Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

My prediction is that they will legitimately try to go for the optimism and sci fi (their take on it anyway) but it stands a good chance of bumbling around in the first season with a grab bag of mixed episodes and weird takes on issues.

You know, like first season Star Trek usually does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

Honestly, that's an optimistic view. It'll be about some dark secret at the heart of Starfleet and will make everyone hate the OS characters due to incredibly melodramatic and off-model takes on their characters.

Counterpoint: Pike, Number One, and younger :spock: on DISCO had takes that were on model and enhanced them, particularly what little we'd seen of the former. Pike went from a moody, morose antihero to a three dimensional guy who was inspiring, the best of classic Starfleet, an inspiring leader who still had some dark edge to him and baggage. Number One went from aloof to having charm and a sense of humor while still retaining her Vulcanian remoteness and exploring it some. This Spock canonizes some of his lack of emotional control in The Cage and Where No Man Has Gone Before and turns it into a setup for developing him into the Spock of TOS.

No reason we can't do that for Scotty, whatever old ships doctor they pick, or whatever. Really don't want them to bring in Kirk, but IIRC it's canon that Pike handpicked Kirk to be the next Captain of the 1701, yet we don't know why or what their relationship was or if Kirk had or had not served under him. Kirk knew him well enough to call him by his first name in The Menagerie. I think it's entirely possible Kirk could have been on the Enterprise. Other than beta canon, we've never seen Kirk take over the Enterprise or what his early time there as captain was like. By the start of TOS, he'd been in charge for awhile. It was only later that TOS S1 became considered the start of the Five Year Mission. I'd honestly rather see Kirk as a green ship captain on his first command of a smaller ship, doing a small arc of episodes working with Pike and the Enterprise than a redo of "young arrogant Kirk grows up" like in JJ Trek.

I also hope they can avoid some "dark secret" mytharc plot. They did it in DISCO S2, they did it in Picard, they're doing it in DISCO S3. I assume the Untitled Section 31 Show starring Michelle Yeoh will be full of that. Plenty of room on All Access for a lighter, episodic classic Star Trek show. It would be the boldest possible choice they could make in the era of Prestige TV.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 16, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

shadok posted:

Did somebody say The Doomsday Machine? My favourite TOS episode?

<———

Set them up as guest stars over a couple of seasons, watch Decker get promoted, get to know his crew and then... y'know. It'd actually add to the impact of the TOS episode if we know the crew and captain that are lost.

There are a few Klingon captains we could run into as well. There could be some early conflict with Cardassia. You couldn't do much with the Romulans, but you have to think the Tal'Shiar was active on our side of the Neutral Zone, so that could come up.

They should be following on from Discovery S2, but if they offset the start of the show a few years earlier, then Captains Georgiou and (our universe's) Lorca come into play as guest stars.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Just an addendum, I went to Memory Alpha to see what they say is exactly on screen canon about Kirk's pre-TOS career:

quote:

In 2257, the Farragut engaged the dikironium cloud creature at the planet Tycho IV. The creature killed Captain Garrovick and two hundred of the ship's crew. Farragut's record tapes of the event included Lieutenant Kirk insisting upon blaming himself for the disaster, citing his delay in firing the ship's phaser banks at the creature as he lost consciousness. The ship's executive officer disagreed, stating, "Lieutenant Kirk is a fine young officer who performed with uncommon bravery." (TOS: "Obsession")

Kirk's Starfleet service through the late 2250s and early 2260s was rewarded with a rapid rise through the ranks.

By 2265, at the age of thirty-two, Kirk assumed command of the Constitution-class USS Enterprise from Christopher Pike. (TOS: "The Menagerie, Part I") Kirk's father, who was often credited for providing him with the inspiration to join Starfleet, lived long enough to see his son earn his first captaincy. (Star Trek)

Startrek.com is even more vague but does say Kirk took over the Enterprise in 2264.

Disco's 2nd season was 2258. So if Strange New Worlds takes place in 2258/9 that gives us 5 years at least til Kirk takes over the ship, and a gap in canon in his life from 2257 as a Lt to 2264 as a Captain. There's actually a lot worthwhile to explore there. You could even see more of Kirk's parents and brother (who should be the same actor who plays Kirk, with a bad mustache). Though obviously if they couldn't afford Hemsworth for a movie, they couldn't get him to show up for a tv show episode.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Astroman posted:

Plenty of room on All Access for a lighter, episodic classic Star Trek show. It would be the boldest possible choice they could make in the era of Prestige TV.

