Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dovi posted:

How rifftrax do it? In pmi they tell you to press play when X logo fades and then tell you to pause in the track itself. I've never had an issue with it but maybe I'm just not picky and haven't noticed it being off lol

RiffTrax is the same, where they tell you to start the track when the logo fades out, but I'm picky and I get annoyed if I realize there's a delay. I tried syncing Independence Day by burning the RiffTrax to a CD and playing it on the stereo while the DVD was playing on the TV, and I couldn't get it synced, and only made it worse by trying to pause one to let the other catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bonaventure posted:

what’s worse is that Mike Nelson has appeared in a couple projects alongside Richard “Lowtax” Kyanka, the founder of somethingawful.com— home to the toxic troll army that accidentally memed Donald Trump into the White House

They shittalk SA on 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back all the time. It's great.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dovi posted:

How rifftrax do it? In pmi they tell you to press play when X logo fades and then tell you to pause in the track itself. I've never had an issue with it but maybe I'm just not picky and haven't noticed it being off lol

Rifftrax has their stuff timed so you should be able to just start it the same time as you hit play on the movie. Then they have a robot voice copy a few of the first lines as a test that you're synced.

They used to have a player that synced it automatically on computer but that seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I enjoy when a creator goes behind the curtain or breaks down their thought process/editing methods/mentality on their channel. Alpharad has been pretty good about this, he occasionally puts out videos answering all sorts of questions as well as just "hey let's get real for a minute here, gonna turn off the Hey It's Alpharad Welcome To My Channel voice" videos. It's been fascinating watching him absolutely skyrocket in popularity and how he's handled it. imo fairly well all things considered, but it's also clearly getting to him in some ways.

He made a video playing through Super Mario 2, and I watched it and thought "this seems incredibly over-edited and hyperactive almost for the sake of it". His videos tend to have jump edits fairly often, but generally not THAT often. He also seemed a bit too..."on".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxYX2_j9nMw&hd=1

but then he puts out this video where he talks about how his depression manifests and how he expunges it through his video content, be it the hyper editing like the mario 2 video, or scripting stuff for other videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwxqWIudSn0&hd=1

I like when a youtuber is willing to just sit down and talk about "the process" and their mindset during it rather than keep the facade up at all times. And also I like when youtubers flat out state like, to think of them as an entertainer and not as a friend, because that leads to an ugly mindset that unfortunately some content creators abuse for profit, and is a statement a depressing amount of people need to hear

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I enjoy when a creator goes behind the curtain or breaks down their thought process/editing methods/mentality on their channel. Alpharad has been pretty good about this, he occasionally puts out videos answering all sorts of questions as well as just "hey let's get real for a minute here, gonna turn off the Hey It's Alpharad Welcome To My Channel voice" videos. It's been fascinating watching him absolutely skyrocket in popularity and how he's handled it. imo fairly well all things considered, but it's also clearly getting to him in some ways.

He made a video playing through Super Mario 2, and I watched it and thought "this seems incredibly over-edited and hyperactive almost for the sake of it". His videos tend to have jump edits fairly often, but generally not THAT often. He also seemed a bit too..."on".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxYX2_j9nMw&hd=1

but then he puts out this video where he talks about how his depression manifests and how he expunges it through his video content, be it the hyper editing like the mario 2 video, or scripting stuff for other videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwxqWIudSn0&hd=1

I like when a youtuber is willing to just sit down and talk about "the process" and their mindset during it rather than keep the facade up at all times. And also I like when youtubers flat out state like, to think of them as an entertainer and not as a friend, because that leads to an ugly mindset that unfortunately some content creators abuse for profit, and is a statement a depressing amount of people need to hear

I think it's genuinely creepy and disturbing how many kids hang on the words of pewdiepie; I've had younger family members try to explain how the "kill all Jews" and "heated gamer moments" were all taken out of context and how he's actually a nice guy and it feels kinda cultish to me

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the less I think about pewdiepie the better

dude is a gateway for nazi indoctrination

meanwhile alpharad is like "hey wow I have a huge following and even my jokes on public twitter can have massive ramifications if they're directed at anyone since my words can send swarms of people at things, I should really remember the power I wield!" like a normal loving human being

though maybe this thread wouldn't be nearly as active if more content creators were so self-aware and considerate of others. :v:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: woops, wrong thread.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 17, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ash Crimson posted:

I think it's genuinely creepy and disturbing how many kids hang on the words of pewdiepie; I've had younger family members try to explain how the "kill all Jews" and "heated gamer moments" were all taken out of context and how he's actually a nice guy and it feels kinda cultish to me

Hey, you always feel like you should apologize for your friends. Pewdiepie is probably a bigger presence in their lives than most people, and they love him. Also maybe your younger relatives are being raised in a racist home or a white supremacist national culture (only sure about one of these).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

Wait, what's wrong with that joke? It sounds like they're making fun of gamergate. (Which is good lol)

My favorite Gamergate RiffTrax joke was calling Lucas from The Wizard 'Gamergate patient zero.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Double post: Allison Pregler gets around to the Star Trek Voyager episode 'Tuvix' and it's one of the more :psyduck: episodes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVY63nx74_U&feature=youtu.be

Trying to make Neelix a thing certainly was a thing. I wonder if there's a good book to be had about Voyager's production.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

LMAO Wrong thread dude! This is the internet critic discussion thread! Not the idiots on social media thread!

