Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Animal posted:

I flew Amazon One on it’s very first flight out of Seattle after it’s christening ceremony with Jeff Bezos. It was dripping water on me from the overhead panels.

Bruh I had a brand new MAX 8 do that to me the first time I flew one. I think Boeing just designs them to leak on you for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
It's either drip on the pilots or the avionics and we know which one's cheaper to replace.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Animal posted:

don’t worry soon enough we’ll pick those 777’s from the desert, convert them, and put them to good use flying rubber dog poo poo and dildos out of China for DHL and Amazon.

As an aside but has anyone even done a 777 P2F conversion yet? I can't seem to recall any. But I'm guessing there's gonna be both a huge market and ready supply of aircraft soon.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrChips posted:

As an aside but has anyone even done a 777 P2F conversion yet? I can't seem to recall any. But I'm guessing there's gonna be both a huge market and ready supply of aircraft soon.

I found this article: https://www.flightglobal.com/mro/gecas-and-iai-launch-777-300er-cargo-conversion/134817.article

https://www.iai.co.il/p/777-300ersf
Website claims 2022 introduction to service.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm going to start throwing my resume out since I'm expecting to be furloughed at some point. I'm updating my hours, but what hours do recruiters like to see on a resume now that I have my ATP and a type rating? Another question: under my current job as a 121 FO, should I actually list out my duties or is it widely accepted that an FO at one airline probably does the same poo poo as an FO at any other airline? I've been at my current airline for less than 6mo so the seniority feels meaningless right now so if I can get on somewhere else, I'm probably not going to bother accepting a recall. I'm looking primarily at home based jobs, looks like Atlas, XO Jet, Omni, Kalitta, and Netjets are on that list. Any input from the Atlas guys around here? Worth looking at? I see Omni is hiring right now too but from what I heard, it's really tough to get in there unless you already have international heavy jet experience.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

two_beer_bishes posted:

Any input from the Atlas guys around here? Worth looking at?

Worth looking at as in, is it possible to get in, or if it’s a decent job?

It’s a kickass job with a lovely contract and literal rattlesnakes running the company. Right now you apply everywhere and be happy for whatever you can get. You will be competing with dudes who would have been shoe-ins for Delta and United just a few months ago.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I took a salaried gig as assistant chief pilot at a flight school rather than hurry to the airlines

I swear I didn’t see this coming

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The recruiters at allegiant liked my logs. I was worried it was going to be my biggest negative so I organized and compartmentalized them as well as I could.

I had everything together in a big binder. My 2 paper logs had their own totals at the end, the 3-ring section was a monthly print out of my duty logs from the last 4 years with my signature on each page. The last pages were copies of my FlightSafety training records and printed logs of my Level D sim time (because I have a bajillion hours and some people like that.)

What they really liked was an updated summary page on top of everything. On that was non-rounded:

Flight
Dual Given
PIC
Multi
Multi Turbojet
Multi Turbojet PIC

They gave me a compliment on my records being easy to navigate and we moved right on.

Edit: at the very least I’d say to look at a gouge and their list of required times, make sure you don’t leave any of those numbers out of plain sight.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 17, 2020

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

In aviation you win some crises you lose some. 2008-2012 I drifted around did the pilots equivalent of sucking dick for food. This time around I’m :smug: as I read facebook messages asking for a reference from dudes who at one point in the past told me my airline was beneath them.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
My flight school Chief just told me they need to hire 17 new instructors to meet their demand without losing anyone.

They couldn’t keep a CFI to save their lives 2 months ago. As,Aries advanced flight instructor position?? No way.

Now? Hahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaahha

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

Worth looking at as in, is it possible to get in, or if it’s a decent job?

It’s a kickass job with a lovely contract and literal rattlesnakes running the company. Right now you apply everywhere and be happy for whatever you can get. You will be competing with dudes who would have been shoe-ins for Delta and United just a few months ago.
Pretty much this, I know we were focusing on TSA and Compass guys but I don’t know how many of them are left. Also last I heard classes are full for basically the rest of the year.

Animal posted:

I’m :smug: as I read facebook messages asking for a reference from dudes who at one point in the past told me my airline was beneath them.

:same:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I like the act of instructing but I will never. Ever. Do it again while my finances depend on it.

I will leave aviation if the cards end up being that lovely.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Ha I said the same thing about ever flying part 135 again but here I am testing the waters to see if I could go back to either of my poo poo-rear end previous air ambulance jobs

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

I like the act of instructing but I will never. Ever. Do it again while my finances depend on it.

I will leave aviation if the cards end up being that lovely.