That's what the cartoon is for

(I agree with you)

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Astroman posted:

I also hope they can avoid some "dark secret" mytharc plot. They did it in DISCO S2, they did it in Picard, they're doing it in DISCO S3. I assume the Untitled Section 31 Show starring Michelle Yeoh will be full of that. Plenty of room on All Access for a lighter, episodic classic Star Trek show. It would be the boldest possible choice they could make in the era of Prestige TV.

I was just thinking it would be ironic if the bright, optimistic, Roddenberry-esque Trek became the dark sheep of the franchise this time, like an inverse DS9.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Its not that the idea of focusing on Pike’s Enterprise in a way that brings up the TOS cast is inherently a bad one, its that people don’t trust the people doing it

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Its not that the idea of focusing on Pike’s Enterprise in a way that brings up the TOS cast is inherently a bad one, its that people don’t trust the people doing it

Kind of reminds me of Enterprise a bit, everybody was initially all excited about Scott Bakula because he's really talented and likeable, and then the rest of the show happened because it was the same people that made Voyager behind the scenes

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Here's what's going to happen. Scotty will be introduced on the ship, probably as a starting main character since he was hinted at in Discovery. Early season 2, Lt. Kirk is going to show up as a frat boy lothario who hits on Number One and probably bangs a minor character who hasn't been cast yet. He then learns responsibility from Pike. By the end of season 2, every TOS main character will have shown up for an episode or more, even teenage Chekhov somehow. Then a new spinoff is announced: Star Trek: Year Four, which is about the 4th year of the five year mission with the original crew, all recasted. We'll also get updates on what happened to all the Pike-era crew throughout that show, and at least one joins the Kirk crew but somehow doesn't look years older.

That, but condensed to one season.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I'll actually give them the benefit of the doubt on this aspect, because we were all prepared to hate the idea of Spock, Pike, and Number 1 in Discovery and they ended up being some of the best facets of the season. None of the stuff that fans were predicting they would come to hate about those characters came to pass.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The fact they punted Discovery into the future makes me think that this is basically them trying a different approach to the prequel series idea. That gives some hope that they might embrace the fun.

What's Simon Pegg up to nowadays? Don't think he'd be right to play Scotty in a whole series, but from Beyond he definitely gets the franchise and would be a great voice to have in the room helping them find the right tone.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Also I'll be pumped if the opening credits are basically the Beyond end credits but with less blown up planets and more whooshing Enterprise.

https://youtu.be/swpuB-LmwZM

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Senor Tron posted:

Also I'll be pumped if the opening credits are basically the Beyond end credits but with less blown up planets and more whooshing Enterprise.

https://youtu.be/swpuB-LmwZM

Okay, but I kind of always wanted a Trek show, like a headliner show, to inherit the First Contact theme the same way TNG inherited the first Movie theme.

https://youtu.be/mhoa7oWPPhk

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Pike Show's intro should just be Magic Carpet Ride with really psychedelic visuals

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I'd be fine if the opening were just the "New Star Trek TV Series Trailer" from back in 2016. (Minus the "CBS PRESENTS - A NEW ADVENTURE" voiceover and the "New Crews. New Villains. New Heroes. New Worlds." text.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSy7PuN7F4Q

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Give Bryan Fuller a second shot.

It'll be funny.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I still like to hope that sometime in the next few decades Ron Moore is given another shot.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hand over the reigns of a Star Trek show to DAVID LYNCH.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

What's Simon Pegg up to nowadays? Don't think he'd be right to play Scotty in a whole series, but from Beyond he definitely gets the franchise and would be a great voice to have in the room helping them find the right tone.

He's weirdly jacked as all hell these days

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

feedmyleg posted:

I still like to hope that sometime in the next few decades Ron Moore is given another shot.

After getting bored of writing about whatever he just saw on the history channel the night before he'd inevitably plough the show into the brickwall of theological onanism.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Ron Moore sometime before his writing on Star Trek Generations might come up with some half decent work.

