Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Dell_Zincht posted:

It's not available to pre-order yet, sign up on the SE website and they'll notify you when you can.

edit - Here!

I assumed the waitling list meant they had already sold out their allocation, we shall see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I assumed the waitling list meant they had already sold out their allocation, we shall see.

I thought that too but I signed up for it about a month before the game came out, bit weird that you can't order it when it's supposed to be released on the 27th of this month like.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's finally starting!

Edit: whoops no it seems like another sub hype train is going

She is dying repeatedly to Fat Chocobo. I am reminded that "one more shot" is a good line from her though

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 12, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lol I missed this bit that Johnny's Father is wandering Wall Market trying to deliver a lucky pillow to his son, wtf

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol I missed this bit that Johnny's Father is wandering Wall Market trying to deliver a lucky pillow to his son, wtf

Hmm yes that's definitely the reason he's in Wall Market...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Chapter 13 quote: "They were supposed to return to us." hit me surprisingly hard. Barret is good, even moreso than I already thought!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Chapter 18: I cannot stress enough how much Motorball can go eat my loving rear end in a top hat.

After three good boss fights that were somewhat clever without being too annoying, that was a massive letdown. It wasn’t clever or anything, it was just long and if you had a momentary lapse in concentration you were hosed. No strategy, just an awful set of gimmicks.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

PT6A posted:

Chapter 18: I cannot stress enough how much Motorball can go eat my loving rear end in a top hat.

After three good boss fights that were somewhat clever without being too annoying, that was a massive letdown. It wasn’t clever or anything, it was just long and if you had a momentary lapse in concentration you were hosed. No strategy, just an awful set of gimmicks.

Motorball Isn't hard or annoying though, unless you can't be bothered to use L2 or the left stick.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

TaurusOxford posted:

Motorball Isn't hard or annoying though, unless you can't be bothered to use L2 or the left stick.

Hard? No, not really, once you figure out the patterns. Annoying as hell, though, because the only real threat is those fireballs that you may or may not be able to see due to the lovely camera, that make or break the entire thing. There's no feeling of accomplishment when you beat it because it wasn't remotely clever or challenging, it seemed more just... random whether you get wiped by one of those exploding orbs or not.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i never had a problem with seeing the fireballs personally, my only issue was getting used to actuslly making use of the break function because thats the only point its necessary

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

sharrrk posted:

i never had a problem with seeing the fireballs personally, my only issue was getting used to actuslly making use of the break function because thats the only point its necessary
I feel like an idiot that it took me one Motorball loss to figure it out but you can brake or block but you can't brake and block.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Final boss fights are awesome as gently caress tbqh, and I’m excited where the story’s going to go from here. Ending was great, the haters can die mad.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I have a FF7 non-remake question for you all.

Soooo after playing through the first part of the game it left me wanting to reunite with my favorite character, Cid. Because he's just the best and you'll never convince me otherwise.

I've decided to reinstall FF7 on my PC, just wondering what the best possible graphics mods out there are? I know there's no way it'll ever come even remotely close to the graphics of the remake, but I've heard we may be anywhere from 2-3 years out for the next part so I'll take whatever I can get for now.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

khy posted:

Soooo after playing through the first part of the game it left me wanting to reunite with my favorite character, Cid. Because he's just the best and you'll never convince me otherwise.

I've decided to reinstall FF7 on my PC, just wondering what the best possible graphics mods out there are? I know there's no way it'll ever come even remotely close to the graphics of the remake, but I've heard we may be anywhere from 2-3 years out for the next part so I'll take whatever I can get for now.

I don't remember what they were called, but a YouTuber named Maximilian Dood did a playthrough with a bunch of mods in anticipation of FF7R. You should check out his videos to see what her used. Some helped the graphics, but some did a really cool overhaul of the combat system where each character had a unique mechanic in combat, almost like what you have in Remake with Punisher Mode and Overcharge and whatnot

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It took me one attempt on motorball to realize that braking hard is the only thing you can do to avoid the fireballs too.

I also find it unfortunate it wasn't the true final boss like the original. There was plenty of scope to make it epic. I'm in the minority who thinks a Sephiroth fight and a gigantic god-of-destiny fight after motorball is just blowing way too much load way too quickly for the sake of a send-off that the game could have ended perfectly fine without.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 16, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Can we at least tag spoilers of the game's climax?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It took me one attempt on motorball to realize that braking hard is the only thing you can do to avoid the fireballs too.