Instructing as a hobby job owns.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I really liked teaching primary and IFR. Teaching Vmc in multi was not relaxing and I hated it but yeah. It’s definitely my retirement plan.

Having rent become a problem because it rains for week or whatever is poo poo though.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Captain Apollo posted:

My flight school Chief just told me they need to hire 17 new instructors to meet their demand without losing anyone.

They couldn’t keep a CFI to save their lives 2 months ago. As,Aries advanced flight instructor position?? No way.

Now? Hahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaahha

We had two guys who were within weeks of going to Wisconsin before the Rona hit.

Meanwhile, one of our guys who went (Blue) Streakin' last summer messaged me last week offering to help with anything the flight school might need because his hours have been cut.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

xaarman posted:

My thoughts: you either have anxiety issues, can't handle a volatile industry, and/or want other people to validate your freak out.

All airlines are in serious trouble if passenger count stays at 9% of what it was last year: https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus/passenger-throughput

But it's increasing slowly.

PS: United is hosed the most.

Wha? I don't follow, man. I'm just bored AF not flying on reserve, I'm not "freaking out". Yeah, I'll be unemployed Oct 1, but eventually I'll get recalled. I just have no idea what I'm going to do in the meantime, I doubt it'll be a flying job for a bit. :shrug: Sometimes it be like dat.

The Boeing CEO came out and said the same thing but without speculating. And he got poo poo on, but I don't know that he was wrong. Why do you think UA is hosed the most? UA def got hit first with the loss of the Asia flying, but Asia is more used to pandemics and has seemingly handled it the best and they're up and humming. 4 flights to China come back in June I believe (and right now flying a shitload of cargo only over there, but that's temporary). Hawaiian has ~226 days of cash on hand right now, and David Ige just extended the Hawaii tourism restriction thru June 30th. They've also got a weird mix of flying that's mostly tourism dependent, between flights to the mainland and Asia. I assume their interisland stuff is doing a little better and will recover quickest. If anybody deserves aid most it's probably them since government restrictions are making it very hard for them to do any kind of business.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/us-airlines-cash-reserves-coronavirus/ These were the pre-cares act #s though. Ultimately, some of the airlines will come out of this with more debt than others, and I think we're going to see another round of consolidation and mergers. Not looking for any pilot group to get screwed over, ultimately any airline that fails isn't going to cease to exist overnight, just be forced to go into BK court.

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 17, 2020

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
That doesn't apply to regionals, especially the ones that don't own their airplanes.

I'd expect Skywest to survive (gotta have someone to whipsaw the union pilots against), but the regionals that aren't wholly owned could be in trouble, especially if scope ends up forcing them to park airplanes proportionally to mainline carriers doing so.

I'm probably in decent shape (top 25% of the seniority list at a regional owned by a major with zero scope, and we're already taking their flying), but I'm still getting my resume and logbook updated and looking at not-flying jobs.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

azflyboy posted:

I'd expect Skywest to survive

Of course. Everyone knows that the cockroaches will survive the apocalypse. :haw:

(This applies better to Mesa but after hearing multiple OO pilots call themselves a "mainline regional" I can't help but give them some flak)

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Yeah.

Skywest has a couple of E-175's that were obviously intended for us (or Embraer accidentally installed CATIII antennas and an extra jumpseat that doesn't match anything else Skywest has in their fleet), but they're basically Wal-Mart with jets at this point, so they aren't going anywhere.

I know American has been unhappy with Mesa in the past, but since Amazon decided to give them 737's, they might manage to survive this to continue loving up after Covid-19 goes away.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I still am not sure how I feel about regionals getting the CARES act funding. I feel like the structure should be different, since their pay is based on completed flights, not load factor. (See Skywest making a profit when everybody else lost, for example.)

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

The Slaughter posted:

Wha? I don't follow, man. I'm just bored AF not flying on reserve, I'm not "freaking out". Yeah, I'll be unemployed Oct 1, but eventually I'll get recalled. I just have no idea what I'm going to do in the meantime, I doubt it'll be a flying job for a bit. :shrug: Sometimes it be like dat.

I get you're bored and spending time on the internet makes even the most optimist a bit cynical. But the doom/gloom/hosed part of your posts aren't doing anyone here any favors.

I can list 10 reasons why AA, DAL, and UAL are hosed... each one for different reasons. But this isn't the APC forums, and if you want to continue making yourself miserable, there are a lot of pilots over there who will happily answer your questions.

