Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

They gave away a game with a hundred gig filesize and they're surprised that there are issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They stick to actual history in the main game, so unless you want him to be the guy doing too much bloodletting, their hands were tied there... but they made alternate history DLC where you kill the poo poo out of him.

Yeah, that's partly what I meant but it's Asscreed canon that Ezio punched a pope to death so they could have if they really wanted to. Maybe years later Connor disguises himself as a doctor who's quick to prescribe bloodletting.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

bony tony posted:

I'm on fiber, and I peaked at 9 mb/s. With Steam it's usually 99

Lucky you. I've got sbit internet and no options for anything faster :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I dearly loved Final Fantasy 7 Remake start to finish but man I wish they'd given you invincibility frames or damage resist during your roll. I get that it's not REALLY that kind of game but come on, that's industry standard for ARPGs these days. The dodge roll basically only was useful for rolling out of the way of magic or projectiles too quick to strafe around, it was completely useless for actually dodging attacks or repositioning. In the middle of the game or so, Cloud gets a 'parry' materia that gives you a dodge that does NOT have i-frames but IS uninterruptable and gives you huge damage resist, and it was so incredibly useful I never took it off for a second for the rest of the playthrough.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:54 on May 16, 2020

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, that's partly what I meant but it's Asscreed canon that Ezio punched a pope to death so they could have if they really wanted to. Maybe years later Connor disguises himself as a doctor who's quick to prescribe bloodletting.

Actually that’s another good example because in AssCreed 2 Ezio doesn’t kill the Pope after beating him up (which screws him over in the next game) and he ultimately dies by poisoning in the year he’s supposed to die historically.

I remember because there were a lot of complaints at the time that Ezio chose to spare him out of a sense of letting go even though it still would have been his duty regardless, and it came down to the same argument about history not lining up.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

christmas boots posted:

Actually that’s another good example because in AssCreed 2 Ezio doesn’t kill the Pope after beating him up (which screws him over in the next game) and he ultimately dies by poisoning in the year he’s supposed to die historically.

I remember because there were a lot of complaints at the time that Ezio chose to spare him out of a sense of letting go even though it still would have been his duty regardless, and it came down to the same argument about history not lining up.

Huh, now I wonder if I forgot that the pope survived or if I really thought he died when I played.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

Huh, now I wonder if I forgot that the pope survived or if I really thought he died when I played.

You probably forgot, it’s pretty unambiguous that he survives.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
It was great how everyone yelled at Ezio for letting the guy live.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I love Project High Rise as a modern SimTower. It's got so many little touches and a very intuitive UI. There are lots of demands, but it always makes sense. So yes, if you build hotel rooms, you need to build a housekeeping room. And it's logical to need broom closets on floors that use custodians.

The problem is how easy it is to build yourself into a corner because you didn't know ahead about these things. I'm putting all my client services (courier, storage, IT dept) in the basement and the game encourages this. I recently got the hotel expansion so I add some hotel rooms. Cool. They need housekeeping. No problem, build it in the basement. Wait, what's this? Housekeeping needs its own wide elevators. Which are wider than the elevators I currently have. And there isn't room to replace my current ones with larger unless I move out the adjacent businesses. So I spend a ton of money to do that, have to screw around with building/removing elevators and stairs to keep everything accessible to maintenance, and am pissing off a lot of tenants while I endlessly shuffle things around. Finally, get a bunch of my elevators replaced with the new service elevators.

But for some reason, everyone above ground floor is pissed. Why? Because it turns out regular tenants CAN'T USE the new elevators at all. Only hotel staff. So everybody is trapped on or off their current floors. I don't have the room to build a second elevator shaft and I sure as hell don't have the money. I don't even have the ability to put in stairs at this point! I can wait until midnight to get some more money, but by that point dozens of tenants will be moved out and I still won't have enough money to fix this mess. Basically, I "lost."

