Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

spincube posted:

Good idea, but I don't think any cloud storage providers will serve HTML files the way you'd expect - probably for good reasons, I suppose - and arranging webhosting for a single simple travel itinerary would be overkill and then some.

Thinking outside the box a little, I could try exporting the rendered HTML doc as an image and 'hosting' it on loving Imgur or something, hmm

host it on github pages? https://pages.github.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Flipperwaldt posted:

In the past, I've done the same through Nirsoft's ShellExView or ShellMenuView. Don't remember which one applies best to what you're doing. It's not that different from editing the registry directly, but it's got the sortable columns and the easy enable/disable and the filter by type and such.

Those apps are great to clean up junk entries added by programs that you never want to use for that file type, but they can't actually add anything new.

ShellExView is particularly good, tracking down how the shellex stuff works is pretty confusing until you've immersed yourself in registry bullshit for a while.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I might have said this already, but god I love Nirsoft. Everyone should go there and comb through the plethora of nifty utilities available.

true dat, nircmd is amazing

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

spincube posted:

Good idea, but I don't think any cloud storage providers will serve HTML files the way you'd expect - probably for good reasons, I suppose - and arranging webhosting for a single simple travel itinerary would be overkill and then some.

Thinking outside the box a little, I could try exporting the rendered HTML doc as an image and 'hosting' it on loving Imgur or something, hmm

You can serve static html out of S3 buckets with a couple of clicks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

spincube posted:

I'm putting together a travel itinerary for next year; it's heavy on text and images, and it needs to be vieweable on phones. This should be an ideal use case for something like Google Docs or Word Online, but both office suites insist on reflowing the document contents to fit an imaginary sheet of paper. So I'm having to either fight to keep text and images together, or to leave swathes of wasted white space, in this document that's never, ever, ever going to be tangible. Changing the top & bottom margins to '0' still results in a big ugly 'this is where the page ends :downs:' section when the document is viewed.

Is there any way of preventing this, so the document instead appears as one, long, single, continuous document, without page breaks? Open to alternatives if necessary.

I think this is exactly the case for Google Docs’ “publish as webpage” function.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

spincube posted:

There's lots of places that will host HTML for free with only an account and no need to admin anything.

For that matter, you can just use markdown on Github Pages.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

I think this is exactly the case for Google Docs’ “publish as webpage” function.

We have a winner, ladies and goons; I can't believe it's hidden far away from the usual sharing options, but this matches my needs perfectly.

Thanks for the alternatives, everyone, as well. Amazon and Github are slightly above my current skill level, but it'll give me something to learn when this feature inevitably heads to the Google Graveyard :)

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

Is there a way to move a program/functionality from the "Open With..." context submenu into the main right-click context menu?

I have had success using Default Programs Editor to make changes like this

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Factor Mystic posted:

I have had success using Default Programs Editor to make changes like this

Thanks for this. I am finally able to make "Edit" open images in paint.net

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

spincube posted:

We have a winner, ladies and goons; I can't believe it's hidden far away from the usual sharing options, but this matches my needs perfectly.

Thanks for the alternatives, everyone, as well. Amazon and Github are slightly above my current skill level, but it'll give me something to learn when this feature inevitably heads to the Google Graveyard :)

No lie in my head , I was thinking "this goon better go use that shii before Google tanks it for being useful"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Reinstalled Windows for the first time in 5 years, thought I'd try a new image viewer (Photos is obviously trash):

-ACDSee Free
-FastStone Image Viewer
-Honeyview
-JPEGView
-ImageGlass
-IrfanView
-XnView

But no, my piece of poo poo ACDSee 3.1 from 2000 still renders faster than them all when I'm scrolling through a photo of pics. :psyduck: None of them resizes the viewing window properly either.

