Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

live action series have more prepared in advance im pretty sure, so it depends on how long this goes on for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

live action series have more prepared in advance im pretty sure, so it depends on how long this goes on for

They might just take them off-air just to keep everything in sync.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kind of curious how this is going to effect next years season as depending on how long this hiatus lasts it’s probably going to gently caress with the usual scheduling quite a bit.

I imagine Miracle Leap has already been completed by this point though so I wouldn’t be surprised if Toei eventually releases the movie in some capacity (even if it’s online only or straight to DVD/BD).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if Healin Good gets its episode count cut because of this (like around 44-46 episodes rather than the usual 49).

It’s also possible the show might get retooled a little when it does finally come back like what happened to Suite after the Tohoku disaster.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Probably but I'm not sure how you can get around the central concept of the show being the Precure healing the planet from invading germs this season

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

have them beat the germs in episode 26 and then rapidly introduce new antagonists

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Yeah, this is a very very bad timing. I'm kinda worried about the future of this season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

blossommirage posted:

Yeah, this is a very very bad timing. I'm kinda worried about the future of this season.

Oh I have no doubt the show will be finished at some point, but there’s a good chance it might be a lot shorter now and/or begin to deviate from the writer’s original plan. However, if the series maintains its current level of quality it might still be ok.

Then again, a hiatus like this to my knowledge has never happened before in the history of the franchise (or the SHT block in general for that matter), we’ll just have to see how this goes.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 21, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I could see things going either way, depending on the logistics of merchandise production- they might make this series shorter to try to stick to a similar yearly production cycle, or they might be able to push it back, so that the next season starts later than February, and then use that as their new seasonal starting point for the foreseeable future.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

Then again, a hiatus like this to my knowledge has never happened before in the history of the franchise (or the SHT block in general for that matter), we’ll just have to see how this goes.

There's a lot of poo poo happening right now that's never happened before, to be fair. Regardless of whatever occurs from this point, what's already happened is definitely the kinda thing that'd make a show alter its plot significantly. I can see them figuring out what they have left in the budget/air time and working out how to make the general story they wanted to tell within the new consciousness around this stuff.

Also, this might sound dumb, but I feel like the seasonal story beats coincide with the seasons too much for me to want them to shift it for Healin' Good to get its full run. The summertime sixth ranger and my penultimate arc at Christmas time make PreCure feel like PreCure to me, you know?

Also also, if through some weird poo poo worst case sceario Healin' Good gets fully cancelled, I'm kinda interested in how the All Stars movies would handle it. Would the three from this show be there? Would whatever future one(s) that were planned leaked be there? Would they give Hugtto an extra year to be in All Stars movies if Healin' Goods can't make it? I have no clue, none of this matters, but I can't stop thinking about it.

blossommirage fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 21, 2020

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I suspect we'll see a transition to work for home that will allow the series to be finished though not at a full run in the worse case, though yeah they'll probably retool somethings. Even if the generals stop infecting and just make monsters of the week

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I highly doubt Healin Good is going to be cancelled outright but they’re definitely going have to adjust a few things depending on how long this lasts.

I’m also curious as to what they’re going to do with the crossover movie, production on it has likely already been completed by now so I’d think they’d release it in some format even if they can’t do so theatrically. Also depending on how long this hiatus lasts I’m also curious now if there’s even going to BE a main movie for this series later on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's so much merch already made, in the planning stages, in pre-production, etc, plus the crossover movie already existing, that i cant see them cancelling healin' good, yeah. there's too much financial stake in it. what they will wind up doing depends on how long this all goes on.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Oh yeah, cancellation seems super loving unlikely. It just sucks that this season might get severely hurt because the plot became real.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I could definitely see a villain goal shift from "infect the earth" to just "create monsters to defeat the Precure," that'd be the easiest way to do it I think.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Twelve by Pies posted:

I could definitely see a villain goal shift from "infect the earth" to just "create monsters to defeat the Precure," that'd be the easiest way to do it I think.

