Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Had a trap in the underground desert that just dropped a huge block of sand on my head. Couldn't dig out fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I thought journey mode was going to be bunk but it turns out I like collecting things without having to worry about death.

The only hard part is flexing my creative nugget as I try to be biome efficient with my NPCs. There seems to be both a biome preference and a neighbor preference and if I go full biome specific there are going to be a couple neighbor haters.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for suggesting Journey mode because holy poo poo it's exactly what I needed to get back into this. It's so nice not having to worry about loving stone, and wood, and torches, and the little things that you always needed tons of. The rest of the cheaty stuff is easy enough to ignore and just stick to the duplication.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Yeah Journey Mode is perfect. The difficulty slider is great because my friends and I can bump it up so that we get a challenge, and then when I'm playing with my gf I can just turn it back down to normal without having to start a whole new world. The duping helps to cut down on tedium while not overtly feeling like cheating because you still need a good amount of the item before you can dupe it.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

i vomit kittens posted:

Yeah Journey Mode is perfect. The difficulty slider is great because my friends and I can bump it up so that we get a challenge, and then when I'm playing with my gf I can just turn it back down to normal without having to start a whole new world. The duping helps to cut down on tedium while not overtly feeling like cheating because you still need a good amount of the item before you can dupe it.

Also makes the storage and inventory management so much easier. No reason to store anything, just pull it out of the aether whenever you need it.

It makes the game easier in the sense of taking less time, but it's always been the case that once you could get something, basically only time spent prevented you from getting more. Removing that time spent is just awesome IMO.

Especially because it's not like I'm not able to spend infinite time building random nonsense or whatever. Now I just don't find I've run out of something important and have to go dig up more of it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I died so much due to the guide letting zombies in that my house turned into a graveyard biome lmao. I'm not equipped to kill ghosts on Master so I had to do a suicide run to break them all before the ghosts killed me.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Dye trader sells desert pylon. Painted sells jungle and snow.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Elevate your homes when starting them y'all

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Logan 5 posted:

Will hopefully hop in soon (and will probably quickly discover that it is been so long that I don't know how to play anymore and die)

True to form I lasted 5 seconds before dying after joining.

Master mode is no joke, but def had fun playing with some of you. Shame we got so close to taking the eye down.

Also dead man's chests that explode scared the poo poo out of me.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Seems like there are items that don't show up in the duplication menu. For instance, I got a party wagon from the party girl and it's not in my menu after researching and searching it shows nothing.

Having a great time otherwise though. Journey mode is rad.

edit: oh! they show up if you're not in a category.

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 17, 2020

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Eat The Rich posted:

Seems like there are items that don't show up in the duplication menu. For instance, I got a party wagon from the party girl and it's not in my menu after researching and searching it shows nothing.

Having a great time otherwise though. Journey mode is rad.

edit: oh! they show up if you're not in a category.

Some items seem to take a few seconds to show up for some reason. Most of them are instant, but I noticed that when I duped a guitar it didn't show up for a little bit.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

While setting up Terraria with my friends, one of them got really disappointed at hearing we wouldn't be using Journey Mode

Turned out he had misheard and thought I was talking about how we "wouldn't be playing on Jolly Mode"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Spent the afternoon and evening playing no-journey master with 3 friends. The HP scaling on master is absolutely ludicrous and makes bosses really goddamn sloggy - with 4 people on master the King Slime has nearly 10,000 hp, the Eye of Cthulhu has well over 13,000 hp, and the Eater of Worlds was pushing 50k. The latter is pretty ridiculous to deal with when you can't get in to use early piercing weapons because you can't risk being hit more than once or twice because contact with it does nearly 3 digits of damage with full gold armor, and since it has more segments now the vile spit spam becomes Touhou-esque.

I understand it would have been a lot more work, but I wish for Master that they had gone with a Calamity-style Revengeance makeover where instead of just pumping boss numbers up by a bajillion they actually varied up their AI and made them harder in ways besides Number Go Up.

Aside from master mode, all of the other stuff from the update is really, really goddamn cool. The Pylon system is absolutely amazing and building little hamlets all over the world and shuffling my npcs around is a lot more fun and engaging than my normal pattern of building one big castle with like 40 rooms at the start of the game and then never building anything ever again.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 17, 2020

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
Master mode feels very much like it was designed to be played in tandem with journey. And journey just makes multiplayer a lot more enjoyable with a lot of people since you aren't in a constant slog of finding items for everyone. It shifts the emphasis toward combat, exploring, and building, which is way more interesting to me.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

VodeAndreas posted:

I know the NPC's liking other NPCs is randomised (I think?) but is their preferred biome random too or pre-set.

It doesn't seem to be, actually. E.g., wiki says:

quote:

The Zoologist prefers to be in the Forest, and her preferred neighbors are the Witch Doctor and Golfer. The Zoologist does not like to be in the Desert, and she does not like having the Angler or the Arms Dealer as neighbors.

So everything is preset.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Radio posted:

Master mode feels very much like it was designed to be played in tandem with journey. And journey just makes multiplayer a lot more enjoyable with a lot of people since you aren't in a constant slog of finding items for everyone. It shifts the emphasis toward combat, exploring, and building, which is way more interesting to me.

Ehh, I don't really see how journey would affect the master experience beyond cutting some of the farming/prep work in multiplayer. There's still a hard ceiling of player power that is achievable before attempting each boss, especially now that some of the common shortcuts like Reaver Shark hellstone mining got thrown out.

