Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The gun section sounded like me and my buddies discussing the zombie outbreak when we were 14.

Apparently, "everyone is getting an AK (cheaper than ARs at the time) and Glock" is insane logistics. Also, I'm fairly certain that no PMC just goes, "Bring whatever you gave at home, it'll be fine."
Unless it's in South Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
If MGS V taught me anything, it's procure-on-sight all the way :black101:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the gun section is dumb as gently caress, like just get everyone Glocks or maybe m&p shields if you're buying, and ar15s are the cheapest service rifles you can get these days which all your "operators" should be familiar with anyways. No loving clue what snipers would want if you needed any, just give them ar10s in 6.5 creedmoor? The logistics are a way bigger concern anyways. Where the gently caress are dudes living, where are they eating, how are they getting their guns in the first place, vehicles etc.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Slim Pickens posted:

Yeah the gun section is dumb as gently caress, like just get everyone Glocks or maybe m&p shields if you're buying, and ar15s are the cheapest service rifles you can get these days which all your "operators" should be familiar with anyways. No loving clue what snipers would want if you needed any, just give them ar10s in 6.5 creedmoor? The logistics are a way bigger concern anyways. Where the gently caress are dudes living, where are they eating, how are they getting their guns in the first place, vehicles etc.

Yeah, but this was 04- ARs were 2k$+, AR10s were even more, and I don't think 6.5 CM existed yet, but not 100% on that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bulletsponge13 posted:

Yeah, but this was 04- ARs were 2k$+, AR10s were even more, and I don't think 6.5 CM existed yet, but not 100% on that.

6.5 Creedmor came out in like 2008, I think? It definitely wasn’t all over the place like it is now for a while though.
I think 6.5 Grendel was out back then though.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good point, AKs and M14s for everyone, then they won't bitch about 'stopping power' like everyone was in 2004.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Slim Pickens posted:

Good point, AKs and M14s for everyone, then they won't bitch about 'stopping power' like everyone was in 2004.

Lol I just got to the guy lamenting the lack of stopping power©️®️ of his carbine

Thanks for posting OP. it’s long af but I’ve been slogging through the entire thing and it’s amazing

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Like of all the poo poo guns mentioned, the M1 carbine is the better or best of the options.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

PookBear posted:

Literally no one in that chat made e-4 or higher, deployed, or finished their enlistment. Its a bunch of lance corporals and under that got kicked out that are trying to start a merc company led by a bed pisser furry.

:laffo:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s like a mercenary company made up of a bunch of clones of Abu Hajaar. I can’t wait to read more about their shenanigans.

E:the gun selection really feels like he pulled it almost entirely from whatever Tom Clancy game he was playing at the time.

Splinter Cell Conviction came out in 2010 and handgun selection seems pulled exactly from the “best” in those games.

The glock of course is a starting gun and therefore useless for these high speed mercs

bulletsponge13 posted:

Like of all the poo poo guns mentioned, the M1 carbine is the better or best of the options.

But it lacks stopping power against the dirt around the cans he’s trying to shoot.

Also I always appreciate an Abu Hajar reference :discourse:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There was a mention of none of them making E-4, but imagine a mercenary company of only E-4’s. Just shamming. Shamming everywhere. No one gets paid, because payroll is shamming. No one gets armed, because the quartermaster is shamming. But none of that matters, because no one goes to Somalia, because they’re all shamming.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

There was a mention of none of them making E-4, but imagine a mercenary company of only E-4’s. Just shamming. Shamming everywhere. No one gets paid, because payroll is shamming. No one gets armed, because the quartermaster is shamming. But none of that matters, because no one goes to Somalia, because they’re all shamming.

It’d be like a military version of Clerks.

“Mercs”? :downsrim:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

It almost sounds like the first contracting company I worked for. They issued airsoft plate carriers with steel plates and no soft armor backers, initially tried to issue us polyester flight suits rather than the real nomex ones (popular uproar had them finally issue us two flight suits apiece to the US/British citizens, but the Ugandans still used the polyester ones quite a bit), and had lots of vehicle issues including one gun truck that would have its engine die when hitting speed bumps, one that vented exhaust into the cab in an Event Horizon-esque way of trying to kill its crew, and not one but TWO that spontaneously combusted and burned to the ground. Thankfully no one was in them at the time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Rat posted:

one that vented exhaust into the cab in an Event Horizon-esque way of trying to kill its crew,

I had an ambulance that did that once. As soon as you were stopped it reeked of exhaust and we’d start getting headaches. They would not let us switch it out so I put the CO monitor in there and sent dispatch a video of it freaking the gently caress out and they finally let us swap it for something that wasn’t trying to kill us.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I had an ambulance that did that once. As soon as you were stopped it reeked of exhaust and we’d start getting headaches. They would not let us switch it out so I put the CO monitor in there and sent dispatch a video of it freaking the gently caress out and they finally let us swap it for something that wasn’t trying to kill us.

