Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm still not in the always on display camp. I keep worrying about burn in as well as battery life.

AOD moves around the screen occasionally, enough to counteract burn-in, and the effect on the battery so minor you wouldn't even notice a difference if you turned AOD off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Double tap to wake fam reporting in.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Just use soli to turn on the display when you approach.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I miss the notification LED but am a big always on display fan.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

My Pixel 4 XL unlocks fine while I'm wearing a mask. I wasn't going to say anything before when it was being discussed since I wasn't sure but now I am. Am I the only one?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

My Pixel 4 XL unlocks fine while I'm wearing a mask. I wasn't going to say anything before when it was being discussed since I wasn't sure but now I am. Am I the only one?

It does not unlock for me while wearing a mask. Weird.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

At least it doesn't unlock on my wife's face but yeah, it is weird. It's definitely a little slower, but it unlocks every time. I guess I'm just lucky.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I had mine unlock for me just one time with a cloth mask on.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
If your mask is form fitting enough, I guess that kinda makes sense that it might go CLOSE ENOUGH LESGO, but no phone I’ve used has worked with a mask.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I miss the notification LED but am a big always on display fan.

:hmmyes:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

If your mask is form fitting enough, I guess that kinda makes sense that it might go CLOSE ENOUGH LESGO, but no phone I’ve used has worked with a mask.

Not only with a mask, but it works fine with a mask and sunglasses. Obviously it was trained with no mask and no glasses.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sunglasses aren't really that big of a surprise since the lenses would be transparent to the IR camera for face unlock.

That makes me wonder though if you could make an effective mask out of a cloth that was largely IR transparent. That would solve the problem nicely.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Make a mask out of fish net, I bet that'll work.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

Make a mask out of fish net, I bet that'll work.

Well, for 1/2 of the equation anyways.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hah!

(I guess I should clarify for that one dude who stumbles across my post...it's a joke!)

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

The Pixel 4a might be perfect for that. It's rumored to be released in a week or two.

Thank you. After looking into it more I've discovered it has another mandatory for me (headphone jack) and it seems perfect based upon what's been released so far.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Im totally fine if Google kills the pixel line if we get back the Nexus line. remember how good the Nexus phones were?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They were poo poo honestly, bad cameras, all kinds of weird hardware issues. The only saving grace was stock Android when everyone was going through terrible skin phase and they were cheap (though largely not as cheap as people remember them, especially after accounting for inflation.)

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

The Nexus line peaked with the original Nexus 5.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

They were poo poo honestly, bad cameras, all kinds of weird hardware issues. The only saving grace was stock Android when everyone was going through terrible skin phase and they were cheap (though largely not as cheap as people remember them, especially after accounting for inflation.)

Agreed. The only one I liked was the 6p but it self destructed after a while.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Nexus 4 had a really awesome back glitter. It sounds trashy but it wasn't that bad? hah Though sometimes I felt like it was just windowpane glass on the back.

That phone took a loving beating though. I remember accidentally dropping it down like 20 stairs and hit the sidewalk face down...not even a loving chip.

I do not trust my Pixel 4 XL like that even though the build quality is a lot nicer.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The 6P is still the best phone I've ever owned, camera was great (for the time), perfect size, weight and balance, fingerprint scanner in the correct location.

Of course the battery was poo poo and needed to be replaced twice but I never ran into any of the other hardware issues people talked about (phone still works just fine but needs another battery)

E. I liked the 4 too but the power button broke on mine and it wasn't easy to have replaced. Also the 'chrome' around the screen came off and looked bad after only a year or so.

dissss fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 17, 2020

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

halokiller posted:

Agree. It was one of the first mainstream (I guess) with Qi charging (palm pre lol) and the magnetic alignment on the official charging down was a fantastic feature (again palm pre lol). I really wish that more phones had that feature.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ah yes, the nexus line was riddled with problems and questionable hardware, unlike... the pixel......

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

halokiller posted:

Agreed.

ThermoPhysical posted:

That phone took a loving beating though. I remember accidentally dropping it down like 20 stairs and hit the sidewalk face down...not even a loving chip.

The N4 back was notoriously fragile but the phone was easily reparable. It even had exposed screws to open it up. And a good thing too, because

dissss posted:

E. I liked the 4 too but the power button broke on mine and it wasn't easy to have replaced.

this was common, the battery aging was common, but most of all the the USB port failing was common but that was alright too because

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Agree. It was one of the first mainstream (I guess) with Qi charging (palm pre lol) and the magnetic alignment on the official charging down was a fantastic feature (again palm pre lol). I really wish that more phones had that feature.

it was actually the Nexus 4 that had Qi charging first.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, well the Nexus line has 2 settled class action lawsuits while the Pixel line has only had one.

At least none of those had the capability of taking down a plane.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bull3964 posted:

At least none of those had the capability of taking down a plane.