Pretty sure he always shoots his fireball down the middle of the road, so you're fine on either side. Pretty sure the only things you really need to break for are when he starts spinning on fire after stagger, and when he's charging up his megalaser and you're in the way.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

khy posted:

The QHIMM forums are where it's at for FF7 modding, but here's what you want:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=19204.0

Satsuki's pack covers field maps, battles, characters, menus and videos. He used a combination of different AI upscalers (whatever was best for the given job) as well as several touch up passes to fix the little anomalies that pop-up with upscalers. Meaning it's the best of both worlds.

If you want to use this without Reunion (which I would recommend), choose the "Make iro from DDS / PNG" option. I would uncheck the make a seperate iro for each selected option just so it's easier to manage. If you choose DDS, download the FFNx driver here:
https://github.com/julianxhokaxhiu/FFNx

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14938.0

Then use the 7th Heaven mod manager to utilize the iros.

The New Threat mod by Sega Chief. Adds a lot of new cool gameplay elements and content (new bosses and side quests!). I would recommend this for a second playthrough. It definitely gets pretty challenging by the end. Also spruces up the translation a little bit, doesn't go full literal Japanese like the Reunion mod.

Both of these are available standalone or for use with the 7th Heaven mod manager, which was recently updated.

7th Heaven Mod Manager:
https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=19533.0

Edit: added more instructions and links

Big Bizness fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 16, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I've purposely been avoiding spoilers/threads, and I just got a chance to start this. So, quick question:

Is the scorpion robot fight supposed to be as challenging as it was? Like....holy balls, I don't think I've lost to a tutorial boss outside this and Dark Souls 2. Maybe it was just still getting used to the controls, but I had to burn a phoenix down and 10 potions taking that thing down on my third try. Is that the expectation for most of the bosses in this game?

Also, gently caress the camera. Every time I swapped between Barrett and Cloud, the camera would just jump to this insane unusable angle or get jammed into a corner. >_>

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 16, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You'll eventually get used to how the game works, especially once you start getting access to more materia and more strategies open up.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I still think Scorpion Sentinel is a bit overtuned for a tutorial boss. Optimally you need to know what to hit him with when, and that you have to be behind him to hit his shield generator, and various other stuff. It's pretty normal to have to burn a bunch of potions on him on your first playthrough, yeah.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

My first playthrough the scorpion boss kicked my butt. I won, but I burned through the vast majority of my potions doing so. I'm not a pro gamer but I play enough games that outside of Dark Souls very few games ever give me this much trouble.

Turns out I just had to adjust my strategy. I went in full offense that disastrous first run, and when I switched things up to dodging out of range of the big aoe electrical pulse, attacking during the long lock-on animation and defending when he shoots the actual missiles, the fight became MUCH easier. Also using that lunging stab special attack that builds up stagger was a MASSIVE help, I used Braver a lot on the first try but the stagger buildup special was SO much more useful.

khy fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 16, 2020

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I beat Scorpion Sentinel much quicker on Hard than normal, it’s really a matter of understanding the battle system.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Big Bizness posted:

<Big Ol' Instructions here>

The fact that people jump through so many ridiculous hoops to try to get the absolute best out of this 23 year old game is astounding to me, and I say this despite the fact that I'm one of those people. It goes to show how timeless this particular game is.

That said, holy poo poo this community could learn so much from other modding communities. I get that modding FF7 isn't nearly as easy as Oblivion or Fallout 3 but even so there has to be an easier way to supply these things to the players.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Schwartzcough posted:

It's pretty normal to have to burn a bunch of potions on him on your first playthrough, yeah.

I think this is the biggest thing they wanted to communicate to the player in that entire tutorial. The value of items is very low and you should use them and oppose your natural hoarding instinct. Save that for hard mode.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Scorpion Sentinel is tuned so you know what to expect from boss fights instead of having an easy tutorial boss proceeded by being blindsided.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tutorial bosses are boring, throw my rear end in the fire from minute one and I'll work it out eventually.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Just beat (chapter 14) the behemoth underneath the slums. That was a tough, but really fun fight. I'm sure next time I face it, I'll be able to get by without using all of my phoenix downs.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I feel like classic FF7 should be played in an emulator with CRT shaders for the proper effect but I mean that's just me.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lucas Archer posted:

Just beat (chapter 14) the behemoth underneath the slums. That was a tough, but really fun fight. I'm sure next time I face it, I'll be able to get by without using all of my phoenix downs.