Dammit. Ambulance chassis are supposed to be built specifically to avoid that (and heat buildup from the exhaust). There is a sticker on most newer chassis/cab trucks telling you, "not for ambulance use".

An old wheelchair van I drove did the same, muffler rusted out and vented directly into the intake for the rear A/C system. Being in the back of one of those things in FL without A/C is no fun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

madeintaipei posted:

Dammit. Ambulance chassis are supposed to be built specifically to avoid that (and heat buildup from the exhaust). There is a sticker on most newer chassis/cab trucks telling you, "not for ambulance use".

An old wheelchair van I drove did the same, muffler rusted out and vented directly into the intake for the rear A/C system. Being in the back of one of those things in FL without A/C is no fun.

This was the oldest and shittiest ambulance at a pretty lovely commercial service, so I’m pretty sure it was like 85 percent rust. They took it out back and Old Yellered it after my thing with the CO detector.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Itchy_Grundle posted:

It’d be like a military version of Clerks.

“Mercs”? :downsrim:

If there was a golfclap emoji with tears running down it's cheeks I'd use that but this is the best we've got :golfclap:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The Rat posted:

, initially tried to issue us polyester flight suits rather than the real nomex ones

:stonklol:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I kinda want more The Rat stories early contracting was the loving wild west

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Yeah, this, holy poo poo

For anyone who doesn't understand the significance of this, Nomex is a flame-resistant safe material for flight suits. Polyester is lovely cheap plastic fabric and will melt to your skin at first exposure to heat, and cause massive amounts of burns, and now you have to separate melted plastic fabric from your burned flesh. Never ever wear polyester in a situation wherein you may be exposed to flame or high heat.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

stevobob posted:

Yeah, this, holy poo poo

For anyone who doesn't understand the significance of this, Nomex is a flame-resistant safe material for flight suits. Polyester is lovely cheap plastic fabric and will melt to your skin at first exposure to heat, and cause massive amounts of burns, and now you have to separate melted plastic fabric from your burned flesh. Never ever wear polyester in a situation wherein you may be exposed to flame or high heat.

The Navy should’ve though of that prior to their blue-digi camo fiasco, you know the one where they discovered that the uniform would continue to burn after the flame was removed from it in testing.

https://navylive.dodlive.mil/2012/12/12/navy-working-uniform/

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

PookBear posted:

I kinda want more The Rat stories early contracting was the loving wild west

poo poo it wasn't even wild west timeframe, that was like 04-06ish from what I understand.

I didn't get contracting and in country until Dec 09. It was less wild west and more the company trying to cheap out about as much as they possibly could. That company only got the contract because they underbid the other security companies involved. (By how much I'm not sure, but the previous company was paying 84k/yr to their dudes, and this company was paying 65k/yr.) It showed in the gross variety of people they hired.

The only strict requirements were being 25 years old or older, and at least 1 year of military/police experience. From this, we got:

-GWOT vets with 1-2 enlistments, with various motivations. (Some wanted the money, some wanted to get back and FEEL THE RUSH OF COMBAT or whatever nonsense, some just didn't know what they wanted to do as a civilian after the military.)
-Cops. Some had deployment experience, many didn't.
-Clinton era vets who had never been deployed. Some were ok, some were like this former Marine helo mechanic that was briefly on our team, was my height but weighed 100lb more than me (was basically a walking orb), and tried to talk all this poo poo about how Marines were so much better than the Army. On a team with several GWOT vet army dudes who were still in shape and competent. He more or less got hazed off the team after the team leader started forcing him to do time on the treadmill every day along with eating only salads and healthy foods.
-British/Australian dudes. Holy poo poo this was a grab bag of perverts. I thought I had heard all the dirty things that could be heard from being Army Infantry, but these guys were on a whole other level.
-Some really old dudes. The oldest was a guy whose year of military experience was from being a Vietnam draftee. Nice guy, but man, he was old as gently caress.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

My German army draftee uniform was 100% polyester and I always kinda wondered about that

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

aphid_licker posted:

My German army draftee uniform was 100% polyester and I always kinda wondered about that

The fatigues or the dress uniform?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nice and hot piss posted:

Christ, I looked into PMC work with the big WPS II companies as a medic and was offered around $175k a year, and even then that was poo poo pay in comparison to what rates were 5 or so years ago.

Dude should have absolutely high balled the government for at least double that knowing their cosplay gear was on point.

