Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what I would want more than a tiling wm is some way to make emacs itself do the window management

there used to be a funky emacs fork that did this but the whole singkethreaded thing was a buzz kill

isn't this exwm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

e-dt posted:

isn't this exwm?

that's very interesting

i may give it a spin

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I just spent the better part of the morning trying to figure out why amdgpu was hosed after logon. It was because of XFWM compositing and the fix was: xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/use_compositing -s "false"

Folks, i'm starting to think 2020 isn't in fact the year of linux on the desktop

please don’t criticise the state of linux on the desktop while using a hobbyist desktop environment without any funding to speak of. xfce doesn’t even depend on systemd lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Soricidus posted:

please don’t criticise the state of linux on the desktop while using a hobbyist desktop environment without any funding to speak of. xfce doesn’t even depend on systemd lol

desktop linux in general is definitely still a hobbyist project

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Soricidus posted:

please dont criticise the state of linux on the desktop while using a hobbyist operating system.

ftfy

Also, yes, there was a checkbox to turn off composting, but you can't click it when the screen is all hosed up, had to run that command from tty.

This is on a 2016 Dell p24t, basically a netbook so i needed a lightweight DE my kids could use.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

haha composting

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hmmm

https://www.infoq.com/news/2020/05/swift-5-3-windows-linux/

swift on linux

i guess it'll be a lot more easy to do cross platform development? good news, i guess?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
not a linux, but 2020 is the year of openbsd on the microsoft surface

https://jcs.org/2020/05/15/surface_go2

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tankakern posted:

hmmm

swift on linux

i guess it'll be a lot more easy to do cross platform development? good news, i guess?

i mean, swift was already on linux, but apple committing to supporting it is really nice. swift is cool and good, fingers crossed it gets a proper cross platform story going.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Tankakern posted:

hmmm

swift on linux

Swift has been supported on Linux for years—we wrote a whole new implementation of Foundation to go with it, and also updated things like libdispatch for Linux too

here’s how I edited some Swift on Linux at my building’s cafe a few years ago

I miss the before-times

mystes
May 31, 2006

eschaton posted:

Swift has been supported on Linux for years—we wrote a whole new implementation of Foundation to go with it, and also updated things like libdispatch for Linux too

I miss the before-times
We all miss the before times, but the rest of us mean "before coronavirus" not "working at IBM or DEC in the 1970s."

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the actual content of that story is mostly that windows is now officially supported

and some additional linux distributions, yes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
for some reason it surprises me that yospos has not one but two apple sdk developers

on some level i expect all of us to have dumb, humiliating jobs like mine

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

heheheh

i for sure didn't know this, i don't think apple has touted this multi platform thing that loudly up until now

larper
Apr 9, 2019

eschaton posted:

I miss the before-times

thats fuckin dope lol

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

eschaton posted:

I miss the before-times

did you haul that gear in there for a laugh or is that cafe a big enough hot spot for grey beards that it's a permanent feature

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Xik posted:

did you haul that gear in there for a laugh or is that cafe a big enough hot spot for grey beards that it's a permanent feature

your statement implies you think greybeards would share a terminal.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I’m just happy the question has to be asked

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
simulated is also an apple sdk developer although he‘s sortof branched over into os development these days

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

there is definitely an uncomfortable amount of Important Software that has yosposters on the team lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

carry on then posted:

there is definitely an uncomfortable amount of Important Software that has yosposters on the team lol

would you rather have shsc posters working on them?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rjmccall posted:

the actual content of that story is mostly that windows is now officially supported

and some additional linux distributions, yes

what's the use case for swift on windows?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

for some reason it surprises me that yospos has not one but two apple sdk developers

wait until you find out how many work on the numbers team

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

akadajet posted:

wait until you find out how many work on the numbers team

it would not surprise me if there were a hundred on the numbers team

that's the kind of pointless, humiliating bullshit job i associate with yospos. you know, the kind of job where you are haunted the certainty that nothing you do will ever help anyone in a meaningful way

(the kind of job i always have)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

what's the use case for swift on windows?

people learning to program, people developing for other platforms, eventually who knows

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

There's always this

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

There's always this

incredibly cursed

pram
Jun 10, 2001

psiox posted:

incredibly cursed

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

psiox posted:

incredibly cursed

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

psiox posted:

incredibly cursed

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

psiox posted:

incredibly cursed

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

There's always this

someone bring the smelling salts im about to faint

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

There's always this

:yeshaha:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

There's always this

I'm sure this gets used a ton haha

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

akadajet posted:

powershell on linux? yeah, probably a fair bit. what with microsoft being the worlds second largest linux hosting vendor, and e.g. the az powershell module is a pretty standard way of interacting with the cloud facilities. also pretty much obligatory for sql server on linux i believe.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
more excellent reasons to never touch any part of the microsoft ecosystem

mystes
May 31, 2006

akadajet posted:

Probably not by percentage of Linux shell market share, but on the other hand, the whole reason they decided to make powershell core 7 be "powershell 7" and officially replace the .net framework version was that they were annoyed that they were putting all this effort into powershell core and yet it was literally getting more use on Linux than windows.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 17, 2020

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

psiox posted:

more excellent reasons to never touch any part of the microsoft ecosystem

nah, that is precisely where powershell makes a lot of sense. i don't use it as it feels kind of unfriendly, but it is high-level, structured and easy to programmatically interact with, so if you want to make your server software interactively manageable in a terminal with some scriptability for free you make a powershell module.

doing the same thing in bash would be hilariously clownshoes stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

nah, that is precisely where powershell makes a lot of sense. i don't use it as it feels kind of unfriendly, but it is high-level, structured and easy to programmatically interact with, so if you want to make your server software interactively manageable in a terminal with some scriptability for free you make a powershell module.

doing the same thing in bash would be hilariously clownshoes stupid.

imo the aws cli makes a lot of sense and at least it's easy to deal with json from a normal-rear end shell that isn't trying to be more than a shell

i've personally written all kinds of glue for this sort of thing in shell script that is readable and maintainable. but i have a feeling that the kinds of people that are writing powershell to manage their cloud resources are prone to all kinds of layering violations and/or being dumbasses in general