Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
FFXV has this amazing roadtrip vibe though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

khy posted:

Welp, that right there kills it for me. If It was just FF7 combat + Open World + Other characters I could get into it a bit because drat if the combat in this game isn't fun as hell.

Really just imagine if FF7's combat wasn't willing to actually commit to any of its design goals and also was completely unable to bring itself to ever actually give you a game over, no matter how poorly you played.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

cock hero flux posted:

Really just imagine if FF7's combat wasn't willing to actually commit to any of its design goals and also was completely unable to bring itself to ever actually give you a game over, no matter how poorly you played.

I mean yes technically you can sandbag and pull out a victory in like 10 minutes by just spamming phoenix downs and potions. Or restart and engage with the mechanics to win fights quickly.

It still makes me chuckle because when ff15 first came out some of the thread was saying the game is super hard while some others were like lol just spam items forever. Very few people bothered to use grenades or warp strikes or anything really.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 17, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't really think FFXV and 7R's combat systems are all that similar aside from both being real-time.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If you fight it on hard, that will definitely be true. Since you can’t use items.

Oddly enough I’m having very little issue with that part of hard. It is difficult to figure out how much MP is safe to use on trash fights and still be able to do the bosses, especially in chapters with multiple boss fights (not looking forward to the last chapters)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

FFXV has this amazing roadtrip vibe though.

People say that and then it's always followed by someone else saying "that only lasts about halfway then the rest of the game is an unfinished mess with important plot points scuttled off into DLC" so it's hard to judge if I'd like it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oddly enough I’m having very little issue with that part of hard. It is difficult to figure out how much MP is safe to use on trash fights and still be able to do the bosses, especially in chapters with multiple boss fights (not looking forward to the last chapters)

I managed to get through Chapter 17 by using Tifa as my spellcaster for Swordipede, and alternating between spells and Soul Drain with Aerith for Jenova. Cloud doesn't really need MP to deal with Rufus, and as long as you have 100+ MP on Aerith for Arsenal, you should be able to get by.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Going back to FFXV after FF7R is incredibly hard. It's a worse version of the system in every way but mobility.

TBH it's hard to think of anything FFXV does better. It's blatantly unfinished post-patches and pre-patches FF7R probably told more of a story than it did.

It also runs into the problem of having extremely boring worldbuilding except for the ideas behind the summon-gods. The actual world is boring as sin with almost no creativity to it and there's like 1.5 NPCs worth remembering who together probably have fewer lines than some of the sidequest givers in FF7R

It's not a horrible unplayable game by any means but unless you really really want to experience a road trip with some anime boys it has nothing else going for it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Going back to FFXV after FF7R is incredibly hard. It's a worse version of the system in every way but mobility.

I don't even think the mobility is good. Like, conceptually, being able to zip around like that would be fun. But the implementation is very poor. You just lock on to arbitrary spots and teleport straight to them, or teleport forward. It's clunky, the camera does not react well to it, and point-warping is an extreme crutch(even without using potions to give yourself 99+ lives for like, 2000 gil, the ability to just instantly teleport to safety and heal yourself for free makes the game very easy).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

People say that and then it's always followed by someone else saying "that only lasts about halfway then the rest of the game is an unfinished mess with important plot points scuttled off into DLC" so it's hard to judge if I'd like it.

I mean that's all true but the development was a disaster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Final_Fantasy_XV

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

TBH it's hard to think of anything FFXV does better.

Link strikes in combat
Being able to explore and gently caress around until the last third of the game - which also works thematically because that's when poo poo hits the fan
Having 4 party members for most of the game
Fishing! :v:

FF15 is good

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The exploring is pretty bad tbh.

FF7 remake part 2 should totally have fishing though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Link strikes in combat
Being able to explore and gently caress around until the last third of the game - which also works thematically because that's when poo poo hits the fan
Having 4 party members for most of the game
Fishing! :v:

FF15 is good

Link strikes are really not very interesting as executed.
The exploration is 90% "completely empty areas/just watching ignis drive you down the road."
4 characters isn't super interesting unless you have the add-on that lets you actually control them and even then it's The Noct Show.
I can't argue with fishing I guess. I suspect FF7R won't avoid that.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The exploring is pretty bad tbh.