I don’t know gently caress all about the gun carrying contractor world but I’ve done a few things in the office worker contracting scene and this is not uncommon for small, poo poo companies trying to get into the business. Like, I know a few companies that literally have their origin story as a lawyer in Bethesda filing a bullshit bid to provide a couple office workers to some DC agency, lowballs like gently caress either because he’s ignorant of how poo poo works or is trying to aggressively undercut the established guys, and somehow lands it then has to grab whatever yahoos he can find that technically meet the clients requirements.

A lot of the time this tier of firm preys on idiots fresh out of school with no idea what they are worth in the market. Also people fresh out of the military who have a security clearance.

Of course the quality of these workers is frequently abysmal. I knew of one case where the contractor flat out lied about their education. The job required an advanced graduate degree and a clearance. They had a TS/CI (although they contract didn’t require that - I think it capped at public trust) and claimed to have a doctorate.

They did not have a doctorate. This became VERY clear on the job.

Lying about the credential was not a good thing for their clearance from what I understand.

Apparently the poo poo tier firm that employed them did zero looking into their resume.

So yeah. Gun toucher or computer toucher the world of companies that supply services to the government has a really scummy level of bottom feeders that land successful bids once in a while to hilarious results.

Hypothetically there are mechanisms in place to prevent some of this but there are other mechanisms to ensure open bidding processes etc that create space for people in way over their heads to actually get contracted to supply something.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Saying hello from the GBS "what's hot elsewhere on the forums" portal, also wanna bring attention to this chunk of the pastebin I skimmed around:

Lines 572-587 posted:

Company Update.
Our Parent Company "Peregrine Defense" has selected Utah as the location for Headquarters.
The manual is nearing completion, then it will be reviewed and either revised or approved.
We are currently working with the state for licensing of the company in Utah.
Mr Orange
Will be putting together today
Very well
Mr White
Be familiar with our weapons, and common enemy systems.
AK47's may be basic, but if you don't have a clue how to handle one, we can teach you. Neglect will reduce the accuracy and even cause a jam eventually.
The RPG is also very simple, but take care to ensure it is not a trap.
Mr White
The general company should be up and ready within 3 months. Possibly sooner, but I'm being conservative with this estimate.
Ok, thank you.
Mr Yellow
Some of my friends have learned about the trap the hard way, I fired one of the RPG-7s before and I hate them with a passion not to mention I dont like being on the recieving end as well, I am a Foreign Weapons Instructor and Trainer

Bonus because lmao

Lines 372-373 posted:

"Mr Yellow
I know how to hand lauch and thats about it and do CFF missions"

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

The Rat posted:

poo poo it wasn't even wild west timeframe, that was like 04-06ish from what I understand.

I didn't get contracting and in country until Dec 09. It was less wild west and more the company trying to cheap out about as much as they possibly could. That company only got the contract because they underbid the other security companies involved. (By how much I'm not sure, but the previous company was paying 84k/yr to their dudes, and this company was paying 65k/yr.) It showed in the gross variety of people they hired.

The only strict requirements were being 25 years old or older, and at least 1 year of military/police experience. From this, we got:

-GWOT vets with 1-2 enlistments, with various motivations. (Some wanted the money, some wanted to get back and FEEL THE RUSH OF COMBAT or whatever nonsense, some just didn't know what they wanted to do as a civilian after the military.)
-Cops. Some had deployment experience, many didn't.
-Clinton era vets who had never been deployed. Some were ok, some were like this former Marine helo mechanic that was briefly on our team, was my height but weighed 100lb more than me (was basically a walking orb), and tried to talk all this poo poo about how Marines were so much better than the Army. On a team with several GWOT vet army dudes who were still in shape and competent. He more or less got hazed off the team after the team leader started forcing him to do time on the treadmill every day along with eating only salads and healthy foods.
-British/Australian dudes. Holy poo poo this was a grab bag of perverts. I thought I had heard all the dirty things that could be heard from being Army Infantry, but these guys were on a whole other level.
-Some really old dudes. The oldest was a guy whose year of military experience was from being a Vietnam draftee. Nice guy, but man, he was old as gently caress.

This is the content I crave

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

To load an RPG 7.
Inspect the rocket! No cracks, bulges or dents.
HOLD THE TAIL FINS.
Slide rocket (Tail first) into the muzzle end of the tube. This is an 85mm OR 70mm Rocket with a 40mm tube (Small end) with a huge Voulturi on the back. (( Do not try to place the rocket in the volturi, it wont fit.))
There is a key on the front and a little tit on the rocket. put the tit in the key to ensure the rocket is locked and ready to fire.

The Volturi.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mr Yellow got out and joined a texas militia

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I did a subsidized post-grad degree in a program where the students were mostly Boeing employees on a career track. Some students were shockingly bad but they they more or less got away with whatever work they fell like doing (or not) because of how much money the Boeing relationship seemed to bring in. One of the part time profs in the circle of corporate incest was himself a contractor, but he had some pretty good stories of contracting fraud.