This has happened a few times before on smaller scales (needing room for trash bins, closets, vending machines, etc), but fixing that usually isn't too bad. But this wrecked my entire economy.

Just weird how much empty space you have to leave yourself for things you might need later. It's still a fantastic game, but when you're learning it and don't know what's coming in the next tier of unlocks, you can really screw yourself.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I really loved SimTower when I was younger but thinking about it it really is a strange game. SimCity makes a certain conceptual sense for how a city could be built and developed but no skyscraper would ever grow like that!

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
So I spent a whole night downloading GTAV, a 100 gig game. Then when I try to run it, I have to install a 1 gig Rockstar Games Launcher. Immediately the launcher installation fails, and my PC freezes up. Now it's been in the process of restarting for the past 40 minutes. I know rockstar has always had these annoying launcher/social club things for PC games but I installed a game that's 10 percent of my hdd already. I already own this game, I just wanted to run it for like a half hour to see how my PC handled it, now I can't use my computer for anything. I'm not sure if I'll ever even try to run it again now.

I don't know man. Modern PC gaming fills up my hard drive with insanely huge install sizes, then they always add obnoxious additional poo poo you have to install just to play the game, and if you're really unlucky you end up with major security risks like denuvo anti cheat on your pc. I'm sure a large part of the problem is that my PC sucks, but Christ I am getting sick of dealing with the bullshit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The new COD Modern Warfare is currently sitting at 180GB on my hard drive. It's obscene. Compress your textures better you jerks!!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:lmao: I just broke down and bought another bigger microSD card for my Switch because I could not clear enough space for a 20-something GB game between the system memory and the small card I have in there :rip:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

The new COD Modern Warfare is currently sitting at 180GB on my hard drive. It's obscene. Compress your textures better you jerks!!

I hadn’t updated it on my laptop in ages and it started downloading a 100 GB patch. I wish I could just install the multiplayer. I’ve beaten the single player so I’m done with that now, let me delete it and free up some hard drive space!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Eclipse12 posted:

Project Highrise

Yes! Super agreed, elevator real estate is so annoying.

It also sucks when you've got a real nice lobby with a fountain and stuff, but nobody comes out goes. Everybody just goes into the basement to ride the metro instead.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lobok posted:

I really loved SimTower when I was younger but thinking about it it really is a strange game. SimCity makes a certain conceptual sense for how a city could be built and developed but no skyscraper would ever grow like that!

Adding a floor and an elevator to an occupied skyscraper is insane if you think about it even medium-hard.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

:lmao: I just broke down and bought another bigger microSD card for my Switch because I could not clear enough space for a 20-something GB game between the system memory and the small card I have in there :rip:

The nice thing is that Switch games are so small compared to other systems so once you upgrade you never have to think about it again. I’m constantly having to juggle which games I have installed on my PS4 and to a lesser degree the Xbox, but I bought a 256 GB microSD card for the Switch and installed every game I own on it and I’m just over half capacity.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The nice thing is that Switch games are so small compared to other systems so once you upgrade you never have to think about it again. I’m constantly having to juggle which games I have installed on my PS4 and to a lesser degree the Xbox, but I bought a 256 GB microSD card for the Switch and installed every game I own on it and I’m just over half capacity.

yeah even if you get a mutliplat game like doom, they'll be way smaller than their PC/PS4/Xbox versions. I would assume much of that is the texture work, some of it modelling optimization.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Oh for sure, it's impressive how long you can go just half-assing your storage space, especially if you use a mix of cartridges and downloads. Then the sudden shock when you find a game you literally can't fit without wiping out some of your must-haves.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Adding a floor and an elevator to an occupied skyscraper is insane if you think about it even medium-hard.

You don't want to tear down that first fast food restaurant you built. That Burger King is like Atlas holding up the world.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Honestly I don't know why people liked the battle system in the Final Fantasy 7 Remake. It was just Kingdom Hearts, but slightly less clunky. I never felt like I was really all that in control of avoiding damage, the stagger mechanic sometimes seemed poorly implemented, air enemies were a pain to deal with the whole time, the fights could get obnoxiously long, and juggling materia around was a huge pain, especially since your party members are constantly coming and going.