FF7 remake part 2 should totally have fishing though.

The devs should take a page from BOF4 and have the party catch monsters they have to fight.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Anyone notice how it never rained in OG FFVII, not even once?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dell_Zincht posted:

There's a plate above you for most of the story tbf

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Link strikes are really not very interesting as executed.
The exploration is 90% "completely empty areas/just watching ignis drive you down the road."
4 characters isn't super interesting unless you have the add-on that lets you actually control them and even then it's The Noct Show.
I can't argue with fishing I guess. I suspect FF7R won't avoid that.

Link strikes plays into the more mobile nature of the combat along with positioning being more important, as opposed to ff7r. Also the free dlc lets you play all 4 chars.
I mean yes if you don't explore there isn't any exploration. You got me there.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Link strikes plays into the more mobile nature of the combat along with positioning being more important, as opposed to ff7r. Also the free dlc lets you play all 4 chars.
I mean yes if you don't explore there isn't any exploration. You got me there.

What is there to find in the world? Genuine question, from my memory it was just fields and enemies. Maybe the odd NPC.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

stev posted:

What is there to find in the world? Genuine question, from my memory it was just fields and enemies. Maybe the odd NPC.

Loot(gear and consumables), most of the royal arms as only a few are mandatory, optional dungeons / tombs, sidequests and most importantly: more fishing spots :v:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I mean that's all true but the development was a disaster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Final_Fantasy_XV

Jesus that wiki does make it sound like a nightmare. Even beyond that, though, I couldn't get into it for reasons like the characters all having aggressively dogshit, forgettable designs and also just generally not being interesting. Nomura has honestly had more misses than hits for me regarding character design. It almost feels like 7 was a fluke. The cast in 7 still feels based in and reflective of some kind of consistent internal game reality, and everything after 7 becomes increasingly laden with the terrible mall goth weeb poo poo aesthetic he's loving obsessed with.

Like you look at the characters in 7 and you can see what they're supposed to be. Oh, he's a soldier? Yeah makes sense, he looks soldier-y. This guy's a hotheaded, mildly suicidal ecoterrorist? Well, yeah, sure, he's dressed like Bane from Dark Knight Rises and replaced his arm with a whole rear end machine gun. Martial arts bartender has fighting gloves, elbow pads, and kicking boots, but also a flirty athleisure-wear sort of getup. Magic hippy flower girl looks like a sweetheart with a crystal collection. Etc etc

You look at the cast of XV and you're like "These characters are... all pleather goths, I guess? They only wear clothes off Ali Express or something?"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SlimGoodbody posted:

You look at the cast of XV and you're like "These characters are... all pleather goths, I guess? They only wear clothes off Ali Express or something?"

Roen actually, there was a big deal done between Square and the Fashion label.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SlimGoodbody posted:

Jesus that wiki does make it sound like a nightmare. Even beyond that, though, I couldn't get into it for reasons like the characters all having aggressively dogshit, forgettable designs and also just generally not being interesting. Nomura has honestly had more misses than hits for me regarding character design. It almost feels like 7 was a fluke. The cast in 7 still feels based in and reflective of some kind of consistent internal game reality, and everything after 7 becomes increasingly laden with the terrible mall goth weeb poo poo aesthetic he's loving obsessed with.