Google won't put out a mainstream phone unless they step up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nexus One
$529.99 Adjusted: $633.38

Nexus S
$529.99 Adjusted: $623.16

Galaxy Nexus
$399.99 Adjusted: $455.91

Nexus 4
$299.99 Adjusted: $335.00

Nexus 5
$349.99 Adjusted: $384.10

Nexus 6
$649.99 Adjusted: $703.95

Nexus 5x
$379.99 Adjusted: $411.05

Nexus 6p
$499.99 Adjusted: $540.86

Aside from outliers like the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 (and I suppose the 5x, but I don't know if that really qualifies as a phone since it self destructs), the Nexus line has consistently been a $500-$600 device adjusted for inflation. That is an EXCEEDINGLY difficult price-point right now. You can't de-spec too much or the $300-$400 devices will eat your lunch, but you also need to maintain margins. Chinese OEMs can do it, but they are selling to scale in Asia and a lot of them are common designs with different shells. Maybe the argument could be made that Google should just rebrand Xiaomi devices with North American bands and warranties, but that's a very very precarious position to put yourself in right now since your entire product line could be killed by a tweet.

Because really, that's what nexus devices usually were, modified variants of a flagship phone from a specific manufacturer, reducing the R&D cost that went into them.

But that's the thing, the market closed off since then. It's not like LG or HTC devices are getting better reviews than Pixel devices right now. I mean, gently caress, I can't even NAME a current HTC phone (do they even have any right now, I only see 3 listed on their site, none appear to be flagships.) Samsung isn't going to build a phone for google right now since they have their A line for lower priced devices.

The 'a' line of Pixel devices exceeds ANYTHING google did with the Nexus line for a lower pricepoint and they were really only able to get to that place by building and learning from the Pixel 1-3. Be careful if you wish for the P5 to "return to Nexus" because that's going to mean a Pixel 4a with a glass body and a $600 pricetag. It's not going to mean a $500 Galaxy level device from Google.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
I loved my 5x until it stopped working 😭

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Roid666 posted:

I loved my 5x until it stopped working 😭

Same. Unfortunately, that was after like 9 months!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

halokiller posted:

One of the best price to screen ratios at the time, with the then current flagship SoC? Hell yeah.

But the build quality?
gently caress no.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

The internals, sure. The external build quality?

gently caress no.

I'm having a tough time thinking of a Nexus better built except the One and maybe the S and that's only if you consider the Nexus S's broken-by-design GPS to not be a "build quality" facet.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The 5 had a paper thin frame prone to cracking, battery expansion would cause the plastic back snaps to pop, exposing the internals, the proximity sensor could be misaligned causing the screen to turn off when answering a call, it used micro usb (to be fair, everything did back then) and the male connectors wore out all the time.

Didn't the Nexus 6 have the fewest build issues?

I recall the camera needing software updates and the potential of the screen popping out of the frame, but that was it. The biggest complaints were always the size and price.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 17, 2020

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I loved my 5x till it died and my buddys got a 5 in a drawer that still works just fine. Ive got a g8 now though that im pretty fond of.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

The 5 had a paper thin frame prone to cracking, battery expansion would cause the plastic back snaps to pop, exposing the internals, the proximity sensor could be misaligned causing the screen to turn off when answering a call, it used micro usb (to be fair, everything did back then) and the male connectors wore out all the time.

Didn't the Nexus 6 have the fewest build issues?

I recall the camera needing software updates and the potential of the screen popping out of the frame, but that was it. The biggest complaints were always the size and price.

The side frame did crack on all of them, true, I forgot about that. Anything having to do with battery expansion though is like complaining that the house smells funny when it's on fire.

I'm pretty sure every model did have some well-known and widespread problem but the 6 might be the exception. My wife at the time had a 6 but she became the ex-wife before I'd have become aware of any of the 6's flaws. I do know it was the only Nexus with a broken LED controller but the LED wasn't exposed in stock software so it's hardly something to hold against it.

Even the One supposedly had power button problems though mine never had any.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
The code name for 6 was shamu, wasn’t it? Phone was big

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
My Nexus 6 suffered some flash storage failure that resulted in it randomly dumping me into the bootloader. I ran fsck and ended up re-imaging it, and it staggered on for another year after that. My wife's Nexus 5x died of the CPU failure at 7 months old, and LG's warranty replaced it with an LG G5 that everyone hated, on an older version of android than the Nexus 5x it replaced.

In actually current phone chat, my work shipped me a Nokia 2.3 as a low-end test device given that we don't have full access to the device lab during the pandemic, and I cannot believe that a $130 phone is this good. It's a bit too big for my liking, slightly bigger than an iPhone XR or Pixel 3a, but as far as the screen and actually using the thing? The only dealbreaker is that is has no biometrics at all.

This Nokia 2.3 is head and shoulders better than any sub-$200 phone I've used, and I've had an original Moto G, Huawei Honor 7x, and other cheap phone heros.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I loved the 6, and my 5 with the bright red official case.

I do think ivy Ross the VP of hardware design at the goog has done some incredible poo poo during her time, the whole cloth as a covering for things designed for the hand and the home helped soften these devices. For example, Google home looking like a vase, Google home mini, and then Amazon ripping off their aesthetic for the echo dot 3rd gen.

Shame the official cloth case for my pixel 3xl didn't cover the screen deep enough causing me to crack my 2 month old white p3xl when I got it, ho hum.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Current rumor for the Pixel 5 from 9to5Google's Stephen Hall. He's claiming that the Pixel 5 won't have Motion Sense.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Motion-Sense-will-reportedly-not-be-on-Pixel-5_id124688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Legit question, what's the best way to sanitize your phone? Preferably a way that isn't alcohol based so the oleophobic coat doesn't come off.

Are UV sanitizers legit?