The game was generally good but I didn't find the fighting much more engaging than typical turn-based stuff.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Casey Finnigan posted:

So I spent a whole night downloading GTAV, a 100 gig game. Then when I try to run it, I have to install a 1 gig Rockstar Games Launcher. Immediately the launcher installation fails, and my PC freezes up. Now it's been in the process of restarting for the past 40 minutes. I know rockstar has always had these annoying launcher/social club things for PC games but I installed a game that's 10 percent of my hdd already. I already own this game, I just wanted to run it for like a half hour to see how my PC handled it, now I can't use my computer for anything. I'm not sure if I'll ever even try to run it again now.

I don't know man. Modern PC gaming fills up my hard drive with insanely huge install sizes, then they always add obnoxious additional poo poo you have to install just to play the game, and if you're really unlucky you end up with major security risks like denuvo anti cheat on your pc. I'm sure a large part of the problem is that my PC sucks, but Christ I am getting sick of dealing with the bullshit.

AAA game design is hot trash because at some point most of the devs decided optimization was a coward's gambit and now almost every major release is like 80gigs at minimum, with larger games being like 100 to 200 gigs and it loving sucks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Making file sizes larger is frequently an optimization move because uncompressed textures require less memory to unpack, which allows developers to get more mileage out of weaker console CPUs. Non-4k displays should probably have the option of downloading a smaller file size though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I remember when Max Payne 3 came out it was 32 GB and I was shocked it was so huge. That seems quaint now.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

The no-CD install of Marathon was 80MB, and I routinely wiped that so I could do school work.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

exquisite tea posted:

Making file sizes larger is frequently an optimization move because uncompressed textures require less memory to unpack, which allows developers to get more mileage out of weaker console CPUs. Non-4k displays should probably have the option of downloading a smaller file size though.

The Surge 2 lets you turn off texture streaming, which makes the game load all of the textures an area needs (minus stuff that spawns in) during the loading screen. As a result the game uses a few GB more memory and takes a few seconds longer to load, but there's no pop-in whatsoever and it runs generally smoother. Hopefully as consoles get closer to being PCs in a fancy box, which seems to be the trend to me, they'll start to incorporate more PC-standard options like that.

edit: This doesn't have anything to do with reducing file size, just thought I'd mention that texture streaming is a problem which may soon be solved for consoles and I think that's pretty neat.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:53 on May 16, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nuebot posted:

AAA game design is hot trash because at some point most of the devs decided optimization was a coward's gambit and now almost every major release is like 80gigs at minimum, with larger games being like 100 to 200 gigs and it loving sucks.

Once they weren't constrained by physical media it was all over.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

CJacobs posted:

The Surge 2 lets you turn off texture streaming, which makes the game load all of the textures an area needs (minus stuff that spawns in) during the loading screen. As a result the game uses a few GB more memory and takes a few seconds longer to load, but there's no pop-in whatsoever and it runs generally smoother. Hopefully as consoles get closer to being PCs in a fancy box, which seems to be the trend to me, they'll start to incorporate more PC-standard options like that.

edit: This doesn't have anything to do with reducing file size, just thought I'd mention that texture streaming is a problem which may soon be solved for consoles and I think that's pretty neat.

I recently started playing the surge two, it's bloody good I'll need to dig around the setting menu

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Casey Finnigan posted:

Holy poo poo do I ever get it, bro.

I REALLY miss the days of wanting to play a game, firing it up and...you know...PLAYING the loving game instead of needing update # 15, a fresh update for a game right out of the box and then a console update on top of it so 45 minutes later I guess I can play now. I kind of have a hard on in general about how great and super convenient all these apps and poo poo are and how they're supposed to make our lives easier and more convenient but I swear to loving god I spend as much time fussing with poo poo to get it to work than I do enjoying it.