If you fight it on hard, that will definitely be true. Since you can’t use items.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The single biggest downside to the remake is the fact that it leaves me desperately wanting more and there's no more coming for a long while

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Anyone know the best place to farm AP for endgame materia leveling? A lot of gaming sites say the High Flyers fight in the battle arena, but that costs 400 gil every time. I saw people on reddit mention an even better spot out in the actual game world that you can hit up for free and has a better AP return, but I have completely forgotten what it was.

Also, apparently you get weapon skill books for beating bosses in hard mode, maybe? I finished Ch. 1 hard mode and Barret got a Sharpshooter's Manual from the Scorpion Tank. Anyone got any more insight on that mechanic?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

khy posted:

The single biggest downside to the remake is the fact that it leaves me desperately wanting more and there's no more coming for a long while

If you want something that scratches that itch, you should play Nier: Automata if you have not already. Great story, gorgeous music and visuals, fantastic 3rd person action rpg combat that feels like a mix of Cloud, Barret, Tifa, and Aeris all at once depending on how you kit your character, and an upgrade system that feels like materia with the serial numbers filed off. Plus it's probably like $8 at this point.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

Anyone know the best place to farm AP for endgame materia leveling? A lot of gaming sites say the High Flyers fight in the battle arena, but that costs 400 gil every time. I saw people on reddit mention an even better spot out in the actual game world that you can hit up for free and has a better AP return, but I have completely forgotten what it was.

Assuming you're already done with your first playthrough, the whole series of fights in the Shinra Bldg garage will net you 270+ AP (and that's without the AP Up Materia linked yet). I ran through that sequence multiple times myself to upgrade my HP/MP Ups for the hidden boss fight.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Also, apparently you get weapon skill books for beating bosses in hard mode, maybe? I finished Ch. 1 hard mode and Barret got a Sharpshooter's Manual from the Scorpion Tank. Anyone got any more insight on that mechanic?

One of the incentives to do Hard Mode is that beating key bosses in each chapter will net you manuscripts (except for 1 manuscript in Chapter 6 that can be found where you originally found the Choco/Mog materia), which are required to max out the abilities of each weapon.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SlimGoodbody posted:

If you're playing hard mode, you can sell your items now (some of the trinkets and armor too if you want). Round 1 of the High Flyers and exiting before Round 2 starts (repeat) is the fastest way to build AP. You get 48 AP for just round 1 alone with the end game bonuses. I'm sure someone has a farming guide out there, but I don't think any of them has as fast a return as the simulator.

I'd get your most important Materia maxed. Definitely Elemental(s), Magnify, Prayer and Chakra. Some require a TON of AP so maybe not those as much. Then play through hard mode chapters to get the completion achievements. You'll get a lot that way too.

Yeah, you definitely get the books from completing quests with bosses. If you look at the chapter selection, there will be what looks like a document icon. The number is how many are still available.

You need them to get the final weapon level and all of them to get every weapon slot activated.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SlimGoodbody posted:

Keep doing the opening garage sequence in ch16. It's slower but it's free since that seems to be your concern.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

If you want something that scratches that itch, you should play Nier: Automata if you have not already. Great story, gorgeous music and visuals, fantastic 3rd person action rpg combat that feels like a mix of Cloud, Barret, Tifa, and Aeris all at once depending on how you kit your character, and an upgrade system that feels like materia with the serial numbers filed off. Plus it's probably like $8 at this point.

How similar is FFXV to FF7R? I haven't played XV for a number of reasons, but after 7R I might be tempted into it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

khy posted:

How similar is FFXV to FF7R? I haven't played XV for a number of reasons, but after 7R I might be tempted into it.

Not... very, to be honest. XV is mostly an open-world game and the combat is kind of poorly designed and not very rewarding. Has some nice character interactions though.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

the combat is kind of poorly designed and not very rewarding

Welp, that right there kills it for me. If It was just FF7 combat + Open World + Other characters I could get into it a bit because drat if the combat in this game isn't fun as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

khy posted:

Welp, that right there kills it for me. If It was just FF7 combat + Open World + Other characters I could get into it a bit because drat if the combat in this game isn't fun as hell.

Give it a shot. The combat is an earlier iteration of the ff7 combat, but it is better in some ways. Positioning is even more important and link attacks are fantastic. Noctis is also infinitely more mobile than any of the FF7 chars. And iirc with the royal edition patch, you can swap to any party member at any time in combat. It's good.