Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Tetsuo II contains what is probably the most obscure Nine Inch Nails track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Coffee And Pie posted:

You, sir, are an insane person.

You might think so, but we're getting into the basic mechanisms of how ghost stories 'work'.

Like, in the example I like to use, Nightmare On Elm Street presents us with a dialectic: The character Rod is accused of murdering his girlfriend, and all evidence points to him being the one who did it. However, Nancy is convinced that Rod is innocent and it was actually the evil ghost of a local child molester. So, who's right? Nancy, or the cops?

The truth is: both and neither. The point of Nightmare On Elm Street is that the ghost is a metaphor for Rod's PTSD from having been molested. It's an alien influence over Rod's mind, which caused him to snap and enter this dissociative state. The ghost doesn't exist, but persists as a lingering influence over people.

This is true of every ghost story.

After all: why doesn't a given omnipotent, vengeful ghost just give everyone simultaneous fatal aneurysms in the first five seconds of the plot, and spare us having to watch all these movies?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Nightmare on elm Street, my favorite ghost story

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Lately I’ve gotten interested in jiangshi movies. So far I’ve watched Mr. Vampire and Spooky Encounters, what others are worth watching?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

aware of dog posted:

Lately I’ve gotten interested in jiangshi movies. So far I’ve watched Mr. Vampire and Spooky Encounters, what others are worth watching?

Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

COOL CORN posted:

Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires

A Hammer/Shaw Brothers coproduction? I’m so here for it

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

After all: why doesn't a given omnipotent, vengeful ghost just give everyone simultaneous fatal aneurysms in the first five seconds of the plot, and spare us having to watch all these movies?

I've wondered this before, but films often give explicit reasons for this other than that the movie needs to happen. In the case of Unfriended, the film leads each character towards the confession of their sins before receiving divine punishment. It's an EC comics morality tale that needs the criminals to face their crimes. Replace the ghost with God and the film would be no different.

In the case of NOES, in addition to being another vehicle of divine punishment, we're shown through text and imagery that Freddy takes pleasure in his work. Killing them instantly would be no fun. By the time we get to 3, it's well established that he isn't omniscient, omnipotent, or even omnipresent. This is why he can only pursue one victim at a time. In the dreamstate, he often has to take time to locate his victims, and not just due to prolonging their torment, because by his absence he is often able to let them pre-game and strategize before he shows up. That his strength is not absolute, but rather measured only in proportion to the amount of fear he causes, is canonized in the first film and reestablished in half of sequels.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

aware of dog posted:

You sure can! A bit bummed that the third Tetsuo movie isn’t included but still an absolute must-have.

totally forgot this was coming out, just preordered it from DiabolikDVD. I’ve only seen the first Tetsuo so I’m excited for the rest. Bullet Ballet and A Snake of June have been on my list to watch for years

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I just watched The Wretched and while I think it had a few cool ideas and scenes ultimately they just couldn’t fit together in a way that worked. the twist at the clímax that he had a brother this whole time didn’t feel earned, and it felt dumb to expect the audience to feel tension over his disappearance 10 seconds after he’s introduced. I feel like they could have just used Lily’s already known disappearance as the motivator to spring into action. It felt like they wanted a big gotcha reveal but the movie was worse for it. Also the implication that Mallory was the Wretch at the end felt like it came out of nowhere too.

The music and mood also seemed like it couldn’t make up its mind. We’d go from dark and gritty modern horror with ambient A24 style music, to a Spielberg style orchestra over a teenaged fairy tail movie. It felt like it just couldn’t decide what it was and commit.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
The entire point of Unfriended is that it's a revenge film based on the concept of cyberbullying. The hacker theory is not supported by any shred of evidence aside from things you infer and twist so hard they become balloon animals. The kills are all totally impractical to impossible to pull off by humans aside from MAYBE the dude with the blender but even that one is clearly wrong.

Hell, even if we go with the logic of hackers, Dark Web shows us that the group was a bunch of evil fucks. You're telling me that in between randomly torturing and murdering innocent people for no reason they also try to be avenging angels? Was the first movie a court mandated community service gig or something?

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

married but discreet posted:

I'm sad to report that Monstrum, the 16th century Korean monster movie on Shudder, is not very good, and also not very bad unfortunately. The inconsistent stylistic execution is extremely grating and kept taking me right out of the movie.
It's not a huge waste of time either, so whatever.