Unfortunately, ACDSee 3.1 doesn't rotate photos according to EXIF data so I'm going to have to use one of them. :sigh:

e: FastStone seems to be the best option since it can natively play my iPhone videos and loads RAW camera photos without extra work.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 16, 2020

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Something faster then IrfanView? Calling bullshit.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

People seem to be recommending Windows Store versions of applications these days for ease of updating and security. Specifically they say iTunes is cleaner, which makes sense, but they also recommend the Store versions of stuff like Spotify, Netflix, and VLC. :psyduck:

Is this really the best way to manage my applications in 2020? The store version of VLC is noticeably neutered in comparison. I also hate that "apps" now includes full-fledged desktop applications but that war is lost.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Josh Lyman posted:

Reinstalled Windows for the first time in 5 years, thought I'd try a new image viewer (Photos is obviously trash):

-ACDSee Free
-FastStone Image Viewer
-Honeyview
-JPEGView
-ImageGlass
-IrfanView
-XnView

But no, my piece of poo poo ACDSee 3.1 from 2000 still renders faster than them all when I'm scrolling through a photo of pics. :psyduck: None of them resizes the viewing window properly either.

Unfortunately, ACDSee 3.1 doesn't rotate photos according to EXIF data so I'm going to have to use one of them. :sigh:

e: FastStone seems to be the best option since it can natively play my iPhone videos and loads RAW camera photos without extra work.

Try this for RAW/JPEG:

https://www.fastpictureviewer.com/

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Josh Lyman posted:

People seem to be recommending Windows Store versions of applications these days for ease of updating and security. Specifically they say iTunes is cleaner, which makes sense, but they also recommend the Store versions of stuff like Spotify, Netflix, and VLC. :psyduck:

Is this really the best way to manage my applications in 2020? The store version of VLC is noticeably neutered in comparison. I also hate that "apps" now includes full-fledged desktop applications but that war is lost.

i could see recommending the store version of netflix since as i recall its p much the only (theoretical) way to get a full functioning netflix on PC

netflix on PC is Not Good

its probably worse on linux based on the 2 attempts i made to watch it on my laptop

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Statutory Ape posted:

i could see recommending the store version of netflix since as i recall its p much the only (theoretical) way to get a full functioning netflix on PC

netflix on PC is Not Good

its probably worse on linux based on the 2 attempts i made to watch it on my laptop

It works fine on Linux, but is limited to a maximum of 720p.

On PC, you need the Netflix app if you want downloads or UHD. Personally, I don't use it - browser is fine. The Netflix app has a pretty horrendous interface.

Josh Lyman posted:

Apps should be full-fledged desktop applications, weird UWP apps like VLC are worse than useless. I like being able to download something like Spotify, Paint.net or foobar2000 (though they're always slow at updating the Store version with that one) this way; that way, I don't have to worry about any updaters.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

so ill ask this again.

by default i hide my taskbar, left orientation. programs have a tendency of doing things on their own and it will pop the taskbar open until i go and manually disengage whatever idiot process/window popped up in the background so i can regain 10% of my left side of the screen and actually see my browser etc

im about 3 seconds from asking how to just nuke the taskbar entirely because there have been exactly 0 times where it has provided a useful service by popping up on its own

display fusion does not seem to play nicely w this request for some reason. are there any other options pls christ

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

netBuff posted:

Apps should be full-fledged desktop applications, weird UWP apps like VLC are worse than useless. I like being able to download something like Spotify, Paint.net or foobar2000 (though they're always slow at updating the Store version with that one) this way; that way, I don't have to worry about any updaters.
If I understand correctly, you're saying I should consider the Microsoft Store version for "full desktop" programs like Spotify, but I should stick with the standalone desktop version for "utility" programs like VLC. Do I have that right?

If so, I'm surprised you use the Store version of foobar. The last time I tried it out was probably a decade ago but I'd consider it in the same category as VLC.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 17, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

If I understand correctly, you're saying I should consider the Microsoft Store version for "full desktop" programs like Spotify, but I should stick with the standalone desktop version for "utility" programs like VLC. Do I have that right?

