who made it threw in a lot of references both to the other soulsborne games, but also community in-jokes and memes. It rebalances basically every weapon and enemy and includes optional difficulty toggles so people who just want to experience the content can do so, while the people who always want to jerk themselves raw about how hard Dark Souls is can turn on all of the super challenge stuff and even try for optional No Hit challenges against every boss. There are even ways to refight every boss as much as you want! I've really been enjoying it, and there's even a surprising amount of attention dedicated to returning more armor sets and such from Dark Souls 2 which I appreciate because I like 2. However, my favorite thing about the mod is the smallest, most inane detail: some, very specific, weapons will change their appearances if you infuse them.

Take the Moonlight Greatsword, for example:

If you infuse it into a Holy Moonlight Greatsword it changes to look like the Holy Moonlight Sword from Bloodborne:

This also changes its stat requirements to require 40 faith rather than 40 intelligence, which makes it a viable faith build weapon.

On top of that, a neat reference in and of its self, if you infuse it with a magic infusion it changes thusly:

To look like the spell "Old Moonlight" from the Ringed City DLC. It's all very cool. There are a few other weapons that do similar things that I've found and a few I'm curious to try if/when I find them.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nuebot posted:

So the a large overhaul mod for Dark Souls 3 has gotten a lot of attention lately so I decided to check it out, and there's a lot of neat things in there; the people who made it threw in a lot of references both to the other soulsborne games, but also community in-jokes and memes. It rebalances basically every weapon and enemy and includes optional difficulty toggles so people who just want to experience the content can do so, while the people who always want to jerk themselves raw about how hard Dark Souls is can turn on all of the super challenge stuff and even try for optional No Hit challenges against every boss. There are even ways to refight every boss as much as you want! I've really been enjoying it, and there's even a surprising amount of attention dedicated to returning more armor sets and such from Dark Souls 2 which I appreciate because I like 2. However, my favorite thing about the mod is the smallest, most inane detail: some, very specific, weapons will change their appearances if you infuse them.

Take the Moonlight Greatsword, for example:

If you infuse it into a Holy Moonlight Greatsword it changes to look like the Holy Moonlight Sword from Bloodborne:

This also changes its stat requirements to require 40 faith rather than 40 intelligence, which makes it a viable faith build weapon.

On top of that, a neat reference in and of its self, if you infuse it with a magic infusion it changes thusly:

To look like the spell "Old Moonlight" from the Ringed City DLC. It's all very cool. There are a few other weapons that do similar things that I've found and a few I'm curious to try if/when I find them.

Is this Cinders? Only got about halfway through that, but I loved how the changes to MP and spell-staggering meant you could constantly use the Farron Flashsword and RP as a Jedi.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

IT MAKES YOUR MANA REGENERATE! Goddamn that's so good and important.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

A lot of DS3 feels very half-baked in hindsight. Magic and arts are nerfed because they're tied to a non-replenishing MP bar. Every level is swamp or citadel. No poise. Easily failed side-quests.

While the level-design is excellent, barring Farron Keep and Profaned capitol, the world is a straight line. The game goes really fast that it's jarring to realize Irithyll marks the second half when it barely feels you've gone anywhere.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oh poo poo I am totally going to turn on all of the Shrine challenges and my arse handed to me on a silver titanite platter

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, name that overhaul post haste, give me a reason to play again. Does Co-Op still work with it?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I thought poise actually did exist but they changed how it works from the previous games?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, Poise was changed to be hyper armor so it really only comes into play if you use heavier armor and heavier weapons, and then it only applies to protect you from interruptions in certain frames of an attack animation. If you are not attacking, you will be staggered by basically any attack, but if you are attacking and have heavier armor, you are less likely to be interrupted.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 21:43 on May 17, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I seem to remember some easy tweak that you can do that turns poise back into the way it was in ds1 and 2

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah, name that overhaul post haste, give me a reason to play again. Does Co-Op still work with it?

It was my understanding that it is single player only.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Just Offscreen posted:

The most recently versions have added companions you can summon more freely than standard NPCs to sort of simulate having co-op a little more (reusable item that summons a character at any time and they just hang) but it had to be dialed back so right now it's just Solaire. But you can have Mr. Jolly Cooperation himself with you basically 100% of the time now.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Ok yeah, but what overall is it. I don't think anyone has said yet

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Ok yeah, but what overall is it. I don't think anyone has said yet

Assuming we're all actually on the same page, it's the Cinders mod. It's a pretty massive overhaul. It's mostly the same content, but just a fuckload more of it: It adds shortcuts, adds cut content, adds stuff from earlier games, adds new features, changes mechanics, makes new mechanics, and more.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I heard you can be softbanned for going online with it installed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can't go online with it installed, the mod prevents it, because if you did you would get softbanned. You can force it to let you play online though if you're already in the softbanned pool.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

A lot of DS3 feels very half-baked in hindsight. Magic and arts are nerfed because they're tied to a non-replenishing MP bar. Every level is swamp or citadel. No poise. Easily failed side-quests.

While the level-design is excellent, barring Farron Keep and Profaned capitol, the world is a straight line. The game goes really fast that it's jarring to realize Irithyll marks the second half when it barely feels you've gone anywhere.

The only real idea Dark Souls 3 seemed to have going into production is 'pretending Dark Souls 2 didn't exist'.