Yyyyeah... it's got some fun moments, but it is ALL over the place. There's gory monster attacks, then courtly intrigue, then wacky family hijinks, then Badass Action, then political class deconstruction... It felt a bit like a collection of scenes from separate movies spliced together. There are some things that are kinda set up, but never have any payoff. I feel like better filmmakers would've done all they could to be clever about that, to make the most of the convoluted plot.

It *did* remind me a bit of Brotherhood of the Wolf, and just made me want to go watch that again. My other thought was that it felt a bit like Terry Gilliam's Jabberwocky. Since I have both of those on DVD, I now know what I'm doing this weekend.

Also, I will nth that the Waxwork movies are a lot of fun. I rewatched the first one a while ago, and it triggered a memory from my childhood when I first saw it. I recall there was a BIG deal made about it being unrated because it was so gory. Like, Fangoria had a big writeup, and my cousin's video store actually had the unrated version (which is what I saw). I haven't seen that version in decades, but now it looks like Vestron has put it in a combo package! For $13, I don't think I can say no.

https://www.amazon.com/Waxworks-Compilation-Blu-ray-Zach-Galligan/dp/B01JH4G5LC

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I also watched Monstrum. I have to agree that in the end it really did make me want to go rewatch Brotherhood of the Wolf(good thing I bought it on blu ray this past year!), but doesn't quite stand on it's own as something to recommend.

Monster movies and creature features are like my favorite thing, and if you're like me then Monstrum is definitely worth a watch. The monster has plenty of screentime, for better or worse, and it's a pretty violent and gory movie. Throw in that it's a period piece and yea I'd say it's unique and good enough to check out if like me, this is one of your favorite subgenres. But if you said you wanted to just rewatch The Host or Brotherhood of the Wolf instead, I wouldn't really argue with you.

The monster is fully CG and of course that comes with all the usual pros and cons, so be aware of that.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

How comedic is Come to Daddy? I’m not real huge on horror comedies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

sponges posted:

How comedic is Come to Daddy? I’m not real huge on horror comedies.

It's definitely a dark comedy but leaning towards the dark side of the equation. It's not like it's Tucker and Dale or something like that.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Tonally it reminds me of a Richard Bates Jr thing, like Excision. Super dark comedy for sure.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Oh man Excision was such a loving good movie i wish there was more. That ending :o

more movies like that?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Origami Dali posted:

I've wondered this before, but films often give explicit reasons for this other than that the movie needs to happen. In the case of Unfriended, the film leads each character towards the confession of their sins before receiving divine punishment. It's an EC comics morality tale that needs the criminals to face their crimes. Replace the ghost with God and the film would be no different.

In the case of NOES, in addition to being another vehicle of divine punishment, we're shown through text and imagery that Freddy takes pleasure in his work. Killing them instantly would be no fun. By the time we get to 3, it's well established that he isn't omniscient, omnipotent, or even omnipresent. This is why he can only pursue one victim at a time. In the dreamstate, he often has to take time to locate his victims, and not just due to prolonging their torment, because by his absence he is often able to let them pre-game and strategize before he shows up. That his strength is not absolute, but rather measured only in proportion to the amount of fear he causes, is canonized in the first film and reestablished in half of sequels.

Ok, right, so let's break down what you're talking about :

Freddy Krueger is a ghostlike interdimensional lich with demonic powers a ghost that feeds on "fear energy". In order for him to do that, the premise of the film is that all the citizens of Springwood, Ohio (and, in fact, all the people in the world) each passively generate a massive amount of psychic energy. This psychic energy powers a telepathically-networked collective virtual reality known as "the dream world." The Nancy character's explanation for the real-world phenomenon of "dreaming" is that, when you fall asleep, you are literally logging on to an organic Second Life and interacting with your neighbours.

At the same time, Nancy believes that, with enough practice and concentration, she can convert her body's organic psychic energy into matter and thereby manifest objects from this VR. She can even materialize virtual characters this way, as in TRON. If you do a bit of quick math here, Nancy's body must constantly, naturally produce energy equivalent to multiple thermonuclear explosions going off. This is true of all humans, evidently.