I'll fully agree that journey is pretty much the only sane way to play a multiplayer game with more than a couple of people though, especially if you're going to have people rotating in and out.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

It doesn't seem to be, actually. E.g., wiki says:

So everything is preset.

Yeah I think I've got it sorted now :) - got Forest, Jungle, Desert, Ocean, Underground pylons going.

(Also NPC's preferred biome is in their Bestiary entry)

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Is Worldgen bugged or are these changes intended? I keep having corruption spawn right n the middle of my jungle.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I had trapped chests spoiled for me in this thread, but that did not prepare me for how extra they are.

thank god I had a dangersense potion active when I found one

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I’ve only gen’d one world, but I did discover that I have a dedicated Crimson area as expected but also a huge swath of Crimson in my jungle as well. I’ve never made it very far into hard mode before so I don’t know how bad this will gently caress me later. Is it really bad?

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Elevate your homes when starting them y'all

This was the first lesson Terraria ever taught me. I learned it fast and well.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So when i started playing last night every desert had a oasis and i couldn't find the underground desert, was that a bug that got patched.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

axeil posted:

I tried that and got a world with both Corruption and Crimson based on the sprite on the worlds page. Is that even possible?

Normally no, but I think you could give a character a Clentaminator and a bunch of purple/red solution, hop them into a new world and start spreading whichever biome you didn't pick in world gen.

The special seed also has Moon Lord Legs as vanity pants in random chests, plus Red Potions, which slap you with every common debuff with a 1 hour duration.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
While bestiaries are tied to worlds, the Research & Duplication stuff of Journey mode is tied to characters.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Zoig posted:

So when i started playing last night every desert had a oasis and i couldn't find the underground desert, was that a bug that got patched.

My world doesn't have the giant tunnel that the underground desert used to have; now I have a small tunnel about four blocks high, lined with hardened sand blocks, that zigzags down into the nest. I guess that's more appropriate for ants, but antlions build big funnels to trap their prey so I always thought it was okay before.

I found a weird issue; I bought the fox ears and tail from the zoologist, they're both vanity items, the ears work fine but the tail only shows up if it's in the first accessory slot and not in the vanity slot. So you can only see it if you equip it as a real accessory. Doesn't work in any of the other slots.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Lamare posted:

Seems to be locked behind a password, friend. What difficulty is the world on anyway?

Password is the goon standard lljk, server should be on 1402. Sorry for the slow response, I'm away from home phone managing this.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

StealthArcher posted:

Password is the goon standard lljk, server should be on 1402. Sorry for the slow response, I'm away from home phone managing this.

Tried to rejoin and I got 'not using the same version' (my client is 1.4.0.2), so I guess it's still behind a bit.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

How is playing with a controller? My hands get grumpy after an hour or so of computer use. I'm wondering if I could combat/explore with a controller, and then build with M+KB.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

OH SNAP

Journey mode: goon.nodecraft.gg, g00nz

Personally, I'm starting a wholly new character.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 17, 2020

Lamare
Mar 7, 2014
We're all playing on Munki's server right now since StealthArcher's one is outdated!

Join us all in our new discord, since the OP is a bit outdated aswell : https://discord.gg/aqvXCc

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Lmao. I wandered into the underground desert, saw a thing I'd never seen before - hey, neat, a round cactus. Tried to mine it, and before I could really react it just started rolling and killed my rear end.

I was laughing too much to even be annoyed.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Walrus Pete posted:

Lmao. I wandered into the underground desert, saw a thing I'd never seen before - hey, neat, a round cactus. Tried to mine it, and before I could really react it just started rolling and killed my rear end.

That drat thing killed all three of us at the same time, just rolled us into paste

I freaking love it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Walrus Pete posted:

On master mode this thing does like 300+ damage its absurd.

What's even more absurd is when you hit them, they can roll BACKWARDS AND UPHILL which makes no goddamn sense. I don't go anywhere remotely near them now.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

the desert is extremely deadly now

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You know if there's one thing I don't like about Terraria its how the game has like 50 different crafting stations with extremely narrow uses.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Internet Kraken posted:

You know if there's one thing I don't like about Terraria its how the game has like 50 different crafting stations with extremely narrow uses.

They should just add tabs to the crafting window, instead of using the crafting stations to limit the number of recipes you can access at once.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

I assume Magic Storage will eventually be updated for 1.4. With that, you'll still need to find/craft them but at least they can all be accessed from one spot.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

This isn't a bad point. Something like the goblin engineer table to combine accessories would be nice for craft stations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Saxophone posted:

This isn't a bad point. Something like the goblin engineer table to combine accessories would be nice for craft stations.

Or just literally when you're at any crafting station have it pull up a tabbed, searchable list of craftables from all of your placed stations. Format it like the fabrication menu. Stations placed at worldgen don't count for this list, only player-placed ones.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Black August posted:

really cool spoiler seed - using the seed 5162020 generates a random world with special properties

made a world with this and it is nuts, every ore type, a whole bunch of weird terrain with deeper valleys and stuff I didn't see in my regular 1.4 worlds, first night eye of cthulu, second through 6th night all blood moons etc.

also both crimson and corruption so yay

gave myself some pre-hardmode stuff to speed things along and might stick it out just because of the insanity of it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I didn't get a first night eye or blood moon spam.