Like you look at the characters in 7 and you can see what they're supposed to be. Oh, he's a soldier? Yeah makes sense, he looks soldier-y. This guy's a hotheaded, mildly suicidal ecoterrorist? Well, yeah, sure, he's dressed like Bane from Dark Knight Rises and replaced his arm with a whole rear end machine gun. Martial arts bartender has fighting gloves, elbow pads, and kicking boots, but also a flirty athleisure-wear sort of getup. Magic hippy flower girl looks like a sweetheart with a crystal collection. Etc etc

At least he didn’t cover them with belts and zippers.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

stev posted:

There's a plate above you for most of the story tbf

You mean the first 6 hours, and then about an hour towards the end

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dell_Zincht posted:

You mean the first 6 hours, and then about an hour towards the end

Oh I missed the OG part.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

XV really needs a cap on item usage, but even then, the combat is pretty much as rewarding as you want it to be. Attempting to mash through every encounter is a bit like only using attack in a traditional Final Fantasy, except possibly even more tedious and soul destroying. Whereas if you actually engage with the combat system then it's fast and fluid and feels loving cool when you airstep back just as an Iron Giant goes in to grab you and warp back in to break an appendage. FFVII has way more depth for sure, but gently caress it, I'm also a big fan of simple mechanics that you can hone to perfection.

Also I really feel like people overstate the faults with the final third. There are three large dungeons, with a couple of five minute sections on the train where you can hoover up items or just skip to the next section, with a bunch of combat encounters and dialogue sprinkled between. And you can jump back into the open world at any time; I appreciated that it let them give a sense of finality to the end game, instead of 'Meteor's about to hit the planet! But go race chocobos for a bit, there's no sense in rushing.'

Also I thought it was really funny that the core cast have matching coolboy attire and fancy faux-Latin names, while the first NPCs you meet are a bright yellow mechanic and a guy in a t-shirt called Dave. No-one else in the game looks like them at all.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Nooooo thread pull up, pull up, don't go down into the FF15 hole

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Gologle posted:

Nooooo thread pull up, pull up, don't go down into the FF15 hole

This is your hole, thread

It was made for you

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

anakha posted:

The devs should take a page from BOF4 and have the party catch monsters they have to fight.

What's BOF4?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh are we talking about how good FF15 is?

Because it is.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gonna install FF15 on my new PC when it arrives because it's nice looking if nothing else - shame the PS4 version is on lowest settings.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Moola posted:

What's BOF4?

BOF4 DEEZ NUTZ! AYYYY GOT 'EM BOYS!

Breath of Fire 4

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Steam workshop can fix the generic looking main characters problem.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Dell_Zincht posted:

what about Meteorain

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

BOF4 DEEZ NUTZ! AYYYY GOT 'EM BOYS!

:hai:

Steam workshop can fix the generic looking main characters problem.

I was gonna post about how the demo for FFXV killed any interest I had in it. But seeing its got mod support on PC kinda has me intrigued

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

drat it now this thread has me thinking about how good Breath of Fire is and sad about how there will never be another one

I even love Dragon Quarter, that game whips rear end

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Harrow posted:

drat it now this thread has me thinking about how good Breath of Fire is and sad about how there will never be another one

I even love Dragon Quarter, that game whips rear end

If you turn your head sideways and squint you can pretend Dragon’s Dogma is Breath of Fire. :unsmith:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Chapter 18 is tremendous rear end. Can't save, enter the menu and dying takes you back before you enter the portal. Whisper Bahamut just nukes everyone to red and finishes them off one by one while I scramble to gain enough ATB for a heal.

This is what I get for trying to make Barrett as tanky as possible and have everyone else low-defence with Lifesaver soaking up damage.

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 17, 2020

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bedshaped posted:

Chapter 18 is tremendous rear end. Can't save, enter the menu and dying takes you back before you enter the portal. Whisper Bahamut just nukes everyone to red and finishes them off one by one while I scramble to gain enough ATB for a heal.

This is what I get for trying to make Barrett as tanky as possible and have everyone else low-defence with Lifesaver soaking up damage.

Maybe give Barrett heal and auto cure?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Spacebump posted:

He doesn't do much in the last chapter unless you're a prick to both Tifa and Aerith IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Spacebump posted:

Yeah, he runs off and I'm left with Tifa and Aerith.

The separate forms of Whisper are easy enough, it's just the massive jump in lethality of Whisper Bahamut and the fact that dying takes you back to the start, losing at least 20 minutes of gameplay progress before you even fight him.