If so, I'm surprised you use the Store version of foobar. The last time I tried it out was probably a decade ago but I'd consider it in the same category as VLC.
I believe that has been possible to deliver unsandboxed desktop applications through the Microsoft Store for several years now, so netBuff may simply be saying that the Microsoft Store is convenient as long as as the developers have chosen to make the Microsoft Store versions be the full desktop applications rather than limited UWP versions, not that you should only download certain categories of applications from the Microsoft Store.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

if it’s a completely self-contained app like spotify or something i’ll get it from the store, but anything that i need to associate file types with (like vlc or irfanview) i get from fosshub or something because as far as i know windows store apps do not exist on your PC as executables that you can, for example, select as the default program for opening a file type

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Will be moot when Microsoft abandons UWP app store entirely

mystes
May 31, 2006

Last Chance posted:

Will be moot when Microsoft abandons UWP app store entirely
It's not the "UWP app store" and they're highly unlikely to abandon the store because there is a pretty big need for an (optional) centralized way to distribute programs and a standard package format in general.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

oops yeah I meant the UWP dev platform, it's too early these BIRDS OUTSIDE MY WINDOWS WAKE ME UP AT 5:30 Every god drat morning

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I forgot the Windows Store even existed until just now.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it's really bad lol. I can see them revisiting or redoing it entirely at some point. maybe rebranding the Xbox Store or something

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
They already use the Windows Store app as a backend of sorts for the Xbox Game Pass for PC app, so you're probably not far off.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Last Chance posted:

oops yeah I meant the UWP dev platform, it's too early these BIRDS OUTSIDE MY WINDOWS WAKE ME UP AT 5:30 Every god drat morning
They've abandoned "UWP" as its own thing but they're still basically treating the WinRT apis as the way forward for windows development and I can't see that changing unless Microsoft has some major reorganization or something.

I guess it remains to be seen whether there will be more uptake of WinRT now that it's not tied to the store and you can use it incrementally without losing access to the normal win32 apis. I'm guessing that there will be a bit but it's probably too late to try to get anyone to care about developing desktop windows applications again anyway.

Similarly, the store does fill a need so there might be more uptake now that using it doesn't prevent you from making fully featured desktop applications, but it is a little late.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Lyman posted:

There are two versions of foobar on the MS store, the old Windows Phone mobile application and the full-fledged desktop version: https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9PDJ8X9SPF2K

Weedle posted:

if it’s a completely self-contained app like spotify or something i’ll get it from the store, but anything that i need to associate file types with (like vlc or irfanview) i get from fosshub or something because as far as i know windows store apps do not exist on your PC as executables that you can, for example, select as the default program for opening a file type

Store apps can be set as default applications.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Josh Lyman posted:

People seem to be recommending Windows Store versions of applications these days for ease of updating and security.

Two comments on those reasons:

1. Security - the security that they're talking about is that maybe an app has hidden malware and supposedly MS inspects every app to make sure it is ok. And yet Apple, Google, and everyone else who runs a centralized app store have been totally unable to keep out malicious apps. If the MS store doesn't have any malware on it, IMO that's because not enough people use the MS store to make it worth writing high-effort malware for. Not because MS has invented perfect security.

If you know the apps you're downloading then you're gonna be fine 99.999% of the time. (The other .001% is when a badguy compromises the server or a hosting account and puts malware in a trusted app.) The store is good for grandma asking "how do I get a crosswords on this?" and not being redirected to something that installs bonzi buddy.

2. Ease of updates - this is totally true. But if your app isn't something that touches the internet, why the obsession with updating? If an app doesn't have a good built-in automatic updating system (like browsers or steam) then it probably doesn't need 24/7 updating. Stuff like VLC and Foobar, you can relax and wait 6 months or a year before you go manually update them.

I have programs that haven't had updates for a decade, they haven't gone bad. Software doesn't have a shelf life.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah, I wouldn't put much trust in the "security" part either in the sense of the store protecting you from malicious apps, especially since the apps aren't necessarily sandboxed at all now.

On the other hand, updates are pretty important though. I'm not sure I agree about waiting 6 months for VLC updates because VLC is a program that will typically be exposed to files downloaded off the internet, so it's precisely the sort of program you would want seamless automatic updates for.