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

To quote from the greatest sitcom of all time, Bottom...

"And isn't it funny how you only read that sort of thing in a BRITISH newspaper?"

Edit: Wow reading the article I am actually loving enraged

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 17, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVY63nx74_U

A video about one of the times Janeway murdered a sentient being begging for his life.

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Rifftrax has their stuff timed so you should be able to just start it the same time as you hit play on the movie. Then they have a robot voice copy a few of the first lines as a test that you're synced.

They used to have a player that synced it automatically on computer but that seems to have fallen by the wayside.
PMI usually talk for a sec before and use visual cues to tell you when to start it to avoid different logos messing up the synch. In the Harry Potter ones they read a chapter of the Harry Potter 9/11 fanfic before each movie :allears:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/Robbydude/status/1261545479562686466

As someone who saw the original video: No, knowing the context doesn't make this any better.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Mokinokaro posted:

Is there any variation based on PAL, NTSC or SECAM encoding?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kunster posted:

https://twitter.com/Robbydude/status/1261545479562686466

As someone who saw the original video: No, knowing the context doesn't make this any better.

is it about like super hosed up deadly poo poo?

also i watched snow white a month ago. its pretty loving weird.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Elephants on Parade is probably the best-remembered example, but most of the earlier Disney movies had a moderate amount of weird in them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

Elephants on Parade is probably the best-remembered example, but most of the earlier Disney movies had a moderate amount of weird in them.

Those loving dancing skeletons

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Vagabundo posted:

Is there any variation based on PAL, NTSC or SECAM encoding?
They have separate PAL and NTSC tracks, or at least they used to. I haven't bought a "Just the Jokes" riff since The Force Awakens so I don't know for sure if they still offer those, but I would assume they do just in case someone's still using 50Hz DVDs instead of Blu-Rays or streaming.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

As a person who works in the retail industry and has to tell these fuckheads to put a god drat mask on and worries that the person will return not with a mask, but either a gun or a posse, cause thats just what you do these days

I don't like this person.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Skippy McPants posted:

i just found it interesting about snow white is since its the first animated feature film, its a mix of "tech demo" and a merry melodies reel. like 2/3 of the movie is sight gags and the rest of it is "look we can make realistic looking people now sorta. also outside the compilation movies, is lilo and stitch the only disney 2d animated not based on existing property? because so far pretty much every movie until then is based on something.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 17, 2020

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Skippy McPants posted:

pink elephants on parade fuckin terrified me as a kid

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i just found it interesting about snow white is since its the first animated feature film, its a mix of "tech demo" and a merry melodies reel. like 2/3 of the movie is sight gags and the rest of it is "look we can make realistic looking people now sorta. also outside the compilation movies, is lilo and stitch the only disney 2d animated not based on existing property? because so far pretty much every movie until then is based on something.
Lilo & Stitch is directly preceded by Emperor's New Groove and Atlantis, both original property 2D animations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Technically Atlantis was Plato’s idea but thankfully his culture had no concept of intellectual property.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Ghostlight posted:

Lilo & Stitch is directly preceded by Emperor's New Groove and Atlantis, both original property 2D animations.

Well, not quite original https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2001-05-15/2

There was also an infamous side by side character comparison list that I've not been able to find.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Dovi posted:

I love PMI if you sign up for their patreon you get all their stuff for only 15 usd. The final destination ones are my fav their rollercoaster journey marathoning them is great.