I'm not being naive, there's a chance I'll be unemployed Oct 1st. I was going to move to Dallas, my wife was going to switch from a well paying corporate job she isn't crazy about to a dream job that pays significantly less, and we were going to do a bunch of international travel. Now, everything's on hold, she's sticking with her job and life is going to take a 1-3 year hiatus. As a line pilot, there's absolutely nothing I (or you) can do to improve the situation, so we're prepping for every contingency. That's the best we can do.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I know both of you IRL.

You’re both cool, so be cool.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Heyoooo

But I'd still say the same thing in real life.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Flight school is reopening to individual rentals :toot:

But not 1-on-1 instruction yet and I'm out of currency for their policies :eng99:

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Can the instructor just sit in the back and poke you with a stick every time you do something wrong?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hmm, the policy does say that you just have to "fly with an instructor" to remain current, not that any instruction explicitly has to take place...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m pretty sure I’ve had nightmares about being an instructor that has to sit in the back.

No don’t pull the red one that’s the mixture nooooooo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rolo posted:

I’m pretty sure I’ve had nightmares about being an instructor that has to sit in the back.

A friend of mine was at the airfield last year and noticed a newly licensed PPL, just a couple of flights post-checkride, having a lot of trouble starting his engine. It would chug, suddenly catch, roar to life at full power, then rapidly die. This happened six or seven times before my friend walked over to see what was going on. You can guess from the post I'm replying to what the pilot was doing.

he had, incomprehensibly, confused the throttle and mixture, and was trying to start the plane with the throttle all the way in while pumping the mixture back and forth

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Rolo posted:

When I moved to Seattle, I did a couple of backseat flights for area familiarization because the airspace is wild

Power on stalls from the backseat made me incredibly uncomfortable and there was a CFI up front to make sure nothing bad happened

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I fly in a tandem cockpit trainer and it definitely does have its challenges. I spend a lot of my time body blocking the controls and what not and it’s pretty much become second nature. About to hit final approach fix? Hand on the gear handle to prevent the accidental gear over speed. Slow on final? “Check your airspeed, add power.” Nothing happens, nudge the power. By the feeling of my nudge, he’s got a grip of iron on it. Harder nudge. No change. My controls.

The loving worst is trying to trouble shoot their audio panel selections. “Sir, I can’t hear you.” Turn down Comm 1, turn up ICS. “Sir, I can’t hear you, Comm 1 is too loud.”

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Emirates just announced it is early retiring the rest of its A380s. Then I googled a bit and found that KLM and Lufthansa already retired all their 747s, with BA planning to retire all theirs in 2024.

I never got to fly on an A380, but I have been in a ton of 747s. Seems like the end of an era.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 17, 2020

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Okay xaarman sorry, I'll leave the speculation elsewhere.
I've yet to have a chance to ride the 380. Hopefully can do so before they're all parked... the drat thing was just too big. The 777X seems a lot more reasonably sized, but you don't get a nifty shower or a bar, and less first class/business seats which is where the revenue really is. Also given Boeing's track record lately.... there's that.

You got a link on the 380 thing? The only thing I could find is they've said they were planning to retire 46 of them, but they have over 100.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I flew on an Etihad a380 biz class and it was pretty nice

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

I flew on an Etihad a380 biz class and it was pretty nice

Same but Lufthansa.

The v cute German FA kept feeding me Bitburgs and I had no choice but to drink them. :iiam:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Rolo posted:

Repeatable LOL IRL every time I read that last line, thank you.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Pryor on Fire posted:

Emirates just announced it is early retiring the rest of its A380s. Then I googled a bit and found that KLM and Lufthansa already retired all their 747s, with BA planning to retire all theirs in 2024.

I never got to fly on an A380, but I have been in a ton of 747s. Seems like the end of an era.

Did Lufthansa retire or just store them? They were one of the few takers on the -8, all of which would only be a few years old.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Korean biz class on the 380 was real nice. Quietest airplane I've ever been on. Korean FA's were totally confused by me ordering scotch neat though which was interesting.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Bob A Feet posted:

“Sir, I can’t hear you.” Turn down Comm 1, turn up ICS. “Sir, I can’t hear you, Comm 1 is too loud.”

Reminds me of this classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4VCV_z52GU

CBJSprague24 posted:

Did Lufthansa retire or just store them? They were one of the few takers on the -8, all of which would only be a few years old.

Maybe it's just the -400's. Those were getting pretty old anyway and I don't think they had many left. Or maybe they just decided they already had enough widebody fleets and found someone willing to pay good money for their -8's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yes, it appears Lufthansa is only retiring the 400s, they still have newer 747s parked somewhere.