So, when Freddy Krueger (who is effectively an AI) attacks someone, he is actually parasitically draining psychic energy from that person's psycho-nuclear core and using his own mass-energy conversion powers to do stuff like manipulate their bedsheets into a noose, morph their telephone into a spooky telephone, or disintegrate Johnny Depp.

Suffice it to say that this is extremely stupid. Like, just complete horseshit. But it makes for a pretty good story. Why?

Because: the concept of "a monster that eats fear" is a pretty effective metaphor for insanity. It even helps Nancy to make sense of her friends' recent murder/suicide, because the factual version of events is unsatisfactory for her. How could Rod kill himself if he knew he was innocent? Well, what if he didn't kill himself? What if Rod simply generated too much "sadness energy", which attracted an AI monster from the collective VR that highjacked Rod's natural mass-energy conversion to manipulate his bedsheets into a noose with which to strangle him? And the results are indistinguishable from suicide! It's the perfect crime!

Now, my assertion is simply that Nancy is wrong about how brains work, and this belief in sadness-energy and mind-monsters is her effort to articulate the concept of trauma while slowly driving herself mad with sleep-deprivation. Like, it's not just that the film's wacky scenario is an elaborate metaphor for our reality, but that Nancy herself is being metaphorical and is not really a reliable narrator.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 16, 2020

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Anyone else doing the Chattanooga virtual film festival? Some good horror in it, I’ve seen Koko di Koko da and The Antenna and they were solid. The Beach House looks interesting and there’s going to be a panel with Benson And Moorhead.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

flashy_mcflash posted:

Tonally it reminds me of a Richard Bates Jr thing, like Excision. Super dark comedy for sure.
I randomly grabbed a movie called Trash Fire from a dollar store DVD bin a few months ago, and it wasn't until now that I made the connection of it being the same director as Excision, one of my all time favorite horror movies.

Trash Fire isn't quite up there for me but I ended up watching it twice. It feels really unique and like a product of a very interesting writer/director, I love movies like that. The actors just own their snappy dialogue and borderline camp scenarios and it's awesome. Annalynne McCord nails all the scenes she's in too. I'm going to dig up the other two he's done now. Anyone seen Tone Deaf or Suburban Gothic?

I also found Trollhunter (already seen) Howl (2015, which I'd never seen and was really solid), and a couple straight to video found-footage-ish Blu-ray stinkers called Hangman (2015) and The Gallows(2015). 3 out of 5 ain't bad.

Oh Gonjiam Haunted Asylum is another DVD I snagged, I think I heard talk of it here long ago, but have yet to watch it. Found footage doesn't do much for me anymore.

e: been gone from this thread a while, I'm so glad SuperMechaGodzilla is still around :allears:

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 16, 2020

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Metaphors are bourgeois.

Everything is literal to the text of the film.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

FreudianSlippers posted:

Metaphors are bourgeois.

this but unironically

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

FreudianSlippers posted:

Metaphors are bourgeois.

It's not a rejection of metaphor but, rather, a practice of of taking them seriously. If you're given a fantasy movie, well, whose fantasy is it?

Like, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that Craven never actually believed that you can literally materialize entities from your dreams by thinking hard enough. If that were possible, we would all have pet dinosaurs.

What we are shown, then, are Nancy's fantasies of her boyfriend disintegrating and so-on. This imagery is way more useful for understanding Nancy's psychology than it is for understanding how to do mystic 3-D printing without a printer. The latter approach is how you end up with incredibly detailed, useless Wikipedias cataloguing all the X-Men by power level.

And, to repeat, every ghost story is like this: there's always a huge gulf between what is objectively happening and what the characters believe, because the whole point of intermixing the two is to reach the truth of the situation.

Remember, the basic complaint that provoked this discussion was that Unfriended's "ghost" doesn't actually do anything supernatural onscreen, yet those simple tricks and nonsense have an overwhelming psychological impact on the characters.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

smg have u ever seen rob zombies movies what do u think

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Kvlt! posted:

smg have u ever seen rob zombies movies what do u think

Halloween 1 is his masterpiece, but I'm the guy who considers House of 1000 Corpses and Halloween 1 to be at least on par with their sequels.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Who’s fantasy are we watching in The Others

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ghosts are real, hackers are fiction.