:haw:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
mother's basement talks at length about the best harem romcom in a good long while, Bakarina(or the less great name, "My Next Life As a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!"). A tale in which a girl, in typical isekai fashion, dies tragically and reincarnates in the body of someone in another world, in this case the childhood body of her favorite dating game's antagonist who dies or gets exiled in every single ending. Knowing this, she tries everything she can throughout her childhood to avoid her fate and prepare for it if it still happens, and in doing so manages to steal the hearts of every single male or female character from the original game, the protagonist, her cohorts, the main love interests, everyone. And it actually works, because she's too stupid to realize they love her but also too lovable for them to be offended by her obliviousness to their interest in her.

he also goes on about how Bakarina does the harem concept right, while so, so, so so so so so so many have done it wrong, which is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rekj5TqbmM&hd=1

the entirety of the first major arc which the manga has covered at this point is great and cute and funny and all that, but I hear past that the light novel kinda treads water to force a continuation of the story due to the incredible success of the series, which is unfortunate but understandable.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Dawgstar posted:

Double post: Allison Pregler gets around to the Star Trek Voyager episode 'Tuvix' and it's one of the more :psyduck: episodes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVY63nx74_U&feature=youtu.be

Trying to make Neelix a thing certainly was a thing. I wonder if there's a good book to be had about Voyager's production.

Always felt that this episode rushed the ending, they should've explored this further, I get that Janeway killed Tuvix to save two other crewmembers and that it was a simple version of the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few but the way they executed it felt too cold.

Neelix was certainly an annoying character, did anyone actually like him back in the day?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Does anyone know if there are any video series that explain basic principles of CGI effects for film, I often here about all sorts of concepts and sometimes watch stuff like corridor crew videos where they go into what works and what doesn't etc, but was looking for something that more explains key terms etc and the workflow process etc. It's not for any practical learning, I have no intention of creating anything, just for curiosity and interest.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is it about like super hosed up deadly poo poo?

The top most 15 deadly things, yes. Still, the rantsona + how the story was retold and so on looks almost AI-generated.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kamrat posted:

Always felt that this episode rushed the ending, they should've explored this further, I get that Janeway killed Tuvix to save two other crewmembers and that it was a simple version of the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few but the way they executed it felt too cold.

Neelix was certainly an annoying character, did anyone actually like him back in the day?

I genuinely think the first Voyager character people would admit to liking was Seven of Nine. That show is kind of a wasteland of unused potential and badly underwritten characters and not unlike Enterprise even when it 'got good' it was really just 'kinda okay for Star Trek.' They recycled a lot of Next Generation scripts and it shows in stuff like the Kaizon being 'what if Klingons but kinda low tech.'

Naturally as a GIRL talked about Star Trek, people had a normal one.

https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1261872549169897475

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dawgstar posted:

I genuinely think the first Voyager character people would admit to liking was Seven of Nine.
Or the Doctor.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Yeah the Doctor was my favorite, I also liked Harry Kim for some inexplicable reason

I was never that big of a fan of Seven of Nine, mostly because it felt like she was only there for sex-appeal, I know she had other qualities but her ridiculous jump-suit among other things kind of ruins her character for me.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I liked Neelix. In my defence I was nine and didn’t have the mental maturity to recognize the creepy, abusive relationship he had with the child-woman, and I had awful taste.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I liked Janeway the way she was written in certain episodes, if Voyager had been more consistent she might have been my favourite captain.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The core concept of Janeway as a more emotional and compassionate leader was always a little problematic because it was the classic 'well of course a LADY captain would be like that' but it was an interesting take compared to Picard's diplomatic pragmatism and Kirk's space cowboy act to have a captain more based around protecting her crew and far away from Starfleet command's standards and all allowing her to be more emotion based than otherwise.

It's just the writers didn't know what any of that meant and half the time it was just 'bitches be crazy, but in space'

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

the entirety of the first major arc which the manga has covered at this point is great and cute and funny and all that, but I hear past that the light novel kinda treads water to force a continuation of the story due to the incredible success of the series, which is unfortunate but understandable.

It's more that the first two LNs tell a very solid overall story. Book 2 works very well as a proper ending (where it looks like the anime will end) but as you say they continued.

It's not all bad news though. Books 3 and 4 stumble a bit (though the MCs antics remain great) but things do get back on track after that. I do hope the author has an ending in mind and doesn't stretch it out TOO much but at the same time they don't seem forced to take the same breakneck release schedule as a lot of light novels do.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 17, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sexpig by night posted:

The core concept of Janeway as a more emotional and compassionate leader

Ahahahaahahahaha.

Pfftthahahahaha.

Noooooooo.

She is Diktator Janeway, iron-fisted ruler of Voyager. There are no questions, there are only orders. If you have questions, she has sole fiat on Voyager's self-distruct protocol unlike every other Starfleet vessel and facility inexistence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ahahahaahahahaha.

Pfftthahahahaha.

Noooooooo.

She is Diktator Janeway, iron-fisted ruler of Voyager. There are no questions, there are only orders. If you have questions, she has sole fiat on Voyager's self-distruct protocol unlike every other Starfleet vessel and facility inexistence.

More emotional and compassionate leader than who? A living buzzsaw? She was captain after Sisko who was the dad to an entire space station and spent half the show giving emotional speeches.