One involved a company run by a stay at home mom that dropshipped aerospace components from overseas. That in turn caused some foreign national big-brain to realize they could send compromised widgets instead of lovely ones. They had no previous defense or industry knowledge and genuinely didn't know it was bad, which sounds Karen as gently caress, but aside from being put on a contract blacklist for x years and paying a token fine they got away with it.

Another involved a company who, after an invoicing mistake, realized they could charge whatever they wanted for express shipping to CENTCOM at the height of OIF. Instead of being reasonable and skimming, say, doubling their profit, they submitted invoices where shipping was a literal order of magnitude more than the delivered good. It took $5mil worth of time before they got caught, but the book was thrown at them because they were long past being able to claim an honest mistake.

Fukken' MIC, man.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 18, 2020

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

The fatigues or the dress uniform?

Fatigues!

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I'm willing to bet it was a poly/cotton blend, you'd rip all poly fatigues to shreds in the field and if the material was thick enough that you didn't you die of heat exhaustion.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

FYI It was named Peregrine because the brony is really into horses and falconry

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

PookBear posted:

I'm willing to bet it was a poly/cotton blend, you'd rip all poly fatigues to shreds in the field and if the material was thick enough that you didn't you die of heat exhaustion.

It's been 20 years, maybe Duzzy remembers. I've looked secondhand ones up online and found one vendor each marking them as 100% cotton, 80/20 and 20/80 cotton/polyester blends, but no 100% polyester, so you're probably right.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

It's been 20 years, maybe Duzzy remembers. I've looked secondhand ones up online and found one vendor each marking them as 100% cotton, 80/20 and 20/80 cotton/polyester blends, but no 100% polyester, so you're probably right.

Basic BW camo fatigues are 80% cotton, 20% polyester which IIRC was also pretty much the default blend used in most European field uniforms until the fancy goretex stuff started becoming standard issue

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

US Berder Patrol posted:

This is the content I crave

I'm not sure what all people are interested in hearing about, because it wasn't like some rugged mercenary tale of derring-do. It was the sort of "what the gently caress, this is loving stupid" we've come to expect from the military, only run by a penny pinching private company.

And also at least half of the Brits/Aussies were like "yeah I shagged a bloke in Thailand, I was drunk and had already paid."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Rat posted:

I'm not sure what all people are interested in hearing about, because it wasn't like some rugged mercenary tale of derring-do. It was the sort of "what the gently caress, this is loving stupid" we've come to expect from the military, only run by a penny pinching private company.

The most popular thread on this sub forum is the “let’s talk about idiots” thread. Everyone loves a good story about dumbasses.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The most popular thread on this sub forum is the “let’s talk about idiots” thread. Everyone loves a good story about dumbasses.

Yeah, "my workplace is a hosed-up clownshow" stories are always the best, and that's like 4x when that workplace is life-or-death stuff.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don’t know gently caress all about the gun carrying contractor world but I’ve done a few things in the office worker contracting scene and this is not uncommon for small, poo poo companies trying to get into the business. Like, I know a few companies that literally have their origin story as a lawyer in Bethesda filing a bullshit bid to provide a couple office workers to some DC agency, lowballs like gently caress either because he’s ignorant of how poo poo works or is trying to aggressively undercut the established guys, and somehow lands it then has to grab whatever yahoos he can find that technically meet the clients requirements.

A lot of the time this tier of firm preys on idiots fresh out of school with no idea what they are worth in the market. Also people fresh out of the military who have a security clearance.

Of course the quality of these workers is frequently abysmal. I knew of one case where the contractor flat out lied about their education. The job required an advanced graduate degree and a clearance. They had a TS/CI (although they contract didn’t require that - I think it capped at public trust) and claimed to have a doctorate.

They did not have a doctorate. This became VERY clear on the job.

Lying about the credential was not a good thing for their clearance from what I understand.

Apparently the poo poo tier firm that employed them did zero looking into their resume.

So yeah. Gun toucher or computer toucher the world of companies that supply services to the government has a really scummy level of bottom feeders that land successful bids once in a while to hilarious results.

Hypothetically there are mechanisms in place to prevent some of this but there are other mechanisms to ensure open bidding processes etc that create space for people in way over their heads to actually get contracted to supply something.

IIRC this is literally how the CDC's faulty coronavirus tests got made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

My buddy is getting ready to go over to Kuwait as static security guard with Triple Canopy, He got on the PMC bandwagon when I was going through with it but decided to make an attempt at OCS for the marines.

I kind of don't want him to do it, because he has a wife and 2 kids, and he literally just got a decent job working security at the Airport at like $23 an hour. Technically he will make more as a contractor at $70k a year, plus tax exemption since it keeps him out of the country for over 330 days a year, but I don't think it's going to be as much as he's expecting to clear.