Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

peanut- posted:

Listened to the audiobook of that recently, highly recommended for both the lore and the extremely racist White Scars voices.

The Black Library (Warhammer): Come For The Lore, Stay For The Racism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Halfway through the second Cain novel, and the shtick is wearing thin. I particularly dislike the constant humorous footnotes.

On a side note, I am amazed by so much of 40k artwork. I don’t know if any franchise inspires such high-quality fan art.

-Alexey Kruglov

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I really enjoy the Cain books but they are incredibly same-y and formulaic.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Just read Slaves to Darkness and met the first Obliterator the demon basically saying "nah, pretty happy trapped here instead of having to fight for eternity" was great. It adds nothing to the larger Heresy and is entirely skippable but I enjoyed it a lot, it's not actively stupid like Battle for the Abyss.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Halfway through the second Cain novel, and the shtick is wearing thin. I particularly dislike the constant humorous footnotes.

On a side note, I am amazed by so much of 40k artwork. I don’t know if any franchise inspires such high-quality fan art.

-Alexey Kruglov

yeah cain is fun but its very formulaic and tiring at times. id say its the lays potato chips of 40k books. pretty good but they get old after a bit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just want to say that the Magos is way better than I ever hoped for

It owns

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
After years of reading 40k stuff I'm finally on "Deliverance Lost" and it's so weird to read about the Emperor talking to people, even if via possessing someone, or telepathy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I 100% believe gullyman heard nothing from Emps and just sat their faking it

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'd be down for the Emperor talking, but it's all disjointed messages from random points in time.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Then there’s The Last Church where the Emperor goes full +In this moment I am euphoric+

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Waroduce posted:

I really enjoy the Cain books but they are incredibly same-y and formulaic.

They are yes, they're a chore to read in succession. But as palate cleansers between books they're excellent.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Emps has talked to people every so often, mostly custodes and random very important individuals I think?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

euphronius posted:

I 100% believe gullyman heard nothing from Emps and just sat their faking it

The Emperor said it's my turn to play the xbox

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Dick Trauma posted:

After years of reading 40k stuff I'm finally on "Deliverance Lost" and it's so weird to read about the Emperor talking to people, even if via possessing someone, or telepathy.
The weird thing is no one seems to find it weird. Your "just a man" boss casually using crazy mind powers to talk to you, like it's an everyday thing.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Relevant Tangent posted:

Just read Slaves to Darkness and met the first Obliterator the demon basically saying "nah, pretty happy trapped here instead of having to fight for eternity" was great. It adds nothing to the larger Heresy and is entirely skippable but I enjoyed it a lot, it's not actively stupid like Battle for the Abyss.

Any book where Lorgar eats poo poo is worth it to me.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
From Fell Cargo, a warhammer fantasy book.

"I have not the words, Sesto. No words to do it justice. Blood, there is blood. Pestilence. I see the future, I think. Fire and sword, fire and sword. Wholesale war. And darkness. Such suffocating darkness. Is that what is to come, Sesto? A grim darkness of the far future where there is only war?"

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I like how the Emperor spells out his big plan to one of his Custodes in Master Of Mankind, who promptly drops his jaw and goes Jesus Christ.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SardonicTyrant posted:

I like how the Emperor spells out his big plan to one of his Custodes in Master Of Mankind, who promptly drops his jaw and goes Jesus Christ.

The arrogance!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Telsa Cola posted:

From Fell Cargo, a warhammer fantasy book.

"I have not the words, Sesto. No words to do it justice. Blood, there is blood. Pestilence. I see the future, I think. Fire and sword, fire and sword. Wholesale war. And darkness. Such suffocating darkness. Is that what is to come, Sesto? A grim darkness of the far future where there is only war?"

lol

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a war hammer smashing into a human face for 40,000 years. A Warhammer 40,000 if you will.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

A few chapters in listening to First And Only, and whew boy I already hate these two chucklefuck officers. Firenz / Dravere? The gently caress is their problem. The voice the narrator chooses for the General really nails the "gently caress this guy in particular" feeling.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Draker Flense and Hechtor Dravere. Two rather large assholes. Nowhere near the worst.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

mythicknight posted:

A few chapters in listening to First And Only, and whew boy I already hate these two chucklefuck officers. Firenz / Dravere? The gently caress is their problem. The voice the narrator chooses for the General really nails the "gently caress this guy in particular" feeling.

Just wait! There’s even bigger assholes!

I’m about halfway through Storm of Iron. I’m enjoying it so far.

Question: is there any recommendation for lore related to Alpha Legion?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Modulo16 posted:

Just wait! There’s even bigger assholes!

I’m about halfway through Storm of Iron. I’m enjoying it so far.