Ugh, that story of his when he got so excited about writing Kirk's death and it was the first draft where he was shot in the back.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I'll actually give them the benefit of the doubt on this aspect, because we were all prepared to hate the idea of Spock, Pike, and Number 1 in Discovery and they ended up being some of the best facets of the season. None of the stuff that fans were predicting they would come to hate about those characters came to pass.

This is mainly because none of those characters had the lens of plot focus on them apart from when Pike got his future-knowledge.

The vast majority of the cast of every Star Trek show have been good at their jobs and demonstrated some great acting when given the opportunity. It's always been the script-writing that took a nosedive at the conclusion of DS9.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/andoriansoup/status/1261648340246310913

sure why not

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The doctor who comes with a martini kit, rather than medicine.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Alchenar posted:

This is mainly because none of those characters had the lens of plot focus on them apart from when Pike got his future-knowledge.

Pike also had the spotlight in the Talos episode, and most of the season hung around Spock though?

I am just saying I wouldn't say we have any reason to anticipate the characterizations of the other characters to be wildly out of, uh, character.

There are obviously problems with the writing but that hasnt been one of them.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly if they have this many concurrent trek series and no one throws a series regular bone to combs it's some kind of malpractice

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

They didn't give Combs any roles in Discovery or Picard..

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Badger posted:

They didn't give Combs any roles in Discovery or Picard..

Saving him to play Pike's CMO

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Saving him to play Pike's CMO

Let's get the fan campaign going. I mean, they seem to write partly by internet focus grouping as it is, so who knows?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Anthology show, every episode different characters and point in Trek history, all characters played by Combs

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
A new Star Trek show, but it's just combs doing Shakespeare in a park somewhere

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Now these are some ideas I can get behind.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
New Star Trek series but it’s just security cam footage from a Wendy’s

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

When you’re the prop guy and realize you forgot to put air holes in the space suit but cameras roll in two minutes

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ugh

Probably my list favorite line in Trek

Going to age like Katerian milk

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ugh

even if Elon wasn't a horrible weird piece of poo poo, what the gently caress has he innovated in space travel aside from helping privatize it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Ugh

even if Elon wasn't a horrible weird piece of poo poo, what the gently caress has he innovated in space travel aside from helping privatize it

No don't you see, he's a real life Tony Stark!

And he made that hideous truck!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Ugh

Lorca only said that because Jason Issacs was trying to get a free Tesla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Ugh

ok not to defend the billionaire rear end in a top hat, please accept this disclaimer

The key to being able to do poo poo meaningfully in space is cheap, reliable access. The way to do that is to reuse boosters and spacecraft as much as possible, the Shuttle was supposed to be this but due to a bunch of different factors the vehicle still needed to basically be rebuilt after each flight. The existing launch providers had no real interest in building reusable rockets because they could make more profit by selling expendable ones, so for years we had the shuttle going to orbit and that was it.

Eventually, the Shuttle program comes to an end and at the same time some rich nerd decides he's going to dedicate himself to doing what the other rich fucks won't: building the reusable vehicles. Most other private space endeavours are hobby horses for rich people and usually they lose interest and funding dries up after the concept art but before the hardware gets built, or if they *do* get that far they're hilariously mismanaged into dirt like Bigelow Aerospace. Musk just kept at it long enough to eventually see results. He's not a genius or a visionary, he's just the first geek with enough money to weasel his way into the industry at just the right moment to undercut the other launch providers. Jeff Bezos has been doing the same thing but quietly.

And now reflown booster rockets are a reality and costs are starting to come down, plus they've kitbashed three booster into one big stack called Falcon Heavy whose cores are all useable the same way. SpaceX is on it's way to building a prototype massive cargo spaceship and rocket more capable than anything ever launched before. Blue Origin is also far along toward building their own Falcon Heavy sized single core booster which is also supposed to be reusable, but Bezos' approach seems to be to take his time and buddy up to the legacy rocket companies instead of steamrolling them.

SpaceX and Blue Origin will more than likely be the leading space launch providers in the future and if the "old space" companies don't adapt they're finished.

anyway rich people are truly terrible please don't eat me but there is some serious poo poo going down re: space travel lately

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 18, 2020