I actually noticed that the villains goals mean that they don't want to fight the Precure. Like it would be ideal for them to create a Megabjogen and for them to just not show up. As the uninterrupted megabjogen can grow in power and spawn more generals.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

One thing I noticed when they were talking about how there weren't any pictures of Nodoka from when she was hospitalized - doesn't the big bad kind of mirror what Nodoka was like when she was hospitalized? Can' do anything, dependant on other people, probably pretty miserable. He isn't really framed as 'terrifying shadowy presence,' he's kinda implied to be pathetic. The only one of the generals who seems that loyal to him is the one who has a crush on him, the others practically make fun of him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ll be interested to see what the Byogen King ends up being like once he inevitably gets his body back later (as mentioned, the dialogue seems to indicate that he was actually sort of pathetic and only Shindoine really seems to respect him). I’m also curious how the show is going to possibly redeem a bunch of living avatars of disease.

I’m also kind of curious about our new friend Batetemoda. Despite literally being just born he mentions that he’s been watching the others for a while (granted that’s likely the Byogen seed talking and not the nutria it possessed but it’s still an interesting statement nonetheless). He’s also a lot more competent than he lets on so I’m interested to see what they ultimately do with him.

His statement in the most recent episode also makes me think we might be seeing more Byogen generals pop up in the future as well seeing as the MOTW can apparently just create them if left unchecked for too long.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 21, 2020

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

MonsterEnvy posted:

I actually noticed that the villains goals mean that they don't want to fight the Precure. Like it would be ideal for them to create a Megabjogen and for them to just not show up. As the uninterrupted megabjogen can grow in power and spawn more generals.

Well true, but then the easiest way to do that would be to make a Pathogerm on the other side of the planet. :v:

And Batetemoda is a bit different in that he actually does think fighting is fun and seems to be much more interested in directly taking on the Precure. If we really do get that shift it would be pretty simple for the original trio to get healed or defeated, and have more generals like him that only care about defeating the Precure. While their main goal is definitely to infect the earth and they don't actually want to fight, it might not be long before King Byogen just goes "Okay obviously the Precure show up and defeat our Pathogerms so we're going to have to defeat them before we can actually infect the earth" and just shift to full on assaults on the Precure themselves.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And in non Precure related news:

https://nerdbot.com/2020/04/21/sailor-moon-will-be-free-to-watch-on-youtube-starting-april-24th/

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

In expected news Precure movie delayed with no new date scheduled

https://twitter.com/precure_movie/status/1254515607589933057

I expect it'll probably be released to Home Video at this point or maybe even used to fill some of the time slot as Toei shifts to work from home

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I mean, the movie is likely already finished by this point so they’re bound to release it in some format eventually.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Toei also released this new trailer for the movie, not sure if it gives any information as to when/how Miracle Leap will be released though:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=yecy148cQws

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Because I feel like it, here’s some early designs of the Yes 5 team:

Also a video showing off these and a few other design sketches:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=L1CrdVoTPgY

At one point in development the team was apparently going to have bikes/scooters of some kind:

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 6, 2020

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Short haired Karen feels like a completely different character o.o

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I sort of hope they revisit the idea of giving the Precure personal vehicles one day actually. The closest thing we’ve had so far was Lala’s ship in Star Twinkle (Hikaru also piloted one of those flying police bikes briefly in Miracle Universe). This series already borrows a lot from Kamen Rider so why not give them some bikes as well?

Glasses are a good look for Komachi and I kind of wish she kept them, also I’m assuming Proto Rin over there eventually became Akane from Smile.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 7, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So this got posted recently:

https://twitter.com/neotheyoshare/status/1261842882966679554

Though it should be noted that this specifically mentions merchandise (so maybe some toys or figures of the previous two seasons) so there’s no guarantee we’ll get a new dub out of this but it’s definitely progress at least.

Personally, in terms of marketability I think the best choice in regards to what to adapt next would probably be Go Princess (KiraKira could also potentially work). I also hope that under Hasbro they wouldn’t cut any episodes this time around (or anything particularly important at the very least). Though of course I also wouldn’t mind if they dropped the “Glitter Force” title and went back to calling it Pretty Cure.

Out of curiosity, has Hasbro ever dubbed an anime before?

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

So this got posted recently:

https://twitter.com/neotheyoshare/status/1261842882966679554

Though it should be noted that this specifically mentions merchandise (so maybe some toys or figures of the previous two seasons) so there’s no guarantee we’ll get a new dub out of this but it’s definitely progress at least.