Question: is there any recommendation for lore related to Alpha Legion?

Sons of the Hydra is probably your best bet as far as 40k goes. It and Shroud of Night are the only two I know of that are fully focused on the Alpha Legion. I enjoyed Sons of the Hydra, but a lot of people didn't. It's certainly not top tier BL, but I like the AL and it was readable. Legion is a the best 30k look at them and was written by Abnett so it's pretty good. If you just want lore maybe just go read through their wiki articles? I really wish BL would flesh them out more, but doing them justice is very tricky, not a lot of authors can write a good plot that has as many twists and turns and quadruple crosses as the AL deserves.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Amazon keeps recommending the Cacharodon books. They any good?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

They're pretty good. Solid space marine action.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I wasn't too impressed with Red Tithe, but it's not bad per se, just sort of mediocre.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I love that the Carcharodon plan in the second book to uncover a genestealer cult is to kick off a planet wide riot so the cult thinks it's their chance. Purge enough people and the heretic dies eventually.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 20, 2020

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Guyver posted:

I love that the Carcharodon plan in the second book to uncover a genestealer cult is to kick off a planet wide riot so the cult thinks it's their chance. Purge enough people and the heretic dies eventually.

The population can't be Genestealer kissed if there's no population to Genestealer kiss. *taps forehead*

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Pro fuckin' click:

https://twitter.com/K_Iragana_A/status/1262778208132296705?s=20

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Just finished up the Fabius Bile books. I always just thought of him as a Dr. Moreau rip-off, and to a large extent he is, but his whole "third way" shtick is a really refreshing departure from the normal Imperium / Chaos dynamic. The secondary characters in the books are generally pretty interesting as well, and there's some really fun fluff that gets factored into the plot. Would highly recommend these to anyone who has given them a pass based on a lack of interest in the protagonist.

Really excited now to see how he factors into the Psychic Awakening and Dark Imperium stuff now.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Paddyo posted:

Just finished up the Fabius Bile books. I always just thought of him as a Dr. Moreau rip-off, and to a large extent he is, but his whole "third way" shtick is a really refreshing departure from the normal Imperium / Chaos dynamic. The secondary characters in the books are generally pretty interesting as well, and there's some really fun fluff that gets factored into the plot. Would highly recommend these to anyone who has given them a pass based on a lack of interest in the protagonist.

Really excited now to see how he factors into the Psychic Awakening and Dark Imperium stuff now.

Ugh - I don’t know how I did not pick up on the Doctor Moreau reference until now. Thanks for connecting the dots for me! I absolutely agree that he is one of the more interesting characters in the setting. I like the whole “one of the only guys who stills buys into the Imperial Truth is a chaos marine” aspect of his backstory.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I believe the 3rd Bile book, Manflayer, was supposed to release a few weeks ago but got delayed due to covid. Now that they've opened their webstore back up we could get it anytime.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Paddyo posted:

Do we ever get an answer on why Abaddon didn't just kill the guy?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

D-Pad posted:

I believe the 3rd Bile book, Manflayer, was supposed to release a few weeks ago but got delayed due to covid. Now that they've opened their webstore back up we could get it anytime.

Manflayer is what's on his rad skin tunic written in rhinestones

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Ugh - I don’t know how I did not pick up on the Doctor Moreau reference until now. Thanks for connecting the dots for me! I absolutely agree that he is one of the more interesting characters in the setting. I like the whole “one of the only guys who stills buys into the Imperial Truth is a chaos marine” aspect of his backstory.

Yeah, and he's still all about the original spirit of the Great Crusade too. He just realizes that in order to not be dominated over by daemons, aliens, or Space Marines baseline humanity needs some new tools introduced into the gene pool to give them a fighting chance to succeed on their own merits.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Paddyo posted:

Yeah, and he's still all about the original spirit of the Great Crusade too. He just realizes that in order to not be dominated over by daemons, aliens, or Space Marines baseline humanity needs some new tools introduced into the gene pool to give them a fighting chance to succeed on their own merits.

I think that's just what he tells himself while really he's just a sicko madman

Kind of like how the nightlords pretend they bring justice when really they just like to skin people

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Ego-bot posted:

Do we ever get an answer on why Abaddon didn't just kill the guy?

It's hinted that the Chaos Powers just love the guy for some reason, and that he plays a big role in some favorable future event. Interestingly enough the Harlequins feel the same way for the same reason.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I think that's just what he tells himself while really he's just a sicko madman

Kind of like how the nightlords pretend they bring justice when really they just like to skin people

Of course! That's what we all love about 40K, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Paddyo posted:

Of course! That's what we all love about 40K, right?

Heck ya.