Klyith posted:

I have programs that haven't had updates for a decade, they haven't gone bad. Software doesn't have a shelf life.
This is ok for some type of programs, but not for anything that might be exposed to malicious files.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 17, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Klyith posted:

It kinda does. I own a lot of old software that plain will not run on modern systems anymore for a variety of reasons. When you add to that the risk of security vulnerabilities in things like document formats (it's entirely possible to embed malware in PDF files) then this can be a very dangerous attitude to take.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I could totally understand the Microsoft Store being intended to replace Ninite as a source for your stuff post-install. If they hadn't bundled Win10 with compulsory non-uninstallable crap, and the Office suite had been available on the thing from day one, it might have gotten some traction as something other than an annoying source of shovelware.

One of my irritations with the appstore model is that you're unable to gently caress around and install stuff without it being permanently attached to your 'account' forevermore, which then leads to 'what's installed / what's not', 'what to keep, what's garbage' clutter. It's maybe irrational, and OK I can 'hide' that abandonware from 2015, but it's there and it annoys me that I can't tell it to gently caress off. Whereas I can just, delete stuff from a 'flatten & reinstall' thumbstick

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cardiovorax posted:

When you add to that the risk of security vulnerabilities in things like document formats (it's entirely possible to embed malware in PDF files) then this can be a very dangerous attitude to take.

I'm not saying keep your version of adobe acrobat from 2012. But most of the file types that are at highest vulnerability for attacks are used by programs that can and by default will auto-update themselves. You don't need the MS store for that.

My copy of metapad, last updated 2011, is not an attack target.

(I gotta say getting rid of acrobat was one of the best things that chrome did for the world.)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

at this rate the next best Microsoft store will be a sign with an arrow in windows pointing to the Google for Microsoft portal

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

What im saying is Microsoft has an actual 0% chance of putting an attractive way to buy anything in windows.

because any time Microsoft wants you to do anything they take the Goliath approach and club it into their customers mercilessly

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Another vote for relaxing about having updated software at all times. "Oh, I haven't checked for updates for this application, lemme check real quick," works pretty well for things that don't update themselves.

For other things:
  • they have their own update checker (VLC is one)
  • I use ninite
  • It's an application that works well with PortableApps which updates itself
  • I don't care

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I use choco to keep apps updated and it does a pretty good job. A fair chunk of software isn't supported by it, but that which is is force updated whenever I run a bat file.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Klyith posted:

I'm not saying keep your version of adobe acrobat from 2012. But most of the file types that are at highest vulnerability for attacks are used by programs that can and by default will auto-update themselves. You don't need the MS store for that.

My copy of metapad, last updated 2011, is not an attack target.

(I gotta say getting rid of acrobat was one of the best things that chrome did for the world.)
Yeah, just saying. Not having the latest version of some notepad app at all times won't make your computer blow up, but it's probably not good advice as a blanket statement.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

-ACDSee Free
-FastStone Image Viewer
-Honeyview
-JPEGView
-ImageGlass
-IrfanView
-XnView

Honeyview can resize to image size, but it's totally not the default and spread over three options. Open the viewer, right click and select 'view image -> original size', then right click again and select configuration, then view -> enable 'saved fixed zoom in/out state' then miscellaneous -> enable 'adjust window size to image size'.

Way back when I first switched, I couldn't tell the difference in speed between Honeyview and ACDsee, but that's totally driven by my perception so :shrug:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Candy Crush, Farmville, Spotify, and Sticky Notes automatically installed yesterday. In the past, I would've reinstalled again to make sure that poo poo wasn't cluttering my registry, but my understanding is that Store apps uninstall cleanly because they're sandboxed..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Josh Lyman posted:

Candy Crush, Farmville, Spotify, and Sticky Notes automatically installed yesterday. In the past, I would've reinstalled again to make sure that poo poo wasn't cluttering my registry, but my understanding is that Store apps uninstall cleanly because they're sandboxed..

Everything but sticky notes is only a shortcut to the store, not even a real installed program.

You probably took the big "version 2004" May update, the advertisement junk like candy crush re-appears during the big updates unless you flip the switch to disable them.