I'm almost annoyed that it ended up a good game anyway.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ds3 is technically a good game but it's all smooth edges and rounded corners. streamlined to oblivion, completely forgettable.

ds2 had a lot of jank and rough edges but that made it far more interesting and memorable to me. plus you can punch really well.

that's my little thing: punching in ds2 ruled

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I loving lived powerstancing and they though up some great combos for it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is this Cinders? Only got about halfway through that, but I loved how the changes to MP and spell-staggering meant you could constantly use the Farron Flashsword and RP as a Jedi.

Yes it is, sorry for not saying so. Turning your MP into blue stamina, more or less, was a really good idea because it makes magic, of all kinds, way more viable and fun to use. Even if you don't want to go all-in on a magic build it makes it way more useful as a buffing backup.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh poo poo I am totally going to turn on all of the Shrine challenges and my arse handed to me on a silver titanite platter

I have most of them turned on and it's pretty rough. There's a few I turned off because they sucked, like enemies regenerating HP super fast and the one that obscures your vision beyond a few feet like you're trapped in the tomb of giants forever. They also brought back every covenant, including the covenant of champions which makes everything tougher.

Just Offscreen posted:

The mod sets it to offline by default because if you go online with it you're basically going to be instantly softbanned, so it's something you have to opt-in rather than opt-out and presumably there's some iffy context about matching with non-cinders players. But every covenant has its own unique phantom colour and everything so presumably they've got online plans.

marshmallow creep posted:

I loving lived powerstancing and they though up some great combos for it.

Powerstancing is on my wishlist for this mod. I really hope they add it in the future, if that's even possible.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So Terraria finally got its big final (probably) update and its been pretty nice, lots of cool things in the update, but the little thing I like is since tmodloader is recognized as a proper official mod and product on steam now, it means you dont have to overwrite your Terraria folder to launch mods so vanilla and modded Terraria are shown as separate things on your steam library. At this point modding Terraria is easier than stuff like skyrim.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I really enjoyed playing through cinders some time ago and suggest trying it out, but I'll caution that the mod swings wildly from patch to patch with sweeping changes that were dubiously tested and somewhat felt like the mod was being designed via a dartboard. that said being able to play with working poise and use spells constantly was amazing, and the amount of content in the mod is staggering as I'm reading about entire new systems that didn't exist in the version I played, which already had an absurd amount of new stuff. I tore poo poo up with a new faith-scaling dagger it added and a miracle build, two things I never expected to seriously use in dark souls 3.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Honestly that's what you can expect from every quality overhaul, lots of good changes and just enough bad ones to be mildly annoying. The day I find a overhaul that gives you granular enough options on what to remove and keep is the day I recommend it to people.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm playing through all the "igavanias" in order through symphony of the night->aria of sorrow->dawn of sorrow->portrait of ruin->order of ecclesia, 3 of them for the first time, and they all have fully rebindable controls which is really nice. other than aria of sorrow, these games feel like they hold up well.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Surge 2: Beaten by someone who bounced off the first game after an hour.

[*]The story is crap, and the most bosses are meh, but who gives a poo poo.

I played the Surge 2 first and completed Surge 1 just today, and everything you said is true. 2 is a much better game overall.

Except, for some reason, the bosses are way better in the first one than in the sequel. It's baffling. All of 2s bosses ranged from "bad" to "really bad" but in 1 they're all pretty decent? I have no idea what could have happened there.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Overwatch Porn posted:

ds3 is technically a good game but it's all smooth edges and rounded corners. streamlined to oblivion, completely forgettable.

ds2 had a lot of jank and rough edges but that made it far more interesting and memorable to me. plus you can punch really well.

that's my little thing: punching in ds2 ruled

yeah DS2 got a lot of rightfully deserved flak but it had a lot of little things and not so little things that for me kind of make it strangely endearing:

-Majula. Soothingly melancholic music, a bunch of neat npcs, convenient shopping

-Best variety in weapons, especially with stuff like punching/caestus, and dual wielding/power-stancing
-Best variety in magic, as well
-Best covenants. Blues and Reds get an arena, Belltowers and Rats offer a twist on the invasion formula, Champions for a built in hard mode.

-Some crazy rear end playground rumor level secrets like Santier's spear, the hidden weapon rings, the butterfly set, the invisible auros set and then the visible one too, the pick ax

-NG+ that actually changes things up. Mostly this meant additional enemies but Freyja showing up early is a real wtf moment

-the structure of the game; if you know what you're doing you can head out in a surprising amount of paths from the start of the game, which lets you beeline for certain gear or npcs

-and ok maybe this one is just me but I like the hit effect on boss health bars in this one the best. Something about the yellow is soothing and satisfying???

-also this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kr7KDCsIws

Mazerunner has a new favorite as of 06:49 on May 18, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mazerunner posted:

yeah DS2 got a lot of rightfully deserved flak but it had a lot of little things and not so little things that for me kind of make it strangely endearing:

I still far prefer the direction DS2 takes for being a sequel to Dark Souls. 'This is the same world, but everything you know has been forgotten, built on or reappropriated' is way more interesting to me than DS3's 'we're just picking and choosing what parts are the same and what's not'.

And I've said it before, but DS2's extinction mechanics were fantastic, and it's a travesty that they were in a game that happened to have people who farm drops for multiplayer purposes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I kept accidentally pressing the button combination for the Star special in Streets of Rage 4 but thankfully there is a controls setting that allows for an alternate button you can press instead and a checkbox to enable/disable either method so I disabled the combination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I wish you could freely map buttons in SoR4 because I'd prefer the buttons for pickup/throw and back attack to be reversed.