Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

We are going to see Sophia X Katarina claw its way either to #1 or #2 after this episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Oooh there's some real veterans in there.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Pyrotoad posted:

I hope to find some time today to watch it... I'm really excited for this!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

*Be careful, there are many traps"

Catarina: :f5:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I also like having a gay couple #1.

Are they, though? ARE THEY?!

(Not that Maria isn't putting in the effort :v:)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Huh, dub's pretty good, thanks autoplay

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Are they, though? ARE THEY?!

(Not that Maria isn't putting in the effort :v:)

Of course they're a couple. A couple of great friends!

(Our heroine's incredible density means that, while love is still war, it's more like the wars in kaiju movies, where all conventional weapons simply bounce off. )

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pyrotoad posted:

Reminder that the Fruits Basket 2019 reimagining is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkT_j-46fWE

Also, while at first I was skeptic, Takahiro Sakurai has been phenomenal as the hilariously self-centered Ayame.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So that’s pretty much 2 episodes of filler. While it’s not the greatest content, I still enjoy it and look forward to the main plot.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

So no word on Serious Dick yet?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

jimmydalad posted:

So that’s pretty much 2 episodes of filler. While it’s not the greatest content, I still enjoy it and look forward to the main plot.

I take it most of ruin adventure is anime original, what about Sophia's dream and the spooky dark mist haunting Catarina?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Electric Phantasm posted:

I take it most of ruin adventure is anime original, what about Sophia's dream and the spooky dark mist haunting Catarina?

I don't remember the ruin adventure being in the manga. I also don't remember Sophia being implied to be the reincarnation of Catarina's friend. I think that's also anime original. The spooky dark mist is relevant to an upcoming story arc.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't remember the ruin adventure being in the manga. I also don't remember Sophia being implied to be the reincarnation of Catarina's friend. I think that's also anime original. The spooky dark mist is relevant to an upcoming story arc.

Its implied somewhere since it was in the wiki long before the episode came out

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Sophia's dream was in an extra/interlude WN chapter or something like that. I definitely remember reading it.

I'm glad it made it into the anime because it brings some closure for Catarina's poor friend. :qq:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its implied somewhere since it was in the wiki long before the episode came out

Maybe it comes up in the alternative story where Caterina only gets her previous life's memories when she's about to go to magic school? I really don't remember it being in the mainline manga.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nitrousoxide posted:

Maybe it comes up in the alternative story where Caterina only gets her previous life's memories when she's about to go to magic school? I really don't remember it being in the mainline manga.

I'm quite sure it came up in the WN/LN.

Mechadestroyer
Jul 22, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's in the main manga too, it just comes near the end of the next storyline, I assume that they're changing up some of the story since they moved it so far forward.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

I'm quite sure it came up in the WN/LN.

Ah.

Looking though the manga, I guess there's also a reference to that story on chapter 18 page 22. But it's not fleshed out at all so I didn't catch on to that.

Anime only watchers shouldn't jump into that page as that's right in the middle of the upcoming arc.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's in the LNs but not one translated yet afaik.

I think it's from volume 6 which is a collection of short character stories and is coming out next month, iirc

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sophia having a link to Acchan is definitely part of the LN

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

It's in the LNs but not one translated yet afaik.

I think it's from volume 6 which is a collection of short character stories and is coming out next month, iirc

It's part of the original story, the first 2 volumes.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
They def moved the Sophia/Acchan reveal up. It was mostly just hinted at in the manga by this point, but they beat you over the head with it here.

Also the whole test adventure bit wasn't in the manga at all. I suppose they just figured they couldn't stretch out the plot to fill the remaining episodes. Unless this was something from the LN.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Keith, you get points for being one of the two people in this class at magic school to think of using magic to help explore the dungeon, but come on: there are traps, and you can summon disposable minions. Get them to stomp on every floor tile in the place while you stay at a safe distance.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rubellavator posted:

It's part of the original story, the first 2 volumes.

Is it? I haven't finished book 2 so I guess I'm not there yet.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I love how Catarina looked like an absolute goblin in her past life.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mr. Fowl posted:

I love how Catarina looked like an absolute goblin in her past life.

She looks like she comes from a long line of eroge protagonists. Her secret is revealed!

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Watched this episode after learning about the death of someone I kind of knew but not really. Dealing with the aftermath of your usual Isekai inciting action was a fair bit more of a bummer in that context. I hope Sophia lived a satisfying life before joining her BFF in the next world.

Though, I couldn't help but find the last sequence amusing in a terrible kind of way.

"Oh no, I'm going to fall off this cliff and die! Sophia, save yourself!"

"No, I'm not going to lose you again!"

"Yippee, Nicol saved us both! Now who wants to eat these weirdly colored mushrooms with me?"

"Ah, yes, this seems like a cause worth laying down my life for."

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Supersonic Shine posted:

Watched this episode after learning about the death of someone I kind of knew but not really. Dealing with the aftermath of your usual Isekai inciting action was a fair bit more of a bummer in that context. I hope Sophia lived a satisfying life before joining her BFF in the next world.