Personally, in terms of marketability I think the best choice in regards to what to adapt next would probably be Go Princess (KiraKira could also potentially work). I also hope that under Hasbro they wouldn’t cut any episodes this time around (or anything particularly important at the very least). Though of course I also wouldn’t mind if they dropped the “Glitter Force” title and went back to calling it Pretty Cure.

Out of curiosity, has Hasbro ever dubbed an anime before?

They're in charge of Power Rangers now afaik, which seems more complicated than just outsourcing an anime dub to Bang Zoom or something.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

blossommirage posted:

They're in charge of Power Rangers now afaik, which seems more complicated than just outsourcing an anime dub to Bang Zoom or something.

Also Toei took back the license from Saban specifically because for whatever reason they didn’t make any actual merchandise for either Smile or DokiDoki so it’s kind of unclear if Hasbro even could make a new dub if they wanted to.

Personally as long as it was done well I wouldn’t mind another attempt to bring the franchise to the west. At the very least it’d be nice to get some official Precure merch released stateside.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Having a way to get the SH Figuarts without using a proxy sure would be a big first step

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/ToeiAnimation/status/1262834148886016000?s=20

Toei posts something about precure in the west. Someone asks for official releases over here. Toei links to CR Futari wa. History repeats itself.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gotta love the Toei English Social media once a year troll

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

blossommirage posted:

https://twitter.com/ToeiAnimation/status/1262834148886016000?s=20

Toei posts something about precure in the west. Someone asks for official releases over here. Toei links to CR Futari wa. History repeats itself.

Ah yes, probably the one series where I would actually recommend the fansubbed version over the official release (as it’s just overall better in terms of both video and sub quality).

Actually I forget, who subbed Futari Wa/Max Heart and does the group still exist?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hey having a show on Crunchy be like an old 90's nth generation VHS fansub is a great reminder of the old days of anime

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In Precure news, during the hiatus Toei has been releasing cheap puppet show videos on their official YouTube channel featuring the Healin Good VAs:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=olk4s1OXfvk

There’s a few more on the channel itself starring the Healing Animals.

I am sort of curious what this hiatus is going to do to the usual schedule though. I’m guessing either Healin Good is going to be cut short a bit or the following season (and by extension every season afterwards) will just start a little later than normal.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 20, 2020

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Started watching the original Pretty Cure in the meantime, got to the end of Pissard's episodes yesterday. I think even Jadeite would be embarrassed by him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Started watching the original Pretty Cure in the meantime, got to the end of Pissard's episodes yesterday. I think even Jadeite would be embarrassed by him.

Indeed. Had you ever seen any seasons before or is this your first time?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
A decent amount since they're before Sentai and Rider anyway, and I watched a bit of this one years and years ago. I appreciate how much it feels like they were trying stuff out since it wasn't really a standardized franchise yet. Like the ending of episode six, where Black and White just go :fuckoff: and hit Gekidrago with Marble Screw right away once he appears before he even realizes what's going on. That doesn't really happen today.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I have a soft spot for Pissard because he's based off of a Japanese theater trope and as such is supposed to be Serious Business, but unfortunately for him the name and Labyrinth hair have got him doomed to laughing stock material in the West.

Futari Wa is genuinely my favorite Precure season and that's not even nostalgia speaking because it wasn't one of the first seasons I watched. I just really appreciate the weightiness of the action and the two leads are my favorite Cures ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

A decent amount since they're before Sentai and Rider anyway, and I watched a bit of this one years and years ago. I appreciate how much it feels like they were trying stuff out since it wasn't really a standardized franchise yet. Like the ending of episode six, where Black and White just go :fuckoff: and hit Gekidrago with Marble Screw right away once he appears before he even realizes what's going on. That doesn't really happen today.

I’ve always kind of had a soft spot for Futari Wa. It feels almost more like a shounen series that just happens to feature a primarily female cast. It also shares at least a director with DBZ so that explains why it’s a bit more action focused. Also the Nagisa/Honoka dynamic is one of (if not the) best in the franchise.

Though interestingly enough, Precure (as far as I know anyway) was not originally intended to become a franchise (much less one that now stands on almost the same level as Sentai and Kamen Rider) and as such was initially going to be a much shorter series (and it kind of shows once you get past the first 26 episodes). In my opinion the series didn’t really begin hitting its stride until Splash Star but there’s still some fun to be had with the original/Max Heart.