:corsair:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Okay but like, for example Bubble Bobble Revolution was a game released on the DS, a system without the ability to update games. Could pop in and play it immediately.

The 3rd boss of the game never spawns in the level it's supposed to. Literally no way to progress past the level as a result. The game is literally impossible to play past that point.

Updates are a pain and all, but imagine the patch notes that come with them. Now imagine all those problems are still present in the game, and always will be

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The solution to that is to make sure your game works before rushing it out the door, which is like the main benefit of consoles as a platform- every copy of a video game on every console in every home will work exactly the same as it does for everyone else including the people who made the thing and tested it on their own devkits. This worked perfectly fine for almost 30 years with very few of those showstopping hiccups, and then digital game sales happened.

edit: Which is of course different than patches that do stuff like fiddle with a game's balance or add or remove rotating content in the case of gigantic games like Modern Warfare. In that respect it's a major boon to game developers because now they have the ability to respond to player feedback without shipping whole new replacement discs to retailers. The problem is that games are frequently squeezed into 10-ish massive encrypted pack files, which need to be completely redownloaded and replaced every time a patch comes out.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:07 on May 17, 2020

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

CJacobs posted:

If it helps, the next generation of consoles is going essentially the exact opposite direction as that, with relatively small amounts of very fast memory and a highly optimized storage-to-RAM pathway. They plan to be able to stream in assets fast enough that you won't notice. Where this leaves PCs, where you can't plan around PCI-E 4 solid state drives and GDDR6 memory, remains to be seen.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Dove in and bought super mega baseball 3. The scoreboard has changed and looks way worse now, why are there 4 pips for balls and 3 for strikes and outs? Never seen a scoreboard do that before.

The sound mixing seems off as well, bat/ball contact sounds really bad now.

Fun game though, new mechanics aren't bad. I expect the error/pass ball rate will drop because eholy heck there are a lot right now.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

What's dragging down Terraria has always been seeing the amazing housing creations people build and knowing I'll never have the time or talent to do so myself.

Guess I'll just go back to cactus shack, wood shack, ice shack, slime shack, etc forever.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

John Pastor posted:

Where this leaves PCs, where you can't plan around PCI-E 4 solid state drives and GDDR6 memory, remains to be seen.
Multiplatform games are making the jump from being optimized for HDDs, so I think the first few years will be finally making use of SATA SSDs before devs get comfortable going further.

BiggerBoat posted:

Holy poo poo do I ever get it, bro.

I REALLY miss the days of wanting to play a game, firing it up and...you know...PLAYING the loving game
I almost cried when I could just pop Breath of the Wild in and run it on launch day without any interruptions, it felt downright surreal.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

SSDs are almost ubiquitous in even lower-end PCs these days, I don't think too many people who intend to game on their systems are going to be left in the dust with the next console generation.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I shudder to think of playing Prey without an SSD. So many load-screens in the last act. Or all the Souls game that force you to speak with a waifu to level-up.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dark Souls III on PC is really, really badly optimised. I've got a 1060 6GB and 16 gigs of ram, and the frame-rate randomly fluctuates from 60fps-10fps (usually at the worst possible time). I've limited it to 30fps and turned a lot of effects down to low, but it still chugs randomly. I think it's because it only uses a single processor core. Shame because Dark Souls 2 SOTFS was buttery smooth from start to finish.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I had that stuttering problem among several others in DS3 and it turns out disabling DPI scaling and fullscreen optimizations through admin properties solved it. Might be worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I had that stuttering problem among several others in DS3 and it turns out disabling DPI scaling and fullscreen optimizations through admin properties solved it. Might be worth a shot.

I'll give it a try, thanks.

e: hey, this really did help. I had a quick run around Firelink and it stayed locked at 60FPS. thanks!

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 13:41 on May 17, 2020