What is objectively happening is what is depicted on screen. Anything that's not is fan fiction

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 16, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This stuff used to annoy me but the last few years I've really gained a lot of perspective on how this kind of "crazy rear end ideas born out of nothing but the weird parameters set in one person's mind" stuff can go in really worse, more destructive directions.

So shine on to all the crazy death of author film school analysis diamonds.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I randomly grabbed a movie called Trash Fire from a dollar store DVD bin a few months ago, and it wasn't until now that I made the connection of it being the same director as Excision, one of my all time favorite horror movies.

Trash Fire isn't quite up there for me but I ended up watching it twice. It feels really unique and like a product of a very interesting writer/director, I love movies like that. The actors just own their snappy dialogue and borderline camp scenarios and it's awesome. Annalynne McCord nails all the scenes she's in too. I'm going to dig up the other two he's done now. Anyone seen Tone Deaf or Suburban Gothic?

I've seen all his stuff and unfortunately nothing ever really touched Excision, though Trash Fire came pretty close for me. I straight up hated Suburban Gothic and didn't really feel one way or the other about Tone Deaf. YMMV on the latter.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

id watch a Mike Flanagan movie if it starred AnnaLynne McCord tbh

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Mike Flanagan has a legit horror hog, proven when he made Doctor Sleep.

Kvlt! has gone so far in his persecution of posers he looped around and has become the Poserfinder General.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

No he’s the most unimaginative pile of bland in the business. It’s hilarious how he has the sack to keep making these 10 hour beige and blue adaptations of books you can read in a quarter of that time and people are like wow he made me realize haunting of hill house is really about...being sad...drat...

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Mike Flanagan has a legit horror hog, proven when he made Doctor Sleep.

Kvlt! has gone so far in his persecution of posers he looped around and has become the Poserfinder General.

lmao at this poser who thinks making doctor sleep is even close to being a legit horror director

also I AM the Poserfinder General. That would mean I hunt posers.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

TheBizzness posted:

Who’s fantasy are we watching in The Others

The Others is straightforwardly metafictional. Being a story within a story, the bulk of the film is about Nicole Kidman going crazy in a house she believes to be haunted - but then it's revealed that Kidman's story is being told by a blind medium to her clients. This story has a particularly strong impact on the wife of the new family.

So, we have two different fantasies that intermittently overlap: Kidman's fantasy, and the fantasy of the woman who moved into the house. Kidman's story then effectively ends with the realization that she is a fictional character, while the other woman is inspired to change her lifestyle and be closer with her son.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 17, 2020

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

No he’s the most unimaginative pile of bland in the business. It’s hilarious how he has the sack to keep making these 10 hour beige and blue adaptations of books you can read in a quarter of that time and people are like wow he made me realize haunting of hill house is really about...being sad...drat...
Counterpoint: Hush, Haunting of Hill House, and Gerald's Game are all good even if they all have flaws. Like I get the flaws people can prod into his work like things going on too long (I like the ending of Gerald's Game) or how everything has this nebulous vibe that can only be described as 2002 in his movies. But the hate for him is weird.

Ironically, I think Absentia's really bad, and was baffled when people were initially impressed with him.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

lmao at this poser who thinks making doctor sleep is even close to being a legit horror director

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Deep Discount has Maniac and Zombie 4K available for pre-order at $26 a pop.

reviews are great for them if anyone has the means to do so.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Maniac-4K-Blu-ray/265463/#Review
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Zombie-4K-Blu-ray/264455/#Review

also the next two horror films to get the 4K treatment from Blue Underground

dorium fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 17, 2020

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

so years ago I watched the Del Toro / Hopkins WOLFMAN movie with some friends who hated it. I remember it as shlocky b grade fun but will I be disappointed if I rewatch it?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

alf_pogs posted:

so years ago I watched the Del Toro / Hopkins WOLFMAN movie with some friends who hated it. I remember it as shlocky b grade fun but will I be disappointed if I rewatch it?

Nope, it's good. Be sure to watch the director's cut.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Great kids flick too

https://youtu.be/foF6K-n6b7w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

But in the Good Omens sense, where you think "... and tomorrow we can hide, and the posers can try to find us".

I watched an episode and a half of Cursed Movies on Shudder, and Jesus loving Christ it's terrible. Five or ten minutes of regurgitating the most famous facts about the movie, followed by 15 minutes of some "real life" twat bigging himself up.