Though, I couldn't help but find the last sequence amusing in a terrible kind of way.

"Oh no, I'm going to fall off this cliff and die! Sophia, save yourself!"

"No, I'm not going to lose you again!"

"Yippee, Nicol saved us both! Now who wants to eat these weirdly colored mushrooms with me?"

"Ah, yes, this seems like a cause worth laying down my life for."

Nicol didn't save them. He arrived with the rest of them after the wind brought them up.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Oh. Then maybe it was the shadow demon? I think I know what its deal is, but I'm not wholly certain of the little things, since I read the manga a long time ago.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Supersonic Shine posted:

Oh. Then maybe it was the shadow demon? I think I know what its deal is, but I'm not wholly certain of the little things, since I read the manga a long time ago.

The anime seems to be doing more to tie the villain of the next arc into the story, instead of just having it come up as a bit of a surprise like the manga.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The life of Katarina's previous friend shows up in Vol 2 of the LN, right after Katarina arrives at the Academy. The manga pushes back the reveal of the connection between Sophia and Atsuko till later. The Ruins test is all anime original as far as I know, unless it's some future short story after Vol 6, but I assume it's mostly to hint at the antagonist of the next arc.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 17, 2020

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
We were at dangerous levels of Bakarina this episode.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Alan's laugh shows he guessed exactly how this was going to end.

EDIT: And as a Dungeon Meshi fan I'm kinda annoyed we never got to learn whether the mushrooms were toxic or not.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 17, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It is kind of funny how they've completely glossed over the fact the exam was supposed to be a competition where the team that found the crystal graduated.

But I suppose once things got rolling everyone ended up on Team Catarina as expected.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

the dub is good

this is coming from a subs snob

it's the perfect reason to watch the series again

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

EDIT: And as a Dungeon Meshi fan I'm kinda annoyed we never got to learn whether the mushrooms were toxic or not.
What does your heart tells you?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I wonder if Acchan also died in an accident shortly after Caterina died, or if it was a suicide. She was born in this world at the same time as Caterina, and doesn't seem to have any memories of her being older and grown up, which would seem to imply she died shortly after her friend.

Seems weird that she would also be reborn at the same time in this world if she lived for decades after Caterina, or that all of her intervening memories would have had so little import to her as to not make it over, leaving her with just the memories of her 13 year old self.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

I wonder if Acchan also died in an accident shortly after Caterina died, or if it was a suicide. She was born in this world at the same time as Caterina, and doesn't seem to have any memories of her being older and grown up, which would seem to imply she died shortly after her friend.

Seems weird that she would also be reborn at the same time in this world if she lived for decades after Caterina, or that all of her intervening memories would have had so little import to her as to not make it over, leaving her with just the memories of her 13 year old self.

She doesn't really seem to have picked up her memories as Acchan, at least not to the extent Catarina did. She just talks about having bad dreams or a sense of deja vu. Of course, this could just be her trying not to sound like a madwoman if she talks about living inside a video game. But with Catarina's subtlety and tact about her situation, there's no way she would recognise her as having been through the same thing if that's actually what Sophia remembers.

And there's nothing to say the timelines of this world and their old one are concurrent. No reason Atsuko couldn't have died in her eighties and had her soul sent to be born around the same time as Catarina's to get some closure with her teenage friend/crush/whatever.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I know this is a silly thing to think about because the series has no interest in providing any answers, but I can’t help but wonder what exactly this world is in relation to the game. I mean, was the creator of Fortune Lover a psychic who (perhaps unconsciously) foresaw the future of another world and wrote about it? Or did a mischievous deity deliberately make a world like a game to put those two girls’ souls into? Before this episode I was wondering whether Katarina was actually in a coma and dreaming about being in the game, but with Atsuko also being there that’s evidently not the case.

Anyway, it was fun seeing the characters actually using magic this episode. It’s easy to forget sometimes that they’re supposed to be at Hogwarts. It’d be hilarious if it turned out that Katarina isn’t really bad at it like she thinks, and she’s just been doing it wrong this whole time like focusing on the wrong element or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Bakeneko posted:

I know this is a silly thing to think about because the series has no interest in providing any answers, but I can’t help but wonder what exactly this world is in relation to the game. I mean, was the creator of Fortune Lover a psychic who (perhaps unconsciously) foresaw the future of another world and wrote about it? Or did a mischievous deity deliberately make a world like a game to put those two girls’ souls into? Before this episode I was wondering whether Katarina was actually in a coma and dreaming about being in the game, but with Atsuko also being there that’s evidently not the case.

Anyway, it was fun seeing the characters actually using magic this episode. It’s easy to forget sometimes that they’re supposed to be at Hogwarts. It’d be hilarious if it turned out that Katarina isn’t really bad at it like she thinks, and she’s just been doing it wrong this whole time like focusing on the wrong element or something.

Katarina absolutely is worse at magic than she "should" be because she has no understanding how it works and thinks farming will increase her magic power.